IMG_6276 (resized).jpeg
20240328_181156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20240328_155557 (resized).jpg
20240328_005758 (resized).jpg
20240328_005745 (resized).jpg
20240328_003752 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 21-41-07 February 1987 - md88cs.pdf (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 21-34-28 Pinside Vinyl Club Sights and sounds Pinside.com (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 21-33-20 Depeche Mode - Violator - Pop Rock - Vinyl - Walmart.com (resized).png
IMG_6275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6273 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6274 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg

There are 12,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 259.
#7601 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

The new to us sx-780 sounds great!
[quoted image]

Sweet score, enjoy it.

#7602 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I am but I got limits…I like being in the couch !!

But I have my TV going through the amp too so it would be a royal pain to have to get up whenever I want to adjust the volume.

With your repair / solder skills, I bet you could rig up a sweet remote Volume unit and run it through the tape loop of a vintage rig if you really wanted to be cool.

#7603 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

“I remember now…”
[quoted image]

“I remember how it started.”

One of the best concerts I have ever been to. It was in 91 or 92 on their Empire tour….they did about a 45 minute set of Empire then took about a 20 minute break and did the entire Mindcrime album…fucking amazing.

#7604 2 years ago

Nice, easy Sunday morning music...

20220306_074727 (resized).jpg20220306_074727 (resized).jpg
#7605 2 years ago
20220306_085835 (resized).jpg20220306_085835 (resized).jpg
#7606 2 years ago

Found this stored in a box. Still had the wrapper on it!

IMG_20220306_190429153.jpgIMG_20220306_190429153.jpg

Went to Ikea to get one of these to keep everything separate from the a/v crap.

IMG_20220306_190508728.jpgIMG_20220306_190508728.jpg

Have plenty of room now.

-Paul

#7607 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

Have plenty of room "FOR" now.

When you fill that up (and you will), check out LPBIN. Great record storage there also.
https://www.lpbin.com/

IMG_3430 (resized).jpegIMG_3430 (resized).jpeg

#7608 2 years ago

Thanks man, got a couple of questions for you. The frames you have on the wall above, do they open at the top? Where did you get them? We're looking for something to hold the record we are listening to on the wall and that looks great.

#7609 2 years ago

Yes. They hinge from the top to display whatever album you'd like.

I thought I got them from Turntable Lab. It's been a bit.

IMG_3431 (resized).jpegIMG_3431 (resized).jpeg

#7610 2 years ago

Very cool! Thank you!

#7611 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Yes. They hinge from the top to display whatever album you'd like.
I thought I got them from Turntable Lab. It's been a bit.
[quoted image]

That’s cool. Looks like it’s called the show and listen frame. I see it on Amazon.

#7612 2 years ago
F0BA09D8-38CA-409F-94A0-7EED6CABF534 (resized).jpegF0BA09D8-38CA-409F-94A0-7EED6CABF534 (resized).jpeg
#7613 2 years ago
5F79F914-A3B4-4F4B-92AC-6A0A5F477ED1 (resized).jpeg5F79F914-A3B4-4F4B-92AC-6A0A5F477ED1 (resized).jpeg
#7614 2 years ago

Bought this for the hell of it. Heresy?

20220310_140014 (resized).jpg20220310_140014 (resized).jpg
#7615 2 years ago

I think we could use a little more Sweet Poontang these days.

IMG_3454 (resized).jpegIMG_3454 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3458 (resized).jpegIMG_3458 (resized).jpeg

#7616 2 years ago

>>Bought this for the hell of it. Heresy?

Not at all. Huge fan of the cassette tape, here. Love finding old stashes of well kept cassettes. Can usually be had for cents rather than dollars.

#7617 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

>>Bought this for the hell of it. Heresy?
Not at all. Huge fan of the cassette tape, here. Love finding old stashes of well kept cassettes. Can usually be had for cents rather than dollars.

I have to say, I have horrible memories of cassettes. Getting chewed up, hiss, trying to blindly fast forward to a song etc. I was ready to never listen to a tape again. But after getting this thing cleaned up and working and throwing in a decent prerecorded tape, it's not bad at all. Could they be better than I remember?

#7618 2 years ago

Any Rammstein fans ........... new album released 29th of April https://smile.amazon.com/Zeit-Amazon-Exclusive-Marbled-LP/dp/B09V38WFFP/ref=sr_1_1

#7619 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I have to say, I have horrible memories of cassettes. Getting chewed up, hiss, trying to blindly fast forward to a song etc. I was ready to never listen to a tape again. But after getting this thing cleaned up and working and throwing in a decent prerecorded tape, it's not bad at all. Could they be better than I remember?

No, they are not better than you remember. Cassettes suck ass.

They had their moment. Sounded fine in the shitbox cars we drove as teenagers. Mix tapes were fun. Best option for mobile music for a decade.

And of course 4-track Tascam was a game changer for us budding bedroom musicians.

But no desire to relive those shitty days. Some things have zero inherent value beyond nostalgia.

#7620 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

No….they do not sound better at all. They sounded decent enough but we liked them because they were compact/portable and the ease of making your own mix tapes. Once PC’s gave people that ability to make their own CD’s became the staple and cassettes were done. CD’s gave better sound and were reliable. Vinyl died mainly because it wasn’t portable and people wanted compact stereo systems. Now with modern technology we can actually compare digital vs analog sound reproduction. They have proven there is NO difference as to one giving better reproduction but it’s really what each person hears and enjoys. For me there is just something magical actually putting on a record and having that connection with physical media…I don’t feel near as connected with digital media. And of course every stereo set up can sound different. There is no right or wrong as long as you enjoy it.

It’s always neat to see old stuff working…it’s amazing there are people that have never seen, touched, or played a record, eight track, cassette, or even a CD.

#7621 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some things have zero inherent value beyond nostalgia.

Whilst I agree with your post.................

I was going to recommend to jason43 to go out and buy a few of the Mobile Fidelity cassettes to try in his player but was shocked to see that a lot of cassettes are selling for more $ then their vinyl counterparts!

#7622 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, they are not better than you remember. Cassettes suck ass.

Shit in, shit out.

With a decent deck and good tape, you didn't have any of the issues you outline save for Tape Noise if your setup was shit.

I have tapes made from R2R Masters that sound nearly perfect after 30 years. Of course, I never played those in a shitty deck so they didn't get damaged.

#7623 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

CD’s gave better sound and were reliable

CDs didn't afford decent sound for well over a decade and certainly not recordable for that long. Most early CDs sound like absolute shit as well.

#7624 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Shit in, shit out.
With a decent deck and good tape, you didn't have any of the issues you outline save for Tape Noise if your setup was shit.
I have tapes made from R2R Masters that sound nearly perfect after 30 years. Of course, I never played those in a shitty deck so they didn't get damaged.

Yeah I’m sorry I didn’t have a $5,000 tape deck when I was in high school, so I could coax my shitty tapes into sounding halfway decent as long as you don't mind some "tape noise" and artwork the size of a bar of soap, along with liner notes that nobody over the age of 25 could read without a magnifying glass.

Neither did anybody else I knew.

Come on dude. Really? Tell us about your sick 8-track rig while you are at it. You know you want to!

Some battles don't seem worth fighting. I can't imagine there's anybody on the planet who really misses cassettes.

Shit like this is why people make fun of audiophiles!

#7625 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

along with liner notes that nobody over the age of 25 could read without a magnifying glass.

LOL - remember how the bigger artist had a lot of liner notes and pictures included in the vinyl version and when it came to putting them into the cassette you had to unfold the paper in the cassette like 10 times to see everything? And to your point, you couldn't read the notes and the pictures were so small you couldn't recognize who was who! AGhhh the good old days!

cassette (resized).PNGcassette (resized).PNG

Only part of your post I disagree with is that a magnifying glass really didn't help!

#7626 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

LOL - remember how the bigger artist had a lot of liner notes and pictures included in the vinyl version and when it came to putting them into the cassette you had to unfold the paper in the cassette like 10 times to see everything? And to your point, you couldn't read the notes and the pictures were so small you couldn't recognize who was who! AGhhh the good old days!
[quoted image]

I had a friend who was so hardcore, when he copied a tape from a friend, he'd cobble together a shitty xeroxed black and white art and fold out notes for it...by the time he was done he could barely stuff it all into the tape case.

#7627 2 years ago

I do have to admit to a moment of weakness on tape nostalgia. I honestly have no idea what possessed me to buy this when this album was released…at least it came with the MP3.

I’ve never actually listened to it and never will but it looks cool on my shelf.

5B1EA828-9214-4CD0-BB92-C5250628403B (resized).jpeg5B1EA828-9214-4CD0-BB92-C5250628403B (resized).jpeg
#7628 2 years ago

While nostalgia is cool for many it’s not practical for most people due to room or lack of use….example is many of us had large collections of DVD/Blu-ray

Quoted from guitarded:

CDs didn't afford decent sound for well over a decade and certainly not recordable for that long. Most early CDs sound like absolute shit as well.

I think most would argue it was still better…..no tape hiss, cracks or pops. The issue you describe is poor source recording/mastering/mix of the original recording and poor media quality it was pressed/recorded on and the varying quality of the CD players. All those affect how good a CD will sound. These same issues are still present today. Even with all the technology we have today I can go by a new repop record and some sound fantastic and others have enough pop/crackle you would think it’s 40 years old and I can play a 40 year old record that has literally no pop/crackle and sounds brand new. A poorly produced record, tape, CD is going to sound bad. And I am not even taking into account the stereo set up being used for playback…I think most can agree a high end or quality audio gear sounds better than cheap low end stuff.

#7629 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I do have to admit to a moment of weakness on tape nostalgia. I honestly have no idea what possessed me to buy this when this album was released…at least it came with the MP3.
I’ve never actually listened to it and never will but it looks cool on my shelf.
[quoted image]

Great album! It’s Priest doing their thing. Loved cassettes in their day but the shrunk artwork and liner notes sucked.

#7630 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Great album! It’s Priest doing their thing. Loved cassettes in their day but the shrunk artwork and liner notes sucked.

Yeah...I have it on both Vinyl and Mp3, both of which sound better than a tape ever would, and I don't have anything to play it on anyway.

I used to borrow my friend's 92 GMC to move games - and it had a tape deck - so my plan was to unleash this thing on it. But she moved down to NC before I had a chance! I did leave a couple Sabbath tapes in the glove box for her.

#7631 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah...I have it on both Vinyl and Mp3, both of which sound better than a tape ever would, and I don't have anything to play it on anyway.
I used to borrow my friend's 92 GMC to move games - and it had a tape deck - so my plan was to unleash this thing on it. But she moved down to NC!

My wife has a small CD case in her RAV4 and it doesn’t even have a CD player LOL! But I was at my friend’s house yesterday and he was repairing a CD jukebox and we needed some CD’s to test it so they came in handy.

#7632 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I think most would argue it was still better…..no tape hiss, cracks or pops. The issue you describe is poor source recording/mastering/mix of the original recording and poor media quality it was pressed/recorded on and the varying quality of the CD players. All those affect how good a CD will sound.

It has always come down to Mastering. But those early CDs were so poorly Mastered the 'improvements' in sound they were claiming? ...it just didn't matter. There are countless examples of releases where entire portions of the mix were dropped to make room for the rest of the mix to fit on the new format.
Santana's Blues for Salvador is a great example. The original CD release is missing almost all of the percussionist. It's just not there.

#7633 2 years ago

Ha. Consider the shit stirred.

#7634 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I’m sorry I didn’t have a $5,000 tape deck when I was in high school, so I could coax my shitty tapes into sounding halfway decent as long as you don't mind some "tape noise" and artwork the size of a bar of soap, along with liner notes that nobody over the age of 25 could read without a magnifying glass.

Neither did anybody else I knew.

Come on dude. Really?

Well, I made due with several 2-300 hundred dollar decks.
Collected and taped tens of thousands of hours of live music, rare LPs and studio sessions.
Failure rate on those recordings was low and the quality of those that remain is still good.

Again, the format was great for what it was. It was not ever archival quality, but the performance was so good that I never made the jump to CD.
Just stuck with LPs and tape.

I didn't graduate to owning high end decks until people were giving them away, essentially.

#7635 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

It has always come down to Mastering. But those early CDs were so poorly Mastered the 'improvements' in sound they were claiming? ...it just didn't matter. There are countless examples of releases where entire portions of the mix were dropped to make room for the rest of the mix to fit on the new format.
Santana's Blues for Salvador is a great example. The original CD release is missing almost all of the percussionist. It's just not there.

Agreed. There were definitely limitations of the amount of data that could fit at that time. There probably was a bit of a learning curve for sound engineers to learn how to get the best transfer of analog masters to digital. But of course technology improved and CD’s became the norm. Fast forward to today and we have eliminated the CD altogether….it’s all digital downloads/cloud/streaming services. It really amazes me that vinyl has survived and made a comeback.

#7636 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Well, I made due with several 2-300 hundred dollar decks.
Collected and taped tens of thousands of hours of live music, rare LPs and studio sessions.
Failure rate on those recordings was low and the quality of those that remain is still good.
Again, the format was great for what it was. It was not ever archival quality, but the performance was so good that I never made the jump to CD.
Just stuck with LPs and tape.
I didn't graduate to owning high end decks until people were giving them away, essentially.

It was certainly great for convinence. And has a kid I thought they sounded better (because I had a shit turntable and tapes didn't pop!)

But thank goodness now I know better!

As a stupid aside...how did we think the sound on VHS tapes was? I had some concert tapes, and a stereo VCR hooked up to some old ass thrift shop amp in college with some technics speakers, and I thought they sounded fantastic!

#7637 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It was certainly great for convinence. And has a kid I thought they sounded better (because I had a shit turntable and tapes didn't pop!)
As a stupid aside...how did we think the sound on VHS tapes was? I had some concert tapes, and a stereo VCR hooked up to some old ass thrift shop amp in college with some technics speakers, and I thought they sounded fantastic!

I never once thought that vhs looked remotely good. Sound was passable at times. Even after buying an SVHS player. I was thrilled when dvd hit the market.

#7638 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We ALL thought we were the shit hooking up the TV to the stereo back in the day LOL! It did sound better than the shitty TV speakers but compared to what we have today there is no comparison on what is better. Sound bars with good sub or tower speakers create all the surround sound you need for most of us. So glad to be done with complicated speaker set ups that are not needed.

#7639 2 years ago

Newish to the club. Some recent pickups I have been enjoying.

FEDB6C0B-F2FE-4741-B781-1841E3B5C8E0 (resized).jpegFEDB6C0B-F2FE-4741-B781-1841E3B5C8E0 (resized).jpeg

Left to right:

Daft Punk: Tron Legacy Soundtrack Mondo release
Genesis: A Trick of the Tail
Metric: Art of Doubt
The Dead Dead’s: tell your girls it’s alright
Wolf Alice: Blue Weekend
Def Leppard: Pyromnia
Hayley Williams: Petals for Armor
He is Legend: White Bat

#7640 2 years ago

Also found this little guy at a flea market for $1 so figured why not.

190F5105-75BB-42AF-AEEC-5F18CB5090EA (resized).jpeg190F5105-75BB-42AF-AEEC-5F18CB5090EA (resized).jpeg9AEB2E55-38FB-4F04-B591-1EBC014F58F2 (resized).jpeg9AEB2E55-38FB-4F04-B591-1EBC014F58F2 (resized).jpeg
#7641 2 years ago

Something old and something new just arrived

64FEE7AA-9BC0-4E8D-BF7E-3EB9ABE439FF (resized).jpeg64FEE7AA-9BC0-4E8D-BF7E-3EB9ABE439FF (resized).jpeg
#7642 2 years ago

My ol 97 f150 still has a cassette deck in it. I picked up a box of tapes at a yard sale and wanted to relive the shitty sound quality I remember. Definitely didn't disappoint. Sounded almost mono.

#7643 2 years ago

Disturbed Saturday.

843F4C9C-469C-457A-B867-B88381CFFDE9 (resized).jpeg843F4C9C-469C-457A-B867-B88381CFFDE9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3489 (resized).jpegIMG_3489 (resized).jpeg

#7644 2 years ago

Cheers everyone, happy Saturday.

#7645 2 years ago

First music I ever remember buying in a store was GNR Appetite and INXS Kick on cassette. Wouldn’t mind having them again for nostalgia sake. Tape hiss and all.

Semi-related - I still watch stuff on VHS all the time. It without fail looks awful every time... but there’s a certain charm to it. My Columbia House VHS collections are my favorite. Fully series Twilight Zone, full series Star Trek, and full series Star Trek Next Generation. I got them for next to nothing... can’t imagine what some poor sucker paid by mail subscription back in the day.

#7646 2 years ago

Some of today's playlist.

IMG_20220313_144804949.jpgIMG_20220313_144804949.jpg

#7647 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

First music I ever remember buying in a store was GNR Appetite and INXS Kick on cassette. Wouldn’t mind having them again for nostalgia sake. Tape hiss and all.
Semi-related - I still watch stuff on VHS all the time. It without fail looks awful every time... but there’s a certain charm to it. My Columbia House VHS collections are my favorite. Fully series Twilight Zone, full series Star Trek, and full series Star Trek Next Generation. I got them for next to nothing... can’t imagine what some poor sucker paid by mail subscription back in the day.

Those Star Trek tapes were like $20 a fuckin episode.

#7648 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

Some of today's playlist.
[quoted image]

Nice I picked up that GotG album the other day. I like it.

I am listening to this today. Love this album.

0F4BEA3E-F2C4-494E-B8CB-CAF987216937 (resized).jpeg0F4BEA3E-F2C4-494E-B8CB-CAF987216937 (resized).jpeg
#7649 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Those Star Trek tapes were like $20 a fuckin episode.

I know. I guess you needed to be a big fan!

60AA85B8-83CC-4591-A381-739DEB7E73D8 (resized).jpeg60AA85B8-83CC-4591-A381-739DEB7E73D8 (resized).jpeg

#7650 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Nice I picked up that GotG album the other day. I like it.
I am listening to this today. Love this album. [quoted image]

Yes, so good! Inspired me to dig it out. Love the artwork on it too.

C229DB4D-2B36-421A-9BDE-BD3A340460A4 (resized).jpegC229DB4D-2B36-421A-9BDE-BD3A340460A4 (resized).jpeg
There are 12,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-collect-vinyl/page/153?hl=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.