(Topic ID: 10648)

Anybody use black balls on SM or gold balls on LOTR?..

By iceman44

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Twitch_Boy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Where do you order your balls from? PL?

#2 12 years ago

Gold would be so cool for LOTR LE. I was thinking about doing it myself, but I believe they are expensive.

#3 12 years ago

Back alley creations.

#4 12 years ago

The black balls are horrible. Mine came with them, I played 1 game and took them out. Makes it harder to see. They are a horrible gimmick.

#5 12 years ago

I have 1 black ball w/ carved in eye ball for my waterworld. If all were black I think it would be hard to play. It is hard to see a black ball. But having the 1 is kind of fun.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The black balls are horrible. Mine came with them, I played 1 game and took them out. Makes it harder to see. They are a horrible gimmick.

I agree, especially at night! Try playing with black balls in a dimly lit room and see how far you get.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from TheStranger:

Try playing with black balls in a dimly lit room and see how far you get.

Yeah, that's definitely what she said.

#9 12 years ago

there are sm balls with webs on them, too

#10 12 years ago

there are sm balls with webs on them, too

#11 12 years ago

I have had gold ones in a TOM for years and love them. Not one of the pins you mentioned but still...they would be great in LOTR.

#12 12 years ago

I have 4 bb's in my BSD from BAC.....and I love'em. They are there to stay!

#13 12 years ago

i was about to do that on LOTR but heard the are not so good with magnets.

anybody can confirm that?

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I bought them for SM. DUMB. Can't even see them

#15 12 years ago

Back Alley creations has all those styles of ball plus a webbed ball that would be cool for SM

#16 12 years ago

After reading the link I posted above about the gold balls, I would be hesitant about using them. It appears that they dirty up the machine and lose their luster very quickly.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

TheStranger said:Try playing with black balls in a dimly lit room and see how far you get.
Yeah, that's definitely what she said.

LOL LOL

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

and lose their luster very quickly.

Pretty much the reason I came up with as well.
Just stick to the carbon cores for LOTR and everything will be Legolas.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i was about to do that on LOTR but heard the are not so good with magnets.
anybody can confirm that?

I confirmed in my post above that that rumor is WRONG......BSD + dragging magnet = works flawlessly with bb's every time.

These balls were made for machines that love LED's.....anything less would be uncivilized.

#20 12 years ago

Has anyone actually tried to use the black balls? I have one in my nascar machine for one of the capture balls. It is very neat, it has held its color, but it is unusable as a normal ball. I bought it for kicks months ago. I have tried it in various games. It made it a week in Batman Forever, but every-time it came into play (remember I only have 1) the player would complain it is too hard to see.

Neat idea, but bad in practice. I wonder if that is part of the reason williams never released them for black rose even though their are part numbers for one.

#21 12 years ago

I have a single black web ball in my SM. It actually adds to the challenge. I don't think its exceptionally more difficult to see if you have a well lit room, but it is enough so that you have to pay more attention to where it is - especially in multi-ball when it has a tendency to just "show up" at a flipper. If you play in a darker room, I can see where it'd be difficult to follow the black ball. Overall I like the extra variable it adds, and have had some of my best balls with the black on in play.

#22 12 years ago

My ST:TNG came with them. They are very difficult to see when the balls get down toward the flippers which doesn't have as much GI as the upper playfield. You can compensate by having bright lighting overhead, but I don't like to play that way.

#23 12 years ago

Count mine as another vote against for using them in SM. I got the webbed balls and in addition to the problems seeing them, I found they moved much faster, even compared to new silver ones (although I seem to be the only one who has had this issue). They careened around so much that I pulled them for fear or breaking plastics as much as the difficulty in seeing them.

On the other hand, if I got even in the vicinity of a ramp shot, they'd scream up it. I easily set the combo record while I had them in.

#24 12 years ago

hmmm,,, may try gold balls on my LoTR

#25 12 years ago

The gold balls lose their luster and the gold plating wears off fairly quickly.

#26 12 years ago

Won some golds at a bash and put them in my BK2K. For some reason they play ludicrously faster than my old ones. Which is a good thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.95
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 7.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 25.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-use-black-balls-on-sm-or-gold-balls-on-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.