IMG_20240423_183930.jpg
IMG_20240423_183443.jpg
IMG_20240423_171908.jpg
IMG_20240423_172259 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240423_171028__01 (resized).jpg
20240423_073739 (resized).jpg
IMG_4682 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4683 (resized).jpeg
There are 13,127 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 263.
#801 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Tommy Bolin plays out of his mind on that album. Oh yeah, Billy's pretty good too.

Tommy Bolin.. Tommy Bolin.... where have I heard.....

(:

#802 7 years ago

Not sure if I can join or not. Will let ya'll decide.

I have very few albums - most of them from my short stint at a radio station. Most of the 12"ers I have are singles or remixes.

Then I have about 400 45's, of various ages. Mostly purchased to put in here:

iKJ77jz (resized).jpgiKJ77jz (resized).jpg

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have very few albums - most of them from my short stint at a radio station. Most of the 12"ers I have are singles or remixes.

It's vinyl. 45s are pure vinyl!

#804 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You're in. 45s are special and have not retained the peak of vinyl as albums because they don't make any changes any more.

Jukes are great, I have one myself. I'm guessing you'rs is a mid 80's version as you have the same backwards ton arm as my 1978 does.

#805 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You're in. 45s are special and have not retained the peak of vinyl as albums because they don't make any changes any more.
Jukes are great, I have one myself. I'm guessing you'rs is a mid 80's version as you have the same backwards ton arm as my 1978 does.

I have odd musical tastes - there are *very* few artists that I like *all* their songs. Which is why I rarely got LPs - there may be two or three songs I like, and the rest, 'eh'. So in the rare cases where I liked most/all of the songs, I got the LPs. (Several Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac Rumors, Deep Forest (new age), to name a few.)

The juke is a '72 Rowe-AMI MM-6. As far as I know, Rowe/AMI's are the only ones that had the 'backwards' tonearm like that. I love my juke.. I can take it apart and reassemble it blindfolded now.

#806 7 years ago

There's a pic of my quadraphonic equipment in post 626 on page 13 of this thread. I use an Audio-Technica cartridge and a JVC disc demodulator to play these Compatible Discrete 4 (also known as Quadradisc or CD-4) discrete 4-channel quadraphonic LPs (all purchased new back in the '70s and still in great condition).
CD-4 albums 1 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 1 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 2 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 2 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 3 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 3 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 4 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 4 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 5 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 5 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 6 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 6 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 7 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 7 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 8 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 8 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 9 (resized).jpgCD-4 albums 9 (resized).jpg

#807 7 years ago

I use a Technics direct-drive turntable and a Marantz SQ decoder module plugged into my Marantz rear channel preamp to play these SQ matrix 4-channel quadraphonic LPs (all purchased new back in the '70s and still in great condition). Although the Joe Walsh and Bonnie Koloc LPs pictured in the last group are the QS matrix format instead of SQ matrix and require swapping out the SQ module for a QS module.
SQ albums 1 (resized).jpgSQ albums 1 (resized).jpgSQ albums 2 (resized).jpgSQ albums 2 (resized).jpgSQ albums 3 (resized).jpgSQ albums 3 (resized).jpgSQ albums 4 (resized).jpgSQ albums 4 (resized).jpgSQ albums 5 (resized).jpgSQ albums 5 (resized).jpgSQ albums 6 (resized).jpgSQ albums 6 (resized).jpgSQ albums + QS (resized).jpgSQ albums + QS (resized).jpg

#808 7 years ago

Just simple stereo LPs (and not 4-channel recordings like the two groups in my posts above) are these six LPs by the group IF, which could be the best group you never heard of. "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" and "Your City is Falling" from IF2 are terrific. (I also have a seventh IF LP Not Just Another Bunch of Pretty Faces.)
IF 6 of the 7 (resized).jpgIF 6 of the 7 (resized).jpg

#809 7 years ago

But maybe the best (most discrete channel separation) 4-channel recordings are 7-1/2 IPS reel-to-reel tapes like these, played back on my TEAC 3340. The Captain and Me and Tres Hombres sound top notch in quadraphonic.
4-channel reel-to-reel 1 (resized).jpg4-channel reel-to-reel 1 (resized).jpg4-channel reel-to-reel 2 (resized).jpg4-channel reel-to-reel 2 (resized).jpg

#810 7 years ago

How we lusted over the Carly Simon, No Secrets album cover when we were kids.

#811 7 years ago

Enjoying again the great Joe Cocker with a little help from Jimmy Page, Steve Winwood, Chris Stainton and friends.

IMG_0436 (resized).JPGIMG_0436 (resized).JPG

#812 7 years ago

Let's go way back to the record of the month from The Columbia Record Club.

IMG_0437 (resized).JPGIMG_0437 (resized).JPG

#813 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Let's go way back to the record of the month from The Columbia Record Club.

Hah, cool.

I wonder what other unique or 'different' vinyls ya'll have. I don't have pictures handy, but some of my different or unusual ones include -
- A handful of 7" of 'clips' - dated from the 50's or 60's, each record has 'popular' quotes and artists to be used in radio shows. The interesting thing is that each clip is completely separate from the other - so that the radio engineer doesn't have to worry about accidently playing the next 'clip'.
- Several one-sided 7"ers. Until recently I didn't realize these even existed. One side has the song - the other has a blank label "DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE", and the vinyl has a rough pattern in it.
- A copy of Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" with a skip in it - somehow pressed in from the master that way.
- A 'Scholastic' 7" of the entire 1969 Moon Landing radio communications.

#814 7 years ago

I was addicted to Robin Trower in 1974.

FullSizeRender.jpg-2 (resized).jpegFullSizeRender.jpg-2 (resized).jpeg

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have odd musical tastes - there are *very* few artists that I like *all* their songs. Which is why I rarely got LPs - there may be two or three songs I like, and the rest, 'eh'. So in the rare cases where I liked most/all of the songs, I got the LPs. (Several Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac Rumors, Deep Forest (new age), to name a few.)
The juke is a '72 Rowe-AMI MM-6. As far as I know, Rowe/AMI's are the only ones that had the 'backwards' tonearm like that. I love my juke.. I can take it apart and reassemble it blindfolded now.

Yours is just cleaner than mine is which is why I thought it was newer.

The first time I figured out the tone arm was backward - I was like WTF is this!?!?!

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hah, cool.
I wonder what other unique or 'different' vinyls ya'll have.

Kind sir, you get a pass this time but if one more person calls records "vinyls" I'm releasing the hounds!

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Kind sir, you get a pass this time but if one more person calls records "vinyls" I'm releasing the hounds!

attack (resized).jpgattack (resized).jpg

#818 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hah, cool.
I wonder what other unique or 'different' vinyls ya'll have

I still think one of the most "different" albums I have is the Jeff Bridges "Sleeping Tapes". The only album I have never opened. I think they are actually quite good in a strange sort of way...

FullSizeRender.jpg-2-1 (resized).jpegFullSizeRender.jpg-2-1 (resized).jpeg

#819 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I was going to guess a rowe TI-1...I wasnt too far off.

Rowe mostly always seemed to be the Cadillac on the sound quality end.

I always thought it was funny that I have a mid 60s seeburg that was supposed to be so great since it had new solid state amp! But really, 5 or 6 years later...rowe AMI still using tube amps was SOOOO much better (to me).

#820 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I was going to guess a rowe TI-1...I wasnt too far off.
Rowe mostly always seemed to be the Cadillac on the sound quality end.
I always thought it was funny that I have a mid 60s seeburg that was supposed to be so great since it had new solid state amp! But really, 5 or 6 years later...rowe AMI still using tube amps was SOOOO much better (to me).

Yeah. I had my amp rebuilt, but I still have something amiss in it. It sounds great - don't get me wrong - but there's.. I can't put my finger on it. Something amiss with it. When I was 10, my dad bought two MM6's, just like mine there. One didn't work and he told me to go to town on it. I took it apart and reassembled it, and got it back up and working. However, I was a dumbarse at the time, and cut out the tube amp, tossed it, and put in a solid-state amp. The juke was eventually tossed in the dump. Thirty years later, I get this one for $50. Stripped it and cleaned it up, and now I use it to keep music going while in the gameroom. Eventually, I want to find a working stepper and get a wallbox to put in living room upstairs.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

I still think one of the most "different" albums I have is the Jeff Bridges "Sleeping Tapes". The only album I have never opened. I think they are actually quite good in a strange sort of way...

Wow - that's a really funky cover, I like it!

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Sorry, sorry! Long long time habit from when I was a kid and had the juke mentioned above. I'll do better!

#821 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Wow - that's a really funky cover, I like it!

Pull out the sleeve and the eyes close. (:

#822 6 years ago

Picked this up this week to honor the one year anniversary of his death, still can't believe it. They did a nice job on this re-pressing, straight from the analog masters, not just a transfer from a CD.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#823 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Picked this up this week to honor the one year anniversary of his death, still can't believe it. They did a nice job on this re-pressing, straight from the analog masters, not just a transfer from a CD.

I loved Morris Day in the movie. He really set the tone for The Time.

#824 6 years ago

Some of the spins from last nights meet up!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#825 6 years ago

Lol not sure why they upside down

#826 6 years ago

Son of a bitch.... Gimme a drink

#827 6 years ago

Pots are getting real flaky on the old sansui. Time to get me some deoxit.

#828 6 years ago

Love this album!

0430171743 (resized).jpg0430171743 (resized).jpg

#829 6 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Love this album!

Some of the best song transitions ever on this album.

The Dead was the only band I ever lost a job over. Laid out of work to stand in line for tickets.

#830 6 years ago

My restored AR XB. Also own a couple Technics DD"s.

IMG_20170303_212925 (resized).jpgIMG_20170303_212925 (resized).jpg

#831 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

EARTHROCKER !!

#832 6 years ago

Missed out on the one record I wanted at RSD this year. Both shops didn't have a copy so if anyone comes across a copy of The Sundays - Blind please let me know.

#833 6 years ago

I'll double check for you next visit.

#834 6 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Missed out on the one record I wanted at RSD this year. Both shops didn't have a copy so if anyone comes across a copy of The Sundays - Blind please let me know.

i just asked my record store dude..he said he ordeted one but it never came. RSD stuff shows up for the next while tho and he will keep me posted! Haha, if he gets one, ill ship it from Canada if u want!

#835 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Super job on the AR. I had to search for this old pic. I knew I had my old AR somewhere!
Even included the old Dokorder! Memories from the ads on the King Biscuit Flower Hour. Man.. that probably dates me......

DSC_0026 (resized).JPGDSC_0026 (resized).JPG

#836 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I'll double check for you next visit.

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

i just asked my record store dude..he said he ordeted one but it never came. RSD stuff shows up for the next while tho and he will keep me posted! Haha, if he gets one, ill ship it from Canada if u want!

Thanks to both of you. I didn't realize that item are still coming in for RSD.

#837 6 years ago

My current record room. I'm going to run out of space soon.

IMG_5222 (resized).JPGIMG_5222 (resized).JPG

#838 6 years ago

.. Wow.

#839 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I am an admitted hoarder and not to stray too far off topic but... Have you ever thought about how many years it would take you to actually listen to both sides of all of your records? Or how long you go without playing a certain album? When I think about it, I don't really want to own what I couldn't listen to in 1-2 years time. 500ish LP's...

I'm certain I would feel different if it was my life though... I'm just a listener of the music. If it was my occupation, I may approach it differently.

#840 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Looking at your current Pinside avatar, it looks like you refer to your record room as a vault.
But (again looking at your avatar) are all of the records Punk?

#841 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

You are my new hero.

#842 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

You have me beat! Not only in size of collection but also in tidiness. I've got 2 4x4 Expedits and a 5x5, plus a bunch on the floor. I'll have to post some pics when I get a chance.

#843 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Looking at your current Pinside avatar, it looks like you refer to your record room as a vault.
But (again looking at your avatar) are all of the records Punk?

A large portion but nowhere near all of it. Punk (70's and 80's punk and hardcore), Metal, Industrial, alternative, indie rock, and 60's - 90's rock is the stuff I collect.

#844 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am an admitted hoarder and not to stray too far off topic but... Have you ever thought about how many years it would take you to actually listen to both sides of all of your records? Or how long you go without playing a certain album? When I think about it, I don't really want to own what I couldn't listen to in 1-2 years time. 500ish LP's...
I'm certain I would feel different if it was my life though... I'm just a listener of the music. If it was my occupation, I may approach it differently.

I once did some quick and dirty math and I think it came out to well over a year if I didn't sleep. Maybe a year and a half. That was also a few years ago when I did it and the collection increased well over 1000 records since I did that.

#845 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

That is certainly one not in many stacks.

Made me look it up and according to discogs, they only made 200 copies of it.

#846 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Or how long you go without playing a certain album?

About 48 years.... (:

#847 6 years ago

My latest addition came today. Import..Also got the 7" for the juke.

1493765643609 (resized).jpg1493765643609 (resized).jpg

#848 6 years ago

Back on topic: played the Deep Purple and now playing some Al Kooper. I remember keeping it around for some reason and that Al Kooper album really has some unique sounds on it. Especially side 2...

IMG_6072 (resized).JPGIMG_6072 (resized).JPG
IMG_6073 (resized).JPGIMG_6073 (resized).JPG

#849 6 years ago

My pinball specific music by machine - artist, album, song.

Blackout - Scorpions, Blackout, Blackout.

Flash - Flash Fearless, Alice Cooper, I'm Flash.

Gorgar - Helloween, Walls of Jericho, Gorgar.

Record-Gorgar (resized).JPGRecord-Gorgar (resized).JPG

Record-Flash (resized).JPGRecord-Flash (resized).JPG

Record-Blackout (resized).JPGRecord-Blackout (resized).JPG

#850 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Impressive.

I am thinking of getting a set of these to store my LPs. Always liked the shelf look. Thoughts?

https://www.lpbin.com/lpbinmodernblack?gclid=CLqMh-yh1NMCFQKOaQodxa8HFg

Also would like something similar for my 45s, but haven't found anything yet.

There are 13,127 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 263.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.