3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,319 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by LukyDuck
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,477 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
A4A272C6-B8A6-4C6F-ACDE-87D399CBE16C.jpeg
86B322D2-A488-41C4-9097-2DFCCD6864E0 (resized).jpeg
DC9C1909-4168-4D89-BD1E-978CC523B399 (resized).jpeg
8A75ED99-E7B8-49A7-8058-3986E5817407 (resized).jpeg
F14298FC-98B5-4694-B5CC-2004A7DA556A (resized).jpeg
F0F328CB-8569-42FE-8C36-716116053E2F (resized).jpeg
89EA3179-1C47-4B4F-8759-6EE2E63C7728 (resized).jpeg
20200525_105445.jpg
47B36D21-F864-426C-BF17-347FD688935C (resized).jpeg
8189AAA7-A1DF-4316-B7AD-D75AE73A46D8 (resized).jpeg
9823BE5D-095F-47F4-9224-093B4A30E530 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200524_102213 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200524_100627 (resized).jpg
15902852228691067518975063693247 (resized).jpg
0B5B8DC3-49AC-44E1-8374-730364B69109.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#87 3 years ago

I had a great collection at one time. My dad had a bar with a DJ booth full of records from the 70's and 80's. I sifted through them as a teenager and pulled out hundreds along with all the stuff I collected from yard sales and flea markets. I hung on to some of the ones that I really liked, I'm honestly not sure what happened to the rest. I think they were lost in a move or something.

I got back in a couple years ago. I bought one of these.
amazon.com link »
I don't recall paying that much, but it seems like a great turntable. It has a built in preamp, to some this is it's downfall. There is a simple mod to remove the preamp circuitry completely I might do. It also has a switch to disable it. I built one of these from a kit.
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/bugle2
I don't see the un assembled version, maybe he doesn't sell kits anymore. I found the improvement to be huge with the preamp. Of course I wanted the improvement to be huge, so much of this stuff is tough to be non biased.

Come on over and listen to some vinyl and play some pinball!

1 year later
#2586 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I’m totally obsessed with Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk right now.
Also, another Pinsider recommended this affordable IKEA shelving that is a great storage solution for my album collection.

Game room looks great. Time for a party!

#2587 1 year ago

I decided to upgrade the setup a little after breaking my stock needle. I have an Audio Technica LP120 and I built one of these for a preamp.
https://www.hifizine.com/2014/03/assembling-the-bugle-2-phono-stage/
It sounded great, but I always felt like it was missing something. The LP120 has a preamp that you can bypass, but it's not a true bypass, so I pulled it out and rewired it. There are some really cool videos on Youtube on how to do it, it was very easy. One dude showed the before and after with a visual wave, really neat and a pretty big difference. I also upgraded the cartridge and shell with an Ortofon 2M. It sounds a lot better now. I'm not sure what made the difference, I'm guessing the cartridge. I feel like it's a lot fuller, especially in the low-mids. Now I need to find a better way to organize the vinyl, and dust more.

2018-07-10 19.49.05 (resized).jpg2018-07-10 19.49.21 (resized).jpg
#2597 1 year ago

I plan on hitting IKEA today to look for some storage. I've told myself for the last 2 or 3 years I'm going to build a sweet custom rack. It might be time for a temporary solution. I was going to catalog my collection while I organized it into the new bins. Has anyone used Discogs? Any tips? I hate going to a yard sale or flea market and not being sure if I already have it. I'm sure I will find doubles.

#2602 1 year ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Yes, I have my whole collection in Discogs. My pro tip would be to use the barcode scanner on the app when possible. It makes things 100x easier due to all the different pressings.

It didn't take me long at all to enter my entire collection. I didn't have as much as I thought, unfortunately none of them had any surprise value. Man, I wish I had my collection from when I was younger, I bet it was 3-400 albums.

#2613 1 year ago

This may be a stupid question, I've seen a few pics of what appears to be the 45 adapter on top of a 33. Is this supposed to add to stability or something? Is it something else?

#2615 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredso:

This may be a stupid question, I've seen a few pics of what appears to be the 45 adapter on top of a 33. Is this supposed to add to stability or something? Is it something else?

I see that it's a weight. Do you think it's a worthwhile purchase?

#2647 1 year ago

Impulse Amazon purchase last week. Garage Days sounds great. I haven't opened Puppets yet.

2018-07-17 19.13.00 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2677 1 year ago

Cheap furniture hack. I went with the IKEA Kallax. It works perfect for my space. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a back panel. I may eventually fit something for the back, but my 2 second fix was some strips of 3/4" x 3/4". It keeps the records all lined up, and pushes them a little forward. It looks much cleaner now. If I were to do it again I would have gone with something a little taller.

2018-07-24 21.12.23 (resized).jpg2018-07-24 21.12.38 (resized).jpg
#2678 1 year ago

My 2 latest late night internet shopping splurges. I've been looking for a decent deal on the Slash album for awhile. The Motorhead album was an impulse buy, I think it was $10 on Amazon. I'll never forget seeing Motorhead with Ozzy and Ugly Kid Joe in 92. It was Ozzy's No More Tours Retirement tour. Ha! Motorhead went on before Ugly Kid Joe, I'm still pissed off they put a one hit wonder in the better slot.

2018-07-24 21.13.46 (resized).jpg
#2714 1 year ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Although I agree with you about the slot order, I have to disagree with the "one hit wonder" comment. UKJ was far from a one hit wonder band. Two of their albums have gone double platinum and their album Menace to Sobriety, is in my opinion, their best album, that really never got recognized in the US.
Always been a fan and still listen to their albums regularly.

I don't dislike the band. I suppose Motorhead probably never had a "hit" on the level of Ugly Kid Joe, but the fact that they were icons, and Lemmy had lots of songwriting credit on No More Tears, it just seemed wrong. I didn't even know they had a second album, I'll have to check it out. Not sure where you are from, but in the US I hate Everything about You was huge, Cat's in the Cradle was a cover, and not nearly as big. I'm not sure if that counts. After that, they disappeared, at least from the mainstream. I do like their humor, unfortunately for them they were a few years too late.

#2738 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

So got my discount copy...happened to pull out this CD and couldn’t help but notice some resemblance.......long gone are the days of creative album art covers.....just a refresh of an iconic album cover.
But the new CD is pretty good.
[quoted image]

I ordered one when the sale was posted, mine still hasn't shipped. Is the picture disc the only artwork? I was hoping it would have a regular sleeve.

#2741 1 year ago

Doing some organization today and adding some plastic sleeves to the stuff that is valuable to me.

2018-08-04 14.53.19 (resized).jpg

2018-08-04 15.11.27 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2790 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Don’t you love it when a record you forgot about gets delivered!
[quoted image]

I saw that this was cheap on Amazon, but the reviews are pretty bad. On the quality of the pressing, not the album itself. There was one tune that skipped for a ton of reviewers. How is yours?

3 weeks later
#2869 1 year ago

I had Slayer's first album on vinyl. It wasn't a great album, but it was cool to have. I lost a box of albums in a move or something years ago and that was in it. I think it's worth a bunch of money now too, I paid $1 for it at a flea market in the early 90's.

1 week later
#2932 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All you guys who have crummy speakers and table, Newegg today (12 hours remaining) has a pair of Klispch Powered monitors + a ProJect Primary turntable for $239 !!!!
Has Bluetooth, Aux, USB or optical in so you can listen to Pandora or your Ipod.
Table alone is usually 3 bills, so....
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-00EF-000D5
Secret code = NEN9143
[quoted image]
ProJect review = https://www.whathifi.com/pro-ject/primary/review
Klipsch review = https://www.cnet.com/reviews/klipsch-reference-premiere-r-15pm-review/

I have a buddy looking for a setup and this would be perfect. Code doesn't work, must be expired.

Edit: Just read that you said 12 hours left, my bad.

1 week later
#2976 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you got a 6L ultrasonic, you clean all your records AND all your pinball harnesses and junk too...[quoted image]

I was about to pull the trigger on the Record Doctor. I've also been considering upgrading my crappy Harbor Freight ultrasonic to a 6L. What do you recommend if I go the ultrasonic route? The cheapest kit I could find was around $200 (not including the ultrasonic).

#2977 1 year ago

This seems like a very simple DIY solution. The ultrasonic is well reviewed, hopefully an upgrade from my HF one, not that I have any complaints about the HF ultrasonic, other than it being a little small at times. I may modify his mounting method, and add some bearings for the side opposite the motor, but this seems like a good starting point. I think even with some modifications I'd be well under the $200 of the commercial kit and basically have a free ultrasonic cleaner.

Edit: I just bought everything. I used the Radio Shack links. I opted to skip ebay and use Amazon, I paid a small premium but it will ship from the US. I have a Lowe's a mile down the road, so I will pick those items up and save shipping. My total was $195. I will post once I put everything together.

Added 20 months ago:

Edit #2. It may have helped to post the link!

#2991 1 year ago

I edited my old post, but it's a bit buried now. This is what I plan on basing my cleaner on.

I plan on modifying a few things. Let me know what you think.

3 weeks later
#3055 1 year ago

I just completed the DIY ultrasonic record cleaner. It's based on the video I linked a few posts ago. There were certainly some hiccups, but it works and it was cheap. The video leaves out some details, and I changed a few things. I haven't filled it yet to test how it actually cleans. I'm trying to think of a way to compare before and after cleaning. Cell phone video might have to do.

2018-10-15 19.42.27 (resized).jpg2018-10-15 19.42.51 (resized).jpg
#3059 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Looks great! Let us know.

So far I've cleaned 2 records. I had a flea market Back In Black that was a place holder until I found a nicer one. Lots of pops and cracks. The ultrasonic made it look almost new. The pops and cracks were virtually gone. Huge success. The second record was my original Appetite for Destruction. 10-15 year old me was not kind to records. I had written this one off and bought another copy. The record looked a million times better after cleaning, but obviously can't do anything about scratches from poor handling. I'd say the ultrasonic took that one from total garbage to a good yard sale find. I need to find a good drying and rinsing method. I rinsed with tap water and dried with an air compressor. Reintroducing my hard water is likely undoing some of the good I've done. I plan on modifying it to hold 3 records for more efficient cleaning. I've been considering a larger ultrasonic for a long time for pinball restoration, so I'm not figuring that into the cost. Total cost was probably less than $50 after the ultrasonic. It's so hard to be subjective when you work hard on something and spend money. Bring over some albums and tell me what you think.

1 week later
#3086 1 year ago

This came in today. Red Sox game tonight, it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I find it interesting that the band isn't crazy about this album. I think it's one of their best. I've been a fan since this album, saw them for the first time this summer with Slayer. Great show.

2018-10-24 23.01.22 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3170 1 year ago
Quoted from emkay:

The double-LP of Motley Crue's Greatest Hits is $10 on Amazon today.
amazon.com link »

I'm sort of done with Motley Crue, but I'm a sucker for a deal. Maybe after a few drinks and the magic of vinyl some of the love will come back. Thanks for the heads up.

1 week later
#3215 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Anyone have the metallica black album reissue? How's the sound quality? My experience with their other reissues is that they're God awful, but I've read that the black album is the exception. Wouldn't mind picking it up if that's the case.

I'm pretty happy with the remasters I've bought so far. I have Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Garage Days. I don't have a reference of an original vinyl, but I think they sound great. Admittedly the records start spinning on average 4 or 5 drinks in, but no way they are god awful. I likely won't buy any more because I'm an old Metallica snob. Ha!

5 months later
#3923 1 year ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

Love it, 1992 right before grunge hit a lot of my favorite music came out around then.
Probably why I like these guys so much, they have that vibe.
[quoted image]

I didn't know this was available on vinyl. You just cost me some money! I saw these guys at the Viper Room when the were Metal Skool, I've been a big fan ever since. I try and see them every time they come around, always a great show.

#3933 1 year ago

I may have found an old Technics 1200 turntable. It looks well used from a DJ setup. I’m wondering if it’s worth the hassle of cleaning it up, new cartridge, etc. What do these normally go for? I know at one point it was the go-to turntable. Would it be an improvement in this system?
Current setup
Audio Technica LP-120 with preamp removal mod and Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge
Klipsch Reference towers
Yamaha TSR-7810
Hagerman Bugle 2 preamp.

#3934 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I may have found an old Technics 1200 turntable. It looks well used from a DJ setup. I’m wondering if it’s worth the hassle of cleaning it up, new cartridge, etc. What do these normally go for? I know at one point it was the go-to turntable. Would it be an improvement in this system?
Current setup
Audio Technica LP-120 with preamp removal mod and Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge
Klipsch Reference towers
Yamaha TSR-7810
Hagerman Bugle 2 preamp.

Turned out to be a 220, not a 1200. Oh well.

3 weeks later
#3994 11 months ago

Today's haul. I found an antique store close to my work. Ended up extending my lunch break because of the volume of records. I found one room that was a little disappointing, picked a handful of cheap records so I didn't leave empty handed, then realized there was another room with the stuff that was more my speed. A few are in bad condition, and a few are stretches for me. $34 for the lot. At an average of $3.40 I don't mind if a couple end up heavily scratched or I don't like them.

2019-06-15 00.24.46 (resized).jpg
#4001 11 months ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Good stuff!
Where?!

http://www.thehistoryroom.com/

Really cool little spot. I plan on going back when I have a little more time. It's about 10 minutes from me, stop by for a few games and/or beers if you go.

#4021 11 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Let’s be “culture sensitive”.
Admit you listened to it and loved it!

[quoted image]

Sansa Stark is hot.

1 week later
#4077 11 months ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Does anyone have a Audio-technica at-lp120-usb direct-drive turntable?
Was wondering it was?
Any thoughts?

I've had this for a few years now. I've replaced the cartridge and did the mod to remove the preamp. I think it sounds great. I don't have much to compare it to. I've only owned one other turntable in my life. I think it was a Sound Design, had the turntable, dual cassette and AM/FM tuner all in one! I drove every speaker I could find with it, I thought it was great in the 80's, but I was probably 10 years old. I don't think that would hold up today. Ha! Anyway, the LP- 120 seems to be widely regarded as an excellent entry level turntable.

2 weeks later
#4151 10 months ago
Quoted from TVsFrank:

Had a friend go to SD Comic Con, asked if I wanted anything. He’s a good friend...[quoted image]

I'm a huge Anthrax fan, I hope they release a retail version and it's not limited because I would love one of those.

1 week later
#4200 10 months ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Cranked this yesterday[quoted image]

I really hope they release a retail version of this. If anyone snagged one and doesn't care for it I'd gladly pay!

#4201 10 months ago

My weekend flea market score.

2019-07-31 22.00.26 (resized).jpg
#4208 9 months ago
Quoted from Thunderpants:

You did well.
It's difficult to find bargains in flea markets these days.
All the good stuff has been combed out already.
I am a little sad over the state of the vinyl scene, at least in Europe. I guess it's not too different from pinball, surfing and so on.
A lot of people in it only for the money now

I didn't say how much I paid! I think they were all $10 each. Considering the condition of the jackets, I may have paid too much. Raising Hell is in rough shape. The other 2 are pretty good. Neither Run DMC has a liner, just a plastic cover. All 3 of the actual albums looked great though. Looking forward to cleaning them up and giving them a spin.

#4214 9 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

If the vinyl looks good, that's really what matters. An outer cover in descent shape is nice.
I keep a pack of sleeves around. It's nice to protect an original sleeve from getting damaged by putting the record in a new one. Also works great for those you find that don't have one.
amazon.com link »

I believe I have these exact ones, they are great. I don't mind replacing the sleeve, but I do like to read the liner notes while listening, and those are missing as well.

1 week later
#4243 9 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Anyone played the BKSoR or TNA records yet? Any other pinball vinyl to go viral?

I've been trying to get a copy of BKSoR. Hopefully they release a normal version. The ones on ebay are asking stupid money.

1 month later
#4394 8 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Here’s a poll question.. vinyl independent..
Do you prefer your speaker grills on or off?
(The rug makes the room...)
[quoted image]

I have similar speakers and I love the look of them off, but I always end up putting them back on. I blame the kids, and pets, and probably mostly another thing to store somewhere. I haven't done a sound comparison. The kids are a little older, grills might have to go in the attic.

#4405 8 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Thrift store shopping... never know what you'll find.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Is that a 12" 45? I have a cool GnR 12" 45, I swear it sounds better than the 33 1/3. It's also the only official (I think?) release on vinyl that has Whole Lotta Rosie until recently. The new super deluxe whatever one has it, and they made it sound like some never released track. It's been around forever on bootlegs, but this is the first Geffen pressing I've seen. Anyway, great find on the Prince.

2019-09-30 21.58.58 (resized).jpg
#4406 8 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Is that a 12" 45? I have a cool GnR 12" 45, I swear it sounds better than the 33 1/3. It's also the only official (I think?) release on vinyl that has Whole Lotta Rosie until recently. The new super deluxe whatever one has it, and they made it sound like some never released track. It's been around forever on bootlegs, but this is the first Geffen pressing I've seen. Anyway, great find on the Prince.[quoted image]

2019-09-30 22.05.13 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4611 6 months ago

For anyone that missed the Swords of Rage vinyl and doesn't want to spend $150 on ebay there is a new "Fire Edition"
https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/collectibles/products/black-knight-lp

2 months later
#4875 3 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Anybody else do the Time Life thing back in the day?[quoted image]

I have Time Life's Classical Thunder on CD, does that count? Still comes up on random play on occasion and it's still great. I did a quick search and it doesn't seem like it was released on vinyl. Vinyl wasn't hip in 1994 I guess.

3 weeks later
#4985 71 days ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

[quoted image]

How does it sound? I played mine for a minute and was super disappointed in the sound quality. Ended up going with State of Euphoria instead. Haven't gone for the sober revisit yet.

1 week later
#5021 62 days ago
Quoted from waldo34:

A favorite 80's soundtrack.[quoted image]

Almost busted this out last night. For some reason "The Heat is On" popped into my head while I was cooking. It may have had something to do with turning the heat on.

#5037 61 days ago

Maybe this belongs in the confessional thread. I decided to give this Swords of Rage another listen while sober to see if it's as bad as I thought. Mushy guitar sounds, sounds like they are tuned down to an odd tuning, programmed drums sound weird, guitar solos sound sloppy, overall quality is awful. I found the download card to compare. Everything sounds much tighter on the digital version, much better sound quality. I decided to compare them side by side, doesn't even sound like the same recording. The LP has a slower tempo.... oh no. I couldn't be this dumb, could I? Somehow the pitch adjust slider was maxed. I think at most it was 10% flat, but that was enough to make it sound awful. I wonder how long it's been like this? Admittedly, most of the time I spin vinyl I've had a few drinks, but I'm a bit disappointed in myself.

2020-03-28 10.17.23 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5109 44 days ago

I built an attachment to clean records in the ultrasonic awhile ago. I cleaned a few records with great results, and never bothered with the rest of the collection. Is anyone else doing this? I bought some Triton X-100 but I can't find the recipe for the cleaner. I know it was distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and the Triton. The thing I never figured out, and probably why I stopped using it was rinsing and drying. Any tips? I'm working from home and could easily swap out records all day.

2 weeks later
#5173 28 days ago

I decided to revisit my ultrasonic vinyl cleaner. I found some decent 3d print options on Thingiverse that would allow me to clean multiple albums at the same time. I pretty much started from scratch, I think the motor I have is better than the one this uses, but it was cheap. It's based on this model.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4153763

The rinse is just a Tupperware container and I manually spin it around. I feel like this is the weakest point. I've seen people do a sink rinse before the distilled water rinse, but we have really hard water. i think I will add a 2nd rinse station for the next batch.

The dryer is some left over flooring hacked together with a PC case fan. I'm moving the same rotating motor from the cleaner. I wish I spent a little more time planning, 15 more minutes and this hack prototype would have been nice. I may look into a more powerful fan. I'm not sure if I'm seeing water spots, residue from the cleaning solution, or just wear.

So far what I've listened to has been amazing. A lot of what I'm cleaning are cheap Flea Market finds. I'm holding off on my new vinyl until I perfect the process.
2020-04-28 21.13.06 (resized).jpg2020-04-30 11.03.55 (resized).jpg2020-04-30 11.04.08 (resized).jpg2020-04-30 14.33.42 (resized).jpg2020-04-30 14.33.51 (resized).jpg2020-04-30 14.33.58 (resized).jpg

#5196 26 days ago

It really was a terrible medium. I appreciate it's importance, but I have no intention of ever revisiting it.

1 week later
#5238 16 days ago

I had a childhood flashback the other day. Peter and the Wolf, orchestral version. I looked for it on Discogs and there are 1,000 versions. I very vaguely remember a "cartoony" cover, but I'm not sure. Can anyone recommend a release to look for?

#5240 16 days ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Was it a Disney release ? They have done a few versions all with different, hand drawn covers.

No idea, it was probably first grade in music class. I don't recall any narration. Like I said, blurry memory. Any version would probably do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.25
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 19.00
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Toppers
COINTAKER.COM
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 219.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Habos Arcade
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 3.00
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside