IMG_20240423_183930.jpg
IMG_20240423_183443.jpg
IMG_20240423_171908.jpg
IMG_20240423_172259 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240423_171028__01 (resized).jpg
20240423_073739 (resized).jpg
IMG_4682 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4683 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 7 years ago

Unfortunately, I wrote my initials on all my album covers back in the 70's in college as they tended to leave without coming back. I'm sure that hurts their worth, not that I am looking to sell them. I do need to look at getting a reasonably priced stereo/turntable so I can start listening to them again.

#67 7 years ago

I used to love some of the gadgets bands would do with their records. Led Zeppeling put a wheel on #3, windows on Physical Graffiti, and a brown paper wrapping covering I believe 4 different art work designs on the cover on In Through The Out Door. You could also wet the inner sleeve to colorize the pictures.

It was a treat when you found a poster inside. Pink Floyd had a post card in Wish You Were Here. Jethro Tull had like a 10 page newspaper fold out in Thick as a Brick.

I liked it when bands included the lyrics.

#100 7 years ago

The first album I got was in 1973: Deep Purple- Made in Japan. It still sounds great after all these years.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I have five of those as well, we obviously both have great taste. Some Enchanted Evening is killer.

I agree. Some Enchanted Evening is one of my favorite live records.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Don't forget "On Your Feet, Or On Your Knees".

Absolutely! Great version of "Cities on Flames".

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Having been born in 1959, I was raised on vinyl. Here's a few photos of my vintage stereo system. The turntable and quad receiver are both made by Marantz. The cassette deck is a Tandberg. The scope is a Panasonic.
Because my line-up is largely comprised of EMs and prewar games, I typically spin vinyl records while playing pinball. The EM sounds complement the music, in my view. The ambiance transports me back four decades.

Nice ceiling height in your basement!

2 months later
#262 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Played the hell out of these albums....
God's speed Greg Lake, we will miss you!!

The first 8-track I ever got was Pictures at an Exhibition. Greg Lake will be missed.

1 month later
#282 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Seemed a fitting place to post. In memory of Butch Trucks. Thank you for all my years of enjoying your albums.
A couple of pictures from one of the Allman Brothers concerts that I had the privilege to attend.

I saw The Allman Brothers a few times and they always put on a good show. I enjoyed the dual drumming of Butch and Jaimoe.

3 weeks later
#368 7 years ago

They were selling vinyl at the Yes concert last night. $25 each was steep and I have all their early stuff anyway on vinyl.

#370 7 years ago

Who is playing bass for them now?

Billy Sherwood. He played guitar along with Steve Howe with the band in the late 90's. He did a good job playing bass but Chris Squire was one of a kind. Alan White only played drums on 5 songs or so. I think his back is still bothering him. I don't know who the other guy was that played drums.

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Joes garage is my favorite Zappa song. Forever I think.

Catholic Girls is my favorite from Joe's Garage Vol.1.

My favorite Zappa album is Overnite Sensation.

R-692634-1421883896-6871.jpeg (resized).jpgR-692634-1421883896-6871.jpeg (resized).jpg

frank-zappa-overnite-sensation-cd-cover-21777 (resized).jpgfrank-zappa-overnite-sensation-cd-cover-21777 (resized).jpg

#433 7 years ago

Yes, Zappa has a huge catalog, but they almost never turn up in the used album bins.
A few years ago I found a pristine copy of Sheik Yourbouti at a flea market for $3.
The vendor asked me why I wanted to buy it, because.....you know.....Zappa sucks.
I said, "why are you selling it then?" as I handed him the money.
Unfortunately he (Zappa) has that stigma with some people.
Their loss.

Sheik Yourbouti has the classic "Broken Hearts are for Assholes."

Here is a clip when Zappa was on SNL. He even got Don Pardo involved.

2 weeks later
#541 7 years ago

I have that Linda Ronstadt picture disc as well.

1 week later
#624 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Festival seating... the ticket never got taken. They opened the doors and got out of the way.

I got crushed a couple of times at festival seating concerts. A Zeppelin show had to be a madhouse.

2 weeks later
#692 7 years ago

I saw Aldo Nova warm up for Sammy Hagar in 1982. Good stuff!

#716 7 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Today's score 84 LP's for $50 at a yard sale.

Nice score! I'll take that BOC album off your hands for you.

3 months later
#1184 6 years ago

I want to start playing my vinyl collection again after years of collecting dust. Are there any decent turntables that can be paired to a speaker by bluetooth? I'm trying to save on space by going this route.

2 weeks later
#1245 6 years ago

I played Steve Miller "Book of Dreams" for the first time in a long time. The record contains an order sheet for t-shirts ($5 each) and concert tour programs ($3.50) and other items. It's probably too late to put my order in.

BOC's records had an address where if you sent something like $.35 or $.50 they would send you the lyrics to all their songs. I did that back around 1980 and got the lyrics printed on the old green and white computer paper. I must have tossed them some time ago as I don't have them any more.

#1247 6 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I went to the Book of Dreams concert in the late seventies.One of the best ever.

I wish I saw him on that tour. I saw him when Abracadabra came out and really enjoyed the show.

1 week later
#1293 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Yeah, but that's just the turquoise lettering variation. Well known among collectors.

Time to buy a turqouise sharpie.

1 month later
#1407 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

They tour a lot. I've seen them 4 times in the last 3 years and could have seen them on more dates.
The show is basically the same, set list hardly changes. I did catch Haywood on a small solo tour that was even better. He did "Forever Autumn", it was magical.

I've seen the Moody Blues 5 times over the years. The best was in 1984 when Stevie Ray Vaughn opened up for them at The Meadowlands. Patrick Moraz was on keyboards and sounded great.

3 months later
#1763 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I know most Pinsiders hate the Beatles and look at them as "grandpaw's music" but you can get a picture disc of Sgt. Pepper's for $20 today!
Don't turn it up too loud, or you won't be able to hear if there's kids playing on your lawn.
amazon.com link »

Thanks for the heads up! Tempting even though I have the original with the intact cardboard cutouts.

#1808 6 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Spinning this tonight, as I work on restoring a Fathom.

My favorite Zappa/Mothers album. That one looks like it has been played a few times!

#1855 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I will say that Ten Years After with Going Home live at Woodstock left a permanent auditory memory in my brain.

Bill Graham's voice thanking 10 Years After after the song is classic.

#1888 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

1974 at East Carolina Univ.
One of the best southern rock jam bands I've ever seen. Including Skynyrd and Wet Willie same year.

I saw Marshall Tucker at a hockey arena at Clarkson U. in northern NY in 1977. I have to agree that they along with the Allman Brothers were the best southern rock concerts I have been to.

#1920 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Dammit, why did I go look?
Air - Moon Safari $11.77
Beck - Guero $10.13
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book $9.89
Plus all of what Vid posted and a couple others... oh and that Bowie showed up on my porch yesterday. I'm gonna have to put myself on a budget soon!

Now I looked and found Roxy Music- Country Life. It is one of my favorite album covers of all time. I might have to order it for $13.22

country_1413723764_crop_550x561 (resized).jpgcountry_1413723764_crop_550x561 (resized).jpg

#1970 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I know cassettes are making a comeback, but i had my fill of them in the 80s. That's one format i won't be revisiting.

8 Tracks were even worse. The sound quality was poor and you could not rewind or fast forward.

1 week later
#2029 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

A band I never saw live. Regrets.
"Schizophrenic? I'm bleeding Quadrophenic."

I saw them on their supposed "farewell tour" in 1982 along with David Johansen and The Clash at Shea Stadium.

1 week later
#2106 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Been digging into my brother’s hand-me-down vinyls lately. Nothing wrong with a little late night Rainbow. Dio rocks

I just listened to that a couple of days ago. Still sounds great to me!

2 months later
#2417 5 years ago

I saw Dr. Dirty a few times in the late '70's, early '80's. Lot's of filth and fun.

#2424 5 years ago

The Good Rats were one of the best bar bands in the NY area in the early '80's. Twisted Sister got their name from one of their songs.

2 months later
#2752 5 years ago

I recently bought this album since I attended the concert in 1982 when The Clash warmed up for The Who. The recording sounds better than it did from the upper deck at Shea Stadium. I think the only other concert I attended that made it to an album was when I saw Rush at The Montreal Forum in 1981. Some of the tracks on Exit... Stage Left are from that show.

8A43A3FC-86F9-4F40-9B6E-75F2ABFCDD40 (resized).jpeg8A43A3FC-86F9-4F40-9B6E-75F2ABFCDD40 (resized).jpeg
#2755 5 years ago
Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

I saw the same show at the Oakland Coliseum that year--awesome show! I believe it was the Who's first "farewell" tour---ha!

You are correct! It was billed as The Who's farewell tour and I bought into it. My biggest complaint was the Mets were horrible back then and my seat was broken. I guess they figured no fans would be sitting in the upper deck to watch them so why bother fixing it.

#2775 5 years ago

Great find indeed! Any time I go to Salvation Army or good will I can't find any rock albums.

#2780 5 years ago

If you are into Genesis, Steve Hackett is selling signed copies of some of the Genesis albums (on vinyl) that he played on. A little pricey at 21 pounds but I ordered a couple anyway (Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound).

https://store.hackettsongs.com/

1 month later
#3044 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

With one of the most perfect albums.
Played it out.
Saw them in Atlanta in ‘76 .. or was it '77? The memory was impaired.
But Wakeman and Howe were incredible.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I had to give this post a thumbs up.

1 month later
#3218 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Thanks! Arrived today. What a great deal.
[quoted image]

Mine arrived as well!

3 months later
#3707 5 years ago

I heard this album more than any other back in the 70's.

220px-Frampton_Comes_Alive (resized).jpg220px-Frampton_Comes_Alive (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl?tu=SteveO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.