Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by PinRetail
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Imonex AH jam (resized).JPG
    Imonex coins hump (resized).JPG
    Imonex coin jam (resized).JPG
    IMG_20181009_115209428 (Custom) (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181009_115156748 (Custom) (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I have a few games on route and am having coin jams on almost all the games. From new Sterns to older WMS games, they all have coin jams every few days. I was wondering if the Imonex V9 would eliminate most of these issues. Any downsides other than they also accept tokens.

What is a good price and place to order in bulk if you recommend these?

#2 5 years ago

I'd say try the coin mech in one or two games as a test run (I wouldn't use a combined quarter/token unit unless that's what you're actually using). Depending on those results should point you in the right direction. However, I doubt it would make much of a difference. The arcades in my area either use standard metal coin mechs, the happ coin mechs, coin comparitors, or have switched to swipe cards to eliminate currency altogether.

I would look into a coin comparitor instead, if possible.

Something like this: http://www.coinmech.com/product_profile.cfm?id=10

Mechanical coin mechs are always going to jam just because they're mechanical in nature, and users don't always use them properly--this can be problematic if you don't have an attendant around. Coin comparitors take the mechanical issue out of the equation for the most part, but they are more expensive. It really depends on how much of an issue it really is, and how much money you are losing when a jam happens.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks. Based on Imonex claims, they say there are no moving parts and they don't jam. So I was interested to know if that's true. I found some for $20 each; but I like your idea of trying it on one game and seeing.

#4 5 years ago

I don't exclusively use Imonex, but a have several in my games. I think most of them might be an older model, but I do have three V9 in my shop. They are marked Model 950. If I remember I'll double check the games I have on location and see if they are a different model.

My experience is they don't accept foreign currency or tokens. In fact, I was given a few Imonex mechs that were token models and they wouldn't accept quarters. They were Model 984.

I've found them to be pretty reliable and don't cause many problems. They will jam if a larger coin gets through. This really only happens if your game has an Entropy door and has the wrong size coin slot installed. A couple of my games had larger slots and I've had this issue. I think I'm down to only one game with large slots, I keep forgetting to change them out.

Below is the experiment I just ran with the v9 Model 950 mechs I have on hand. The bottom row are two foreign coins that were accepted (1 Dinar and 50 Bani?) and one weird token with slots. Everything above the bottom row was rejected as it should be. Many of the tokens were rejected right away because they are larger in diameter so they never make it past the first gate.

Rather than spend $20 on new ones I'd recommend keeping an eye out for them. Ask friends that are in the hobby if they have any and swap them out. Or go over and look through their games and see if they have any. If you go to any shows, look for them and pick some up, just don't get any of the .984 models, test them with quarters before buying them. Give them a test run at your location before forking out the money for new mechs.
    IMG_20181009_115156748 (Custom) (resized).jpgIMG_20181009_115156748 (Custom) (resized).jpgIMG_20181009_115209428 (Custom) (resized).jpgIMG_20181009_115209428 (Custom) (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

I've used imonex, various token and quarter mecs. You will still get coin jams hopefully not as many.

#6 5 years ago

comparators are pretty good at avoiding jams, however since the coins fall much faster through them causing the microswitch to trip more than once or not trigger at all.

#7 5 years ago

Ok so that mech is probably not as maintenance free as I was hoping. It does seem like 30% of the jams are right in the coin slot and 30% right at the switch before the coin box. There are some inside the mech itself but usually I find a Canadian quarter stuck to the magnet causing a jam. Some have the magnet removed. I guess I'll just keep these I have and maybe if one becomes really problematic, look at buying one to try.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

There are some inside the mech itself but usually I find a Canadian quarter stuck to the magnet causing a jam.

In Michigan I'd probably remove the magnets and let Canadian Quarters through (if they go through). I get enough of them in KS, I've got $8.25 of them sitting at my desk right now. I can't imagine how many you get further north.

#9 5 years ago

They seem to come and go in waves. Some days I remove one Canadian quarter a day and sometimes go a month not seeing one.

People jamming in pennies and nickels seem to be increasing lately too. Those really get jammed in the chute.

#10 5 years ago

Ugggg Canadian quarters are the worst. Most jams for me are caused by them for me. I love the imonex mexhs they're great. Hardly ever jam for me.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

People jamming in pennies and nickels seem to be increasing lately too.

Since some of the slots (like on Stern games) state 25 cents, kids think they can use dimes, nickels, and pennies. One of my locations has had to explain to kids that they need to use quarters and that dimes, nickels, etc. won't work.

One time I had a dollar coin jammed in a slot so hard I thought I was going to have to go out and grab a pair of pliers to remove it.

As I mentioned previously, I had a couple doors with oversize slots in them. So far this year I've received 5 dollar coins (which get jammed in the coin mech) and two 50 cent pieces, one of which is from 1952 and solid silver.

#12 5 years ago

Imonex still jams. At the theater gameroom I used to service, I'd get 3 or 4 machines a week that would have coin jams inside the Imonex coin acceptors. This was on brand new acceptors that were designed for .882 tokens. After about a year of "wearing in" those acceptors, the jamming occured much less, down to once a month. I've got a friend with a Williams Road Show on location with old Imonex quarter coin acceptors. We've had no jams except for a toothpick in the coin entry trough. I had an air hockey on location which I installed the Imonex electronic coin comparitors. They jammed too.

Here are some pictures I took of actual Imonex coin acceptors that had jammed on location.

Imonex AH jam (resized).JPGImonex AH jam (resized).JPGImonex coin jam (resized).JPGImonex coin jam (resized).JPGImonex coins hump (resized).JPGImonex coins hump (resized).JPG

4 years later
    #13 11 months ago

Can a V92 accept quarters and .984 tokens concurrently? Or do you have to set it for one or the other?

#14 11 months ago

Imonex mechanisms are designed to NOT BE ADJUSTABLE... they depend on precision molded plastic coin guides, there are no adjustable coin cradles, no adjustable coin bounce guides. There is a company that is advertising that they can modify imonex mechs to accept both quarters and .984 tokens for a fee, and they probably can.

Every V92 mech I've seen was made to accept dollar coins, (or canadian dollar coins) and quarters (or canadian quarters). Two radically different coin sizes, and more importantly, two different denominations.

In the V9 line, they make a specific mechanism that is molded to accept .984 and Quarters (.950) reliably. I don't see any reason that they couldn't mold the quarter side of the V92 mechanism to accept both coins.

I would directly contact Imonex about your needs.

https://imonex.com/contact/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-use-imonex-v9-mechs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.