anybody @ york want to install transistor 4 $

By tp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

my dh and met pro both need one. please pm me if you wanna get involved. $$ or lunch on me...thanks tp.

#2 9 years ago

can you solder , if yes , just cut out the body of the old transistor and leave the legs on the board , now solder the new transistor on the old legs . that way you don't have to mess with the board .

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Staf:

can you solder , if yes , just cut out the body of the old transistor and leave the legs on the board , now solder the new transistor on the old legs . that way you don't have to mess with the board .

Really bad advice.

OP, unless there is a reason you're physically unable do this - you should really just learn how. The tools to get it done are cheap, and it's one of the most basic repairs in pinball.

If you are unable to do it, I wish I could help you.

#4 9 years ago

why didn't you say something to me when I was there.i could have shown you how to do it. joe

#5 9 years ago

joe, didnt know about the dh issue @ the time. still not sure if its the transistor.
left flipper stopped working
fuses good
flipper switch edge is working
plunger moves freely by hand
working flipper coils have 2 diodes
noticed broken flipper coil had 1missing 1 broke diode
sodered broken diode back on...nothing....still missing 1
checked voltage at coil its .05 .... when cycling through test jumps to .82
other flipper coils hold steady @ 1.0
transistor or just bad coil.... anyone??
tamoore.....what should i buy and from where.... wish you were closer
staf....thanks for the mugyver method but maybe i should learn the proper way.
thanks everyone

#6 9 years ago

You need a soldering iron (even a cheap one), a solder sucker pump, some solder and the replacement transistors. That's it.

ebay.com link: Brand New 110V 120V 30W Welding Soldering Iron Heat Pencil Electronic Kit

ebay.com link: Antistatic Desoldering Pump Sucker Solder Irons Removal Remover Vacuum Tool Blue

Tip 102 for the DH,
IRL540 for the Met.

Snip the old transistor off at the legs, heat each solder pad up with the tip of the iron until the solder melts, then put the cocked solder sucker over the melted solder and hit the button. Do this a couple of times until the hole is clean, then pull the old leg out. Once you have all the legs out, you can put the new transistor in (the correct way), heat each leg up with the iron, and touch the new solder to the joint between the leg and the board while the iron is still on it to put a drop of solder on, and clip the leftover extended legs off.

#7 9 years ago

Take your time, and it'll be fine.

#8 9 years ago

tamoore said....cocked solder sucker...hehe. thanks. im nervous but gonna give it a go when i get back from york. joe suggested i solder in a new diode on the flipper coil first. also i had the meter on wrong setting when i got the readings above. (its a long learning process )

#9 9 years ago

Rob Anthony I think will be there he will repair it

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

Rob Anthony I think will be there he will repair it

YES. If you don't have a strong desire to learn I suggest having Rob do it. It takes time to develop skills and I only suggest it out of necessity or interest to learn.

#11 9 years ago

i definitely wanna learn how,but i think it would be good to watch somebody do it first. heck i once pulled 2 buick motors and put one back in a 36 hr span having never done it before. how hard can it be?right... starting here hoping to journey here anyone know how to contact rob? and thanks again.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from tp:

i definitely wanna learn how,but i think it would be good to watch somebody do it first. heck i once pulled 2 buick motors and put one back in a 36 hr span having never done it before. how hard can it be?right... starting here hoping to journey here anyone know how to contact rob? and thanks again.

lockwhenlit.com, I think

#13 9 years ago

Once you master the replacements you will have the joy of stocking a bunch of components so you never have a down game. Welcome to the never ending hole of repair, the dirty side of the hobby.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Once you master the replacements you will have the joy of stocking a bunch of components so you never have a down game.

You mean stocking a bunch of components only to have that one random component fail which has no substitute so you have to order it - and hell, might as well order a dozen other rare components just to make sure you have those in stock... Only to have the next component that fails be something yet again different so the process repeats until you have to buy those big giant parts organizer bins?
..... and you still don't have the next item you need?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Once you master the replacements you will have the joy of stocking a bunch of components so you never have a down game. Welcome to the never ending hole of repair, the dirty side of the hobby.

What? I think it's fun (most of the time)!

#16 9 years ago

BTW75 we share experiences my friend.

Carl_694 - I usually think its fun when its on my own time/game that doesn't have to be working, but when its on location, UGH. Sometimes I just want to take a game and push it down the stairs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-york-want-to-install-transistor-4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.