20240416_132702 (resized).jpg
IMG_4604 (resized).JPG
2024-04-15 19.35.53 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240416_153616 (resized).jpg
20240416_153439 (resized).jpg
20240416_153546 (resized).jpg
20240416_132545 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#802 6 years ago

Not sure if I can join or not. Will let ya'll decide.

I have very few albums - most of them from my short stint at a radio station. Most of the 12"ers I have are singles or remixes.

Then I have about 400 45's, of various ages. Mostly purchased to put in here:

iKJ77jz (resized).jpgiKJ77jz (resized).jpg

#805 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You're in. 45s are special and have not retained the peak of vinyl as albums because they don't make any changes any more.
Jukes are great, I have one myself. I'm guessing you'rs is a mid 80's version as you have the same backwards ton arm as my 1978 does.

I have odd musical tastes - there are *very* few artists that I like *all* their songs. Which is why I rarely got LPs - there may be two or three songs I like, and the rest, 'eh'. So in the rare cases where I liked most/all of the songs, I got the LPs. (Several Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac Rumors, Deep Forest (new age), to name a few.)

The juke is a '72 Rowe-AMI MM-6. As far as I know, Rowe/AMI's are the only ones that had the 'backwards' tonearm like that. I love my juke.. I can take it apart and reassemble it blindfolded now.

#813 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Let's go way back to the record of the month from The Columbia Record Club.

Hah, cool.

I wonder what other unique or 'different' vinyls ya'll have. I don't have pictures handy, but some of my different or unusual ones include -
- A handful of 7" of 'clips' - dated from the 50's or 60's, each record has 'popular' quotes and artists to be used in radio shows. The interesting thing is that each clip is completely separate from the other - so that the radio engineer doesn't have to worry about accidently playing the next 'clip'.
- Several one-sided 7"ers. Until recently I didn't realize these even existed. One side has the song - the other has a blank label "DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE", and the vinyl has a rough pattern in it.
- A copy of Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" with a skip in it - somehow pressed in from the master that way.
- A 'Scholastic' 7" of the entire 1969 Moon Landing radio communications.

#820 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I was going to guess a rowe TI-1...I wasnt too far off.
Rowe mostly always seemed to be the Cadillac on the sound quality end.
I always thought it was funny that I have a mid 60s seeburg that was supposed to be so great since it had new solid state amp! But really, 5 or 6 years later...rowe AMI still using tube amps was SOOOO much better (to me).

Yeah. I had my amp rebuilt, but I still have something amiss in it. It sounds great - don't get me wrong - but there's.. I can't put my finger on it. Something amiss with it. When I was 10, my dad bought two MM6's, just like mine there. One didn't work and he told me to go to town on it. I took it apart and reassembled it, and got it back up and working. However, I was a dumbarse at the time, and cut out the tube amp, tossed it, and put in a solid-state amp. The juke was eventually tossed in the dump. Thirty years later, I get this one for $50. Stripped it and cleaned it up, and now I use it to keep music going while in the gameroom. Eventually, I want to find a working stepper and get a wallbox to put in living room upstairs.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

I still think one of the most "different" albums I have is the Jeff Bridges "Sleeping Tapes". The only album I have never opened. I think they are actually quite good in a strange sort of way...

Wow - that's a really funky cover, I like it!

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Kind sir, you get a pass this time but if one more person calls records "vinyls" I'm releasing the hounds!

Sorry, sorry! Long long time habit from when I was a kid and had the juke mentioned above. I'll do better!

1 week later
#838 6 years ago

.. Wow.

#847 6 years ago

My latest addition came today. Import..Also got the 7" for the juke.

1493765643609 (resized).jpg1493765643609 (resized).jpg

#862 6 years ago

While I'm calling it a night really soon, I was wondering if someone knowledgeable about carts can send me a PM. I have some (mostly off-topic?) questions about quality and tone-arm weight and such..

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#919 6 years ago

Heading over to Independent Records in Co Springs tomorrow. Maybe I'll pick something up..

#922 6 years ago

Don't have any Greg Allman LPs, but DO have several Allman Bros 45's in my juke...

Switching gears, was wondering if ya'll have heard/seen this before.
I have a 45 of the Rolling Stones, Satisfaction (I think, may be another single..).
It has a 'skip' in it. But it's not in the record - it appears to be in the original pressing/master, as it'll 'skip' once, and on the next revolution, there's nothing. Not even a 'pop' - the song continues normally.

Wondering if anyone had seen this before.

1 month later
#1170 6 years ago

*sigh*

I just tossed 75 45's.

#1172 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Yikes! To save on the down votes, please tell us it was a sad reason, like worn or warped or something!?

Toasted an old jukebox. I saved what I could, but most of them were either dud songs (Milli Vanilli, anyone?) or were so worn that they'd cause damage to a good needle. :/

Hated doing it, but.. not much else you can do.

#1192 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

$80 for a table and speakers...I'd stay away. I'd guess that thing is like a bluetooth version of a Crosley and tracks at 7 grams.

Agreed. Won't get ANY good sound out of it, and really wear your vinyl down. And lord knows the motor/vibration induced in that thing from the motor..

2 months later
#1444 6 years ago

Depending on the radio station -
At my station, 'hot' meant that it was too far outside the genre for often play, but sparingly, it was okay.

1 month later
#1498 6 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Where is a good place online to purchase 45 records, just got my 1st jukebox.
Also 45 remakes are you able to select the song you want, assume this is extremely expensive.
Do remakes put current music on 45's
New to hobby any help is appreciated.

I would check local stores first for older 45's. For a few reasons: (1) You get to know the local owners, and if you're nice and build a rapport with them, then when they get new (dropoffs) in, they'll contact you first for picking rights. (2) Cheaper, overall - unless you find an ebay seller that has a handful of records you want, shipping will double (or more) the cost of a 45's. On top of that, 45's on ebay are generally higher than you can get at local stores.

Quoted from Pickle:

Lots of places to buy 45’s. Prices will vary. There are also places that for a price can make custom 45’s. I think the price is like $25 a record for custom 45’s but if there is a song never put on a 45 that’s an option. Just google and ask around and I am sure you will find plenty out there.

This is a great option for newer songs. However - if you remember where you saw that price, please let us know. The last time I checked, the places I found ran upwards of $60-$80 for one.

2 months later
#1692 6 years ago
Quoted from MrDucks:

Does anyone buy new records from current bands that were released in the current decade?
Since it's a new year, I went through stuff I got that was released in 2017, here's my top 10 list

Just got one this past year - Rag'n Bone Man. I'm always happy to get new stuff, but my taste in music limits what I usually pick up.

2 weeks later
#1842 6 years ago

Honestly, I can not even look at that album without thinking of one of the *best*..

Evenworse (resized).jpgEvenworse (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1946 6 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I would like a jukebox someday.
Do you ever get tired of it? Does the novelty wear off?
This is a serious decision for me, as my space is limited.
E

For me, no. I love it, and would not have a gameroom or house without it. For me, there IS a little bit of nostalgia - which is why I got the model I did.

Sometimes I will switch out 45's, usually a few a month, to keep choices 'fresh', so to speak.

#1949 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Pick up one of the last phono models, the 92 or 93 conversion. The amps are robust as hell and when you hook up external speakers, the quality is a hell of a lot better than you would expect.

Funny you say that - I'm not 100% sure on that.
My MM6 has a tube amp. And with a little adjustment on my phone's equalizer (turn down volume, low-end pushed up some), I can blast any song through the tube amp. And holy cow, even in this ultilitarian appliance cabinet and speakers (all original, from 1972)... it sounds *amazing*. The first time I played a newer alternative rock album, I was blown away. Those tubes her humming!

1 month later
#2256 6 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I bought several Albums that were "cut outs" Kraftwerk's Autobahn was one of them.
I was told they were returns to the distributor.

Local record-store owner (she's in her 80's now..) explained it to me -
Albums with the cut or slit are items unsold, returned to the distributor. They would get credit for returned albums that they could put towards OTHER albums (not a 1, of course! The original 'restocking fee'!) and these returned ones were marked, and then sold to discount stores.

#2258 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

More to the point, royalties were not paid to the artists on unsold (AKA cutouts) records. So when the mafia guys got control of MCA, they would make sure their jukeboxes were stocked up with cutouts to keep the cash flowing in the right direction. They already had complete control of the coin-op business as it was the perfect money laundering setup.

OOh, good to know!

4 months later
#2739 5 years ago

When I started at this job in '09, there were three vinyl stores in my city. One, on the other side of the city, closed a couple years after I started.

The two that remained were within a half-block from my office. I went to both regularly. The larger of the two was kicked out of their location, and moved to the other side of downtown, about 3/4 mile away. This one was more of a rocker scene, and had great employees.

That left only one close to my office. It was smaller, and run by two old gentlemen that were probably around when Jazz was new. They were great, friendly, and knew their crap. I hadn't been over there in a month, dur to work issues. But decided to brave the rain for the 300ft walk to stop in.

Get over there... They're gone. No trace.

That leaves only one near me now.

#2743 5 years ago

A new (for me) album finally arrived today!

IMG_20180804_170657 (resized).jpgIMG_20180804_170657 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2996 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

MOST of the boxes of 45s I got this weekend....and we will call it "most of the beers"
Got a LOT to go thru still....
[quoted image]

Rrrrf.. I envy you.

#3004 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Any idea on rough cost range within U.S.?
Or where to find info?

USPS.COM.
Enter in the weight and size of the box they'll be in. You will be given a chance to select 'Media Mail' and will give you a good price to guesstimate.

#3008 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I, obviously, am lookin for my kind of music first...then want to sell off duplicates etc...
Does anybody have specifc genre/era of music the are interested in on 45?
Just asking so I have an idea if there is any interest...
Looking at you...
fulltilt
methos
coyote

Heh!
I have a handful of specific songs from the 70's, 80's that I've been looking for, and unable to find (without paying a little for a single record and HELL shipping, I mean). I'd be interested in some earlier, 60's and early 90's pop, since those two genres are lacking in my joke at the moment.

#3010 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

That's cool.
90s stuff is rare for me to come across (as it seems to always be for us all) unfortunately for sure
If you have a short list for a few 70s/80s specifics, PM me a few. I can at least keep an eye out as I flip through stuff.
Looks like many of these are a little on the lighter side of pop. But it's a mix.
I'm definitely not going to find any super rare expensive stuff mixed in I don't think :/
I don't want to sell a stack of albums and have anybody disappointed if it's not what they want....but I don't want to spend hours and hours to put together a short stack of hot titles for low cost and have a pile remaining of lesser titles either...makes it a little tricky for me. That's why I figured I would ask a little bit about interest of people.

PM will come soon.

3 months later
#3491 5 years ago

Ooh.. Vintage equipment just looks sooo sexy. Love it.

6 months later
#4280 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m really enjoying the new Black Keys album[quoted image][quoted image]

This one is on my to-get list.

1 month later
#4387 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Here’s a poll question.. vinyl independent..
Speaker grills on or off?
(The rug makes the room...)
[quoted image]

IMHO, Off.
I've always preferred the 'naked' look to speakers.

1 month later
#4601 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Oh, see I didn't realize that. Yeah, if you see that pick it up, like I say I doubt my local joint will have it.

At least try'n support them, please.

Five years ago? I had THREE local stores around my office, and one near my home.
Now? I have none. I'm.. saddened.

1 month later
#4694 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Discwasher for the past 45 years.
Discwasher fluid is near gone so I have various refills.
[quoted image]

+1 for Discwasher. Still have mine after 25 years.

1 month later
3 weeks later
#4924 4 years ago
Quoted from guard:

Little bit of sorting to do...
9 copies of "Shaddup you Face"....just in case one needs backups of backups[quoted image][quoted image]

Y'know, it was often for operators to have more than one jukebox.

2 weeks later
#5001 4 years ago

I don't have a pic, but due to Kenny passing away, I have the Gambler LP - with the bestest artwork on the sleeve - playing.

3 weeks later
#5117 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I'm real happy with my Spin Clean.[quoted image]

Does that handle 45's? (I mean, in the US, with the larger spindle holes.)

2 weeks later
#5203 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Nice.
The 12" Maxi Singles are often incredibly well mastered and pressed.

Quoted from drfrightner:

I have about 3000 12 Inch singles, Albums, 45's and Remix Sets. I used to be a Billboard music dance reporter because I did live mix shows on the radio. I still have my two technique 1200 and a new mixer. Oh yeah I still make mixtapes... errr digital mixes! LOL [quoted image]

Nice! I always went for the 12" singles back when I was buying - having different versions/mixes of the songs was a nice departure from listening to the album,

3 months later
#5587 3 years ago

Went to a store while I was out in Colorado to pick up some new 45's for my Juke. Was going through them when I got home, and - wait.
HOW long is this song?

photo_2020-08-14_09-59-28 (resized).jpgphoto_2020-08-14_09-59-28 (resized).jpg
#5592 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Did it come with a pink tank top?

Sadly(?!) no.

1 month later
#5674 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

The eagle has landed!
Just got back my Kenwood Model nine G. Bought it partly working relatively cheap, took a chance, my stereo guy fixed and serviced it.
Sounds great with my 1978 Sanyo turntable.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is LOVELY. I had one back in the early 90's, and have been feeling the pinch and need to get my current unit replaced with that model again..

3 months later
#6079 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Rondino Nero, by JR Transrotor, made in Germany

Only $13k! I's a steal!

2 months later
#6376 3 years ago

Came across these at my local store. They look interesting, even if I have no way of *playing* them. 16 inchers!

FHBSuz8 (resized).jpgFHBSuz8 (resized).jpgM8zv4Py (resized).jpgM8zv4Py (resized).jpg
#6378 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

What do you need to play those? A transcription turntable?

A 16" turntable. Heh. Tried on my own turntable and the ones at the local store.. well, the disc won't fit on the platter because of the tonearm's mount point. (Or, on my specific turntable, that AND the little stylus light.)

3 months later
#6766 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I tried tuning it while playing the same track on my phone and got it pretty close.

Does the strobe light there (the clear pyramid-lookin' thing on the left) not work? Those 'dots' along the outside of the turntable - assuming your running on 60Hz - should tell you how the table's speed is.

#6781 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'll call that a win for $150.

Hell yeah. Kinda envois you got it for that all in all. Good luck and enjoy it.

2 months later
#6961 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Move over God of Thunder
I am the God of Hell Fire![quoted image]

Have this in my juke, and love it. Have always liked this song.

#6965 2 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I am 67. I saw him live,then. Still got the lp. He would come out on stage on fire, in a special suit. Hard rocking show in 68.

No shit, seriously? Damn.

I first heard this song when I was around 11 years old, back in the mid-80's My dad had picked up a Juke and when he filled it with 45's, he put this one in. I remember playing it. The opening shoting I did NOT like at that age, but when when the song started, I loved it. I didn't really get the lyrics at the time, and was even more confused when my mom got angry at my dad for having that in there. I figured it was because of the 'bad word'.

Of course, THEN my mom found out that my dad ALSO put Clarance Carter's "Strokin'" in the juke. Yeah, I remember that didn't go over well either. Heh.

Both are in my juke now.

#6968 2 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I gotta say, your Dad had good taste in music. Clarence Carter was really good. He did a song called Patches, around 1970, classic, poor son story.

It's where I got my odd tastes from, definitely.

#6972 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

On another note….what’s the weirdest thing you have found in a record? This was taped to a Kenny Roger’s record I picked up. Can’t believe someone actually taped it to a record to play this LOL!!!
[quoted image]

I've come across some odd ones in my searches for 45's for my jukes...

One I can't find at the moment, but it contains 4 Coca-Cola radio commercials. Each side has two, and the spots are seperated - can't put it in my jukebox because one spot's runout does not lead into the other spot.

This one is similar, but contains short "breaks", meant to be played by a radio station between songs, breaks, and commercials (spots). They still do this today, by the way. Like the aforementioned Coke advertisement, these breaks are completely isolated, so one will not play into the other. I have a few vinyls of these:
cYFsAdc (resized).jpgcYFsAdc (resized).jpg

This one I saw and had to take home with me. For the price, I woulda gotten it ANYWAYS, but I thought this was neat to have.
seejQYO (resized).jpgseejQYO (resized).jpg

This one is interesting - I've never seen a one-sided 45. Yes, I tried playing it in my juke, but sadly, the uncut pattern isn't enough to cause the juke's needle to reject the record.
NTO4jBD (resized).jpgNTO4jBD (resized).jpg

This one has a little bit of a story. This is one of a set of records released by Rowe/AMI. These were available from the manufacturer, and to be used if you installed an accessory called the "Play-Me" in your Juke. This accessory essentially turned your juke into an adverstiment. When installed, if no selections are made within a set (configurable) time, the juke would automatically play a record. You could have it play a full song if you wanted - or get one of these, which were popular artists (at the time) that promoted "Play a song in the bar!" type messages. Yes, they were all made out of red vinyl, even back then.
UOYCo6J (resized).jpgUOYCo6J (resized).jpg

I have some other strange ones, including a complete NASA recording of the first lunar landing.

Aah, things you find in the cheap bins at vinyl stores.

#6977 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

That’s some neat stuff Coyote.
That test pressing of Peter Frampton is a rare find.

I later found the commercial, final pressing that came from this, too.

2 weeks later
#6991 2 years ago

Any old-school Country/Folk guys here? I have another 45 test pressing record. Completely unlabeled. One side is Gary Stewart's 'Cactus and a Rose'. However, the other side is unrecognizable by any song-search I've been able to find and send it through. Would like some help trying to identify it.

3 weeks later
#7063 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Forget the album, that Technics turntable is gorgeous .

I had that model way back when. Gave it to a friend, and never saw it again. I am kicking myself for doing that now.

1 year later
#10041 1 year ago

Hey guys, can I have an opinion on this player? Is it a keeper, or should I look for something better? It's in better shape than the picture makes it out to be, for the record.

photo_2023-02-05_13-12-38 (resized).jpgphoto_2023-02-05_13-12-38 (resized).jpg
#10043 1 year ago
Quoted from beergut666:

It's an older, budget DJ deck. If someone is giving it away it would be ok. I wouldn't pay money for it, especially without a headshell and cartridge.

Ah, okay. I forgot to mention it has a cart and head. Tucked away. I was wondering if I should dump it, or box it up for the move. Sounds like I'll trash it. Space for moving more important at the moment.

#10046 1 year ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Don't trash it, donate it to someone or a youth center or something. Someone can get use out of it.

Oh true, would probably run it over to local shelter or goodwill. Good idea.

Quoted from Jason43:

It'll play records. It's certainly not a high end piece, but it'll get the job done if that's what you got.

True. I was tempted to just get better equipment when I got to my new place, so I was hesitant on bothering to pack this up, admittedly.

Thanks guys!

2 months later
#10875 12 months ago

It's Record Store Day today! Whoohoo!

.. I was looking at the special releases (https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases) and was kinda surprised.
A few CDs, some cassettes, and then... 3" and 10" vinyls? Really?

Sadly, I am contagious with Covid on a work trip, so I can't head out to my store to check them out. But, thought ya'll should know that there seems to be some good pressings in that list!

2 weeks later
#11005 11 months ago

After the move, I finally landed myself another turntable.
An 'MCS' (Modular Component System) 6700. (A JCPenny rebranded Technics 1950! Hah!)
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Sadly, as far as I can tell, the cart and needle have been replaced - anyone have some good recommendations on what to get for it?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
I've got to give it a good cleaning, but it seems to do well as far as speed goes. The automatic part works as well - though I have yet to try multiple albums or repeat mode yet.

#11009 11 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

You can greatly improve a turntable with a decent cartridge.
I think the Goldring E3 is a good choice and budget minded.
amazon.com link »

Appreciated, thanks!

#11013 11 months ago

Appreciated! I won't get a replacement until next week or so (on work trip this weekend), so I'll waste some work hours looking at both that've been recommended.

2 weeks later
#11082 10 months ago

Put this on my platter today.. Always a 5FDP fan..
photo_2023-05-26_09-45-06 (resized).jpgphoto_2023-05-26_09-45-06 (resized).jpg

#11091 10 months ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I had this exact turntable when I was a kid. Awesome to see it!

Needs a little bit of work, but it plays great. Have a new cart/needle on order.

2 months later
#11375 8 months ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Rockin some Taxi
[quoted image][quoted image]

I forgot I had these until you posted, so I went ahead and pulled them out and listened.
Not bad - but I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that they didn't name the tracks. Like "Jackpot Theme", or "Main Theme", etc.
I am pleased that they included the chorus voices with BK2K, though. Unless you know the trick to do getting into the Test Menu, when you go into the Music test mode, it's JUST the music, no CVSD voices.

5 months later
#12179 3 months ago

AFAIK, most (not all) entries on Discogs will have runout stamping/markings listed, so you can take that 'FV 4145..' number and look at the different entries on Discogs for Rebel yell to find your matching release.

2 months later
#12986 10 days ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I also have this oddity…
IMG_5523 (resized).jpeg

Maybe I'm an idiot, but... how the hell does this play? Or sound?

#12988 10 days ago
Quoted from Clytor:

All of the songs are probably on side A since it's a single and this is side B. I have a few 2 LP albums that only use three sides and they have something crafty etched or pressed into the unused side.

.. okay, yup, I'm an idiot. Didn't even occur to me that the album would be one-sided. Hah. Thanks for that.

#12992 10 days ago
Quoted from Dragon:

your not an idiot, idiots don't ask questions , Idiots drop the needle on the decorative side of the vinyl first and ask questions later

... Dammit. Now I wanna try that. What exactly does art sound like?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.