(Topic ID: 248143)

Anyone As Excited As I am for New TOOL?

By lapean111

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190726_163557 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190726_154906 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190726_154912 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190726_154614 (resized).jpg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

New album coming Aug 30th. First in 13 years!

I caught one of their shows on the warmup leg in Des Moines, and they played 2 new songs. WOW. Both are great, can't wait to hear this new album.

IMG_20190726_154614 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_154614 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

For sure.... I have been waiting on this one far too long. I have seen them 11 times, and they never fail to disappoint. Looking forward to it! While they are all great musicians, Danny Carey is an absolute beast.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

For sure.... I have been waiting on this one far too long. I have seen them 11 times, and they never fail to disappoint. Looking forward to it!

I've only seen them 4 times, but they blow my mind everytime! Missing the poster for the show in 2002 in Saint Paul, but have the other 3. The one from 2017 is signed too!

IMG_20190726_154906 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_154906 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_154912 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_154912 (resized).jpg
    #4 4 years ago

Yeah! I’ve seen them twice. Great band.

#5 4 years ago

I'll give it a shot but didn't care much aboot the last 2.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh man, hard disagree here. Lateralus is my favorite album of all time.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Feel the same. Its too drawn out and slow for me now. I long for Aenema days.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from lapean111:

I've only seen them 4 times, but they blow my mind everytime! Missing the poster for the show in 2002 in Saint Paul, but have the other 3. The one from 2017 is signed too![quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice. Their artwork is fantastic, as is their lightwork at their shows..... Just a total experience top to bottom.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Super excited, but am not thrilled with Descending or Invincible. Maybe they'll grow on me. In the meantime, check out this Tool-related youtube link for one of my favorite gameroom channels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ysCPt-B3V6qf6T6bBIpQA

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

You need to be smoking way more pot.

#11 4 years ago

Fuck yeah! I hope it’s greet and hope to see them on tour soon, they put on a great show. Red Rocks please!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Super excited, but am not thrilled with Descending or Invincible. Maybe they'll grow on me. In the meantime, check out this Tool-related youtube channel for one of my favorite gameroom channels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ysCPt-B3V6qf6T6bBIpQA

The recordings don't do them justice. Live they are AMAZING.

Most likely one will be released as a single on monday.

#13 4 years ago

I must be in the minority.... While I love all of their early work, I thought 10,000 days was fantastic. As far as long and drawn out goes, I listen to a lot of Dream Theater and Rush, so I am used to a song hitting the 15 minute mark on occasion.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from lapean111:

You need to be smoking way more pot.

I have King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard for those times.

#15 4 years ago

Just humor me and give it a shot with Lateralus. Preferably in a nice set of headphones. Mindblowing.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I must be in the minority.... While I love all of their early work, I thought 10,000 days was fantastic. As far as long and drawn out goes, I listen to a lot of Dream Theater and Rush, so I am used to a song hitting the 15 minute mark on occasion.

10000% agree. The more progressive they get, the more I love it. POLYRYTHM!!!

#17 4 years ago

I have a coworker who worships that band..... They make what, like 15 albums a year?

#18 4 years ago

Also, at the May date in Des Moines, Maynard sounded better vocally then he has in YEARS.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from lapean111:

Also, at the May date in Des Moines, Maynard sounded better vocally then he has in YEARS.

I think he has sounded better the last couple of shows I have seen as well. They have blended their sound a lot more throughout the years, and he has sort of morphed into an instrument, and not a lead singer in front of a band. My only knock on pretty much all of their shows I have seen is the clarity of his voice in relation to the clarity on the albums, but honestly, I don't listen to lyrics at all, and it has never bothered me live. The tone is very good, and the mix is as well.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

For sure.... I have been waiting on this one far too long. I have seen them 11 times, and they never fail to disappoint. Looking forward to it! While they are all great musicians, Danny Carey is an absolute beast.

You meant "never fail to be mind blowing"

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I think he has sounded better the last couple of shows I have seen as well. They have blended their sound a lot more throughout the years, and he has sort of morphed into an instrument, and not a lead singer in front of a band. My only knock on pretty much all of their shows I have seen is the clarity of his voice in relation to the clarity on the albums, but honestly, I don't listen to lyrics at all, and it has never bothered me live. The tone is very good, and the mix is as well.

Oh man, the lyrics. I recommend learning the lyrics. Also while high.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have a coworker who worships that band..... They make what, like 15 albums a year?

In 2017 they made 8 I think? Been slower since then. This year they put out a really slow album and then they are releasing a thrash album in august. I like the prog-ness of them without it getting too slow and out of my attention span.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from lapean111:

Oh man, the lyrics. I recommend learning the lyrics. Also while high.

I have never listed to lyrics to any song ever..... It is really weird, I tend to gravitate towards music where the singers voice makes a great instrument (Probably why I hate country- I know the lyrics are great, but the music isn't).

If you haven't seen this already, this is one of my favorite Danny Carey clips of all time...... he was at a fundraiser and found out the band was playing a tool song and jumped up to play with them...... Incredible guy....

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have never listed to lyrics to any song ever..... It is really weird, I tend to gravitate towards music where the singers voice makes a great instrument (Probably why I hate country- I know the lyrics are great, but the music isn't).
    If you haven't seen this already, this is one of my favorite Danny Carey clips of all time...... he was at a fundraiser and found out the band was playing a tool song and jumped up to play with them...... Incredible guy....

Saw this! So great!

If you are ever in LA, Danny plays the Baked Potato at least once a month with different groups. Great way to get to chat with him, and see him in a smaller (TINY) venue.

https://www.thebakedpotato.com/

#26 4 years ago

In 2017 they made 8 I think? Been slower since then. This year they put out a really slow album and then they are releasing a thrash album in august. I like the prog-ness of them without it getting too slow and out of my attention span.

Wasn't their first album made on an Ipod in one take, or something crazy like that?

#27 4 years ago

I like the prog-ness of them without it getting too slow and out of my attention span

If you haven't done so, you owe it to yourself to listen to super early year Genesis stuff. I would have suggested King Crimson, but they do have some stuff that tends to go long. The early Genesis has a couple of longer titles, but the shorter stuff is just really good.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Wasn't their first album made on an Ipod in one take, or something crazy like that?

I suppose I am not a super fan. No idea.

#29 4 years ago

Oh man, King Crimson. Discipline title track is perfection.

#30 4 years ago

Any snippets of new songs out? They usually do not go the digital route right? Will this be the first physical copy I buy in ages?

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

Any snippets of new songs out? They usually do not go the digital route right? Will this be the first physical copy I buy in ages?

Just boots right now. Single most likely Monday, and streaming soon. YouTube started taking down stuff, and Spotify updated their profile, so streaming is imminent.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

Just concert clips of the two new songs (that I am aware of). The CDs are worth buying just for the artwork alone. I rip all mine to FLAC.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

If you haven't done so, you owe it to yourself to listen to super early year Genesis stuff. I would have suggested King Crimson, but they do have some stuff that tends to go long. The early Genesis has a couple of longer titles, but the shorter stuff is just really good.

Ive listened to KC a bit, they come up in my spotify from time to time. I dig it.

Got into this sick drum beat in the Sir Lord Baltimore track “kingdom come”. KC made me think of that for some reason.

#34 4 years ago
    IMG_20190726_163557 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_163557 (resized).jpg
    #35 4 years ago

"Cause I'm praying for rain
    I'm praying for tidal waves
    I want to see the ground give way
    I want to watch it all go down
    Mom, please flush it all away
    I want to see it go right down
    I want to watch it go right in
    Watch you flush it all away"

Aenema is one of my top 10 albums to listen to when I'm feeling like fuck the world

Maynard is a lyrical genius. Always loved how he could make such hateful music sound so beautiful...

Hope we get a few more songs worthy to call classics some day with this new album. Very excited.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

"Cause I'm praying for rain
    I'm praying for tidal waves
    I want to see the ground give way
    I want to watch it all go down
    Mom, please flush it all away
    I want to see it go right down
    I want to watch it go right in
    Watch you flush it all away"
    Aenema is one of my top 10 albums to listen to when I'm feeling like fuck the world
    Maynard is a lyrical genius. Always loved how he could make such hateful music sound so beautiful...
    Hope we get a few more songs worthy to call classics some day with this new album. Very excited.

Try Lateralus. Way more positive. Spiritual growth all around.

#37 4 years ago

And following our will and wind
    We may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end
    And may just go where no one's been.
    SPIRAL OUT, KEEP GOING!

#38 4 years ago

Are they still hell bent on anti-digital distribution? I can think of no other band that makes it so difficult to listen to their music, especially now when everything is digitally available via download or steaming services. CDs have gone the way of the dinosaur. They were never available on iTunes. Their catalog is not on Spotify. I understand their stance back in the 90's when file sharing sites were ripping off artists, but it's not like that anymore. Perhaps I am wrong on this, but all I listen to is Spotify & vinyl now.

That said I do have Undertow on 180g vinyl, which is an epic album to say the least. I suppose I need to look harder for more of their releases.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Are they still hell bent on anti-digital distribution? I can think of no other band that makes it so difficult to listen to their music, especially now when everything is digitally available via download or steaming services. CDs have gone the way of the dinosaur. They were never available on iTunes. Their catalog is not on Spotify. I understand their stance back in the 90's when file sharing sites were ripping off artists, but it's not like that anymore. Perhaps I am wrong on this, but all I listen to is Spotify & vinyl now.
    That said I do have Undertow on 180g vinyl, which is an epic album to say the least. I suppose I need to look harder for more of their releases.

No, they are streaming with this release. Full library will be streaming SOON. Think this was a label thing, not necessarily a them thing.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from lapean111:

No, they are streaming with this release. Full library will be streaming SOON. Think this was a label thing, not necessarily a them thing.

Good to hear. Main reason i dont listen to them much....no spotify.

#41 4 years ago

.. chasing a trail of smoke and reason ...

#42 4 years ago

Full disclosure...I mis-read the title of this post and thought it said "Anyone as excited as I am for a new tool" and wondered what the new tool was that you purchased. (Some might say that makes me a tool, but that's a story for another day.) Instead, I found a great band that I hadn't heard of before, and now have an album release to look forward to on August 30. Thanks lapean111 for sharing - it is a great sound!!!

#43 4 years ago

Simply can’t wait for this release.

I swear I’ve listened to those live versions of Descending and Invincible hundreds of times at this point.

#45 4 years ago

I listened to the two new tracks and wasn't very impressed. They're okay but they need a few singles on the album or else.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Full disclosure...I mis-read the title of this post and thought it said "Anyone as excited as I am for a new tool" and wondered what the new tool was that you purchased. (Some might say that makes me a tool, but that's a story for another day.) Instead, I found a great band that I hadn't heard of before, and now have an album release to look forward to on August 30. Thanks lapean111 for sharing - it is a great sound!!!

Legitimately excited for your upcoming journey!

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Anonymouse:

I listened to the two new tracks and wasn't very impressed. They're okay but they need a few singles on the album or else.

Smoke way more pot.

#48 4 years ago

Well continue to be bored and lame then.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Simply can’t wait for this release.
    I swear I’ve listened to those live versions of Descending and Invincible hundreds of times at this point.

Yessssss

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from lapean111:

Well continue to be bored and lame then.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0 (resized).jpegScreen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-as-excited-as-i-am-for-new-tool?hl=desertpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.