(Topic ID: 214964)

Anyone in the Raleigh Durham area? (New Years thread revive)

By Mando

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by robertmee
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8EA571F3-88C0-4D23-A480-C0D787697596 (resized).jpeg
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Took the kid Monday....played TNA. Totally unimpressed. Not sure what all the hype was on this one.

I agree. In my opinion, the playfield feels too empty. There is plenty of space where they could have added more shots. I do however feel that they may have designed the same with much simplicity on purpose; I think that they were going for retro feel, such as an 80's solid state machine. robertmee

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

I agree. In my opinion, the playfield feels too empty. There is plenty of space where they could have added more shots. I do however feel that they may have designed the same with much simplicity on purpose; I think that they were going for retro feel, such as an 80's solid state machine. robertmee

I suppose....the drop target locks were kind of cool, and the leds nice, but like you said, it felt sparce. I would prefer almost all system 11 games from the era over TNA and pocket a few thousand. And it's no knock against Spooky...I own two of their games.

#53 5 years ago

Somebody has a TNA for sale on pinside for 9k ? You could get a room full of system 11's for that. The system 11's would also have ramps.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

Somebody has a TNA for sale on pinside for 9k ? You could get a room full of system 11's for that. The system 11's would also have ramps.

I've got 4 system 11's and still under 8K. Your old Mousin' Around! is still working great wolfy

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

I was there last Friday; it looks like I missed both of you guys! Iron Maiden was my favorite game that I got to play at my last visit to Boxcar. What was your favorite? bam10 mandelbloom

My wife and I were there mainly to play iron Maiden which we liked and guardians which we didnt like as much. She wasn't really in the mood to spend all day there. I did get to put my initials on maiden. Maybe going to have one in our future.

#56 5 years ago

AVH7401 proably maiden but I own a pro I sorta enjoyed TNA because I don’t get to play it much but the upper flipper was broken . I love Star Wars too but own that as well

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from bam10:

My wife and I were there mainly to play iron Maiden which we liked and guardians which we didnt like as much. She wasn't really in the mood to spend all day there. I did get to put my initials on maiden. Maybe going to have one in our future.

I didn't enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy, either. bam10

1 month later
    #58 5 years ago

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but I thought that this thread would be a good place to ask this question: does anyone one know where you can compete in tournaments in Raleigh? Are there any other pinball-related events in the Raleigh and Durham area besides tournaments, as well?

#59 5 years ago

Boxcar should have a monthly selfie tournament. I know the one in Greensboro does so I’m assuming the Raleigh one does as well.

Abari in Charlotte has tournaments as well but that’s a bit of a hike for from R/D.

#60 5 years ago

Boxcar and Level Up in Raleigh, Quarterhorse in Durham (and I think a Boxcar is coming there, too)

2 months later
    #61 5 years ago

Anyone here going to DeadPool launch party tonight?

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Anyone here going to DeadPool launch party tonight?

Can't make it, out of town.

The new Boxcar in Durham should be hopefully opening in a month or two. Lots of machines are getting ready for the new location.

1 month later
    #63 5 years ago

Hi guys, finally restarting my collection after moving here.
    First one to arrive was a SW Premium, it does require the force to play well... 2 weeks with it and could not blow up the death star yet!

#64 5 years ago

Hi all, I just found this thread and also am transplanting down to the Triangle. Hopefully my stuff makes it down in mostly the same condition as it leaves. I'm going to try to check out the Winston-Salem auction this weekend and/or Feb, and have a NIB TNA en route as well. Looking forward to meeting some locals.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from MoreBeer:

Hi all, I just found this thread and also am transplanting down to the Triangle. Hopefully my stuff makes it down in mostly the same condition as it leaves. I'm going to try to check out the Winston-Salem auction this weekend and/or Feb, and have a NIB TNA en route as well. Looking forward to meeting some locals.

Welcome....the WS auction is fun but the last few years have been hit or miss. However, the one before xmas (this weekend) usually has the most pins. I've been going for 15 years, and it's more about just catching up with friends anymore...or a good place to swap in the parking lot. The buy backs (sellers bidding on their own game) is unchecked so if you can find a seasoned participant from pinside there, let them point out the obvious shills. BlackRose (Mark) is always there and he's a good contact to help you out. Other than that, take an extension cord and enjoy.

2 weeks later
    #66 5 years ago

Yes been here a while now still need to meet you guys .. building a house with a basement.

2 weeks later
    #67 5 years ago

Hey everyone we had some talk of a meetup here , reviving this to see if we can get that going. We could do it at one of the locations or someone can host . I probably could though I'd like to save it for later this year when I have the basement

I have really sort of been in a pinball funk since I moved just a lot going on between work , moving , new home etc.. Would like to make some new pinhead friends as I miss the ones I had in Florida not many of us oddballs who buy buy giant machines and put them in our homes hahah !

Been craving playing some older stuff system 11 , EMs etc...

So sorta a New Years resolution to get back into it !! Happy New Year!

#68 5 years ago

Id love to meet up. Im in North Raleigh. Only been in the hobby for 2 years. My friends don't share my love for playing pinball so meeting some fellow pinheads would be nice. I currently have a Jurassic Park and a new AFMr LE. Was at Boxcar this past Sunday playing the new Pirates of the Caribbean, it is awesome. hopefully we can make this meet up happen. Just curious what ages everyone is..? 37 here.

#69 5 years ago

Oh cool thy have a pirates now ? I am going to have to go, 40 here .

#70 5 years ago

Yeah it’s a collectors edition with the black pearl ship in a bottle topper. They also have a Beatles. It’s ok. Couldn’t hear the music so it kinda killed it for me. PM me if anyone on here is serious about getting together.

#71 5 years ago

Anyone who’d like to have a meet up at Boxcar or anywhere else, please send me a message!

2 weeks later
    #72 5 years ago

Sorry missed your reply but I’ll PM you

#73 5 years ago

There's still a possibility that I can host a meetup. Right now, I'm getting all my pins back to 100% after a couple of years neglect due to hectic travel schedule. We have a large backyard with inground pool, so I'm debating on whether to do a well rounded get together, for pinheads, spouses and children, where the latter can enjoy the yard and pool if they're not into pinball. If I do this, then would make sense to do so in the late Spring/Early Summer time frame. If it's just pinball, and limited to players, then we could do it indoors. Still debating.......

Do most of you have spouses that would want to attend, or are all you single pin nerds

#74 5 years ago

I have a spouse, but she usually avoids hanging out with us pinball nerds I will totally host an event once my game room is up in the new house. Ideally I will like to have it setup the way I want with a bar and projector before I do but we will see all you guys probably care about is the pinball. Hopefully moving in the spring.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Where did you get the information of Boxcar putting in a CE Pirates? robotronjohn

Somehow I missed this many month's ago. I know things because I am friends with the route guys who own the boxcar pinball machines.

Munsters LE next month.. Launch party tentative Feb 27.

#76 5 years ago

I can’t believe they route Games like pirates CE!!

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotronjohn:

Somehow I missed this many month's ago. I know things because I am friends with the route guys who own the boxcar pinball machines.
    Munsters LE next month.. Launch party tentative Feb 27.

Thank you for responding. I got a chance to play the machine last weekend; Pirates of the Caribbean is probably one of my top three pinball machines now! robotronjohn

#78 5 years ago

I'm in Greensboro and also pretty new to the area. Have two little kids so don't get out much. I'm going to try to make it to the next auction but from the looks of the last one won't be buying anything.

1 month later
    #79 5 years ago

Went to BC Raleigh with my son last night......very cool place! Played some older vids from my youth Punchout, burger time, Track and field etc....

Was really excited to play Iron Maiden really wish I could hear the music.....loooong time IM fan, was fun not one I would drop $8k plus on.

Played guardians of the galaxy......seemed a little easy scored 370million on first game. Just keep getting the balls locked in groots mouth and start multi ball.

Really fun place had a lot of nice new pins to play gets REALLY crowded about 8p on a Saturday night

#80 5 years ago

Yea, BC Raleigh gets very crowded on Saturday and Sunday starting after 4 PM. BC Durham just set up their Munsters LE! Raleigh should have one setup some time this week!

#81 5 years ago

If someone organizes a Boxcar Pinside meet count me in.

Either location

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Qman97:

Went to BC Raleigh with my son last night......very cool place! Played some older vids from my youth Punchout, burger time, Track and field etc....
    Was really excited to play Iron Maiden really wish I could hear the music.....loooong time IM fan, was fun not one I would drop $8k plus on.
    Played guardians of the galaxy......seemed a little easy scored 370million on first game. Just keep getting the balls locked in groots mouth and start multi ball.
    Really fun place had a lot of nice new pins to play gets REALLY crowded about 8p on a Saturday night

Boxcar is great! I go with my father on Saturday nights, too, and it does get very crowded. The pinball machines are loud enough to be heard when not too many people are there. My only complaint is that they removed Twilight Zone, which is my favorite pinball machine. Also, I like your profile picture, by the way.
    Qman97

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Boxcar is great! I go with my father on Saturday nights, too, and it does get very crowded. The pinball machines are loud enough to be heard when not too many people are there. My only complaint is that they removed Twilight Zone, which is my favorite pinball machine. Also, I like your profile picture, by the way.
    qman97

TZ is a great machine would love to see/play Tommy once

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Qman97:

They have a Tommy at Quarter Horse in Durham.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

qman97

I think they had to take TZ out to fix it and then put it over at the Durham location.

Boxcar Raleigh got Munsters yesterday, going to stop in this afternoon to check it out!

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Qman97:

Quoted from wfumed2:

They have a Tommy at Quarter Horse in Durham.

I played Tommy at the Quarter Horse; I did not really get into it. I have only been to the Quarter Horse once. I went on a Friday evening at around 6 PM and there were only three other people in the bar besides me. They have a decent selection of machines at best, in my opinion. But finding somewhere to play pinball is fun and I always give a machine a chance when I find one. Qman97

2 months later
    #87 4 years ago

Longshot, but does anyone know if there's anywhere locally-ish one could buy glass (or have any for sale)? I need a couple of sheets and am about to pull the trigger on a PBL order, but the shipping cost is a bummer.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

Longshot, but does anyone know if there's anywhere locally-ish one could buy glass (or have any for sale)? I need a couple of sheets and am about to pull the trigger on a PBL order, but the shipping cost is a bummer.

There was a place in Apex that would make them, I think it was called Action Glass. Not sure if they are in business anymore, you could always call a few glass places around. I'm interested if they aren't too expensive, some of mine are chipped and scratched.

#89 4 years ago

Marco had a deal on buying two sheets. Shipping wasn't to bad

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from CollinT:

There was a place in Apex that would make them, I think it was called Action Glass. Not sure if they are in business anymore, you could always call a few glass places around. I'm interested if they aren't too expensive, some of mine are chipped and scratched.

Honestly it hadn't occurred to me to get it cut locally. I'll call a few places and see.

Quoted from PinballTilt:

Marco had a deal on buying two sheets. Shipping wasn't to bad

Oddly it seems like PBL is a better deal $80 for two, $25 shipping.

#91 4 years ago

Second the local option. I haven't done pin glass, but did arcade glass local for a decent price. Maybe 25 bucks or so. Just make sure to get tempered.

Side note, we made it out to Boxcar in Durham last night. They have a nice lineup. I played Oktoberfest for the first time. That ramp shot from the upper flipper is tough.

If you guys get down this way, we have Stop Button over in Hope Mills. Not too far off 95 too if you are heading south. He is set to free play on everything. A couple of my past pins have made it over there. Currently has a TWD, Metallica, Deadpool, GOTG, Shadow, BK2K, and another pin or two along with some good video games.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

Used to could pick them up at the WS Auction, but I forget who was bringing them....Marco used to come up and would bring parts to save shipping costs. You might ask if he still comes.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Used to could pick them up at the WS Auction, but I forget who was bringing them....Marco used to come up and would bring parts to save shipping costs. You might ask if he still comes.

Auction is this Saturday. Marco was at the last one I went to, but didn't seem to have any parts. It was promo type stuff for new games and pin events.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Auction is this Saturday. Marco was at the last one I went to, but didn't seem to have any parts. It was promo type stuff for new games and pin events.

Sigh, the last three auctions have been while I've been out of town...just like this one.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Right, but I've called him in the past and he's brought me stuff to save on the shipping. Not sure if he accommodate those requests anymore.

#96 4 years ago

Wellp out of a few local glass places, the best price I got for playfield glass was $62 a sheet. Two sheets from PBL is $105 shipped, so that's probably the route I'll go.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

Try Carolina Glass and Mirror. Be very specific about size, thickness... They were very cheap when I got my TZ glass cut...

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotronjohn:

Try Carolina Glass and Mirror. Be very specific about size, thickness... They were very cheap when I got my TZ glass cut...

RIP, they just quoted me $85 a sheet lmao. I'll just place a pbl order soon.

5 months later
    #99 4 years ago

So, Raleigh related and pinball related....We will be hosting a NYE Masquerade Ball in Downtown Raleigh, ALL INCLUSIVE (Alcohol, Food, Cigars, DJ and Dancing, etc.) and we will be including some Pins from our personal collection for free play in the Cigar lounge area. The EventBrite tickets are here if you are interested in joining us for an evening of revelry.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nye-masquerade-ball-2020-at-historic-seaboard-station-downtown-raleigh-tickets-79743156929

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyhone-in-the-raliegh-durham-area/page/2?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.