2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,585 posts
  • 215 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by manitouguy
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DE3CB035-5980-4E5E-9F88-6F0F0E1416DB.jpeg
image (resized).jpg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg
15503806372551355485836536301610 (resized).jpg
1550377104077477536174128419730 (resized).jpg
1550375192199-955614162 (resized).jpg
15503722726262314989798023470770 (resized).jpg
B0F99534-572C-413C-8AA8-28FAB37BFB8C (resized).jpeg
15503677386292105242435 (resized).jpg
DF555ACD-A7A2-4380-8BC5-379136042C11 (resized).jpeg
C2D775FD-1D19-4980-9EF5-5F245B0879FA (resized).jpeg
Husker-Du-Warehouse-Songs-And-Stories-1987-2 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
1550284252224-1472510065 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
UFO_-_FORCE_IT_(COLOURED_vinyl_2LP)_1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chisox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 2 years ago

My other hobby is hi-fi and vinyl is my drug of choice. I only have a couple hundred LPs but the ones I have I play a lot. If you have nice equipment, you just melt into your chair when a nicely recorded album is played.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

What's the best method for cleaning? My setup sounds great but lots of snap crackle pop.

I use a vacuum style record cleaner and a zerostat gun. If it's a good pressing, I have zero suface noise.

these things seriously work

image (resized).jpg

#29 2 years ago

Nice gear^^^

#32 2 years ago

I'm a Marantz/McIntosh/Dali guy.

image (resized).jpg

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

BTW what deck/arm/cart you running there. Looks sweet

It's a Marantz tt-15 which is just a rebranded Clearaudio table. it has a Clearaudio Satisfy arm and came with a Clearaudio Virtuoso wood cartridge but the suspension blew out so I just replaced it with my go to bang for the buck Shure M97xE for the time being. So sorry to hear about your hearing issues. That has to be really tough with your obvious love for music.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Playmatic:

Huge vinyl fan here too, been collecting for over 20 years. Nice avatar BTW, be sure to catch Ween on their reunion tour! I just saw them recently and oh man what good memories!

I'm seeing them tomorrow night!! So stoked.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have 3 units...a Marantz 2230, 2235, and the big bad boy known as the Pioneer 1250.
I was thinking of dipping my toe into McIntosh land, question is is there really a noticeable difference? Have you ever tried their vintage tube units?

I've heard them but haven't owned them. I have a newer tube pre-amp and solid state amplifier alnong with a vintage tuner and they're incredible. It's tough to say whether or not there will be a huge difference for you because it's all about taste. I've heard systems with old McIntosh tube amps that were wonderful, but I like the laid back warm sound of McIntosh.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I remember people who trashed or gave away their albums when CDs 1st came out. Idiots........

Idiot here. Ended up buying most of them back.

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I bought Weird Al's latest album on vinyl after seeing his show live but the record is warped.
Any easy tricks to fix a warped record?

If it's only slightly warped you can stack a bunch of books (like encyclopedias) on it for a few days. If it's bad I've heard you can put it in the oven for a couple minutes (need to Google the right temp) then do the books stacked on top.

#137 2 years ago

I like that cabinet holding the receiver. ^^

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from dookski:

Closing the night with Oh! Sweet Nothin'

That gets a lot of rotation here too

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

That's funny, I was thinking of playing Loaded today, but got side tracked.

Nice avatar. Have you listened to the new Nick Cave /Bad Seeds? It's on my list to buy.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Yes, bought the lp & have had a few listens, great album, actually, a really great album that's getting better with more listens, however the vinyl pressing itself sounds terrible! mine was dirty out of the sleeve from new, marks, distortion, skipping a bit & sounded flat. very disappointing, returned it for another, the same (a bit worse actually) basically unplayable. It looks like the majority are like that when you look at what other people are saying at Discogs. I'm listening to the digital download that it came with instead. So, the lp is for looks only for me! Another strange thing is the jacket is way bigger than the insert but is very difficult to slide the sleeve back in, very tight fit.
Here are the comments on Discogs
https://www.discogs.com/Nick-Cave-The-Bad-Seeds-Skeleton-Tree/release/8989572

That sucks. I have heard the album and agree it's great. I might wait to get it until they do another pressing. The one downside to the resurgence of vinyl is that there are a lot of bad pressings out there. I have copies that I've returned twice only to have the third one be garbage too. frustrating.

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Picked up some stuff on my lunch break!

I have five of those as well, we obviously both have great taste. Some Enchanted Evening is killer.

1 week later
#216 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Do you guys use anything fancy to clean the stylus?
I just discovered the magic eraser method tonight and it seemed to work pretty good.

I also use the Magic Eraser and a small stylus brush.

3 months later
#285 2 years ago

I have a protractor for my deck but that thing is clearly in another stratosphere.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

How about the thrill of searching the "cut corners" sale bin and finding those great deals.

» YouTube video

Bonus points for the Booker's.

#312 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

Count me in! Started collecting about two years ago! My friend got me into vinyl I got him into pinball! Pretty funny. I collect mostly early 90s to early 2000s hip hop but I have a bit of everything. Blues, funk, jazz, rock. Some of my favorite stuff. Biggie, tupac, rocky erikson, r.l. Burnside, sublime, fleetwood Mac, and Johnny cash. Hip hop is more rare to come by where I'm from send me a pm if you buy a collection that has some in it you want to part with.

That's a pretty great eclectic list, reminds me of my own tastes. Good luck finding old hip hop records on vinyl. I almost never come across them.

1 week later
#338 2 years ago

I have a nice Oppo Blue Ray/DVD/CD/SACD player hooked up to my rig. Not a big fan of 5.1 or 7.1 surround. I'm just a 2 channel guy I guess. Concert DVDs (like The Last Waltz) get lots of play over here. I love putting a good concert DVD on, pouring some bourbon, and CRANKING it.

#340 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Don't you love the Oppo!? I use the BDP-103. Great player.

Yes! It's fantastic. I prefer vinyl obviously, but I still have 2000 CDs.

#343 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Just for fun, one of my first memories is listening to vinyl in my life.
It was about 1972. My uncle Joey had a vinil player and a 45 and we would sneak upstairs in his old room and listen to satisfaction by the stones.
I can still smell the upstairs like it was yesterday. My cousin had already moved out, this was what he left behind.
I think strangely enough satisfaction may well be one of my favorite songs.

There's definitely a lot of nostalgia involved in my renewed interest in buying records. My Dad passed the year before I got back in (2005) and when I re-bought a lot of those albums my Dad owned and I used to play (Rumours, Stan Getz, Dire Straits etc) it was flashback city for me. It's amazing how music can transport you back to a certain time and place.

#360 2 years ago
Quoted from AudioHaven:

Another vinyl addict here! Here's me enjoying spinning some at my old place...

I got the pinball bug a few years ago, but have never had the space for one - we moved a couple years ago and I'm finally finishing the basement so I have space for both vinyl and pinball. I haven't bought my first pin yet, but I'm hoping to someday run into someone interested in trading audio gear for pinball machines

Always nice seeing another McIntosh in the thread. Nice gear!

#361 2 years ago

My cartridge is dying, so I bought one of these on Amazon. Anybody have any experience with this cart?

image (resized).jpg

#365 2 years ago

Nice rack. Might I suggest getting those blue meters out of the corner and into the center of attention. They're divas and want to be noticed.

#366 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have one. It's ok, but for the $ I would go with the 2M Blue Ortofon, or the M44-7 Shure. I also picked up a AT140ML and it sounds fabulous, much better than the Nagaoka.

I swear I've had that Shure in my basket at least three times but ended up with something else, usually the m97xe. I like the Ortofon red and blue but wanted to try something different. We'll see.

#376 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

My stylus is missing from my late 70's era SL-xxxx Technics turntable. Should I just replace the Cart+Stylus all at once? I've never had to shop for one before and have no idea what I'm doing.
It's my backup at the moment but I would like for it to be my primary turntable.

I would just replace the whole cartridge. Lots of nice plug and play carts out there.

#381 2 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

No way.
That one gets regular play in our house.
A good assortment of eighties pop !

I agree, nothing wrong witha little cheese in the diet. Plus the title track is great.

#387 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I need an escape from the Jpop thread. I think Zappa is just the one to take me away to that happy place.

I'm in.

image (resized).jpg

#403 1 year ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Anyone like the Beastie Boys?
Here are some excerpts from my collection:
» YouTube video

Whoa, that's a lot of rare stuff. Very nice!

#416 1 year ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Roxy & Elsewhere is a great one. I have the CD too and found that "Cheepnis" was ruined by a remix, not nearly as good as the vinyl.

Check out the Roxy and Elsewhere DVD if you haven't already. Outstanding footage of what I consider his best band.

#443 1 year ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Hello everyone. I was hoping I could ask for some help/advice? Quick story...our neighbor's husband passed away and she is moving to a smaller place. He had a vinyl collection dating back to the 60's with everything very well cared for (very nice condition). She has no need for this collection any longer. I offered to help her find a good home for these LPs but I honestly don't know anything about them or their potential value.
Would it be OK if I posted a few pics of what she has or would that be frowned upon here? I'm just looking to help her with these albums and potentially get her a little bit of money to help with expenses. Most of these seem to be symphony based albums and out of Germany. Some box style sets as well. If this isn't the place for this kind of thing would anyone be willing to PM me with a place that I could go to get some information for her? I thought of this club when she asked me about these things as I've grown to trust many of you within this community on pinball and other matters! In addition, I know that if someone here had interest they would be going to a good home and I would make certain that the purchase price would be advantageous on your end.

PM sent

#462 1 year ago

Here's some new stuff I picked up this week

All Them Witches
Anderson. Paak
Beck
Beck

IMG_1634 (resized).JPG

#464 1 year ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Awesome! Did that odelay originally come out in vinyl at all? I'm guessing thats new repressing?

It was pressed back in the day but in very low numbers and last one I saw was like $250 used. So yes this is the repressing.

#474 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

It makes me feel old when I look at bands and realize I've never heard the names before..... (Ok, well maybe Beck..)

I'm kinda old (47), there's still lots of good music being made.

#478 1 year ago

Couple more new ones came today.

IMG_1638 (resized).JPG

#482 1 year ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Quick interest check....I have a collection larger than I'll admit. Lol...
Anyway, I have my premo albums, my decent stuff, my crap, etc...
I have a pretty significant amount of duplicates over the years of classic rock etc. Some are trashed, some are minty (mostly ones im keeping)... I have a lot of duplicates that are awesome albums, but not VG+ collector albums.
Anyway, is there an interest to people worth me starting to sort thru stuff in my "players" quality stuff? Lol. I use term as a funny....like classic 70d rock that isnt perfect, with wear, but certainly playable for a few bucks?
Or are people on here really high collectors only looking for high end and minty stuff?

Well I think it all depends on what it is and like you mention, condition. I've bought a bunch of albums over the years that were real dogs that were described as VG/Mint. It seems like it was always from individuals too and not dealers/stores. If you're honest about the condition I'm sure they would sell. I personally might be interested in some 70's rock. Also, there's a guy who posts in this thread from Rockford who owns a record store, he would probably be your best bet.

#500 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Seems with album collecting was collecting the concert posters. I have a few boxes of them and some nice original classics framed. I'm sure there are other concert poster collectors in the group.

Oh yeah, I've got a bunch. Here are some of the framed ones:

IMG_1641 (resized).JPG
IMG_1642 (resized).JPG
IMG_1643 (resized).JPG

#521 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Maybe followed by some Pretenders.

What a great album! James Honeyman Scott is a criminally under-rated guitar player, and he kills on this. Good choice.

#530 1 year ago
Quoted from barkerlake:

Yeah, I figured as much. Oh well, I'll still hold onto it because:
a) I love Ween
b) I'm from MPLS. I love those Twin/Tone labels (Replacements)
I would like to own an original "The Pod" someday..

I would love to own those old Twin Tone Replacements pressings (only have Tim). Good luck finding a copy of The Pod.

EDIT: I just remembered Tim was their first for Sire, so I have zero Twin/Tones

#534 1 year ago

New cartridge day!! The suspension was giving on my old one and I didn't realize this one was coming all the way from Japan, so it's been a long wait. I like it.

IMG_1646 (resized).JPG

#537 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Is that a TT15S1 turntable?

Yes it is.

#539 1 year ago
Quoted from MrDucks:

I used to have most of the Ween stuff, The Live Brain Wedgie, GWS, The Pod on vinyl that I got when it came out because I grew up in southeastern PA where they're from. Let someone borrow one, some got stolen, lost some of the demo tapes, now I think I just have one or two of the represses. I'm kinda the opposite of most Ween fans though, I like them recorded better than live, these days at least. I don't care how much I like a band, if they play for more than 45 minutes I'm done. Ween playing 3 hour jam sets just isn't my thing.

Having been a Ween fan for a long time I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this (the live thing). While they're definitely a different band from 25 yrs ago with the DAT machine, they're still the greatest live band on the planet. They're playing here on St. Paddy's day, and while I hate this phrase...it's gonna be epic.

#549 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have been looking very hard at that model. I have classic TTs now, but would like to get a newer one.
Would you purchase it again?

I would buy another in a heartbeat. I think it's the best bang for the buck turntable out there (although admittedly I haven't been looking for one in a while). I've owned it for about 8 years and haven't had any issues and love the way it tracks and sounds. It comes with a fantastic cartridge as I'm sure you're aware.

#550 1 year ago

Tonight's menu:

image (resized).jpg

#573 1 year ago

This is my go to album when people come over and ask "why do you spend so much money and deal with the hassle of records and stereo equipment when you can just stream off your phone into a bluetooth speaker?". I pour them some borbon, sit them in my chair, and put this on. Then I see the lightbulb go on and they say "ohhh wow, it's like Beck is playing right in front of me and I can reach out and touch him, it's like the music is in 3d". It's not something you can listen to every day because it's the heaviest breakup album ever, but it's an absolute piece of art from the performance to the production (probably the best sounding album I own). Bourbon time!

image (resized).jpg

#577 1 year ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

I might have to pick up some Beck on vinyl, I was pretty into his stuff for awhile but haven't listened to it for a few years now. Funny how that goes for me, since getting back into vinyl this last year I've been mainly seeking out the albums I had on tape but never bought on cd. Unfortunately a lot of my favorite music is from the late 80s early 90s and never released on vinyl.

Same boat here. I can say the following about Beck on vinyl: Sea Change is tremendous on vinyl. Every pressing that I've heard or heard of is fantastic, my only issue with it is whatever you play after it sounds like absolute dogshit lol, unless it's.... Mutations which also sounds outstanding. Odelay is one of my favorite albums ever but the re-issue is just ok. They jammed about 70 mins on a single disc so the sound is going to suffer. Guero is sweet and a little better sound wise. That's all I have, hope it helps.

#580 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't know why they push all of these 7" releases, nobody buys that shit.
This is the only thing that jumps out....
Dennis Wilson – Bambu (The Caribou Sessions) [2LP] (150 Gram Translucent Green with Black Smoke Effect Vinyl, gatefold, limited to 3000, indie-retail exclusive) LP

Yeah I never really got the whole $15 for a 7" thing.

Quoted from Methos:

I am debating between that model and a low end VPI second hand off ebay. About the same cost....

Which model? A used VPI scout was what I originally wanted before I bought the Marantz but even used they were insane. The VPI Classic is also an excellent turntable and if I were to change it up, that's what I would buy.

#591 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yes, I'm going to see if I can wait for a used Scout to come within my reach. That's about as high end as I can possibly get. It's a beautiful machine, but the Marantz with that cart is real tempting as well.

Good luck in your search. If you have the patience (and the $), as much as I love my Marantz, I would take the Scout all day.

#592 1 year ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

While I'm at it, here is what showed up in the mail today:

Whoa didn't realize the new Spoon is out already. Their releases are always so consistently good it's getting to be ridiculous.

#596 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Late night Doors... in Discrete 4 Channel. In the day I thought my Marantz Quadraphonic was the bomb.

I remember hearing about quadraphonic sound as a kid. Is it really a thing, like 4 channel sorround?

#597 1 year ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I see there is a newer pressing of it...did Mellow Gold ever come out on vinyl originally? I don't remember it, but wish I had it.
Dont remember it on vinyl I mean.

Mellow Gold was indeed pressed in 1994 and then re-pressed in 2000. Used copy will set you back $120-$150 though. No recent re-press.

#600 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Yes, it was very cool to play with at the time. With the Marantz, you could plug in different decoders too.
http://classicreceivers.com/marantz-4400

That thing is a beaut. $1250 in 1974 = $6250 today so that must have been top of the line. Although that was back when the stereo was the centerpiece of the family room, not the TV.

#636 1 year ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Playing these tonight.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

Got some Talking Heads tonight. Needed this to wrap up the week.

You guys have great taste. Sad Wings is my second favorite JP after Stained Class and that live Heads is amazing. I love the way it shows them at different times in their career.

3 weeks later
#706 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

One of these days I gotta' get a juke.

No doubt, they're so awesome.

Tonight's menu: The new Ryan Adams has not left the top of the stack for a month, it's that good. Fleetwood Mac has been a favorite since I was spinning my dads back in the 70s.

image (resized).jpg

#710 1 year ago

OK this is currently spinning, unfortunately on my CD player (cue the boos). One of my favorites (Wagner and Hunter are unbelievable on this, as is the whole band). Has anyone bought the re-issue or should I just hit Discogs for an older pressing?

image (resized).jpg

1 week later
#763 1 year ago
Quoted from thewolks:

They just keep accumulating.... between Pin's, Guitar's and Vinyl whose got money?

Nice, I have the same three vices. Although I have been moving some of the guitar money over to the pins and vinyl collumn.

#780 1 year ago
Quoted from Jtm3:

My mostly Pioneer system. Marantz tuner and Denon table.

Feel free to add a money shot of that Les Paul too!

#796 1 year ago

This makes me happier than a pig in shit. I remember the look on my wife's face in 2005 when I told her that I was buying a record player and getting back in vinyl because I'd had it with CDs, they just didn't sound right. While it's made some aspects bad (high prices for records in dog condition, shitty re-issues pulled from digital source), the good totally outweighs the bad. Virtually every album released is out on vinyl! Who the hell ever thought that would happen? Not me.

#800 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

And it's obvious I wore this one out for one of my favorite drummers of the day.
Stratus just kicked ass.

Tommy Bolin plays out of his mind on that album. Oh yeah, Billy's pretty good too.

1 week later
#822 1 year ago

Picked this up this week to honor the one year anniversary of his death, still can't believe it. They did a nice job on this re-pressing, straight from the analog masters, not just a transfer from a CD.

image (resized).jpg

#854 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Impressive.
I am thinking of getting a set of these to store my LPs. Always liked the shelf look. Thoughts?
https://www.lpbin.com/lpbinmodernblack?gclid=CLqMh-yh1NMCFQKOaQodxa8HFg
Also would like something similar for my 45s, but haven't found anything yet.

I have an Lp Bin and love it. My wife bought me one for Christmas about 8 years ago. I don't like browsing my albums by tilting my head and reading the spines, I want to flip them forward like I'm at a record store.

image (resized).jpg

#863 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

That looks like the same one I'm thinking of getting. Little concerned of the lower shelf, but it should be ok. Do you know around how many you have stored in that one right now?

It's the exact one you linked. I have 412 albums according to my Discogs account and I believe capacity is 600(?) or so but I'm not sure if you'd be able to flip through them with that many. I think maybe a hundred more and I'd be maxed out. It's not too bad taking a knee and flipping through the bottom ones (even with a torn meniscus).

#864 1 year ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I don't particularly like them that way either, but like MXV, there's no practical way to store the amount of vinyl I have in the front-facing shelves. I DJ so I keep a crate near my turntables that I use to access things I'm currently working with. The front-facing shelf would be perfect for that. I also like to keep new records in a separate spot until I familiarize myself with them and the front-facing shelf would be good for that too.

Quoted from MXV:

I didn't have a choice because I'd need a much bigger house to hold them all that way. I used to have something like that a really really long time ago when I had only a few hundred records.

Nice problem to have

#875 1 year ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Picked up some Zeppelin today... One question, aren't the windows on Physical Graffiti supposed to spell out P-H-Y-S-I-C-A-L G-R-A-F-F-I-T-I? On this copy, there are only the sleeves for the records.

Mine does but there were pressings that didn't. If I remember correctly there were actual holes for windows and the letters were on the record sleeves. Nice score.

#883 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Really has nothing to do with vinyl... but on Led Zeppelin... I love Youtube. Found footage from the concert I attended in "77!! What a flashback...

» YouTube video

So awesome, if I could upvote this a hundred times I would. Feel free to give us the whole story as I never got to see them and would love to hear about it.

#892 1 year ago

I really need to get some Buddy Holly in my collection.

2 weeks later
#931 1 year ago

One of my top 10 all time albums spinning tonight. Goes well with bourbon.

IMG_1789 (resized).JPG

#937 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You know I'd be curious to know that Chisox Top 10 list, because I always like what you're spinning. Enjoy!

Sure! Right now it's: (all on vinyl of course)

1. The Clash - London Calling
2. The Who - Live at Leeds
3. Bowie - Station to Station
4. War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream
5. Beck - Sea Change
6. Zappa - Roxy And Elsewhere
7. Morphine - Cure For Pain
8. Prince - Purple Rain
9. The Replacements - Tim
10. Ween - Chocolate And Cheese

Not necessarily in that order except probably the first three.

#941 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Great memories. My first copy of Live at Leeds was on 8 track. Still analog.

It's the benchmark for live records for me. They keep releasing deluxe, super deluxe, super duper deluxe versions of it and I keep buying them.

1 week later
#986 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Ry Cooder on the bottleneck slide in Willin' was immortal.

Love me some Little Feat and Ry Cooder too. I'm gonna do the old Sabbath/Cooder tonight. I like mixing it up.

IMG_1793 (resized).JPG

#1014 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent57:

Speaking of insane drumming...spinning this one right now.
» YouTube video

The guitar playing isn't bad either. JB rules.

1 week later
#1059 1 year ago

Happy thirsty Thursday.

image (resized).jpg

#1060 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sit in your listening position.
Put a mirror on the floor between the speakers and your chair.
When you can see the tweeter in the mirror, that's where you need a nice Turkish Wool Rug to absorb the 1st reflection.

Never heard this before but considering the poster, I'm gonna go with it probably works. I was going to say rugs, couches, curtains. Assuming room treatments and egg cartons are out the question.

#1065 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Never listened to any Stergill Simpson.
Cheap Trick is good whiskey music though. (:

Sturgill is trying to bring old school country back. He's a dead ringer for Waylon to my old ears with a killer band and a guitar player from the Balkans who plays like he's the best session player in Nashville. He goes well with whiskey too.

#1066 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent57:

Thirsty Thursday indeed...kicking back with a beverage while cranking this one through headphones. Cheers!

Oh hell yes! Great choice.

image (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1091 1 year ago

Good news but I hope if they start reissuing old stuff they don't just press it off some shitty digital copy like so many other labels do. Sony owns a massive catalog of music and if they do it right from the analog tapes and have decent quality control this could be very good news. I'm very sceptical of all things vinyl these days and assume everything is a cash grab.

#1095 1 year ago

Just two of many albums being spun tonight.

image (resized).jpg

#1097 1 year ago

I'm serious as a heart attack this is the one. Everone needs to check this out once. 60% will walk away but 40 % will have their balls blown off and become believers. Come join us. We meet on wednesdays at Denny's.

image (resized).jpg

#1125 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Treated myself to a new toy. Like Christmas in July!

Beautiful, congrats on a great turntable. What cartridge are you putting on there?

#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Decided to go with a Grado Master 2. Now waiting is the hard part!

Wow nice. I haven't graduated to moving coils carts yet.

#1134 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Oh wow nice! I need me some ok computer

I just got the reissue yesterday as well and it's outstanding. They did a great job with this one.

#1136 1 year ago

I also picked this up yesterday. I kind of burnt out on Dan Auerbach a few years ago so when The Arcs come out I just kind of ignored it. It's actually really good. Lots of good r&b vibe.

image (resized).jpg

#1145 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I feel so old and out of touch...

I'm old too, and sort of out of touch. But you have good taste in music and fantastic taste in gear. Cheers.

#1147 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

That's going to give me nightmares.

One of my least favorite album covers ever.

#1148 1 year ago

As far as nightmares, there's only one for me.

image (resized).jpg

#1159 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

going to see these guys in a week..cant wait!

Nice. I really need to see them again, it's been too long. There's nothing like a good Melvins show.

#1161 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

July 25th, Chicago. 24th in Milwaukee if that's closer?

Thanks man. Fucking Tuesday night concerts! Every show I want to see seems like it falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm too old for that shit.

#1180 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

well had a great nite spinning vinyl& sipping pints, gin&tonics, and scotch! annnd this is what the day after looks like . dammit

Haha. Been there, just replace the scotch with bourbon.

2 weeks later
#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Years since the last A/V upgrade. Replaces my Onkyo.
Oh Baby I think I like this one! (:

Awesome! Once you go Mac you'll never go back. My stuff will be handed down to my kids.

1 week later
#1259 1 year ago
Quoted from emkay:

Spilt Milk is incredible. All the genius of Brian Wilson and Queen rolled up and engineered to perfection by JJP and I don't mean that short guy from New Jersey.
Also, I see that upvote and raise you:

Cool. I love that album but I've never seen that version. Not a big color vinyl guy but I would scoop that up in a second.

2 weeks later
#1328 1 year ago

Got these on Friday but haven't had a chance to spin them until tonight. I love the ritual of taking the plastic off, running it through the vacuum, carbon fiber brush, zapping it with Zerostat gun, cleaning stylus, pour a bourbon, drop the arm and sit back with the cover/lyric sheet/album art and just get lost with the music.

image (resized).jpeg

#1330 1 year ago
Quoted from emkay:

Nice. I can get stuck on Thinking of a Place for days.

Definitely the high point for me on an album full of high points.

#1349 1 year ago

Gaza Strippers is one of my favorite band names. That guy was also lead singer/guitarist in the Didjits who were a mainstay in the late 80's early '90's punk scene in Chicago back in the day. He was nuts. They were nuts.

1 week later
#1381 1 year ago

New school psychedelic magic, Tame Impala's debut record. Good shite.

image (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1427 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

The man-cave tonight. Needed it... Feelin' good...

How are you liking the McIntosh gear?

#1429 1 year ago

I can't be the only guy listening to the Knack, LCD Soundsystem, and the Pixies tonight can I?

image (resized).jpg

#1431 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I like it. Since 1974 I've wanted a McIntosh setup. The "direct" mode in phono is excellent. It took a while to get the setup done. I didn't anticipate everything being so "custom". Now that I have all the input/video in sync, I'm really enjoying it.

I used to go through stereo gear like some guys go through pinball machines on this forum, until I got my McIntosh gear. I haven't even sniffed another component since.

#1440 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Do you guys use the vintage McIntosh gear or the newer stuff?

My amp and pre-amp are 15 years old. My tuner is vintage about 1972 (?).

#1445 1 year ago

Because two Becks are better than one.

image (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1470 1 year ago

Finally arrived, vinyl was backordered for a while.

image (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1507 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Just a curious observation... anyone else see 'new' vinyl holding more static than older records?
I haven't bought new records until the past year or so. I clean them with a Disc Washer which may be a culprit in the issue.

I haven't noticed, but I always zap them with my Zerostat gun.

2 months later
#1696 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I've got an excellent "open box" deal on a pair of black Polk A7s if anyone is close to N.E. TN and is able to pick them up.
Just as new.

I’ll take that turntable. I’ll drive down from Chicago to pick it up.

#1697 1 year ago

Hey guys long time no spin. Tonight’s appetizers are Shuggie Otis and the latest Horrors.

image (resized).jpg

#1700 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Anyone else collect concert posters along with vinyl?

Yes I have quite a few. Love the artwork on a lot of them.

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#1702 1 year ago

Wow! I need to get that book. ^^^

#1703 1 year ago

Main course is Radiohead -Ok Computer (oknotok version), Sonny Rollins- Saxophone Colossus (favorite jazz album), Iggy

image (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#1929 1 year ago

Just a heads up those new Metallica pressings sound like shit. If that sort of thing matters to you. They never sounded great in the first place (the music obviously rules) but I bought this and MOP and they sound like it’s playing on one of those Fisher Price record players.

Edit to add I just realized it’s 9.99. Probably worth it.

#1930 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Very cool turntable.

Yes I’d like to hear the story behind that deck.

#1996 1 year ago

First course: Stiff Little Fingers with a side of Tool
Edit to add: Man, I know this joke is played out but...that’s what she said.

image (resized).jpg

#2047 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Bowie - Aladdin Sane $12

amazon.com link »

Click. Ordered. Thanks for the heads up.

#2063 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

IMO hell yes, get it.

As I’ve mentioned before, any gratuitous shots of that turntable are appreciated . Some day...

#2077 12 months ago

For the most part I’m pretty lukewarm on colored vinyl but this one just came today and it’s pretty badass.

4B480C6A-00C1-470E-88AF-1AB8D8CD12EF (resized).jpeg

#2094 12 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Is that the TT15 with the Virtuoso cart?

It is a TT15 but with a Nagaoka MP110 cart. I had the Virtuoso for years but the suspension blew out.

#2101 12 months ago

This is the album that completely changed my listening habits and unfortunately for my parents my attitude back in 1981 as a snot nosed 12 year old. Still sounds fresh and along with London Calling is the most played of my old catalogue.

image (resized).jpg

#2103 12 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

That's about the time I lost touch with reality and became an arcade rat.

Me too. Gorgar and Centaur stole my soul.

#2109 12 months ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

My buddy's band just released a new album today. Been jamming all morning. The wax should be on my doorstep when I get home. $18, not bad.
amazon.com link »

Nice! They’re a really good band. I really like their “Ugly” album.

#2115 12 months ago
Quoted from MrDucks:

I've seen them a few times out here, that guitar player really rips.

It’s the girl/singer right? I’ve never seen them live but on the album I have she(?) absolutely tears it up.

#2117 12 months ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

Before my time but I can pretty much sing along withe every song.

Holy shit I’ve probably heard this 1500 times in my lifetime. Dude could sing and wrote some classic songs.

#2122 12 months ago

image (resized).jpg

#2132 11 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

QOTSA best album IMO. Didn’t even know you could get that on vinyl. Nice!

I agree. It’s a repressing from a few years ago. They did a nice job.

#2133 11 months ago

Chitownpinball’s post reminded me I haven’t busted this out in a while.

image (resized).jpg

#2135 11 months ago
Quoted from Ak_tilt:

This might be the best thread on Pinside right now! Just listening to a few new acquisitions as I wind down on a Sunday afternoon.

Angel Dust!

1 week later
#2174 11 months ago

After two days of driving and doing the college visit with my senior. I come home to this on my front porch. Baroness - The Red Album. One of the best hard rock records of the last 25 years and a glass of bourbon are just what I need.

image (resized).jpg

#2177 11 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Read about the band members. From Lexington, VA. Home of Frank's Pizza & Subs, my favorite ever cheese steak subs.
Just sayin'....

As a fat guy I can only say that I like the way you think.

#2179 11 months ago

Next up. They’re starting to repress Tom Waits’ catalogue which is great news in my world.

image (resized).jpg

#2182 11 months ago

Another of my HOF selections.

image (resized).jpg

#2183 11 months ago

And finally (bourbon is kicking in) the most underated Bowie album.

image (resized).jpg

#2197 11 months ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Years ago, we saw the Replacements.
After the show, my cousin ran up to the stage to talk to the guys.
She came running back screaming that "Harry" signed her jacket.
I said, "nobody in the band is named Harry".
Looking at her jacket, it did look like it said Harry.
But.....it said "kick me".
Tommy Stinson wrote "kick me" on the back of her jacket!
What a classic Replacements thing to do.
She was crushed.
I thought it was funny as hell.
E

Awesome. And you're right, that’s a totally Replacement’s thing to do. If you’re a fan I strongly recommend their book Trouble Boys. It’s 500 pages of them doing shit like that.

#2209 11 months ago

All you guys that love the Mats like I do, RUN, don’t walk to get this. They’re drunk enough to be loose but sober enough to get through the gig which was paramount for them in the mid 80s. Absolute herd of elephants when they hit their stride. Out of four stars, this is clearly a seven. *******/4

image (resized).jpg

Edit to add: this is not a bootleg bullshit recording. This was recorded on the record cos. dime with big expectations, but the band did a faceplant and it was shelved for 30 years.

#2225 11 months ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

This was my favorite record from 2017. Highly recommended if you still enjoy listening to guitars.

You have great taste! This was also in my top three last year. The World’s Best American Band was the song of the summer, no doubt.

#2238 11 months ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Some creepy music for my day off...

Was there anything about that movie that wasn’t creepy? That soundtrack is excellent.

#2266 10 months ago

LCD Soundsystem Sound Of Silver and Stone Roses S/T to start off the evening. Gonna be a good night.

image (resized).jpg

#2268 10 months ago

Lol that’s actually on deck.

image (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2311 10 months ago

Been too long since I’ve spun this one.

image (resized).jpg

#2317 10 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Weekends almost over...
Get rockin’

Love Stagg Jr.

#2341 10 months ago

This has been getting a lot of playing time lately. It gets overlooked in their catalog, might be my favorite.

image (resized).jpg

#2344 10 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

You realize there is a Parental Advisory..

My daughter is at prom and my son is at a friends house so I’m going to play all my records with cussin’. Don’t tell Tipper.

#2355 10 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

A little Sabbath on the Sabbath? Yes please.

Nice spread Hoaky. What’s your favorite? I’ve been listening to Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules more lately than the Ozzy years. RJD was the only guy for that job when Ozzy left and goddamn did he do it well.

#2356 10 months ago

I wish my collection was big enough to warrant organizing by category or genre but like a dumb ass I threw all my albums out/sold them/gave them away in the 80s.

#2372 10 months ago

I was looking for a new R&B/soul album and grabbed this. It’s quite good. Reminds me of Sam Cooke.

image (resized).jpg

#2374 10 months ago
Quoted from emkay:

Good stuff. I'm still hoping to find Raphael Saadiq's The Way I See It on vinyl, another nearly perfect R&B/soul album.

Yikes! Just checked out Amazon and Discogs for that one. Good luck with your hunt.

Edit to add: thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check that out.

#2378 9 months ago
Quoted from emkay:

Good stuff. I'm still hoping to find Raphael Saadiq's The Way I See It on vinyl, another nearly perfect R&B/soul album.

Thanks for this, really like it.

#2387 9 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I wldnt really know what are treasures or not lol... im guessing at under a dollar a piece i really cant lose tho...

Please share them nonetheless, I always love to see what’s in those bulk buys. Nice score man.

#2388 9 months ago

Some say he’s an acquired taste. I think he’s brilliant.

image (resized).jpg

#2391 9 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wasnt really a bulk buy.... over the years i became good friends with a friend of mines aunt and uncle. They are getting older now and wanna get rid of alot of stuff they don't need/use. They wanted to give everything to me but i dont like just taking stuff . So i gave the 250 for everything thinking they are at least worth that. Saw some aerosmith, zeppelin, jethro tall, stones, young, skynyrd and tons other stuff. Pretty exciting

Awesome. That’s how I imagine unwinding all my records/cds/stereo equipment will go. Give it to family or friends who I know will appreciate them.

#2396 9 months ago
Quoted from Raincity:

Nothing acquired about ol' Tom. You either have taste and love him, or you're just plain wrong.

Amen

#2398 9 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I imagine passing it all down to my daughter.. but she doesn’t get my taste I don’t think. Yet..!

“Yet” is the key word. Although I know you’re talking about the vinyl because even the most naive can recognize the quality of your gear. I have people all the time saying “I’m not a big music person but your stereo looks/sounds incredible. It’s like the band is playing in your basement”.

#2400 9 months ago

Chocolate and Cheese? Yes please.

image (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2419 9 months ago

Daptone Gold II compilation. Fantastic compilation of the great Daptone bands. Very old school Soul and R&B.

image (resized).jpg

#2428 9 months ago

Here’s to the weekend.

image (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2456 8 months ago

Been listening to a lot of Spoon this week. And this is a great one. (They Want My Soul)

image (resized).jpg

#2468 8 months ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

All Them Witches is awesome. I'd love to see them live.
I like Mastodon in small doses. They're a great band, but like a lot of technically-proficient metal bands, I find them to be a bit "samey" after a handful of songs. I've got a signed copy of Leviathan on vinyl. I should post that in this thread one of these days...

Quoted from emkay:

I went straight home and ordered Sleeping Through The War on vinyl... they were solid. I'm not sure if it's good or bad when I can anticipate every move a drummer makes but I was pretty locked-on.
Mastodon's lead singer was corny, he mostly masturbated his guitar the whole night and kept pointing at one single fan he either liked or didn't (couldn't tell) who was behind us somewhere. Plus they suffered from the same problem Clutch did last year, just not sounding that great through Primus' sound equipment. Small doses sounds about right.

Might I suggest you guys pick up “Lightning At The Door” by ATW (on vinyl of course). It’s incredible and one of the finest sounding hard rock records I own. The way the drums are recorded sounds eerily close to the John Bonham sound. Awesome band. Sleeping Through The War is great too. One of the best unheard of bands out there in my opinion.

image (resized).jpg

#2478 8 months ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Stopped by a garage sale in the pouring rain today. Picked out a few and asked How much? Sweet older lady says they get get cheaper the more you buy. I ask how much for them all. She says $5.00. I tell her they're worth more then that. Says her husband is taking them to the dump tomorrow. I give her $20, load them up and she then says here's a record player that you can have. Needle is good so Bonus!
I found this cool Breakdance album. Includes this retro awesome, full size how to pop and moonwalk poster

100 upvotes for this. Most people would have paid the $5 and left. Good on you man.

#2483 8 months ago
Quoted from emkay:

BöC, Journey and Ozzy had a baby, might be the best hard rock album of the year so far.

Love Ghost! The BOC influence is undeniable, and a big reason I like them so much.

2 weeks later
#2508 8 months ago

Finally got some fresh vinyl in the house this week. Good stuff.

image (resized).jpg
#2514 8 months ago

Record cleaner is a must. All new vinyl gets a pass or two on this before playing.

image (resized).jpg
#2515 8 months ago

First course.

image (resized).jpg
#2543 7 months ago

I’ve had a taste for Beefheart all week. Eat it with a Spoon?

image (resized).jpg
#2562 7 months ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Long day. Kept sayin I will make sure to spin something today, but my stuff is sooooo out of order. And indecision may or may not be my problem...
I dont feel like counting thousands....so how about I jump on first shelf and someone names me 3 different numbers from say.....1 to 200.
And those will be my music choices of the night....

13, 77, 159

1 week later
#2600 7 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I plan on hitting IKEA today to look for some storage. I've told myself for the last 2 or 3 years I'm going to build a sweet custom rack. It might be time for a temporary solution. I was going to catalog my collection while I organized it into the new bins. Has anyone used Discogs? Any tips? I hate going to a yard sale or flea market and not being sure if I already have it. I'm sure I will find doubles.

Yes, I have my whole collection in Discogs. My pro tip would be to use the barcode scanner on the app when possible. It makes things 100x easier due to all the different pressings.

#2619 7 months ago