(Topic ID: 265676)

Anybody want to analyze the "Ro Go" scoring schematics????

By LyonsRonnie1

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi Folks!
I have a Bally Ro Go I'm working on, and it has a weird little quirk I wanted to get some opinions on. If you look at the playfield, there is a horseshoe in the middle that you can go through... well when you go in either side, there is a 1000 point rollover... and then a 5000 point rollover at the back. So my thinking is, you should get 1000 points going in, 5000 for rolling over the button, and then another 1000 for going out... so a total of 7000 points if you make the horseshoe, or even if you go up and back down as long as you hit that 5000.

Here's a picture of that area and the plastics....

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1969&picno=11830&zoom=1

Now, on mine, no matter what, every single time, you get 6000. When you go in, you get 1000.... and when you hit that 5000 button, it clicks... but doesn't score until you hit one of the 1000 switches on the way out... but when you do that, you only score 5000, you don't score the 1000 for that rollover switch.

So now i'm looking at the schematics... and I BELIEVE, it's designed like that. I don't know why.... but if you look, the 5000 rollover doesn't score until the advance relay pulls in, and the only way the advance relay will pull in is if the 1000 switch on either side is hit on the way out... which ensures you can't get the extra 1000 points (because the score motor is turning and scoring the 5000).....

Am I thinking about this right? Did they just not make that very clear on the artwork, or am I supposed to get that extra 1000 and I'm not seeing it on the schematics?

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1969/Bally_1974_Ro_Go_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

Any thoughts appreciated, this seems like a kind of minor design flaw to me.....

#2 4 years ago

I'm watching another one on youtube, and I slowed the video down, when he goes in he gets 1000, and when it comes out he gets 6000, so I must have a fault on mine... I'm looking at these schematics and I think perhaps the way it should work is this:

1. Ball hits the 5000 button, which turns on the Top horseshoe relay
2. Horseshoe relay is held in through a switch on itself
2. Ball falls out and hits either horseshoe rollover... which completes a circuit to the advance relay
3. Advance relay is held in through a switch on itself
4. The Advance relay should pull in the 1000 point relay (this is probably the bad switch)
5. The advance relay completes the circuit through the Horseshoe relay, to the 5000 pt relay
6. The 5000 pt. relay holds itself in through a switch on itself
7. The 5000 pt. relay starts the score motor
8. The 1000 pt. relay is pulsed through the 5000 pt. relay and an impulse cam on the score motor
8. The 5000 pt relay falls out after the score motor opens a switch

#7 4 years ago

I think it's a timing thing as Edednedy mentioned and you should get 7000 total, because of this video:

If you watch at about 6:20 (and other spots) and maybe put the video on half speed, you can hear the chimes giving him 6000 as he comes out....

#8 4 years ago

OK, I'm getting some where. I need somebody to check my logic here.

I'm now back at, regardless of that video, You must not get the 1000 on the way out.

The reason for this is, the Advance relay DOES pull in the 1000 relay.... BUT, when the top horseshoe relay is on, it does not allow the advance relay to advance the bonus unit. The advance relay typically gives you a bonus, but, there is a make/break switch that when the top horseshoe relay is in (because the 5000 button has been pushed), the advance relay is switched out of the bonus, and the 5000 is now in line with it and an impulse cam. So the 5000 relay gives 5 bonus pulses and keeps the advance relay from giving a bonus pulse.

Because the bonus end of stroke switch is never hit after the Advance relay pulls in the first 1000 (because of the rollover switch).... the 1000 relay isn't turned off until the bonus unit is pulsed by the 1st pulse of the 5000pt relay through the impulse cam.

So if you watch the machine, when it hits that first '1000' on the way out over the rollover switch, it holds in twice as long because it's really being pulled in by the horseshoe switch turning on the advance relay, held, pulled in also by the impulse cam through the 5000pt relay... and then finally released when the bonus unit is pulled in at the same time by the 5000pt relay. This means that although it's pulled in twice it's only released once, so you only score 1, 1000 point score on that first rollover/impulse cam bump.

So the 1000 and the first of the 5000 overlap each other by design, they even put a make/break switch in to insure it does it.

so you get 1000 and a bonus going in, get 5000 and 5 bonuses for the button, and it adds on the way out. If you don't hit the button, you get 1000, 1 bonus going in, and 1000, 1 bonus going out. You can't get anymore than 6000 and 6 bonuses.

How the guy is doing it in that video above I have no idea but it could just be my ears playing tricks on me too... I can't see the scores....

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I tested this on ours and studied the schematic for a while. I think 6000 is correct. I definitely hear and see it score the first 1000 on the rollover. Then nothing on the button until you hit the exit rollover. Then I distinctly hear the first 1000, followed by 4 more in rapid succession. I think because the advance relay is used, and it is movining the advance unit, that the exit 1000 overlaps the first pulse of the 5000 score. Since the advance relays 1k score stays on until the EOS switch on the bonus unit, the score motor is involved and the pulses overlap.
Dave

I think you're 100% correct, I couldn't completely understand it when you posted it but the key is that EOS switch on the bonus unit keeping the 1000pt relay held in while both fire, cancelling one out.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

At first glance it seems odd. Why wouldn't they just make the top horseshoe switch score 5000 without going through another switch? But I think it was designed that way to avoid that exact problem (missed scoring).
If the 5000 point switch fired the 5000 point relay directly, you would almost never get that other 1000 rollover. The 5000 would still be counting as it rolled over the 1000.
By tying it into the advance relay I think that hoped to eliminate this. The top horseshoe relay would close and then the advance relay would close, scoring 1000 and then your 5000 would score through your closed top horseshoe relay. The idea being, to get the 1000 to fire once and then 5 more times as opposed to the other way around.
The doesn't explain why yours keeps missing though. Maybe the timing is just too close and the 1000 is firing at the same time as the 5000. It would need to fire slightly before in order for it to work correctly. The 1000 should fire as soon as the advance relay closes. The 5000 relay closes at the same time but the 5000 doesn't start scoring until the motor starts moving and turns to the first cam. Is that enough time?
Or much simpler... maybe your 1000 point switch just isn't closing due to a dirty/open switch on the advance unit.

After studying, the 1000pt switch does fire (through the advance relay) but it doesn't turn off because the only way the advance relay drops out is if the bonus unit fires... which it can't, because the top horseshoe relay is on and switched the advance unit out of the line. It's all pretty brilliant the way they designed it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-want-to-analyze-the-ro-go-scoring-schematics?tu=lyonsronnie1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.