IMG_4682 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4683 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0193 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0191 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0186 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0185 (resized).jpeg
20240421_190833 (resized).jpg
There are 13,123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 263.
#51 7 years ago

Glad I bought my LPs when they were current. The prices of the re-releases is crazy. 60 bucks for a double album??

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

guys I actually own an run one of the largest record stores in the Chicagoland area

Quoted from Three60in:

We also sell pinballs.

Great combo. Living the dream.

#53 7 years ago

I kept most of my albums from the late 80's early 90's, as well as my dads turntable. Stopped playing them in the mid 90's when CD's took over. Until about 4 years ago when my 12 year old son became obsessed with vinyl. Now we're both scouring record stores and fairs whenever we get a chance.

#54 7 years ago

I have collected for a while (20 years)... probably at 500 LP's and 500 45's. Who wants to trade? --PM me!

I'm mostly into oddball 50's-80's soul and rock. Punk+hardcore from 80's-2000's. Some bluegrass and folk as well. I have some good duplicate $5-$10 albums that I would love to trade for others that I do not own.

#55 7 years ago

Last one I bought was the Roxy Music live album. That one is a keeper.

edit- Viva! 1976
I see there is a new one out too.

#56 7 years ago

You can clean records very simply, use a clean, damp washcloth and follow the grooves around the LP - let drip dry or wave vinyl in the air until dry. I used to collect a ton of vintage records (Martin Denny, Esquivel, etc.) and this always worked like a champ.

I love my Pro-Ac Response 3.5's!!!

Vinyl has actually decreased in price, availability of so much via the internet has made lots of hard-to-hear LP's very obtainable. The higher prices for newly pressed records I would guess is due to the low-volume made.

-Nate

#57 7 years ago

Unfortunately, I wrote my initials on all my album covers back in the 70's in college as they tended to leave without coming back. I'm sure that hurts their worth, not that I am looking to sell them. I do need to look at getting a reasonably priced stereo/turntable so I can start listening to them again.

#58 7 years ago

I remember people who trashed or gave away their albums when CDs 1st came out. Idiots........

#59 7 years ago

I collect the packaging the vinyl was shipped it. Way more interesting than the vinyl disc itself. And my laughing at "vinyl" because I listen to the Stern Show and he's busts on Baba Booey for calling it "pieces of vinyl". Which does sound retarded.

20160909_190945 (1) (resized).jpg20160909_190945 (1) (resized).jpg
20160909_165119 (1) (resized).jpg20160909_165119 (1) (resized).jpg

#60 7 years ago

Along with Death and Taxes, another inevitability is there's always a Dan Fogelberg album in every record bin at the flea market. Oak Ridge Boys would be a close 2nd.

14192048_10154497001528158_4534754449654440160_n (resized).jpg14192048_10154497001528158_4534754449654440160_n (resized).jpg

#61 7 years ago

Records are a nice change from CD or hires...you're more involved with them. Cleaning, flipping, moving the arm, checking out the great artwork...even hunting for music you'd never have found before is fun (some cannot be found on CD either).
I remember finding a Journey 'Captured Live' album (1 of 2 LP) tucked inside an Earth, Wind, & Fire album...which was great as that Live album is fantastic!

Can get to be a VERY expensive hobby though.

#62 7 years ago

I bought Weird Al's latest album on vinyl after seeing his show live but the record is warped.

Any easy tricks to fix a warped record?

#63 7 years ago

In College (77-81) and beyond my 4 favorite things in no particular order were buying & listening to Albums (&45's) playing pinball. (Dimension in my suite) concerts and weedy things. Back then I used to trade all my "garbage"records and buy new ones with the proceeds. I never stopped buying vinyl from record stores to thrift stores and flea marketsIt was mostly Punk, New Wave, Reggae, Classic rock, electronic (Kraftwerk, Cluster & Eno, etc)
I still buy and have too much of it. I'm not complaining. Have doubles and triples of some stuff)

#64 7 years ago

I only enjoy listening to stuff on vinyl because it reminds me of when i used to listen to them as a kid. I actually enjoy hearing the same imperfections in the records over and over, assuming they aren't skipping. I know, weird.

#65 7 years ago

I still have some....

IMG_20160915_101630644 (resized).jpgIMG_20160915_101630644 (resized).jpg

#66 7 years ago

"Along with Death and Taxes, another inevitability is there's always a Dan Fogelberg album in every record bin at the flea market. Oak Ridge Boys would be a close 2nd."

Don't forget "Sing Along with Mitch" and 101 Strings!!!

Grinder901 - put record between clear plastic or glass, put something heavy on it, place it out in the hot sun. I've heard you can also microwave, but not sure how many seconds - you don't want to do that too long!!

#67 7 years ago

I used to love some of the gadgets bands would do with their records. Led Zeppeling put a wheel on #3, windows on Physical Graffiti, and a brown paper wrapping covering I believe 4 different art work designs on the cover on In Through The Out Door. You could also wet the inner sleeve to colorize the pictures.

It was a treat when you found a poster inside. Pink Floyd had a post card in Wish You Were Here. Jethro Tull had like a 10 page newspaper fold out in Thick as a Brick.

I liked it when bands included the lyrics.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I collect the packaging the vinyl was shipped it. Way more interesting than the vinyl disc itself. And my laughing at "vinyl" because I listen to the Stern Show and he's busts on Baba Booey for calling it "pieces of vinyl". Which does sound retarded.

How do you mount the record jackets to your wall ? Looks great, I would like to do something similar w/ mine. Are there records in those jackets on the wall?

Don C.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

How do you mount the record jackets to your wall ? Looks great, I would like to do something similar w/ mine. Are there records in those jackets on the wall?
Don C.

The records, if in playable condition, are given to my son because he enjoys using his turntable (or is that now called a vinyl spinner?).

I just use two small slivers of double sided tape (top and bottom of the cover) to keep them stuck to the wall. But I don't care about the condition of the back of the album cover and the tape can peel some paper from the back when removed from the wall. The tape will peel off the wall with no damage to the wall though.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Great info, thanks! Gonna see if I can get the Sansui receiver and speakers today.
Nice looking store! What's the discount for Pinsiders who order from you?

Any used Vinyl. I can give you 20% off. Our website doesn't have a formal code enter. But just type"pinside" into the comments or notes area and I will take it off. We always have a flat $5 shipping. If your looking for anything specific. Remember that our website only has aprx. 2000 LPS on it. Our store has 500000. So just cause it's not on our site doesn't mean we don't have it. You can PM me a list or call or email. We can get you set up.

I've definitely had those speakers before. I believe they have a giant woofer. like a 15". They sounded pretty good. $200 is a deal if everything works. I usually get that for just the speakers. And another $200 or $300 for the amp. But stuff is hard to get in my area.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The records, if in playable condition, are given to my son because he enjoys using his turntable (or is that now called a vinyl spinner?).
I just use two small slivers of double sided tape (top and bottom of the cover) to keep them stuck to the wall. But I don't care about the condition of the back of the album cover and the tape can peel some paper from the back when removed from the wall. The tape will peel off the wall with no damage to the wall though.

I was recently looking for an original presisng of "Kill em All" and it's selling for decent $...

See a lot of good albums on your wall. Good taste in music.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I was recently looking for an original presisng of "Kill em All" and it's selling for decent $...
ebay.com link

I bet it is. Found mine mint at a yard sale for $1. Most of the albums we bought for the wall are flea market/yard sale finds for $1 each. Picked up another mint Led Zep 4 last weekend for a buck to give to my son.

Only ones I've had to buy online were a Weezer album because my wife loves them and GNR Appetite for Destruction.

#73 7 years ago

I collect and listen to vinyl. Grew up with it, but we dove headfirst into digital in 87 due to our equiptment wasn't high end and it was time for a chance. Dove back in a few years ago and have 1000+ albums and 45's.

Have a mix of everything from Bing Crosby to Iron Maiden. It's a bit shocking to see how much new vinyl costs, but it's great that the format is alive and kicking.

#74 7 years ago

Have Vinyl, Buy Vinyl, Watch the show Vinyl, play the record player in my office every week...Wilco and Tom Petty were today's spins....Not sure I'd say I collect Vinyl but maybe I do?

It's nice to listen to a complete Album, New great listen beginning to end is Mudcrutch 2. Highly recomend this one folks.

Bally Bill

#75 7 years ago

I have both Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All 1st releases on Megaforce . I think RTL is a promo copy. Seems like I have a KEA on RoadRunner label too............

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Any used Vinyl. I can give you 20% off. Our website doesn't have a formal code enter. But just type"pinside" into the comments or notes area and I will take it off. We always have a flat $5 shipping.

Took a quick look at your site and found something I need. Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy. Thank you!

#77 7 years ago

Excitable Boy is a classic. Used to have a very nice collection but it was given to goodwill while I was in college.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Playmatic:

Huge vinyl fan here too, been collecting for over 20 years. Nice avatar BTW, be sure to catch Ween on their reunion tour! I just saw them recently and oh man what good memories!

I'm seeing them tomorrow night!! So stoked.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I'm a Marantz/McIntosh/Dali guy.

I have 3 units...a Marantz 2230, 2235, and the big bad boy known as the Pioneer 1250.

I was thinking of dipping my toe into McIntosh land, question is is there really a noticeable difference? Have you ever tried their vintage tube units?

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have 3 units...a Marantz 2230, 2235, and the big bad boy known as the Pioneer 1250.
I was thinking of dipping my toe into McIntosh land, question is is there really a noticeable difference? Have you ever tried their vintage tube units?

I've heard them but haven't owned them. I have a newer tube pre-amp and solid state amplifier alnong with a vintage tuner and they're incredible. It's tough to say whether or not there will be a huge difference for you because it's all about taste. I've heard systems with old McIntosh tube amps that were wonderful, but I like the laid back warm sound of McIntosh.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I remember people who trashed or gave away their albums when CDs 1st came out. Idiots........

Idiot here. Ended up buying most of them back.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

Can get to be a VERY expensive hobby though.

It doesn't have to be. Every yard sale and second hand store has records. The fun is finding the diamond in the rough.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It doesn't have to be. Every yard sale and second hand store has records. The fun is finding the diamond in the rough.

Problem now is the dealers get to the yard sale well before Ive even woken up.

#84 7 years ago

I have a Rockola 470.

#85 7 years ago

Yeah vinyl is my other obsession

I have just under 800 albums. I've been collecting since buying my first album – 'Brothers in Arms' back in 1985
My Discogs collection: https://goo.gl/Ub8VDE

I play them on an old early 80s Bang and Olufsen that I rescued from the father of a friend's garage about six years ago. He had passed away and I was helping clear away years of his hoarded junk. It was covered in dust and oil, but after a good clean and a replacement belt, it came back to life. I have a similar aged NAD amp that I got from a junk shop about the same time.

IMG_2831 (resized).JPGIMG_2831 (resized).JPG

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

http://fortune.com/2016/04/16/vinyl-sales-record-store-day/
Sales of vinyl will keep increasing it seems as younger generation i.e teen market are appreciating having a real album with real artwork as compared to a digital download that doesn't sound as good.
And most vinyls include the digital download anyway.

Was just watching this great vid the other day about a new record pressing plant in Canada, the owner shares a similar view about the teen market, makes sense. Holding the real album & the art was always important, a complete package.

I am getting back into vinyl after the distraction of buying cd's for a few decades. 180 gram vinyl reissues of my favourite albums is what got me back in, love the quality pressings.

#87 7 years ago

I had a great collection at one time. My dad had a bar with a DJ booth full of records from the 70's and 80's. I sifted through them as a teenager and pulled out hundreds along with all the stuff I collected from yard sales and flea markets. I hung on to some of the ones that I really liked, I'm honestly not sure what happened to the rest. I think they were lost in a move or something.

I got back in a couple years ago. I bought one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1
I don't recall paying that much, but it seems like a great turntable. It has a built in preamp, to some this is it's downfall. There is a simple mod to remove the preamp circuitry completely I might do. It also has a switch to disable it. I built one of these from a kit.
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/bugle2
I don't see the un assembled version, maybe he doesn't sell kits anymore. I found the improvement to be huge with the preamp. Of course I wanted the improvement to be huge, so much of this stuff is tough to be non biased.

Come on over and listen to some vinyl and play some pinball!

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Problem now is the dealers get to the yard sale well before Ive even woken up.

Most older stock isn't too bad. Yes, if you want that first UK pressing of Physical Graffiti, you're going to pay for it. But at both of my local vinyl stores, you can find alot in the 3-7 range. What will get your are those copies that came out post 87 when CDs were stated to get phased in.

Overall, I almost can't stand listening to digital music anymore. Analog is so much more natural to my ears.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What will get your are those copies that came out post 87 when CDs were stated to get phased in.

That's so true....that was the vinyl drought. Any self respecting artist from that era that did CD only releases should be re-pressing them on vinyl.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I had a great collection at one time. My dad had a bar with a DJ booth full of records from the 70's and 80's. I sifted through them as a teenager and pulled out hundreds along with all the stuff I collected from yard sales and flea markets. I hung on to some of the ones that I really liked, I'm honestly not sure what happened to the rest. I think they were lost in a move or something.
I got back in a couple years ago. I bought one of these.
amazon.com link »
I don't recall paying that much, but it seems like a great turntable. It has a built in preamp, to some this is it's downfall. There is a simple mod to remove the preamp circuitry completely I might do. It also has a switch to disable it. I built one of these from a kit.
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/bugle2
I don't see the un assembled version, maybe he doesn't sell kits anymore. I found the improvement to be huge with the preamp. Of course I wanted the improvement to be huge, so much of this stuff is tough to be non biased.
Come on over and listen to some vinyl and play some pinball!

I'll take you up on that!

Picked up my Sansui speakers snd receiver tonight. Sounded great in the guys house but sounded like garbage when I got it home. Pretty sure it's the speaker wire. Going to work on the fine tuning tomorrow.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I'll take you up on that!
Picked up my Sansui speakers snd receiver tonight. Sounded great in the guys house but sounded like garbage when I got it home. Pretty sure it's the speaker wire. Going to work on the fine tuning tomorrow.

What's it sound like? Could be wire or RCA cables. Also make sure you have the table plugged into phono. And not auxiliary or tape. That will do it too. If it has a hmmmm or buzzz. It is a ground wire issup from the table. Start by tuning the reciever to the radio. That way you can eliminate the speakers, wires and amp. Then try the table.

#92 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from StormyX73:

Yeah vinyl is my other obsession
I have just under 800 albums. I've been collecting since buying my first album – 'Brothers in Arms' back in 1985
My Discogs collection: https://goo.gl/Ub8VDE

Your link didn't work for me, but here's mine: https://goo.gl/fU15Ln.
I've been buying records since I was young, I guess it's become a collection. About 10 years ago a junkie roommate stole all but one crate of records so I lost a lot of the older stuff I had before that. Including the first Ween LP that they put out themselves which I got for $5 and seems to go for a lot these days..

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

Everytime I think about vinyl, I picture Howard Stern ripping on Baba Booey for his vinyl collection.

Thought the exact same thing! I have 9 pieces of vinyl...

HIT EM WITH THE HEINNNNNEEEE!!!!!

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Along with Death and Taxes, another inevitability is there's always a Dan Fogelberg album in every record bin at the flea market. Oak Ridge Boys would be a close 2nd.

Unless you live where I live. Then you'd have a nice selection of the Moms and Dads or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

#96 7 years ago

I am a huge vinyl fan. From the time I bought my very first record (Michael Jackson's Thriller) I was hooked. My collection includes everything from old school country (Bucky Owens, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash - obviously) to recent purchases from live shows (yay for Sloan!!). In general I am a minimalist, I don't keep anything. The only things I'll never part with are pinball machines and vinyl!

#97 7 years ago

Just scored some reggae!

IMG_20160915_200510171 (resized).jpgIMG_20160915_200510171 (resized).jpg

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I bought Weird Al's latest album on vinyl after seeing his show live but the record is warped.
Any easy tricks to fix a warped record?

Sadly, no.
It would be like trying to fix a warped playfield.
Best to just get another, I daresay.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

What's it sound like? Could be wire or RCA cables. Also make sure you have the table plugged into phono. And not auxiliary or tape. That will do it too. If it has a hmmmm or buzzz. It is a ground wire issup from the table. Start by tuning the reciever to the radio. That way you can eliminate the speakers, wires and amp. Then try the table.

Muffled and crackly.

#100 7 years ago

The first album I got was in 1973: Deep Purple- Made in Japan. It still sounds great after all these years.

There are 13,123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 263.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl/page/2?hl=dookski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.