20240416_132713 (resized).jpg
20240416_132452 (resized).jpg
20240416_132702 (resized).jpg
IMG_4604 (resized).JPG
2024-04-15 19.35.53 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240416_153616 (resized).jpg
20240416_153439 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 7 years ago

I'm another one of you in the 1000s of records categories. I buy anything that looks cool.

I also DJ, scratch, and make beats so I've got 4 Technics 1200s (2 M3Ds and 2 M5Gs) and the coveted Vestax Controller 1 turntable that has pitch settings in key so you can play notes with your samples.

I've spent so many hours digging and listening and scratching with records that it's really heavily ingrained in my family. I've found records in some of the most obscure places because I'm always on the hunt.

I'm just now putting the finishing touches on an 80s mix I've been working on for years. It's all 12" single versions of songs (with extended parts that even sound better because of the way they are pressed). So, continuously mixed the 12" versions of the base songs together and then added 100s of samples from all different types of soundtracks, video game records, etc. (anything 80s). I'll try to post it here when I finish.

1 week later
#219 7 years ago
Quoted from pabloshootagain:

Let's see if you can guess what is this ? Maybe you're too young !!
I was in first grade of high school (1979 )

Wow, overseas pressing. I've never seen that one. I did find one of the early presses with the red label and the orange sleeve. About 20 years ago I came across a bunch of new old stock Sugar Hill 12"s. No Rappers Delight or the Message but there were Treacherous Three, Crash Crew and West Street Mob 12's in there. I got doubles of as many as I could. I still think my favorite is the Funky 4+1 "That's the Joint"

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I love that Newbury Comics sells new vinyl buy good lord is it expensive! Just dropped like $50 on two records. Keep me away from there!

The whole vinyl reissue thing going on now is a blessing and a curse. It really only makes sense to buy a new reissue if the record you're looking for is rare and expensive. For example, the Twin Peaks soundtrack just came out on reissue. Originals had gotten well over $50 so the reissue becomes a "deal". In most cases its better to hop on discogs and buy the original for less, or get lucky and find what you're looking for at a used record spot.

The other nice thing about some of these reissues is I'm seeing film "scores" (not soundtracks with the popular songs featured in a movie, but scores with the cinematic music). In lots of cases the scores were never released back in the day and lots of stuff is just now being released for the first time. I guess technically they're not reissues, but they are just older music seeing the light of day way after it was made.

I just kind of wish they'd calm down on the colored vinyl. While I've found exceptions to the rule, the colored vinyl usually sounds worse and wears out faster.

2 months later
#251 7 years ago

The Gremlins Score just arrived in the mail yesterday. This thing is awesome! Hidden cover art shows up when you expose the cover to sunlight and hidden sleeve art shows up if you get the sleeve wet.
https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/gremlins-2xlp-free-domestic-shipping

Mondo-Gremlins-2_1200_1172_81_s (resized).jpgMondo-Gremlins-2_1200_1172_81_s (resized).jpg

Gremlins_S2_WW_1024x1024 (resized).jpgGremlins_S2_WW_1024x1024 (resized).jpg

#253 7 years ago

Oh yeah, the half-speed mastered discs are great.

1 month later
#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

That's a pretty great eclectic list, reminds me of my own tastes. Good luck finding old hip hop records on vinyl. I almost never come across them.

The thing about hip hop is that the 12" singles were often produced in greater numbers than the LPs. There is a long tradition of groups putting out a series of 12" singles and then the album following, sometimes years later, or sometimes not at all. I prefer the 12"s to the LPs by far! A ton of good stuff never reached LP, or the remix is better and the only place to get it is the 12".

Depending on where you live, there might not be a lot of 12"s in the local store, but they are all over the place online and are super-cheap now compared to 15 years ago. Records like Gang Starr and Big L used to always run $15.00-$20.00 a pop but now I'm seeing them for $3.00-$5.00. A lot of the DJs have switched over to digital and the newer vinyl crowd doesn't seem aware or interested in the singles so the prices have dropped dramatically. If you can get to a decent shop in an urban area they are likely to have tons and tons of hip hop 12"s.

Another thing is that shop owners don't always put the 12"s out with the other records. I was in this little shop in West Virginia of all places and asked the owner if he had any 12"s. He digs way in the back and pulls out a crate telling me "nobody buys 12"s". I pulled a very rare early hip hop 12" by "Pookie Blow" out of that crate for $5 (it's worth at least $100) along with early stuff on Enjoy records, etc.

#316 7 years ago

45s are the other thing not to overlook. If you are into Soul Music, 45s are where its at. The LPs were afterthoughts.

2 weeks later
#374 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

The Shure is great for 45's or older records, plus it is pretty non damaging. If you had the red or blue, pass on the Nagaoka. It's nothing special.

I have LOTs of experience with Shure M44-7s because I've been using them for scratching for almost 20 years. They have great tracking and a nice loud output, plus they last forever, but I'm not sure I'd ever recommend them for strictly listening purposes.

I have a mid-level Grado stylus (either green or blue I think) that I use for listening and sampling and its noticeably better than the Shure for sound quality. Now, if you want to cut it up fresh, get the Shures, no doubt.

#402 7 years ago

Anyone like the Beastie Boys?

Here are some excerpts from my collection:

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Awesome! I miss those guys.
What was that Country Mike D album, hah.

Haha, yes! That's the elusive "Country Mike" album where Mike D hit is head and turned into a Country Music singer.

#407 7 years ago

... reportedly

#419 7 years ago

I've been digging for a LONG time and I have to say that Zappa records are just not that easy to come by, especially on the cheap. One Size Fits all may be the only one I've ever found below $10. Zappa fans are just that hard core. I've got lots George Duke records though.

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Here are some pics. If this isn't allowed please let me know and I will promptly delete them. Thank you in advance for any help on these as it's completely out of my hobby interests.

Your best bet is to get on discogs.com, look up the individual records/sets, and see if they have any value. Like any collectible, only certain records have much value, and the game is changing constantly. My guess, is that those records are not that valuable because symphony music is not really "hot" among collectors. If he had a huge batch of funk 7"s you'd be much more likely to have something. That being said, there are some audiophiles that are heavily into certain presses of classical music and those types of records can be really valuable.

#442 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Funk 7's. First time I've heard that!
Bought this James Brown around '70 at my local Roses 5 & Dime department store.
WELL worn cover from lots of enjoyment.
The lady made some smart remark at checkout... guess it was that 15 yo white kid in Eastern NC buying "Sex Machine".

Yep, https://www.discogs.com/Manzel-Space-Funk-Jump-Street/release/1248059

#469 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Awesome! Did that odelay originally come out in vinyl at all? I'm guessing thats new repressing?

Yes, I can confirm because I bought in on LP when it first came out.

1 week later
#517 7 years ago
Quoted from barkerlake:

Nice. I have an original GodWeenSatan on the Twin/Tone label.

Pretty rare! They used to go for lots more money until they started repressing them.

1 week later
#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Same boat here. I can say the following about Beck on vinyl: Sea Change is tremendous on vinyl. Every pressing that I've heard or heard of is fantastic, my only issue with it is whatever you play after it sounds like absolute dogshit lol, unless it's.... Mutations which also sounds outstanding. Odelay is one of my favorite albums ever but the re-issue is just ok. They jammed about 70 mins on a single disc so the sound is going to suffer. Guero is sweet and a little better sound wise. That's all I have, hope it helps.

I was once at a Beck show (this was during the Mutations tour and he was playing pretty small venues) and people were yelling out songs they wanted him to play, so I yell out "play some Wu Tang!" and sure enough, Beck goes into playing an acoustic version of Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nothin' Ta Fuck Wit.

1 week later
#675 7 years ago

Hey pinside vinyl club, check out my 100% vinyl '80s Mix.

I took over 100 records and blended and scratched them all together into a continuous, hour-long pop/electro mix. Lots of 12" singles, promos, and other rare oddball records from the 80s with video game samples and stuff like that.

You can listen to/download the whole mix here.
https://www.tablist.net/audio/jbs-jockin-80s

I also did a video for the first 3 minutes where I show all the that records I used for that segment (20 or so) so you can get a visual for how all the records are worked in.

Here's the track list

JB's Jockin' The '80s (Track Listing) (resized).jpgJB's Jockin' The '80s (Track Listing) (resized).jpg

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

They're going to love me at work tomorrow! LOL!
Thanks a bunch!

Nice. Thanks for listening.

By the way, if anybody has trouble downloading (as opposed to streaming the file) just right click on the mp3 link and it should start downloading.

#685 7 years ago

I love how record store day is now saying "support your local record store, not flippers" yet still seems to artificially limit numbers which is the main thing that drives the flipping.

2 weeks later
#744 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

So. I have several different turntables and would like to leave 2 set up. Anybody have any special way they hook up 2 tables to a receiver with only 1 phono input?

There are various 2 channel mixer and switcher options out there. You may also look at what are often called "direct boxes" which tends to mean any number of things but there are some that operate as limited feature mixers. The more limited options would just have plugs in and out. "Mixers" are often going to give you volume gain controls, eqs, and the ability to adjust the mix coming from each channel. There are very cheap and very expensive routes. An "A/B" switcher won't give you the ability to mix the sounds at all, just select one deck or the other. The mixer will do everything the switcher will do, plus mix (and also add any other number of features).

The other thing you could do is buy a seperate phono preamp and feed one of your decks into that. The pre-amp will convert the phono level to a line level and then you can input your turntable into one of your receiver's line-level inputs (CD, Tape, Aux, etc.). The seperate pre-amp will probably sound better than your receivers built-in preamp anyway.

#750 7 years ago

I see Songs in the Key of Life in there. Does it still have the 7" that came with it?

Also, the B-Side to that 3rd Bass 12" in nice. Derelicts of Dialect!

#753 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

DANG Burglar, you gave me a BIG flashback. I had to run down and check the LP. It has been so long since I played that album that I had totally forgotten it had the little 7" with it.

There's a nice drum break on the track "All Day Sucker". The track is actually great too.

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from thewolks:

That stack is duplicates and replacements, I do not believe that one did?

Derelicts of Dialect has some really nice production work by Prince Paul.

Plus it's got the line "I got stacks of LP wax".

#761 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

The only other album I have with a bonus 7" is Elvis Costello - Armed Forces.
Were there others you can remember?

Hmm, not any older records I can think of but Beck's "Mutations" came with a bonus 7" when it first came out, and the Beastie Boy's last album "Hot Sauce Committee Pt. II" came with a bonus 7" (a good one too).

#762 7 years ago

I've always been partial to Stevie Wonder's "Secret Life of Plants" which came with a scented LP cover!

#773 7 years ago
Quoted from Jtm3:

My mostly Pioneer system. Marantz tuner and Denon table.

As my English friends say "bloody hell!"

#783 7 years ago
Quoted from Jtm3:

Had to "modify" the wife's bedroom furniture a bit to fit the Marantz receivers (2330b, 2285b, 2238b & 2218) I wired a 4-way speaker selector switch in reverse to the HD880's so I can switch between receivers.

Oh my god that's sick!

#816 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hah, cool.
I wonder what other unique or 'different' vinyls ya'll have.

Kind sir, you get a pass this time but if one more person calls records "vinyls" I'm releasing the hounds!

1 week later
#842 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

My current record room. I'm going to run out of space soon.

You have me beat! Not only in size of collection but also in tidiness. I've got 2 4x4 Expedits and a 5x5, plus a bunch on the floor. I'll have to post some pics when I get a chance.

#851 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Impressive.
I am thinking of getting a set of these to store my LPs. Always liked the shelf look. Thoughts?
https://www.lpbin.com/lpbinmodernblack?gclid=CLqMh-yh1NMCFQKOaQodxa8HFg
Also would like something similar for my 45s, but haven't found anything yet.

That's sweet! It doesn't give you the volume that the Expedit (or whatever they are calling them now) does, but for heavy rotation something like that is way more convenient than the square shelves. I wouldn't mind getting one of those for my heavy rotation and new arrivals.

#861 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't like the bookshelf look. Record stores have them in front facing, that's the way I like them as well.

I don't particularly like them that way either, but like MXV, there's no practical way to store the amount of vinyl I have in the front-facing shelves. I DJ so I keep a crate near my turntables that I use to access things I'm currently working with. The front-facing shelf would be perfect for that. I also like to keep new records in a separate spot until I familiarize myself with them and the front-facing shelf would be good for that too.

1 month later
#1009 6 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

One band I never really explored.
I do have this album, though.

They have a ton of good stuff. Check out Gentle Giant too.

1 month later
#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

OP mentioned early on about cleaning options and I was curious if anyone had heard of or tried the elmers glue technique. Been meaning to try it with a few of my dirtier records, but haven't dove in.

I've done some of this. I'm a scratch DJ so I'll often buy really poor condition records so I don't have to devalue nice copies. You can significantly clean up a really dirty record but, in my experience, it's unlikely you'll ever get it back to VG condition.

I've always used wood glue. Make sure you:

(a) don't get any on the label
(b) don't let it dry for too long (otherwise it will get brittle). You want it to be dry, but still flexible.
(c) don't go too thin, otherwise it's harder to get off.

I'm not sure I would go there with anything really valuable but if the record is really dirty then the chances of it being all that valuable are not very good anyway. It's always improved the playback quality when I've done it. For example, I had Wu Tang's first 12" (Protect Ya Neck/Tearz) (maybe a $75 record in nice shape) that was super gritty/basically unlistenable. Using the glue method actually cleaned it up so that it was listenable. There were still some pops in clicks (especially one one side where the vinyl got some damage) but the other side turned out really well.

Where it's most useful to me as a scratch DJ is cleaning up heavily used scratch records. All sorts of dirt, sweat, etc gets in the groves from having your hand on the record (we call it "handruff") and the glue will get all that out and really clean up the sound. 50-year-old worn in dirt can be more stubborn and larger debris will physically mar the grooves so those dusty old records that have been lying on the floor don't fare as well. Anything with mold or mildew is really bad too. Good luck getting that stuff out.

#1195 6 years ago

Copped this at Disney World at the Haunted Mansion gift shop. It's got the actual audio track from the ride and the music on the flip.

RIP the Virgin Records store that they used to have at Downtown Disney. I scored some gems there in the thick of the downturn in the vinyl industry.

IMG_20170717_190455 (resized).jpgIMG_20170717_190455 (resized).jpg

#1196 6 years ago

My mess at the moment.

IMG_20170717_200529 (resized).jpgIMG_20170717_200529 (resized).jpg

#1197 6 years ago

And some of overlooked Co-Flow ... "Krazy Kings Too" for the eve.

IMG_20170717_200903 (resized).jpgIMG_20170717_200903 (resized).jpg

#1199 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I loved that ride! Now that my daughter is grown, I doubt I'll ever see it again. ):
I picked this similar one up a long time ago...can't remember where. It was great music for scaring the kids on halloween!

That one is good because, if I remember right, it has sound effects. I have a version with an orange cover but I like your's better.

#1204 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That is awesome! What is all on it?

Quoted from Methos:

That is awesome! What is all on it?

Side A is the direct audio feed from the ride. So, if you've ever been on the ride before, this is a record of what's being pumped through the speakers in the seats you ride in.

Side B has the instrumental audio tracks used in the ride. Ghostly Music Box; Otherworldly Concerto; A Swinging Wake; The Graveyard Band.

I did some searching and Disney seems to have released this on CD starting around 1999 or so in various limited forms. This may the first time it's been on vinyl. I couldn't find out much about the picture disc on the internet (one picture and that's it). Apparently they do a lot of these limited, park exclusive releases.

There is also as storybook promo LP Disney put out in the 60s and re-released over the years but that's a different thing.

#1206 6 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

I want to start playing my vinyl collection again after years of collecting dust. Are there any decent turntables that can be paired to a speaker by bluetooth? I'm trying to save on space by going this route.

I bought a new Denon receiver recently and it came with a "Heos" speaker that you can link up by bluetooth. I run my upstairs "listening" table into the receiver in the living room and then I can put the Heos speaker in the kitchen, outside, etc.

Quoted from Methos:

I have to get back to Disneyworld, one of my favorite places on earth. Yes it's manufactured fantasy, but after seeing the world for 46 years, I'll take some good ol' fashioned made up fantasy. It works.
I am going to pick up one of these. I see there is a Pirates one too...do you have that one?
BTW - Is that a Tech SL1200 that you have? Sorry to sterotype.

I saw the Pirates one too but didn't buy it. I probably would have if I'd had known they had the ride audio.

Yep, that is a trusty Technics SL1200 M3D that I brought up to my living room to use for listening. I've got another downstairs in storage. I also have two Technics SL1200 M5Gs (they have +/- 16% pitch sliders) and a Vestax Controller One in the basement that I use for DJing.

#1216 6 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I've had this jukebox for nearly 30 years (half of its life) - it's a 1956 Wurlitzer 1900. Plays 104 tunes. The way this mechanism works, one can place two "A Sides" facing out in each slot. So, there are no blah B-Sides. Here are some snaps pacmanretro .

Don't sleep on the B sides!

#1221 6 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

So do any of you collect mint records with all the original inserts? What's the rarest, unique or most valuable record in your collection....share with us as inquiring minds want to know.....and valuable can mean money or your favorite as that holds value as well.

I have a show vinyl that the DJ used on the Beastie Boy's Licensed to Ill tour. It has instrumentals for the album that were not ever released and it's this really hot/loud pressing. Very few of these exist because they were only used by the band during the tour. That's probably my most prized record.

2 weeks later
#1263 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

A little lighter than most but great music tonight. The great Donny.

Hell yeah, you've got great range in your selections.

1 week later
#1313 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Saturday startup.
Quincy accompanied by the Brothers Johnson, Stanley Clarke, Billy Cobham, Bill Withers, Billy Preston and even a little Stevie Wonder.

Heck yeah, the version of "Summer In the City" on that album is my favorite. I actually had no idea all of those heavy hitters were on that album. I was listening to Billy Cobham "Life and Times" and the Stevie Wonder anthology earlier today.

1 week later
#1325 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I just saw a you tube video that was Star Wars the force awakens with tie fighter and MF halogram embedded in the vinyl. Pretty cool.
» YouTube video

Yeah, I picked that up. It's pretty damn cool.

2 weeks later
#1375 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

It's late Sunday and time for Mr. Magic.
Vitas needs to play Harlem first before he can stand...

» YouTube video
Ramsey is next !

Love that record. It got me to dig out Jazzy Jeff's record where he samples that.

IMG_20170913_201606 (resized).jpgIMG_20170913_201606 (resized).jpg

#1376 6 years ago

Here's a few of my recent scoops.

IMG_20170913_201349 (resized).jpgIMG_20170913_201349 (resized).jpg

#1379 6 years ago

Another great record! I really like that track "Love Song" on there.

#1403 6 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Saw them in Salt Lake City years ago with a symphony orchestra.They were fantastic. I saw they are playing again in Vegas next year at the Wynn.

They play out a lot apparently. My mother-in-law is a big fan and she goes to see them multiple times a year.

#1409 6 years ago

Got this in the mail today

IMG_20170922_181233 (resized).jpgIMG_20170922_181233 (resized).jpg

#1412 6 years ago

My latest music project is Twin Peaks Break Beats. I'm taking parts of the score and vocal samples and making "remixes".

#1419 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Cool track, but the highhat is WAY too hot!

Thanks. That's a drum loop so I didn't set the high-hat level. You might be referring to the occasional "pop" in the right channel, but that's actually not clipping. That's from a big old scratch through the record l sampled from and I left it in because I liked it sounding gritty.

#1422 6 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

Twin Peaks kicks ass I've got 3 episodes left to watch from the latest season. I've got the sound tracks for the first two seasons, looks like I need to find the latest.
Nice work on that track Jam I sent the link to my buddy who is a huge TP fan.

I picked up the score for season 3 (it's a separate release from the one above) and it's really good too. Some solid Badalamenti on there.

I have some more Twin Peaks remix tracks in the works too.

#1433 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Agreed. I was worried about the Miles Davis mono release but it seems good.

I put this album on this morning, checked Pinside, and saw your post.

#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I can't be the only guy listening to the Knack, LCD Soundsystem, and the Pixies tonight can I?

I was listening to "Silver" off Doolittle yesterday. Popped into my head and I couldn't shake it ... "in this world of strangers there are dangers ..."

#1435 6 years ago

My other breakfast record this morning

IMG_20170924_085756 (resized).jpgIMG_20170924_085756 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1462 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

It was sex on vinyl.
(Another sneak in by Duane Allman)

I have a couple copies of this and on one of them the image on the inside of the gatefold is felt.

1 month later
#1539 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Need advise. I have all my dads records and some of them are stuck together from moisture. Any good ideas on how to get them apart without ripping them? LOTS of good stuff....

The only thing I can think of is more moisture, separate, then let dry. The covers are going to be damaged any way you look at it but you might end up with wavy water-damaged art vs. the art being ripped off and stuck to the adjacent record.

Get the records OUT of the sleeves first if you try this. Water in records is BAD. They get really crackly and cleaning them is pretty much impossible (at least I've never had good success). Even using the wood glue trick doesn't help much with mildew in the grooves.

#1541 6 years ago

My little haul for the day. "Get On the Bus" has a Tribe Called Quest rarity on it called "The Remedy" featuring Common.

Oh, and I believe J Dilla, Q-Tip and Ali did the production on the track.

IMG_20171114_145148 (resized).jpgIMG_20171114_145148 (resized).jpg

#1542 6 years ago

Here's why I bought the Barry White record

#1553 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Another pickup. Showing my age maybe..

Check out this picture I posted many moons ago on Pinside. You may see something familiar.

e348a1b3edf1ebc5b126049a8dab3757de8d830e (resized).jpge348a1b3edf1ebc5b126049a8dab3757de8d830e (resized).jpg

#1555 6 years ago

I've been looking for this one for quite a while and finally bit the bullet and ordered it from discogs.

IMG_20171117_134432 (resized).jpgIMG_20171117_134432 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1570 6 years ago

Found this in my Soundtrack section. I forgot I had it. I don't think it's very good but I had to buy it for obvious reasons.

IMG_20171128_202924 (resized).jpgIMG_20171128_202924 (resized).jpg

#1571 6 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Shopping during the lunch break. Looking forward to this evening.

Bastards and their stickers. Sometimes they come off, sometimes they tear the hell out of your cover.

#1576 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This arrived today from Mondo, killer box set Totally forgot I preordered 6 months ago. Wish someone could get Tyler Stout into pinball artwork design!

Nice, especially the original Alien soundtrack which is fantastic.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Lol, I have a sealed copy (same obvious reason)...never opened it to see if it was any good as I was betting it was more fun looking at the sealed LP than playing it. Lol, could be wrong

Haha, I bought mine sealed too.

#1578 6 years ago

Those first 4 Bob James records are so damn good. I pretty much buy everything I see on CTI and I can't say I've ever gone wrong with that. The quality of the sounds on them are just magical. I also look for the first presses with the shiny covers. So nice.

#1583 6 years ago

Love this album.

IMG_20171202_084952 (resized).jpgIMG_20171202_084952 (resized).jpg

#1589 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you feel the need to let your inner pedophile out, Michael Jackson "Off The Wall" is on sale today for $10.75

amazon.com link »
http://www.celebuzz.com/2013-07-02/michael-jackson-allegedly-paid-35-million-to-silence-boys-he-sexually-abused/

I played at least 2 tracks off that album last time I DJed out.

I also have an MJ sleeper favorite that he did with Jermaine called "Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin'"

1 week later
#1628 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I had all these albums in my vinyl collection when i was a kid and that's just the first ones I thought of.

Nice, I have a pretty hefty Jane's Addition record collection too. You've got some good stuff there (Shocking EP, Been Caught Steeling 12", Stop ", Nothings Shocking with the weird vinyl sleeve ....) I regret never buying that Porno for Pyros on Wax. I think I bought that on tape. Great album. Their second one maybe even better.

Beck has another fairly deep section in my collection (mostly early stuff). So, I've been DJing forever and I recently pulled out my copy of Odelay (the one with the poster) only to remember that I used doubles of that and scratched with it (the marking stickers were still on it). Doh! It's like a $75 record now!

#1630 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I just pulled the pic from google. We had a flood basement 2 houses back and I lost my vinyl and concert ticket stub collection, amongst other things. Hard not to think what some of the values would be. Had some live bootleg albums and I saw one in the record store for $200 recently.
I miss album covers the most I think. When I saw jane addiction's Ritual album I knew I had to find out what these guys were all about. Nothing shocking was even better. Maybe I just like boobies?
Beck's Odelay was very influential to me. A white guy with lots of funk and soul. I started to learn how to freestyle over 2 turntables and a microphone. Speaking of white guys with lots of rhythm, another classic 90s album.

Beastie Boys? That's another group where my collection runs deep (probably not in a healthy way):

(You can also see my Beck "Golden Feelings" cassette in the box at the beginning)

#1637 6 years ago

Picked up a portable table for scratching 7" records. It's been modified with a custom crossfader, carbon fiber tonearm, and extended pitch range. I can hook my phone up to play beats and scratch wherever I want (church, funerals, barmitzvas, etc.)

IMG_20171218_091806 (resized).jpgIMG_20171218_091806 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1733 6 years ago

The thing is, there are only so many records you can listen to. I've got more records than time at this point. Buying in bulk just leaves you with extra junk to deal with so you might want to think about being patient and selective.

I think the best time for vinyl was the mid to late 90s. I found so many good records for reasonable prices, or free, back then. Almost nobody wanted records. Now it's like people think they're a gold mine. I've been buying dirt cheap CDs lately.

#1737 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I have to agree with that.

Kinda' like pins.
I bet I've bought less than 2 dozen records in the past 15 years and most of that has been since joining this damn group! Seems like plenty of stuff I haven't listened to in years sounds good again when I play it.

Wish I had that record!

My problem is that I like digging almost as much as listening. I'm constantly on the lookout and it's crazy where you can find records sometimes. Luckily Mrs. JB is very patient about this. We can't go anywhere without me finding a few spots.

#1759 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Let's rumba mama.
Zawinul, Shorter and Pastorius. Wow.

Yeah! So much talent.

1 week later
#1849 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

It’s rare but I love when I discover something new that I totally obsess over and listen to a million times in a row.
This is Cut Chemist “Metalstorm”. I preordered the LP titled Die Cut.
» YouTube video

Mr. Lif and Edan together works really nice!

#1873 6 years ago
Quoted from Skrippy:

What's everyone's take on picture discs or colored vinyl over all? Just curious I've heard anything but black has overall worse quality. (Sorry if this has already been discussed!)

I've got a unique take on this because I do a lot of scratch DJing and I'm many times harder on the records than somebody who's just playing them. Generally, I've found is that black vinyl holds up better, but that's not always the case. I think it really comes down to "it depends on the pressing." I can definitely say that I have a lot of colored vinyl has picked up pops and clicks faster, and burns out considerably faster. In some cases I've got the same record in both black and colored vinyl and the colored vinyl just wears out way faster. With some records though, the colored vinyl seems to hold up just as well as the black vinyl. Go figure.

Picture discs, on the other hand, clearly don't fare as well as normal records (black or color).

#1880 6 years ago

Found a record signed by the man himself today.

IMG_20180127_124210 (resized).jpgIMG_20180127_124210 (resized).jpg

#1910 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Damn I've played this album! Vinyl remains tight.

Good timing. I just scooped this on Saturday with the Les McCann record.

1 week later
#1993 6 years ago

Yep. I bought one of those line phono stands a while back and easy access to the Turntable is key. I never thought it would make such a big difference but it does.

3 weeks later
#2165 6 years ago

Can't beat this for a Sunday morning.

IMG_20180304_093254 (resized).jpgIMG_20180304_093254 (resized).jpg

#2170 6 years ago
Quoted from lasermel:

Landed on the doorstep today! The Art of Noise - Awesome sounding cool blue vinyl!

This is the one on that album. So good.

2 weeks later
#2232 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Monday, Monday. Needed to hear a favorite band but how do you decide which album?
A&M records made some sweet sounding vinyl.

I would just go for all of em. I bought the Police Box Set back in the mid 90s. Probably one of the best music purchases I ever made. They've got some great B-sides. I've since gone back and picked up most of their stuff on LP, 7" and 12" single. They're brilliant. I also still listen to Sting's "Dream of Blue Turtles" LP quite a bit.

#2254 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Raise your hand if you remember Mathew Southern Comfort.
It was a “cut out” at the time. I think they used floppy disc punches. (:

I would buy that in a heartbeat based on the cover and the label.

2 weeks later
#2301 6 years ago

Had to cop it

IMG_20180411_132853 (resized).jpgIMG_20180411_132853 (resized).jpg

#2303 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Now that is EXCELLENT!
Is that an original soundtrack?

It's a repress of the soundtrack, which originally came out in the late 80s. Mondo did the repress with new art, colored vinyl, etc. etc. The original soundtrack has the same art as the movie cover.

#2309 6 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Nice! Did you score that locally, or was it shipped from Mondo?
I ordered directly from Mondo, but mine’s not scheduled for delivery until Monday. Sucks, too, because I’m going to Monsterpalooza this weekend, and Alex Winter is going to be there. It would have been cool to get it signed.

I ordered direct from Mondo. Check your tracking number because mine showed up earlier than they projected.

#2316 6 years ago

Dude, that's so sweet! Love how he signed it "Bill S. Preston, Esq."

#2321 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

So still ‘What is Hip’? Jam Burglar knows..

Got to love the James Brown influence. That drum and horn combo!

#2329 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Playing this: overlooked in my humble opinion...

This record and their first one, "The Hurting", are always in rotation in my house. They're just really really good records. I actually think The Hurting is the one that's shamefully overlooked.

#2330 6 years ago

Also, it would derelict of me not to share this in relation to Songs from the Big Chair
Cash Money & Marvelous "Ugly People Be Quiet"

#2352 5 years ago

I have roughly 3, 5x5 Expedit shelves worth of records and I oganize a lot like a record store, by genre, then alphabetically. I have a few cubes for new arrivals and a few more for heavy rotation. I try not to be too specific with the genres either.

#2362 5 years ago

Yeah, selling

#2389 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Picked up these today from a good friend. They were his from when he was younger....most are late 60s , 70s and some early 80s. Seem to be in good shape overall. There are around 275 albums...can't wait to see whats in there but at a quick glance i saw some great albums. Also gave me a nice eq and a type of recorder that uses l movie like tape reels? Got it all for 250 ? He Figured around a buck a album was,fair? I have no clue bc ive never had any lol....

That's a really good era for records.

4 weeks later
#2460 5 years ago

I’ve always loved this soundtrack:

I was at Disney World shortly after that film dropped and saw this at the record spot in downtown Disney. Bizzar right? It was $30 something so I passed. One of the biggest regrets in my digging history! It was finally repressed years ago. Anyway great record, and great flick. Mr Eddie's theme is the shit.

1 month later
#2537 5 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Mellow sounds tonight.

Oh Snap! I picked up some of their records while I was in Hawaii.

2 weeks later
1 week later
#2689 5 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I’ve owned about five of these over the years. Great bang for the buck.

Get em while you can. Shure announced its stopping needle production a few months back. DJs went nuts and bought up all the M447s.

#2690 5 years ago

Scooped a Barry White record and this

IMG_20180721_115807 (resized).jpgIMG_20180721_115807 (resized).jpg
#2695 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Makes sense...the M97xE was $50 cheaper a few months ago. Do you think I should buy a spare now while I can? I really don't need a spare cartridge, but styli perhaps in the future. Surely I will be able to buy replacement stylus in the future, right?

I don't know how fast this particular styli will be gone but I know the n447s we're bought up almost immediately. The 447 series are really popular with DJs and have no real alternative so maybe yours will stay around longer.

#2705 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Yes.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

A lot of people sleep on the 12" singles. Usually they have much better sound quality than the album version and sometimes extended intros/outros/bridges/etc. Sometimes you get a nice non-album b-side too. I go to the record stores and lots of times they're like "oh yeah, I have some in a bin in the back, nobody wants them". That's where I swoop in.

#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Yall got any NEW music or just a bunch of oldies? LOL.

I buy new stuff too.

IMG_20180729_195501 (resized).jpgIMG_20180729_195501 (resized).jpg
#2724 5 years ago

This came in the mail today:
[quoted image]

I picked up the first one when that came out a few years back. So good.

1 week later
#2762 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

When I started at this job in '09, there were three vinyl stores in my city. One, on the other side of the city, closed a couple years after I started.
The two that remained were within a half-block from my office. I went to both regularly. The larger of the two was kicked out of their location, and moved to the other side of downtown, about 3/4 mile away. This one was more of a rocker scene, and had great employees.
That left only one close to my office. It was smaller, and run by two old gentlemen that were probably around when Jazz was new. They were great, friendly, and knew their crap. I hadn't been over there in a month, dur to work issues. But decided to brave the rain for the 300ft walk to stop in.
Get over there... They're gone. No trace.
That leaves only one near me now.

I found a spot in Sheppardstown that has some gems if you know what to look for. Amazing some of the stuff I've found in strange places.

#2763 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

The new HighOnFire isn't released yet so I came home with these two!. Breaking down a PartyZone to start shopping it out and whooping tunes! Going to see Earthless in October! Stoked fo sho
[quoted image]

Don't know what this is but it looks intriguing.

1 week later
#2800 5 years ago

Saturday morning Space/Surf Rock

IMG_20180818_085708 (resized).jpgIMG_20180818_085708 (resized).jpg
#2813 5 years ago

Yeah, Grover is great. Basically, anything you see on Kudu Records, buy it.

#2824 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I have a question. I have a Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver that has a phono input. My speakers are the Klipsch reference premier line that include the RP-280F so needless to say power isn't an issue. I got a crosley C100 turn table and it sounds nice, BUT when I play CDs or Bluerays it is very crisp and loud, on phono the sound is still good but I have to turn it up twice as loud to get the same volume (so -40 CD takes -10 for phono). Do I need a preamp? Better cables? Better turntable???

You should expect some difference in gain between different sources but what you're describing sounds pretty extreme. It could be any number of things. Assuming you've got everything connected correctly, it could be that your receiver's phono amp is not matching the relative loudness of the line-in amps. Modern receivers sometimes have phono-ins as an afterthought and it could be that Yamaha just didn't pay good attention to the phono-in. If that's the case you can buy a phono pre-amp with a gain adjustment and run your pre-amp out into the receiver's line-level input, then adjust the gain on your pre-amp so that it better matches the line-level inputs.

It could also be your turntable, or your needle. Different needles have different outputs, and the loudness of the output is not really a predictor of the quality of the stylus. Those Crosley tables aren't that great and frankly, before dumping money into a pre-amp, I'd probably spend my money on a better turntable and stylus and not worry about the volume difference. If you have a good table and good stylus and need more volume, just turn it up. Its very common for different records to have different loudness so you're always tweaking the volume to some degree anyway.

I highly doubt its the cables unless they are flat out defective.

#2833 5 years ago

Classic

IMG_20180826_083058 (resized).jpgIMG_20180826_083058 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2924 5 years ago

Check this one out

IMG_20180813_161514_026 (resized).jpgIMG_20180813_161514_026 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#3173 5 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

Now that the weather is keeping me from working on outdoor projects, I'm able to set up to get some records clean.
[quoted image]
Eventually I'll even get the room with turntable organized enough that I won't be ashamed of posting a picture.

Dude, you've got the "Thunder Road" board game! My brother and I got that back in the 80s and loved it. Basically Mad Max the board game.

1 week later
#3225 5 years ago
IMG_20180930_190334 (resized).jpgIMG_20180930_190334 (resized).jpg
#3243 5 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

ok, i need to ask and it's a stupid question. does vinyl really sound better than a cd or high res download? i had a vinyl player as a kid, but i didn't use it for music. more for children read along books. i've gotten mixed answers from some folks if it does sound better i'm interested in getting a player, but sort of wonder it is will sound better or would it be for more enthusiasts?

It depends on the release, your set up, etc. There's no real universal truth to it. The pre-CD era is where I really tend to notice the difference, where the reissues don't live up to the vinyl. Also, when you get into promo vinyl and 12"s and stuff you can tell a difference in quality between different vinyl releases.

1 week later
#3288 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Friday night Rockit.
Jam_Burglar style!
[quoted image]

Yes! (although I'd be likely put the 12" single on the felt, or maybe even the Grandmixer DST Megamix.)

#3289 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Shame on me for getting away from Les Claypool all these years. God I love this album.
[quoted image]

I played the heck out of this EP in the 90s. It's actually one of the records that got me into the Meters.

#3292 5 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

$150 in the house. Love the original head phone plug. Hoping to hook it up tomorrow.[quoted image]

Sexy, very sexy.

#3298 5 years ago

This one has some heat on it

IMG_20181208_085346 (resized).jpgIMG_20181208_085346 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3415 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

A bunch of my record album covers got water damage a few years back. Is there any good sites that sell replacement white record album covers? I'm not looking for the plastic sleeves, more something to replace the original covers to keep the records in. Thanks for your help.

turntablelab.com has a lot of supplies and just interesting stuff in general. Historically it was a site for DJs but they've kind of branched out into a lot of other areas relating to vinyl and music now.

#3416 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Played that and now playing this:[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice on both counts! Looks like an original Liquid Swords too. I believe mine has a cut corner just like that. Of course I had to buy the record store day chess set version with the instrumentals too but I still play my original. My favorite Wu album.

#3427 5 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

“Oh my god, they’re Gorgeous.”
Great adds ya’ll. Gza, Teenage Fanclub, Zappa, Posies.
[quoted image]

I just had my first taste of the filthy side of this business!

#3448 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

[quoted image]

Can't front on Bill Conti. I try to get his stuff when I see it.

#3456 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I know the thread is typically LPs but I recently found some decent 45s and played them last night.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

45s are great. Oddly enough, I was going to shlap some 45s into this thread but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

3 weeks later
#3543 5 years ago

Nice little set of posts there guys!

1 month later
#3744 5 years ago
IMG_20190329_125419 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_125419 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_125448 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_125448 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_125532 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_125532 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_125608 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_125608 (resized).jpg
#3745 5 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

There's some good stuff on this soundtrack.
[quoted image]

Yeah, the Melle Mel joint on there is prime.

#3746 5 years ago

Double post

#3775 5 years ago

Whoah, what's that? Looks like some Sound of Sunforest type shit.

#3776 5 years ago

Speaking of

#3778 5 years ago

Cool. Never seen that version before.

#3783 5 years ago

Those Duran Duran singles are cool because they usually have alternate versions. Those early Isaac Hayes are also super good of course. I met a guy who wrote songs at Stax and he was telling me how they created the "Enterprise" label specifically for Isaac because he was such a big deal.

1 week later
#3802 5 years ago

This seemed appropriate for the times

IMG_20190414_081144 (resized).jpgIMG_20190414_081144 (resized).jpg
#3805 5 years ago
Quoted from EdisonArcade:

Nice! I like that cover art more than what was used on the game.

One of the few albums I still have from my childhood!

2 weeks later
#3847 4 years ago

That 3-channel Vestax mixer is something you don't see every day.

1 week later
#3881 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

I have avoided this thread since I joined Pinside as I have been waiting for my Garrard 301 to be restored. Bought a beater 301 on Ebay that came from a smoking home, took it to Deja Vu Audio in Vienna, VA. They tore it down, cleaned everything (and this was quite a task as it had 50 years of tar covering everything), installed an Audiosilente idler wheel, sourced the new plinth, installed the Ortofon TA-110 arm, and installed the Ortofon Quintet Bronze cartridge. It is pure bliss. First pics are of the table being played through their custom-built $30k speakers, the rest are my home system.
Integrated Amp: Synthesis Shine (35wpc push-pull tube amp)
Phono Stage: Synthesis ROMA 79DC
Speakers: Audio Note AN-K
Cabling: Audio Note Silver for both interconnects and speaker wire
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good God man!

1 week later
#3924 4 years ago

Before they signed

IMG_20190519_084817 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_084817 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_084838 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_084838 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3961 4 years ago

Breaking into the 45s this morning

IMG_20190601_084131 (resized).jpgIMG_20190601_084131 (resized).jpg
#3962 4 years ago
IMG_20190601_084858 (resized).jpgIMG_20190601_084858 (resized).jpg
#3970 4 years ago

I haven’t posted in this thread in months, but I’ve been picking up more horror stuff.
This came in the mail today:
[quoted image]

Great soundtrack. I picked it up some years back. Can't remember if I ordered it or found it in the wild.

2 weeks later
#4024 4 years ago

I love this We Stay True label and their throwback record designs. Instrumental boom nap beats

IMG_20190618_132859 (resized).jpgIMG_20190618_132859 (resized).jpg
#4025 4 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

[quoted image]

Oh, I got something to post in response to this if I can remember when I get home!

4 weeks later
#4146 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

It’s 11:11 .. time for some Hot Buttered Soul..
[quoted image]

Fook yeah.

1 month later
#4273 4 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

How did I miss this thread? Anyways, add me to the mix. Technics SL-1310 + JBL 4410 monitors or JBL 120ti + Yamaha AS-801 or Sansui AU-7700 or Marantz 1060. As you can see, I like integrated amps, vintage in general (with an exception for the modern Yamaha), and I like to switch up the equipment from time to time. Most of my records have been with me since the 70s and early 80s, but I've added several more in the past few years. Half of my relatively humble LP collection is pictured below.[quoted image][quoted image]

Great breakbeat on that ZZ Top record.

#4274 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I’m about to buy another one of these as mine’s about maxed out at 500 lps. Very sturdy and easy flipping through them, just like at a record store. They also sell dividers that I’m going to get and label as my. albums are arranged alphabetically.
https://www.lpbin.com/[quoted image]

I need to get one of these. I have too much to keep everything like that but it would be great for heavy rotation and dj records. I tend to have piles of records pulled from the shelves for stuff I'm working on and this would contain it.

1 week later
#4319 4 years ago

Here's what I was on today

IMG_20190902_091148 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_091148 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#4413 4 years ago

The Ghostbusters SCORE (not the soundtrack, the score) is being done by Mondo and went on sale today for pre-order. Limited run, and they say they're only doing it once.
https://mondotees.com/products/ghostbusters-original-motion-picture-score-2xlp

#4421 4 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

When I’m not busy working on or playing some pinball, just a few favorites. Only 25 more versions of Synchronicity to go...... ;p[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now we're talking!

2 weeks later
#4493 4 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Multiple days at the Chicago pinball expo happy to be home flying a blue dream before I crash and get much needed sleep.[quoted image]

Very dope. I'm a "Not of this Earth" man myself but this one is great too.

1 week later
#4541 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Found a very nice copy the other day, takes me way back.[quoted image]

Now you're talking.

#4554 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Me every time I play the Police: “Why the funk don’t I put the Police on more often?” They wrote amazing songs but Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland just made their songs so unique.[quoted image]

They have to be one of the best bands, evar. The B-Sides to their singles are definitely something to check for as well.

3 weeks later
#4614 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Oh Herbie!
Right next to Marilyn Manson in the album stack.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Yes! With the felt art!

#4615 4 years ago

Been awhile. This AM's listening

IMG_20191130_092823 (resized).jpgIMG_20191130_092823 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4727 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

That was my thought, as well.
Give me Midnite Vultures.

I'm still a Melo Gold man myself although I love all his crazy early stuff too, Western Harvest Field by Moonlight, Golden Feelings, etc.

... Like this stuff ...

'

1 week later
#4739 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Sometime you are able to pickup that one album. $3. Damn right.[quoted image]

Yep

#4744 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderpants:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Meet John Ozila, a prized 7"
Freddie Hubbard was very good. this double album is nice!
Can't go wrong with Dizzy, Red vinyl too.

Freddie Hubbard is great. I always grab his records when I see em.

#4755 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

This left right combo is more lethal than Conor McGregor’s shoulder![quoted image]

Awww shit.

#4761 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I’m tempted to buy all the Prince reissues being released with all the extras, if anyone has bought any of them please chime in.
Here’s a criminally underrated band from the the 90s and 00s. Supergrass! I’m not normally a “best of” fan but so little of their catalog was on vinyl I have little choice. Plus their singles are friggin great.[quoted image]

Remember these dudes. I think I got a promo from the College Radio station I DJed at.

#4779 4 years ago

Wowsers! That's a speaker.

3 weeks later
#4852 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

That would be great. I was wrong, the extra album is Memphis Underground.[quoted image]

Herbie Mann. I don't know how I got into his stuff but I own a LOT of his records and it's hard to go wrong. I'm a sucker for flute. Him and Bobbie Humphrey. I don't question, I just buy.

#4860 4 years ago

Copped this today

IMG_20200222_173842 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_173842 (resized).jpg
#4893 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

chisox, you gotta’ turn this up on these.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have the opening break from "Love Song" chopped and looped up and have used that for quite a bit of scratch practice.

#4894 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

This really tests the bass response..
like no other I have.[quoted image]

A lot of people use his records for "reference" when mixing and mastering hip hop and pop. He's got the bass down. Another good one is Beastie Boys "Hold it Now, Hit It". I'm sure Dre learned a LOT from Rick Reuben's mixing work.

#4922 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Was excited to find this sealed copy at my local record store.
[quoted image]

Boom

#4950 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

[quoted image]

Awe yeah! I've got that one.

#4965 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Sunday afternoon spins.[quoted image]

Wow, this is the joint! I have to pick this up.

#4966 4 years ago

Was digging through the stacks

IMG_20200309_203358 (resized).jpgIMG_20200309_203358 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#5083 4 years ago

I listen to a lot of records, but I also use them to sample, scratch, mix, and make beats and whatnot.

Here's my latest project, a 30-minute mix a made for my 6-year-old son using (mostly) 90s hip-hop beats and classic cartoon samples (Scooby Doo, Transformers, Superman, Batman, etc.)

You can check out the mix here: (**If you're going to stream it then click on track 13, which is the entire mix playing continuously**)

https://jamburglar.bandcamp.com/releases

And here's a little promo video I did if you want to see what its about before downloading.

1 week later
#5105 4 years ago

3 new additions, all great album re issues. I'm especially fond of Marcos Valle. That one has been out of reach for years.
The Spin Clean also came the other day. I'm impressed with the quality and awesome results on old records from 50s and 60s. some play like new!
[quoted image]

So weird seeing those records in new condition!

3 weeks later
#5218 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

TONS of space for the Mastering Engineer and the Cutting Engineer, too. That's one of the reasons that they sound so damn good. They didn't have to compromise dynamics for space on the record.

Totally. I'm a big fan of the 12" singles and I have tons. I even like to get the ones issued to radio stations for the nice, extra-loud compression. None of the hipster vinyl newbs are onto them either, which is great for me. I made a whole 80's mix where I use 12" single cuts as a base layer and starting mixing, blending and layering other 80s vinyl on top.

#5219 3 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

I haven’t thrown mine out! There was that period between 1982-1985 when cassettes were my format of choice
I hooked up a tape deck to my sound system last year, but that proved to be a waste of time. I mean, why?

I recently got a really nice walkman (Sony DDIII) for playing tapes in my car and damned if certain tapes don't sound really really good if you have nice equipment. Especially stuff that I taped from records back in the day. Not that I'm seeking out that medium but I still play tapes for convenience. There's some stuff I have that I only have on tape, or was only ever issued on tape, and I have way too much of this type of stuff convert it. I remember when all my DJ friends were converting their entire record collections to "high quality" MP3 and getting rid of the wax. Only to find out later that the quality wasn't nearly as good as the wax. What a waste of time.

#5234 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

It has been a while. So, why not ?
[quoted image]

Sick!!!!!

1 week later
#5261 3 years ago

3 great reissues in today.
Lonnie Liston Smith is a beast.
[quoted image]

Yeah, I have a bunch of his records. Good stuff.

#5262 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Did it have a general release in the US ?
It is a double album with gatefold sleeve and a book with artwork, lyrics, info and the storyline of the book. It cost me $1.50 from a record fair.

Not sure, I would pick that up in a heartbeat if I saw it though based on the cover art alone.

1 week later
#5328 3 years ago
IMG_20200530_154737_388 (resized).jpgIMG_20200530_154737_388 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#5439 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

It’s the vinyl and what you find inside that really sets it apart. [quoted image][quoted image]

I have a handful of these masterdiscs but damn I wish I would have picked up more back when they were more reasonably priced!

#5456 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

My only other Master Record. But it’s a sweet one. [quoted image]

Yes! Love that record.

1 week later
#5509 3 years ago

Picked this often overlooked gem up recently. Great cut from the 80s.

IMG_20200704_184145 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_184145 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200704_184149 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_184149 (resized).jpg

Bonus points to anybody who can name the movie that broke this song (without looking it up)!

1 month later
#5583 3 years ago

Scored this today

IMG_20200812_125053 (resized).jpgIMG_20200812_125053 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#6151 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

Getting out some soundtracks/scores for the big day.
[quoted image]

Dood, there are some pricey records in there! Maniac and Night of the Living Dead are a good hundo a piece.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl?tu=jam_burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.