2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by jorge5240
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BAF1405C-5482-4637-B1EB-86E02E5E6230 (resized).jpeg
0AF9264D-4933-4C1E-961C-66E1799486E0 (resized).png
IMG_0273 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I'm going to get my daughter a dance game this June and there's 2 options and trying to figure out which one to get

1 - DDR Dance Dance Revoution by Konami
2 - Andamiro - Pump It up

DDR has arrows up and down, and left and right, which I heard is how dancers like to place their feet and it's more natural.

Pump it up has arrows in all the corners, top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom right. I've also read that this is a natural stance for dancers, but I have no idea which is better and who to believe on the dance forums.

Any input on which is better would be great - Thx.

#2 2 years ago

Plus I heard the music is better on DDR

#3 2 years ago

DDR is by far the better game. Better music, better arrow maps, and a better range of skill level accommodations. DDR has good arrow maps for beginners, and then there are maps that are basically as difficult as you could ever want. I used to be able to play most songs on expert and when I went to the arcade I would still inevitably get crushed by someone way better than me.

#4 2 years ago

DDR is fantastic - I miss my old DDR setup and would love to resurrect it someday.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

DDR is by far the better game. Better music, better arrow maps, and a better range of skill level accommodations. DDR has good arrow maps for beginners, and then there are maps that are basically as difficult as you could ever want. I used to be able to play most songs on expert and when I went to the arcade I would still inevitably get crushed by someone way better than me.

so the people on the DDR forums saying that Pump it up arrows are more natural feeling aren't correct? It looks like DDR is more natural to play. Thanks for your input.

#6 2 years ago

How much are DDR machines these days? Where does one even find ?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

How much are DDR machines these days? Where does one even find ?

I was going to buy a HUO for 3k Pump It Up NX, but it had some issues and had a CRT which makes it 70 lbs heavier.

So I'm going to buy one through M&P amusements. The shipping sucks at $650 and the unit is $3600.

However, they put in a LCD, repaint and put on new graphics, rebuild the floor pads plus 90 day warranty. Yes I'm probably spending $1 k more than I should, but peace of mind knowing it's solid is worth it today, especially when techs are $80/hr. Add to that if sensor parts start going bad on the floor pad or anything else, it can add up pretty quickly.

My daughter only likes WW and MM, which I sold and doesn't play the 20 games I have. She always loved DDR so I figured instead of getting another pinball for me and my wife that it's her turn.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

so the people on the DDR forums saying that Pump it up arrows are more natural feeling aren't correct? It looks like DDR is more natural to play. Thanks for your input.

The pump it up arrows MIGHT be more natural if you dance facing exactly one direction all the time. In DDR you rotate your lower body often to get the most advantageous position. You're rarely parallel to the screen so it has never felt uncomfortable. Basically, you'll be moving your whole body a lot, which to me feels a lot more like dancing.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

The pump it up arrows MIGHT be more natural if you dance facing exactly one direction all the time. In DDR you rotate your lower body often to get the most advantageous position. You're rarely parallel to the screen so it has never felt uncomfortable. Basically, you'll be moving your whole body a lot, which to me feels a lot more like dancing.

Thank you......I'm getting the DDR....thanks for your time and input!!!!!!

#10 2 years ago

I managed a Putt Putt and played the hell out of a Pump It Up there. A few years ago I got a Pump It Up for my arcade room and freaking loved it.

I had to sell it to generate funds for a home project and now want to buy one again.

I don't think I've ever played on a DDR so maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I had a blast on my PIU.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I managed a Putt Putt and played the hell out of a Pump It Up there. A few years ago I got a Pump It Up for my arcade room and freaking loved it.
I had to sell it to generate funds for a home project and now want to buy one again.
I don't think I've ever played on a DDR so maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I had a blast on my PIU.

I believe the one gentleman said that it's a more natural of a dance instead of being diagonal while dancing and you get more lower body movement than you would on a PIU

The PIU machines actually sell for $1,000 less, although they look better, the more popular ones wanted and being sold are DDR per M&P Amusements.

They are selling the DDR's to gyms and schools and it's the number 1 machine wanted

1 month later
#12 2 years ago

Got my Pump It Up home and boy it's a mess! Taking it apart, cleaning, painting, replacing the neon tubes with leds, peeling off the old decals with new ones courtesy of a talented Pinsider and brand new foot panels.

Does anyone have a lead on where I can find new PIU safety bars?

IMG_0273 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#13 1 year ago

Anyone have any spare Pump It Up foot sensor boards for sale?

5 months later
#14 1 year ago

Unlikely but does anyone have a spare power supply 12V 12A for my Pump It Up?

I’m getting only 9V from my current power supply. It’s not powering my new LEDs under the foot panels.

0AF9264D-4933-4C1E-961C-66E1799486E0 (resized).png

BAF1405C-5482-4637-B1EB-86E02E5E6230 (resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
8 months later
#16 6 months ago

Bump

For starting my search for DDR/Pump It Up. Looking for a solid version that is great for kids and casual for adults after a few drinks. Don’t really know much about these games except my wife really wants one and I think all the kids will love them.

It sounds like DDR is the the way to go, if so which version? I don’t mind spending some decent money on one of these but I want it to look nice and have most of the bells whistles.

Thanks, Mike

3 weeks later
#17 5 months ago

Found a pretty decent DDR for $2,200. What do you think. Price seems ok for California. It has all kinds of mods. What do you guys think?

#18 5 months ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Found a pretty decent DDR for $2,200. What do you think. Price seems ok for California. It has all kinds of mods. What do you guys think?

What version is it? Extreme?

#19 5 months ago

It is a ddrmax2 7th edition

#20 5 months ago

Bought the DDR. Anyone know the best resources for replacement parts? It is pretty decent shape but I am going to give it some love.

#21 5 months ago

I'm on the low-key lookout for a solid DDR (not solo, but just about anything else). I've never worked on one or moved one, but I know they are very heavy. Do they come apart easily for transport? How small is the largest piece? Trying to figure out if I can move it in one truck/van load as I save my pennies.

It seems the price on DDR has gone up considerably in the past few years.

#22 5 months ago

I moved it in a 15 foot u haul van. That is the smallest I could get with ramp. You need to take the topper off because it would be too tall with it attached. The guy I bought it from separated the floor pads. I haven't had time to reassemble but does not seem bad at all. The main unit is very heavy. I don't know how you could do it without a ramp/lift gate. Also pretty wide, would not fit through a standard door. Mine is going in a garage, turned into game room space.

#23 5 months ago

My gameroom is a converted garage as well, so no worries there, but if it is too wide to fit on a standard truck, that's very good to know. Is the weight distribution reasonable enough to use a typical dolly to move the central part around?

#24 5 months ago

All on wheels, so very easy to move on flat ground. Just getting in out of truck or if you ever needed to get it up or down stairs would be hell.

#25 5 months ago

Oh, very easy. I looked up a manual for the original DDR to see how things were constructed. Pretty simple. Thanks for the help!

#26 5 months ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Bought the DDR. Anyone know the best resources for replacement parts? It is pretty decent shape but I am going to give it some love.

What do you need? Twisted Quarter has high-wear items like step plexis and switches, as I recall.

#27 5 months ago

I distinctly remember as a kid thinking that DDR was more fun and had better music. If you are asking from a which one is more fun perspective, one random guy on the internet vaguely remembers as a kid playing DDR a few times and thinking it was tons of fun and natural, but that Pump It Up was fun (not as much as DDR) and less natural feeling. I also distinctly remember DDR being 99% techno music, but that may have been my music taste at the time. I have not confirmed this, but I remember as a kid the DDR stuff was released for home consoles and seemed fairly popular because they seemed to drop a new version for the home console market every year. I don't remember pump it up ever getting a home release. I think the only other home dancing games besides DDR to get a series of home releases were ones with cameras that tracked movement instead of dance pads (look up "Just Dance Ghostbusters" on youtube for a good example).

Either one would be a good choice, but were I 12 I would prefer DDR.

3 weeks later
#28 4 months ago

I am starting my DDR clean up project and was wondering is anyone has used channel beats for parts? They seem to have the best selection of parts but are money wire only.

#29 4 months ago

Ordered a bunch of parts but still having problems tracking down the sub speakers since they are toast. Anyone have any options. I am probably just going to buy some speakers I think will work but I don't know if they will fit for sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.95
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 189.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
£ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 12.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 1,000.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside