You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault.jpg
earp (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Greetings,

I love the sound of EM machines as they reset and so does my grandson, but the noises they make
are hard on my wife. Have any of you sound insulated the back box on your EM pinball in an attempt to reduce
startup noise, and if so what did you use to do it?

Thanks,

-Craig

#2 1 year ago

Is this a problem when she's playing the game, or when others are playing the game and she's just hearing it from another room?

Soundproofing inside the game would trap heat. Excess heat could cause issues.

If she's playing, maybe recommend ear protection, headphones, or ear plugs?

If she's not, maybe add soundproofing to the room it's in?

#3 1 year ago

A thicker cut wood back door would probably solve the problem without soundproofing it.

#4 1 year ago
earp (resized).jpgearp (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

[quoted image]

l take you're not married or soon to be devorced?!

#6 1 year ago

You could try a sound reduction mat stuck to the inside of the back door, it's about 1/2" thick but l would take note of Forceflow point about heat build up inside the head. Check the vent slots are not full of dust and rubbish.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from durriti:

l take you're not married or soon to be devorced?!

You'd be wrong on both accounts.
Besides I picked Ultra-Soft and Comfy Cush

My wife would be happy. I'm not so sure Tammy Wynette would be.

...Someone will get that.

#8 1 year ago

Thank you all for the interesting and comical replies. My wife never fusses about it, but I can tell
it's hard on her nervous system. She does self insulate, but the unit is in my
loft which is above our kitchen and dining area where people tend to congregate. I like the idea of
a thick wood back door, that is an interesting solution. I may also try Dynamat on the metal back door,
that might be a solution if it doesn't cause overheating (which I hadn't considered).

again, many thanks,

-Craig

#9 1 year ago

When I lived in an apartment I just turned the chimes off. That still didn’t satisfy my lower neighbor because she could still hear me having fun. Oh well, she’s probably a Karen on the prowl now.

#10 1 year ago

Is this a real post?

#11 1 year ago

The score motor is as much a contributor to noise as the score reels and that’s in the base cabinet.

Maybe an early SS game is for you?

#12 1 year ago

The playfield and flippers make as much or more noise than the scoring part of the game

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Is this a real post?

Or is it just fantasy?

maxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg
#14 1 year ago

I think having an EM style game is a poor choice in your house. Pick a solid state on up game in my opinion.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I just turned the chimes off.

That’s exactly what I do when I’m trying to keep the noise level down when the wife is trying to relax. It helps out considerably.

#16 1 year ago

A chime switch cut switch can be installed under the front of the cabinet for easy access and unnocticeable.

#17 1 year ago

To me it’s the pop bumpers that make the games loud, especially if they’re juiced a little or are DC Williams. The pops on my Lucky Hand are especially loud. So much so that I won’t play it late at night unless my wife is awake.

#18 1 year ago

I agree with some that most of the loud sounds come from the cabinet and playfield not the backbox.
But is sounds to me that the reset sounds of the score reels seem to be the trigger that causes the issue.
Not sure if the mat in back would work but that's probably the best option to try.
Or if maybe rubber under the leg levelers would insulate the sound from travelling through the floor and help more than insulating the back box
Or a thick rug or sound insulating mat under the machine that covers a few feet around it.

#19 1 year ago

Tell her to go shopping and then play...I know this doesn't really address the issue..but it really does work...although your bank acct may get smaller when she is not home while you play.

#20 1 year ago

Sound is travels either airbourne or via a solid object. Either decoupling or absorbing are two ways to reduce sound travel and retansmission. Now you have stated where the machine is to where your wife is, l would stand the machine on a heavy rubber mat, (decoupling). To reduce airbourne sound l look at a sound absorbing material like whats used in car interiors and fit this the the underside of the machine, the thin plywood on the underside of the machine acts like a drum skin. The same material could be used on the inside of the rear metal door, l don't recomend wood panel as this will only soak certain frequencies but allow transmission of others.

#21 1 year ago

If your machine is a Gottlieb EM with a Player Unit be careful of how much insulation you add to the back door as the Player Unit cam that turns ends up very close to the metal door.

I found this on a Soccer and on a Top Score. Both were missing the back door, I replaced it for a wooden one and the games stopped working because the Player Unit was getting hung up on the door.

Alberto

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-sound-proofed-their-back-box?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.