IMG_4682 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4683 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0193 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0191 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0186 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0185 (resized).jpeg
20240421_190833 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lftwng4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8412 1 year ago

Picked this up at an unexpectedly good used record shop. Cover is a “C” but the vinyl is super clean. Such a great underrated album, I will never walk past either the first two Scorpions or first two UFO albums.

image.jpgimage.jpg
1 week later
#8466 1 year ago

That first Psychedelic Furs album is spectacular.

#8468 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

start with Blues for the Red Sun.... then Welcome to Sky Valley! ..(thank me later )

Have you guys checked out an Italian band called Lee Van Cleef? Totally got a great stoner groove, and I'm not a big fan of instrumental bands, but they do it well.

1 week later
#8526 1 year ago

Born Again is a great, underrated album. A couple of throwaway songs, but Zero the Hero and Disturbing the Priest are standouts. Still got my vinyl I bought when it came out. I saw that tour at the Toledo Sports Arena, possibly with Night Ranger opening. They even had the Stonehenge stage set. And Bev Bevan drumming!

#8531 1 year ago

One of my wife's best friends is a huge Flickerstick fan. I think she went to one of their shows a month or two back. Some kind of reunion, maybe it was a fan reunion. Don't know, they never interested me.

1 week later
#8604 1 year ago

All those Australian bands and no mention of The Birthday Party?

#8635 1 year ago

This just came in today's mail.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8638 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Just looked them up, I'll have to track down a Rezn album.

Yeah, they're gaining some traction after several albums. I like 'em a lot.

1 week later
#8723 1 year ago

Edit
Double post

151C0F1C-0EB0-42A4-BA24-019925998341 (resized).jpeg151C0F1C-0EB0-42A4-BA24-019925998341 (resized).jpeg
#8724 1 year ago

A couple years ago I caught Eternal Champion at a metal fest. I was there for Cirith Ungol, but enjoyed almost every band that played. Anyways, I like to see bands "cold", in that I don't go out of my way to familiarize myself with their catalogs. Eternal Champion was way better than expected. Kinda cartoonish, as their singer is a big muscle bound guy, kinda fits the image, but he had a great voice. Pretty sure he was wielding a sword on-stage at some point. I always wonder what that guy does for a living.

E9CBE76F-44C6-48E3-9D8F-3FF7BE4AB621 (resized).jpegE9CBE76F-44C6-48E3-9D8F-3FF7BE4AB621 (resized).jpeg
#8751 1 year ago

One of my favorite frontmen died at age 55 a few days ago.
RIP Dave Sherman.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8765 1 year ago

Saw these guys open last night for The Obsessed. If you haven't checked them out, you should.

#8780 1 year ago

I had no idea Mikkey Dee was drumming with the Scorpions.

1 week later
#8893 1 year ago

Been listening to this in my car a lot lately-sadly not available on vinyl
Which naturally led me to these-both OG vinyl on Silent Explosion.
I vastly prefer this era White Zombie to the "stripper club soundtrack" later in their career.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#8996 1 year ago

Got this a few days ago. It's the band Midnight(from Cleveland) doing a Motörhead homage. Recorded back in 2014 but just released. And it's really good.

4 weeks later
#9215 1 year ago

Weird how suddenly it seems Big Mama Thornton is finally getting acclaim for "Hound Dog". Seems I can't turn around without seeing her name.

Just got this in the mail today.

3 weeks later
#9447 1 year ago

We went to Third Man Records in Detroit last weekend. Picked up a couple of things.
The last ep and lp from the Laughing Hyenas. This band was as intense as any in their heyday. John Brannon is still scary as hell today.
Also picked up the L7 lp. Larissa Strickland's band prior to the Hyenas. RIP Larissa.
And a live Jesus and Mary Chain 7". Recorded at the Fox Theater 2018. Loud and distorted.
Say what you want about Jack White: his label puts out some cool stuff.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1 month later
#9922 1 year ago

This ep perfectly captures everything I like about Pussy Galore.
"Pretty Fuck Look" and "Spinout" are the essence of rock and roll.image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#9926 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Victim of Changes !!!
Judas Priest, Sad Wings of Destiny
The Priest finds it sound and its Destiny on its sophomore album.
Tyrant, Genocide, Ripper and Victim of Changes became Priest live staples, and a blue print for a thousand other bands.
Perfection.
Japan 3rd press... ??
[quoted image][quoted image]

I love that album. Their 70's output makes up for all the sins of the embarrassing latter 80's albums.

#9947 1 year ago

All you that like King Gizzard et al, how do you feel about Tropical Fuck Storm? I know they're mates and all, but neither band has clicked for me. I've got a friend who loves TFS and gave me a couple of their records, I've run through Braindrops about 10 times and Meh. I know King Gizzard is very prolific, and I own nothing, so obviously I haven't heard all that much from them, but what I have didn't move me either. Anyone care to compare and contrast the 2 bands?

#9985 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Heavy Phych Sounds has reissued the Nebula catalogue.
Just picked up Apollo, on blue Vinyl.
Gatefold sleeve.
Nebula is a spin off band from Fu Manchu, more phych sounding than the Fu.. but still bringing the Fu Fuzz.
This was the last Nebula album with Ruben Romano on Drums. He was the original drummer in the Fu then Nebula, after this album he formed the Freeks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

We've got tickets for Nebula and The Atomic Bitchwax in March. Not sure which Nebula is gonna show up, hope it's the good one.

#10017 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Symptom of the Universe !!
Black Sabbath, Sabotage.
Purple Marble Vinyl.
Check out the excellent Sabotage documentary on YouTube, amazing that a band in so much turmoil could record such a Masterpiece.

I'll have to check out that documentary. Sabotage is my favorite of the Ozzy era.
Just a great album start to finish. I was in college the first time I heard Megalomania. Already a Sabbath fan, but that one was new to me.
Good stuff.

1 week later
#10133 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Double Shot of Dio !!
Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow.
Man on the Silver Mountain was the first Metal song I fell in love with as a kid.
Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell... to me maybe the greatest Metal album of all time..
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dio's lyrics on his Rainbow albums were at their peak, IMO. That band was strong and underrated.
When he joined Sabbath, he revitalized a dying band, and essentially created a whole new genre of metal.
What a spectacular 10 year run, despite how cheesy his solo career became.

1 week later
#10348 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I feel compelled to keep posting what's spinning! So here's some Solace \m/
[quoted image]

Nice to see some Solace posted on here. That band was mighty when Jason was their singer.
I saw them several times back in the day and they were terrific.

#10423 1 year ago

I think Blackmore just shines on Burn. Coverdale and Hughes trading vocals? Good stuff, easily my favorite Deep Purple album.

1 week later
#10541 1 year ago

My wife and I went and saw The Atomic Bitchwax and Nebula last night.
Picked up an album from each band.
She went record store shopping prior to the show, bought a couple of bootlegs(probably)

WIN_20230310_12_41_17_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230310_12_41_17_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230310_12_47_12_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230310_12_47_12_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230310_12_42_05_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230310_12_42_05_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230310_12_42_17_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230310_12_42_17_Pro (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10610 1 year ago

Sometimes I get a fair amount of "rumble" between tracks, I've got an isolation mat, a record clamp, it didn't seem to have this noise for the first couple of years I had this turntable, but it's a thing now for the past 5-7 years. Weird thing is it doesn't seem to do it on all my records, but certainly on most. Any ideas?
Pro-ject Debut III with a late 80's JVC RX-550V.

WIN_20230318_15_25_14_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230318_15_25_14_Pro (resized).jpg
#10612 1 year ago

Several records came in the mail this week.
2022 effort from Candlemass. They brought the OG singer back for the last few.
He sounds a bit "throatier", leaning in the direction of Dio. And music is consistently Candlemass.
Good stuff. Nice double vinyl but only 3 sides of music. Side 4 is etched or something.
Napalm Records.

WIN_20230318_15_26_09_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230318_15_26_09_Pro (resized).jpg
#10618 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Does it have a million hours on it where it might need a new bearing?
I think they are nylon on those, so it will wear out sometime

Well, I use it, not fastidiously, but it would get 2-10 hours a week maybe, I dunno. Certainly not all the time, as often my wife doesn't want to hear what I like. But yeah, never really thought about a bearing.
Our local audio snob dealer turned his nose up at working on it.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

Maybe re-check the cartridge alignment? Is it motor noise bleeding through?

I replaced the needle once or twice, most recently after trying several other things to make the noise go away. Neve messed with the cartridge.
I'm a bit out of my element with that stuff, and see above for our local help.
Now that I look at it, it does look like there's some adjustment available, but it appears to be tight. Play with it a bit tomorrow.

2 weeks later
#10752 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Album cover is great... Tony on the road to Vegas probably.....looking lost
Its appropriate.
He was lost in the rock n roll wilderness, the last man standing in Black Sabbath.
Black Sabbath, Seventh Star, Japan Pressing.
Its actually a good album, Glen Hughes is great, but its more of a general Hard Rock album than Sabbath, but I like that.

I read a book a couple years ago(I can't remember the title, it might have been written by Martin Popov) and the takeaway for me was that Iommi was just trying to keep the band going. Like he didn't have anything else to do, it was almost sad. Dark times for metal in the 80s for the most part.
I'm glad that Sabbath has gotten their due respect by now. They certainly deserve it.

#10755 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Rainbow, Long Live Rock n Roll.
Japan Pressing.
The Gates... of Babylon!!!
Dio's vocals on Babylon are amazing.
[quoted image]

Love this album. Dio and Blackmore were at the height of their power.

#10789 1 year ago

My favorite UFO album

WIN_20230409_14_50_00_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230409_14_50_00_Pro (resized).jpg
#10790 1 year ago

And while we're on the subject of favorite albums that are at the beginning of an artist's career:

WIN_20230409_14_51_44_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230409_14_51_44_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230409_14_52_00_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230409_14_52_00_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230409_14_52_37_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20230409_14_52_37_Pro (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10876 1 year ago

2022 Peaceville pressing. Sounds pretty good. Seminal album, IMO.

B3A5FF89-A59A-420B-B1BB-D991E341B78B (resized).jpegB3A5FF89-A59A-420B-B1BB-D991E341B78B (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#10955 11 months ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Angel Witch, ST, 1980.
2016 repress on black and red Vinyl.
Year Zero of the NWOBHM, Angel Witch's savage debut album.

I love this album. Still got my OG copy from way back.

1 week later
#11016 11 months ago

Speaking of Man's Ruin, does anyone remember the show that was on 20+ years ago that featured surfing, skating, snowboarding, etc. mostly to a soundtrack of Man's Ruin bands? It might have been called Blue Note TV or something like that? It was on some sports channel I think. I got turned on to a lot of good stuff back then. I tried to find it several years ago but came up with nothing.

4 weeks later
#11131 10 months ago

I love Judas Priest, but that album is not a favorite of mine.
And then they did the Johnny B Goode cover. Simply awful.
It's a good thing they had put out Sad Wings..., Sin After Sin, Unleashed in the East, etc. prior to that mistake.

1 week later
#11175 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

What a completely awesome picture.

4 weeks later
#11292 9 months ago

This has been getting a lot of play in my house lately. Acid Mothers Temple is not quite my thing, but Lee Van Cleef just slays. If you like heavy psych, you gotta check these guys from Italy out. Guitar tone is fantastic, drenched in reverb, would love to see them play in a small club.
1449DB69-BAF4-48BC-8237-B97A290C5667 (resized).jpeg1449DB69-BAF4-48BC-8237-B97A290C5667 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#11364 8 months ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

CIRITH UNGOL, King of the Dead. OG 1984 pressing.
Cirith Ungols second album.
Found this minty copy a couple months back..
I ignored this band forever, thinking it was some garbage Eurotrash death metal band..
Turns out they are from Ventura California from the 70's..
To me they sound like a cross between Master of Reality Sabbath and Judas Priest.
Absolutely love this album, its already in my top 100 metal albums.. wish I heard it back in the 80's.
Highly recommended.

Look at my Avatar....

The guitar solo on Master of the Pit is perfection.
We actually saw them live a few years ago in Chicago at a big TNWHM fest at Reggies. They were a bucket list band for me. I never thought I'd get to see them live. Tim(singer) still sounded great. Probably because they never played out much in the 45 years they've existed as a band. Their bassist is a younger guy, he's also their manager and is credited for getting those guys back together and finally getting the accolades that are so deserved. He's also the leader of the band Night Demon, which is another retro-sounding band.
And yes, I first heard of Cirith Ungol way back on that first Metal Massacre album.

2 weeks later
#11391 8 months ago

I wish I could walk into a local record store and find a few Hawkwind albums.

#11416 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

https://thesoundofvinyl.us/
National Record Day, 20% offf everything code = VINYLDAY20
[quoted image]

This album is a huge guilty pleasure of mine.

#11444 8 months ago
Quoted from ntstlgl1970:

One of my latest vinyl purchases[quoted image]

I've bought a couple of the Spacemen 3 repressings, it seems that they sound a little "thin".
Good stuff nevertheless.

2 months later
#11628 6 months ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Motörhead, Snake Bite Love.
Newer repress.
The beginning of the late power trio era of excellence, that would continue till Lemmys passing.
Love this album.

I almost didn't recognize Lemmy. Because he's smiling.

#11645 6 months ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Uriah Heep, Very Eavy Very Umble, Heeps 1970
debut album.
1972 Japan second press. Gatefold.
Just picked this up recently, one of Heeps best[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love this album. Gypsy is such a great song.

1 week later
#11694 5 months ago

RIP Rachel Nagy.

2 months later
#12119 3 months ago

I remember half-speed mastering by Mobile Fidelity(I think) was the rage in the late 70's-early 80's. I've still got copies of Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here on that label. Honestly, I don't have a very fine ear, and I doubt I could tell the difference then or now.

1 week later
#12227 3 months ago

I saw the Freeze Frame tour as well. Interestingly, Aldo Nova may have been the opening band.

1 month later
#12683 57 days ago

Weird. John 5 was Rob Zombie’s guitarist? And an early guitarist for White Zombie was Tom 5.

1 week later
#12792 45 days ago

I'm digging that Early Moods. I think they just played in Hamtramck, but I don't get out to see many bands any more.

#12833 40 days ago
Quoted from Dragon:

I own only one of these two things.. the other is from a summer car show

That is such a great album. His tone is perfect.

#12842 39 days ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I ❤️ Stiv Bators.

4 weeks later
#12996 11 days ago

Just got this yesterday in the mail. Nice to see the evolution of this band over the years as they move away from the Electric Wizard worship into a more black metal vibe. Good stuff.

#13028 7 days ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Fu Manchu, Go For It Live, 2 LP, Gatefold.
New 20th anniversary Repress
Recorded on the California Crossing tour.
If you've never heard the Fu, this is a great entry point, great selection of the first 10 years of Fuzz Riffs.
Highly recommended.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I can't believe that album is 20 years old.

#13052 5 days ago

I'm not a big fan of RSD, it seems like it's usually just a bunch of repressings and leftovers, overpriced and over hyped.
But it's cool to see Witchfinder General, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, Come, Voivod, and The Sisters of Mercy have stuff offered up. I doubt I'll make an effort to track anything down though.

#13060 5 days ago
Quoted from Notapinwiz:

I don't mind supporting my local record stores.
I'm all for it as i only started listening to vinyl 11ish years ago. You can find 70's and 80's stuff all day long now, but the 90's i was buying CD's so that's much harder or too expensive to find until recently for 25-30 year anniversaries. I'll gladly take a Tool - Aenima record store day repress anyday if they ever make one.

I don't mind supporting record stores, but I tend to do it all year round. I do appreciate that some of the shops have live music or other events during the day. I wish there were more unique or new recordings available, instead of repressings/picture discs or leftovers/live recordings.

#13110 43 hours ago

We actually went to a record store Saturday(Rotten Princess Records in Grayling, MI) and I looked at a few things. That GBI 7" caught my eye, but I didn't get it. We did pick up a used copy of Goat's Head Soup for our nieces. Slight regret on not buying that single, but whatever.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lftwng4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl?tu=lftwng4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.