(Topic ID: 248143)

Anyone As Excited As I am for New TOOL?

By lapean111

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190726_163557 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190726_154906 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190726_154912 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190726_154614 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider floyd1977.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 4 years ago

So I'm finally sitting down and listening to the new album. I was busy moving all last weekend so didn't get a chance to listen even though I had the deluxe LCD/CD edition. I'm a big fan of this band, but I'll just say that this album, to me, on first listen, is a good, heavy, background track. I'd definitely play it while trying to get some shit done around the house. In my opinion, they kind of left off where 10,000 Days left off, but I'm not sure why it took 13 years to release.

That being said, I saw them in May in Chicago, and it was an amazing concert. I was impressed by Danny Carey and especially Justin Chancellor. Maynard seems like he doesn't want to be seen, but that's ok.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

This album feels very different from anything they've done. I say "feels" because there is a lot of familiar with this release. They've brought all of their usual rhythms and riffs but what really has stuck out for me is Danny Carey's drumming on this album... it's more musical. He has his drums tuned distinctly, you're not just getting thuds and cracks (although there is plenty of that)... loads of rapid fire taps on "musical" percussive pads really adds to the melody of these songs (Pneuma). Jone's guitar is clean and aggressive (Tempest)... I swear his Les Paul sounds like a Strat on this album.... I'm feeling like I hear some James Young in there somewhere (CullingVoices). A lot of the guitar has an old school 70s hard rock feel to it to me. It may be just the way its produced... its certainly very tight and clean. Keyboards are new... gives the album a soundtrack feel... I like this. Chancellor's bass has really become the glue of the band in my opinion. As always I really think his synth bass makes the tool sound. Maynard's voice is recorded with less mixing effects on this one. There are some ... but I think its actually a smart move on his part. Reality is that age gets to the vocal chords... and the more you try to dress it up in production you end up killing your ability to perform live. So you're not getting that Maynard scream... anywhere on this album. It feels more intimate, close and in front of the instruments. It's actually pretty cool
    Love this album, its a bit gentler than past Tool albums. It's more cohesive than 10,000 days for sure. Its impossible not to compare new vs. old, especially with so much time passing between the last release of 10,000 days. That being said, of all the tracks on Fear Inoculum Tempest has a genuine old-school Tool sound ... it sounds like it came right off of Opiate. But overall, most of this album genuinely feels new.....ish.
    Tool remains my favorite modern band, they have solidly been in that spot for me for as long as they have been around, so objectivity for me... well its not easy. For the longest time, Lateralus has been my favorite album. A few years ago I changed my opinion on that and Aenima moved to the top of the list for me. Right now... this one is somewhere between Lateraus and Aenima... probably behind Lateralus. 10,000 days although it has some killer tracks sits behind them. They are all great so putting them in order is kind of pointless for me... but if I had to at the moment thats where this one sits... that may change.

I guess somewhere in my above comments I should've used the word "ambient". Their musicianship is great as always, but there's just not a lot going on on this album for me, but I'll give it a few more listens.

#70 4 years ago

I should mention that the Tool mod on TWD is essential for me. I couldn't imagine going back.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider floyd1977.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-as-excited-as-i-am-for-new-tool?tu=floyd1977 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.