(Topic ID: 227813)

Anybody use HVLP gun?

By yellowghost

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I want to buy a HVLP gun but not sure what kind. A full size or touch-up. I only have a 8 gallon campbell so not sure if I have enough power for a full size.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

I want to buy a HVLP gun but not sure what kind. A full size or touch-up. I only have a 8 gallon campbell so not sure if I have enough power for a full size.

Read Vids Cabinet repair thread, good info, 8 is a little tight. I just used mine with an 11 recently for the first time and it ran the whole time and I gave it some breaks to catch up. I did the primer on my cabinet with it. Just need to dial it in and have the right viscosity of the paint

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Read Vids Cabinet repair thread, good info, 8 is a little tight. I just used mine with an 11 recently for the first time and it ran the whole time and I gave it some breaks to catch up. I did the primer on my cabinet with it. Just need to dial it in and have the right viscosity of the paint

A 11 gallon compressor? I would be using it to spray 2 part urethane on playfields. You would think there would be enough air in the tank to get most of it done before mthe motor kicks in. Only takes 45 seconds tops to spray it.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

You can get away with it but use a medium to slow activator. I have a 20 gallon and it always kicks on sooner than I think

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

You can get away with it but use a medium to slow activator. I have a 20 gallon and it always kicks on sooner than I think

Or add a reducer maybe? I've been using my airbrush for my first attempt on a small project and I found it a little too heavy. I had it cranked up to 40 psi's which I don't like doing

#6 5 years ago

Yea, read the VID topic on playfield and cab repair, plenty of great info to glean there. That is where I tutored myself.
    I have two guns now, one for clear and another for primer and latex. All info from VIDs posts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yea, read the VID topic on playfield and cab repair, plenty of great info to glean there. That is where I tutored myself.
    I have two guns now, one for clear and another for primer and latex. All info from VIDs posts.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

Oh..thanks. I will look

#8 5 years ago

I pull it off with a 6 gallon... But you can't dick around. Make sure the tank is full before you start.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I pull it off with a 6 gallon... But you can't dick around. Make sure the tank is full before you start.

Ditto on this. I make sure the tank is full before I begin. You have to have an eye on your spray pattern though and make sure is consistent. I wait for the compressor to stop for every layer of clear.

#10 5 years ago

I had a thread asking this question and it got some traction with answers from people who use this equipment a lot. If you look up my threads you can find it easily- sorry I cannot post link from my phone easily.

I ended ip purchasing a DevilBiss spot repair gun (HVLP and a compliant). The pro guns are expensive and some people claim they get great performance from cheaper options. I dont doubt that, and I ended up with the spot repair gun because its an extremely high quality gun thats designed to shoot smaller surfaces- for me, I use a commercial 30 gal compressor with an aftercooler and I was able to spray a playfield and full lower cabinet without running out of air. The spot repair guns use a bit less air than a full.

I can share exact details on what I got where etc... just ask and I will look it up and post. If you can swing it- I would HIGHLY recommend getting the DeKups system (3M makes a similar) for your gun. It makes mixing, spraying, gun clean up, and disposal trivial and a joy. Also- you can get cup sizes that work for pinball- you can mix 3-6 0z of clear and fill the cup and get a great feed with almost nothing waste.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

I had a thread asking this question and it got some traction with answers from people who use this equipment a lot. If you look up my threads you can find it easily- sorry I cannot post link from my phone easily.
    I ended ip purchasing a DevilBiss spot repair gun (HVLP and a compliant). The pro guns are expensive and some people claim they get great performance from cheaper options. I dont doubt that, and I ended up with the spot repair gun because its an extremely high quality gun thats designed to shoot smaller surfaces- for me, I use a commercial 30 gal compressor with an aftercooler and I was able to spray a playfield and full lower cabinet without running out of air. The spot repair guns use a bit less air than a full.
    I can share exact details on what I got where etc... just ask and I will look it up and post. If you can swing it- I would HIGHLY recommend getting the DeKups system (3M makes a similar) for your gun. It makes mixing, spraying, gun clean up, and disposal trivial and a joy. Also- you can get cup sizes that work for pinball- you can mix 3-6 0z of clear and fill the cup and get a great feed with almost nothing waste.

Yeah thanks. I was planning on the small gun.
    How much clear should I mix for a full size playfield you reckon. I did my WWE mini-playfield and mixed about 3 oz. And that was enough for 3 coats.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

How much clear should I mix for a full size playfield you reckon

I think I use about 200ml per coat. I'm only a novice but recall it being about that much, my clear is a 4 to 1 ratio so that is 160 of the clear and 40 of the hardner.
    I measure it out in graduated medicine cups which are 30ml each so it takes a few but sure is accurate.

I used to mix a TON when I first started learning how to shoot it.

#13 5 years ago

I typically use about 5 to 6 ounces per coat.

#14 5 years ago

Being in the paint industry, I always recommend against using a compressor for HVLP guns. I love the airless models that Titan and Graco have available. The airless models like Titans Capspray 1500 will give you all the power to spray what ever paints you want from Clear Coats to heavy Latex enamels. Being that it is airless the overspray is almost nonexistant. With air your overspray is far greater. Which results in using way more paint. And you get that cloud of crap circling around.

So the pros for using an airless model is... More power, less overspray, less room needed (you don't have to have a big compressor), less likely to breathe in that crap floating around and less materials used.

#15 5 years ago

Just to reply RE volume of clear to spray. If you get a setup that can efficiently handle low volumes (eg the dead volume of the system is small) you can get away with just a few ounces for a single coat on a play field. When I sprayed my playfield and lower cabinet I believe I mixed 6oz and had a bit less than an ounce left when I was done. If your new to doing this and need to take a few passes to set up your gun or use a different setup you could need a lot more. I started spraying pinball using a gun with an external pot and it ATE clear. I think I needed 6 oz just to spray a play field because the pot was so damn big and the hose from there to the gun was bog and long.... just sayin- the right equipment can save you a LOT of money in clear. Is always a couple hundred to get more clear and if you live somewhere like me where temp changes throughout the year you also need to get 4 different activators. So efficient gear makes a big cost difference.

#16 5 years ago

Usually 200 ml is more than enough for 3 coats of clear on a playfield. At least for my setup.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-use-hvlp-gun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.