• Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240328_005758 (resized).jpg
20240328_005745 (resized).jpg
20240328_003752 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 21-41-07 February 1987 - md88cs.pdf (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 21-34-28 Pinside Vinyl Club Sights and sounds Pinside.com (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 21-33-20 Depeche Mode - Violator - Pop Rock - Vinyl - Walmart.com (resized).png
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6273 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5645 (resized).JPG
IMG_5643 (resized).JPG
Snapchat-1721915852 (resized).jpg
IMG_1063 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3501 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3489 (resized).jpeg

There are 12,922 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 259.
#1 7 years ago

Just got into collecting some vinyl. Usually when I'm working on games I like to listen to full albums.

My record player seems ok, but I need to pick up a new receiver and some speakers. Right now it's plugged into my home theatre.

My listening tastes are kinda all over the place. This is the stuff I picked up over the last few days.

#2 7 years ago

Vinyl sales increasing year on year.

Bit like pinballs, look for the limited editions, colored vinyl.

Fun hobby

#3 7 years ago

JOURNEY

When you said vinyl, i thought you ment rolls of vinyl for vinyl cutters.

#4 7 years ago

i do but just new limited editions lp's

#5 7 years ago

Nice Roy Clark and Stray Cats.

We always had a record player when I was growing up so listening to albums was always fun. I have a soft spot for Southern Gospel Quartets especially live Kingsmen albums. Lots of hooping and hollering and getting excited for Jesus!

I need to get a record player and start building a collection. I have a few albums right now but no way to listen to them.

#6 7 years ago

I buy a record every now and then, usually while on vacation somewhere. Here's what I got...

https://www.discogs.com/user/tomdotcom88/collection

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nice Roy Clark and Stray Cats.
We always had a record player when I was growing up so listening to albums was always fun. I have a soft spot for Southern Gospel Quartets especially live Kingsmen albums. Lots of hooping and hollering and getting excited for Jesus!
I need to get a record player and start building a collection. I have a few albums right now but no way to listen to them.

Yeah, I feel like music for me had just become about a random shuffle on some internet radio station or whatever is on my phone. Feels really impersonal and detached.

Want to reconnect with music again and listening to full length albums is really doing that for me.

Something kinda charming about that crackle and hiss of an old record.

#8 7 years ago

I hoard vinyl lol

if you count 45's I'm well over 10,000

yes a lot of it is crap but I like digging and making beats.(I'm into really weird stuff that could be Sampled)

I also started an auction company so a lot comes through here. so I pick up a lot of collections. And a lot of people will just give me them for free or really cheap. I get a lot of hookups and word of mouth helps. Some people know I'm the vinyl guy at auctions or flea markets lol

I do buy some new stuff and have a record coming from Germany, which I'm pumped for, as we speak. BSD.U Late Night Bumps which is a collection of Lo-Fi beat tapes

my basement is crates of vinyl, pinball, retro video games, and a laundry room lol (and of coarse stuff to listen to or make music)

but to make it short I love records and use to DJ. I still mix at home which is a blast.

#9 7 years ago

bought a record player a year ago
been buying childhood known records now and then

elvis
been gees
simon and garfunkel
zz top
acdc
meatloaf
golden earing
herman brood
abba
carpenters
neil diamond
julio iglesias
queen
kiss
frank sinatra
etc. kinda all over the place

ooooh my god, i'm turning into my parrents!

#10 7 years ago

I do, i have most of my 80's rock discs (+ the ones i inherited from my older brother) and the last 8 years ive been enlarging it slowly.

I also somewhat collect older vinyls, bought an old broken grammophone and fixed it some years ago, and got a taste for those old jazz and marhes

IMG_1254 (resized).JPGIMG_1254 (resized).JPG

IMG_1262 (resized).JPGIMG_1262 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

Metal.

Just started listing mine around a month ago.

https://www.discogs.com/user/VegasJaws/collection

#12 7 years ago

I do.
I'm a Marantz fan and got a nice turntable from the late 70's
IMG_0807 (resized).JPGIMG_0807 (resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

Mr. Marston where are youuuu?

#14 7 years ago

Love me some vinyl. Have over 500 albums and play them on my vertical turntable:

turntable (resized).jpgturntable (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

Yup. Pinball isn't expensive or difficult enough so I need something else to balance things out. Pretty excited to pick this up today!

IMG_2500 (resized).JPGIMG_2500 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago

You win.

Quoted from mikeincali:

vertical turntable

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from mikeincali:

Love me some vinyl. Have over 500 albums and play them on my vertical turntable:

That thing is cool. I've never seen one before.

#18 7 years ago

I have 7000 45 records and 1500 albums in alphabetical order. I have some real nice mint box sets that I made for all the jukeboxes I collected over the years. Starts at one end of the room and ends at the other.

The 45 records are in all new homemade white sleeves (made with computer paper and razor compass) and records are cleaned, priced, rated, dated and on each sleeve in the name of the song and group and more. Took many years to organize, but I can find any record in under 30 seconds.

Winter months I spend a lot of time in the pool room adding/organizing and listening to all kinds of music. Always loved records as a kid growing up and still today.

NEW PIC'S 112 (resized).jpgNEW PIC'S 112 (resized).jpg

NEW PIC'S 113 (resized).jpgNEW PIC'S 113 (resized).jpg

NEW PIC'S 116 (resized).jpgNEW PIC'S 116 (resized).jpg

NEW PIC'S 117 (resized).jpgNEW PIC'S 117 (resized).jpg

PR TBT SS 017 (resized).jpgPR TBT SS 017 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

I really enjoy listening to vinyl. I just got a new floating record player and love the quality. It has a built in preamp and speakers or you can output to your stereo. Watching some of the new color records spin is mesmerizing.

If anyone decides to purchase one let me know and ill give you a link that get us each a $20 discount.

IMG_3998 (resized).jpgIMG_3998 (resized).jpg

https://www.gramovox.com

#20 7 years ago

Everytime I think about vinyl, I picture Howard Stern ripping on Baba Booey for his vinyl collection.

#21 7 years ago

What's the best method for cleaning? My setup sounds great but lots of snap crackle pop.

#22 7 years ago

i just pre ordered stranger things lp.

3d2228d0-9ff2-407a-852a-b29bde40db0c_zn5eb0 (resized).jpg3d2228d0-9ff2-407a-852a-b29bde40db0c_zn5eb0 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

What's the best method for cleaning? My setup sounds great but lots of snap crackle pop.

Get a CD player?

#24 7 years ago

My other hobby is hi-fi and vinyl is my drug of choice. I only have a couple hundred LPs but the ones I have I play a lot. If you have nice equipment, you just melt into your chair when a nicely recorded album is played.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I use a vacuum style record cleaner and a zerostat gun. If it's a good pressing, I have zero suface noise.

these things seriously work

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Get a CD player?

HAHA i got new record player for $60 and i just output the sound to my system.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

You might need new needle

#27 7 years ago

I only say that because I love the crackle and pop.

#28 7 years ago

Got a little crazy and by 2015 had around 6,000 to 7,000 lps. Just sold the entire collection (save about 200 or so). Kept my JA Michell table. Still love vinyl.
Music Room 2a (resized).jpgMusic Room 2a (resized).jpg20150102_120720 (resized).jpg20150102_120720 (resized).jpg20150102_120847 (resized).jpg20150102_120847 (resized).jpg2015-01-04 11.10.20_resized_1 (resized).jpg2015-01-04 11.10.20_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

Nice gear^^^

#30 7 years ago

Old school here - albums, 1970's-Pioneer turntable, Pioneer SA-9500 integrated amp, and AR speakers.

#31 7 years ago

You guys are making me want to get serious.

#32 7 years ago

I'm a Marantz/McIntosh/Dali guy.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

I only say that because I love the crackle and pop.

Noooo, I love it too. Just sometimes it's a little excessive. Gonna get a new needle and maybe the cleaner chisox suggested.

#34 7 years ago

Vinyl rules for a lot of reasons. I haven't purchased much lately, but I still have mine from back in the day. Spent mucho dinero on my metal/hard rock habit. Lots of memories involved. I can remember where I got most of them and the times back then. I do miss the way the music industry was back in the 80s when a tasty guitar solo still meant something.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Even nicer gear! Unfortunately my hearing is going or i would be continuing my lifelong quest for sound perfection ... an expensive mission to be sure.

My faves are my Michell Gyrodec and my Mordaunt Short Performance 880's that I bought as demos out of Sony Music Studios in NYC

The mono amps are packed up at the moment.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

BTW what deck/arm/cart you running there. Looks sweet

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

BTW what deck/arm/cart you running there. Looks sweet

It's a Marantz tt-15 which is just a rebranded Clearaudio table. it has a Clearaudio Satisfy arm and came with a Clearaudio Virtuoso wood cartridge but the suspension blew out so I just replaced it with my go to bang for the buck Shure M97xE for the time being. So sorry to hear about your hearing issues. That has to be really tough with your obvious love for music.

#38 7 years ago

Thinking about picking up one of these. I like that the Sansui comes with speakers. Do I need a preamp?

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#39 7 years ago

Just purchased a stupidly expensive cartridge and needle from Soundsmith. Makes a huge difference.

#40 7 years ago

I am also a vinyl fan. You can input your records and see what they are worth at discogs.com. It is like pinside, but for vinyl.

#41 7 years ago

http://fortune.com/2016/04/16/vinyl-sales-record-store-day/

Sales of vinyl will keep increasing it seems as younger generation i.e teen market are appreciating having a real album with real artwork as compared to a digital download that doesn't sound as good.

And most vinyls include the digital download anyway.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

My other hobby is hi-fi and vinyl is my drug of choice. I only have a couple hundred LPs but the ones I have I play a lot. If you have nice equipment, you just melt into your chair when a nicely recorded album is played.

Huge vinyl fan here too, been collecting for over 20 years. Nice avatar BTW, be sure to catch Ween on their reunion tour! I just saw them recently and oh man what good memories!

#43 7 years ago

Hey guys I actually own an run one of the largest record stores in the Chicagoland area. We have been in business 43 years and I have been at the helm for over a decade now. We have over 500,000 LPs 45, 78,s we also recondition and sell stereo equipment. We also sell pinballs. Weird right? Heres our website. ToadHallonline.com pinsiders always get discounts.

Aside from my shameless plug I will happily answer any questions you guys might have. It's what I do for a living so Ive just about seen it all.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thinking about picking up one of these. I like that the Sansui comes with speakers. Do I need a preamp?

You shouldn't need a pre amp. That reciever will have a phono setting for input. That's what you run your turntable into. Also I'd take that Sansui over the Marantz although both are good pieces. Before buying speakers check the foam surrounds on the woofers. Make sure the tweeters all work. Either Reciever will probably have crackle in the knobs when you buy it. There's a fix for that. Get online and buy a can of "deoxit" take it apart and spray the pots. Work them back and forth like 50x and it should work great . Also a fantastic fix for early solid state pins that have the same thing for volume control.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Hey guys I actually own an run one of the largest record stores in the Chicagoland area. We have been in business 43 years and I have been at the helm for over a decade now. We have over 500,000 LPs 45, 78,s we also recondition and sell stereo equipment. We also sell pinballs. Weird right? Heres our website. ToadHallonline.com pinsiders always get discounts.
Aside from my shameless plug I will happily answer any questions you guys might have. It's what I do for a living so Ive just about seen it all.

You shouldn't need a pre amp. That reciever will have a phono setting for input. That's what you run your turntable into. Also I'd take that Sansui over the Marantz although both are good pieces. Before buying speakers check the foam surrounds on the woofers. Make sure the tweeters all work. Either Reciever will probably have crackle in the knobs when you buy it. There's a fix for that. Get online and buy a can of "deoxit" take it apart and spray the pots. Work them back and forth like 50x and it should work great . Also a fantastic fix for early solid state pins that have the same thing for volume control.

Ok, question please. Always wondered if a power amp improves sound enough to warrant their cost?

#45 7 years ago

I own a couple hundred records but don't consider it collecting. Most are mine from childhood and my deceased mother's.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Ok, question please. Always wondered if a power amp improves sound enough to warrant their cost?

Depends on the amp and receiver in question. If you were looking to venture into 2 channel on a budget, I'd recommend this:
https://outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Great info, thanks! Gonna see if I can get the Sansui receiver and speakers today.

Nice looking store! What's the discount for Pinsiders who order from you?

#47 7 years ago

Baba booey

Lol at "vinyl". They're record albums.

Anyone here collect steel and rubber? I means cars...

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Baba booey

Pretty widely accepted term, party boy.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

Just got into collecting some vinyl.

Vinyl sales increasing year on year.

Quoted from timtim:

I hoard vinyl lol

Quoted from Luzur:

I also somewhat collect older vinyls

Quoted from mikeincali:

Love me some vinyl.

Quoted from tron1969:

I really enjoy listening to vinyl.

Quoted from Chisox:

My other hobby is hi-fi and vinyl is my drug of choice.

Quoted from MT45:

Still love vinyl.

Quoted from pinkid:

Vinyl rules for a lot of reasons.

Quoted from wtuttle:

It is like pinside, but for vinyl.

And most vinyls include the digital download anyway.

Quoted from Playmatic:

Huge vinyl fan here too

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Baba booey

but that's the most commonly accepted term for them now so...

p.s. yes i have multiple espn windows open

#50 7 years ago

I have a collection of several hundred old prog and jazz fusion albums. Are they worth anything? Camel, gentle giant, starcastle, bill bruford, steve howe, mark oconnor, pat methaney, etc.. I can write down a more complete list.

I sold about 20 of them at my tag sale for about 75 cents each. He took my number and now wants more. What should i do?

There are 12,922 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl?hl=pin-bot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.