Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I am sure I am not the only one but do any of you get nervous sending out irreplaceable parts out. Like if you send out an original playfield for a TZ or IJ to get touched and clear coated. Do you guys stick to a specific shipping method over another. Obviously driving and dropping it off and pick up in person is the way to go but if you live on the east coast and your playfield guy is in the Midwest that is not feasible

#2 1 year ago

Registered mail by USPS is as safe as I can find.

#3 1 year ago

I have had items come up missing with USPS that had tracking and ins. Put in tickets and ended up never getting the item returned and only refund of shipping/ins.

If its anything I'm scared to lose I send Fedex or UPS. I think issues are geographical based lots of times. Meaning my local USPS are not on the ball where my Fedex or UPS are. From my location its almost always cheaper to send through Fedex or UPS with quicker guaranteed delivery dates.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

I have had items come up missing with USPS that had tracking and ins. Put in tickets and ended up never getting the item returned and only refund of shipping/ins.
    If its anything I'm scared to lose I send Fedex or UPS. I think issues are geographical based lots of times. Meaning my local USPS are not on the ball where my Fedex or UPS are. From my location its almost always cheaper to send through Fedex or UPS with quicker guaranteed delivery dates.

In the end I am fine paying more if I know that it’s getting there

#5 1 year ago

You should be worried, but what'cha gonna do?

Insure for the loss, be prepared to document the nature of the item in case worst comes to worst.

I've had last-of-it's-kind-in-the-known-universe items destroyed by shippers.

I've had impossible to replace things lost by shippers.

I don't have his card anymore, but I had a few pieces picked up about ten years ago by a guy whose whole business was the ultimate white-glove delivery service for high end antiques and jukeboxes and pinballs. He had a super-cushioned ride enclosed trailer, used 6" of foam and blankets on every side and padding underneath, personally put everything on his trailer and personally unloaded it when he got there. One guy, a couple helpers, personal accountability.

Just the person you'd want to deliver your James Bond 40th pinball!

Lately, (since covid) I've had shippers lose over a dozen packages at USPS. It's dropped off at the post office, but it never goes any further. Gone forever. Certain post offices are not at all reliable shipping locations... others haven't ever had a problem.

I've been watching what High End Pinballs does when he ships... He seems to be doing all he can on his end to make the shipping experience perfect.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

In the end I am fine paying more if I know that it’s getting there

Agreed. But in my instance it was paying more for less. USPS is 2 minutes from my house but I now drive 20 minutes to ship Fedex or UPS.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

You should be worried, but what'cha gonna do?
    Insure for the loss, be prepared to document the nature of the item in case worst comes to worst.
    I've had last-of-it's-kind-in-the-known-universe items destroyed by shippers.
    I've had impossible to replace things lost by shippers.
    I don't have his card anymore, but I had a few pieces picked up about ten years ago by a guy whose whole business was the ultimate white-glove delivery service for high end antiques and jukeboxes and pinballs. He had a super-cushioned ride enclosed trailer, used 6" of foam and blankets on every side and padding underneath, personally put everything on his trailer and personally unloaded it when he got there. One guy, a couple helpers, personal accountability.
    Just the person you'd want to deliver your James Bond 40th pinball!
    Lately, (since covid) I've had shippers lose over a dozen packages at USPS. It's dropped off at the post office, but it never goes any further. Gone forever. Certain post offices are not at all reliable shipping locations... others haven't ever had a problem.
    I've been watching what High End Pinballs does when he ships... He seems to be doing all he can on his end to make the shipping experience perfect.

Wow you just scared the absolute shit out of me. I just want to make sure my playfields get to the clear coater and back that’s all.

#8 1 year ago

After a bad experience with FedEx in which they tried to lowball the value of my high-end camera lens by using their own 'depreciated values' after they misdelivered it and ignoring the true value (going ebay prices and price I sold it at) of it, and seeing how the drivers drive and behave in the neighborhood, I don't trust them to anything.

Just beware that your 'value' may not be their 'value' if something happens to it.

#9 1 year ago

Yea this can happen with all shipping places

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Do you guys stick to a specific shipping method over another.

Yes. Pack it really, really, really well.

A scrap of bubble wrap and a flimsy box won't do it.

Basically, wrap it like you would expect someone to drop it, kick it, trip over it, use it as a step stool, or tap dance on it.

#11 1 year ago

Back in the day, somebody in America needs a transformer for a "The Empire Strikes Back"
    I had one that I did not need, I knew he would not find one locally, so I sent it off
    The post office asked if I wanted insurance, but how do you value "unobtainable"?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes. Pack it really, really, really well.
    A scrap of bubble wrap and a flimsy box won't do it.
    Basically, wrap it like you would expect someone to drop it, kick it, trip over it, use it as a step stool, or tap dance on it.

I am more concerned with getting lost. I use one of the kruzman playfield crates to send him my playfields to him those things are bomb proof

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

The post office asked if I wanted insurance, but how do you value "unobtainable"?

Figure out what it would cost to make one?

Or figure out what one would sell for on the open market?

Quoted from mmr61184:

I am more concerned with getting lost.

I've never had that happen. Poorly packed items that don't give structural support to the box have a higher chance of the box being crushed and shredded and then losing the label.

Also make sure the label is protected from water with a layer of packing tape.

If you are worried about losing a package, put the shipping & return addresses on multiple sides of the box, and also tape it to the item's packaging, or a couple layers inside the packaging.

Also make sure the address is legible. Don't hand write it--only use printed text so there's no room for interpretation.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Insure it for the cost of having a custom toroidal transformer built… around $300-450.

#15 1 year ago

Pack well, get tracking of course, but also make sure it's sent signature required and you should be fine.
    You can can only control what you can and hope for the best. It's a bit scary but the odds are in your favor that all will be good!

#16 1 year ago

Put an Apple Airtag in the box.

You will know more about its whereabouts than the shipper

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-worry-about-sending-unique-parts-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.