(Topic ID: 120179)

Anyone care to scan X-files manual as pdf?

By Edenecho

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

$_57.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Greetings,

I am in need of the Sega X-files manual. I know it has been asked before, without a full reply.
The manual is not uploaded at IPDB, is this because no one has bothered scanning and uploading it?

Star Wars Trilogy, released the same year, has a manual online, so it cant be any legal issue id assume?

Anyways, if someone having the manual want to scan it and send(either as a single pdf or multiple, I can stitch them together myself) Id be more than willing to give a small or larger donation in return

Cheers!
Morten

#2 4 years ago

ME TOO.... I WOULD SEND TEN BUUCKS SOMEONES WAY FOR THEIR TROUBLE...

#3 4 years ago

If nobody does this by the weekend, I'll give it a go.

Have to dig out the scanner first though... haven't used it in years.

#4 4 years ago

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $20.
If a couple of your folks split the price, it would be worth scanning it.
I don't know what the copyrights are on these though.

ebay.com link » X Files Pinball Game Full Service Repair Operations Manual Troubleshooting

$_57.jpg

#5 4 years ago

Haha. That would be awesome JeffF
Then we can see if someone else managed it before the weekend, if not Ill PM you.

#6 4 years ago

I also posted over on the KLOV to see if anybody had a copy to share. If not, Saturday morning coffee and scanning sounds like a plan.

#7 4 years ago

THAT WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $20.
If a couple of your folks split the price, it would be worth scanning it.
I don't know what the copyrights are on these though.
ebay.com link ยป X Files Pinball Game Full Service Repair Operations Manual Troubleshooting
$_57.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I have seen it, the postage to Norway is so goddamn expensive, is the reason i did not buy it myself. also I dont know how the schematics are with it not being original. Wasted money on a non-original JP manual where the schematics was to low resolution,so I ended up using the digital IPDB version.

#9 4 years ago

I have one that I can convert to a pdf file, but I do not have it with me today at work. I am going to the Louisville gaming show tomorrow (Sunday) then getting on a plane to Las Vegas for a week. I will be able to scan this to a pdf on Mon the 16th ( I have a printer at work that can scan double sides and put it all together as a book in pdf form in less than a min) if no one else is able to share it before then. Just let me know

#10 4 years ago

All I had when I had the game was a photocopy from a preliminary manual.
It did help me though.

#11 4 years ago

Don't forget to send a copy to Jay at IPDB so he can send it through his OCR and put it up at IPDB.

#12 4 years ago

I'll take a copy if anyone finds it, thanks.

#13 4 years ago

I did start scanning this today. Had an issue with re-installing the scanner but I finally straightened it out early this evening.

I have been manually scanning each page for the past 45 minutes while enjoying a couple beers. I'd say I'm about 1/3 done. If someone else posts a copy before I finish... no problem... I'll just have another beer.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

I did start scanning this today. Had an issue with re-installing the scanner but I finally straightened it out early this evening.
I have been manually scanning each page for the past 45 minutes while enjoying a couple beers. I'd say I'm about 1/3 done. If someone else posts a copy before I finish... no problem... I'll just have another beer.

Send me the book. I can use high end office equipment. It would take me 30 seconds to scan it all into a high res multi page PDF. I can do the 11x17 pages double sided in one pass.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Send me the book. I can use high end office equipment. It would take me 30 seconds to scan it all into a high res multi page PDF. I can do the 11x17 pages double sided in one pass.

Heh... wish I would have seen this yesterday.

Here's my attempt at it...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Dud6paVc_UYXVyc1lPTHAtN00/view?usp=sharing
(changed link to less compressed version, see my post below...)

If it turns out people think it's crap then I'll send it your way. The file is pretty large but maybe someone can optimize it? I can also upload the raw scans for each page if someone else wants to try to put it together as a smaller .pdf.

#16 4 years ago

looks great to me. thanks for doing this. I don't even own xfiles, but store away manual scans for rainy days or when people need them.
added to the collection.

#17 4 years ago

Hmmm... I just viewed the copy I uploaded and the schematics pages look like they got a bit more pixelated than I thought. I'll upload a different version where I didn't do any extra compression. I will add the new link once it's done uploading.

[EDIT]
Here's the much less compressed version...

#18 4 years ago

If anyone needs a schematic or manual scanned i am happy to help. I can scan and return. Even wide format (within reason). I could probably even scan a 5 foot long ladder diagram into a PDF.

Quoted from JeffF:

Heh... wish I would have seen this yesterday.
Here's my attempt at it...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Dud6paVc_UTXpHZkFyYzVic3c/view?usp=sharing
If it turns out people think it's crap then I'll send it your way. The file is pretty large but maybe someone can optimize it? I can also upload the raw scans for each page if someone else wants to try to put it together as a smaller .pdf.

Ideally a manual and schematic you want to scan in a pure black and white, 300 dpi. Everything is line drawings or text for the most part. Be careful on the colored paper pages when they are in sega books. The green, blue, pink, sheets can be hard to scan without picking up the background.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Ideally a manual and schematic you want to scan in a pure black and white, 300 dpi. Everything is line drawings or text for the most part. Be careful on the colored paper pages when they are in sega books. The green, blue, pink, sheets can be hard to scan without picking up the background.

I tried black and white(1 bit), 300dpi and it looked horrible on a bunch of pages so I settled on gray scale(8-bit), 300dpi.

With today's internet speeds I figure 100Mb file is nothing really and if it makes the schematics more readable then good. There are soo many manuals online that have hard to read/impossible to read pages. It's great they were scanned but sometimes you still need a real manual to see what is what.

Thanks a lot for the offer too! If people don't care for this version of the manual then I'll send it your way this week.

#20 4 years ago

Thanks for making it available. THe more information the better. I want to help update digital files. There are a lot of poor manual scans out there.

I did this firepower manual.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/856/Williams_1980_Firepower_Schematics_paginated_from_manual_dated_March_1980.pdf

and this baywatch (5 years back or so, better equip now).
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2848/Baywatch_Manual.pdf

#21 4 years ago

Thanks for doing the manual!
Great quality.

I just went to the ipdb and downloaded one of my last missing files (Godzilla).
Godzilla could do with an update, very bad quality.
Schematics are impossible to read.
Hint, hint......

#22 4 years ago

Nice thanks!

#23 4 years ago

Here's a 1-bit(B&W) copy that's only 34Mb in size in case someone wants it...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Dud6paVc_UM2tVQ3Vpall1Vk0/view?usp=sharing

And here's the original 8-bit copy that's 125Mb in size...

I like the 8-bit copy better for reading the schematics but the B&W version is decent enough I guess.

#24 4 years ago

Thanks Jeff for making these available!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Clinton, NJ
$ 50.00
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside