View topic image gallery

PDR_0010.JPG
PDR_1892.JPG
insert_sheet_layered.jpg
IMAG0222.jpg
image-B18.jpg
FUNHOUSE_Insert_Decals.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I'm in the middle of restoring my FH and I have one insert that is almost completely missing and don't want to spend the $ on a whole set when I need just one decal. So this got me thinking if there was a way to make your own. All I really need is a picture to scale that I could print out and make a stencil with frisket and airbrush it. I've got a pic from ebay that has all of them, but I need the "STEPS OPEN" decal which is white and in the picture of the kit it blends in with the backround so isn't really much help. It's in the bottom left of the two pics.

FUNHOUSE_Insert_Decals.jpgFUNHOUSE_Insert_Decals.jpg image-B18.jpgimage-B18.jpg

#2 12 years ago

We made the ones we needed for a bop. Nobody makes them. We went to kinkos with our artwork and they printed it up for us. They have a clear sticker paper that worked great.

IMAG0222.jpgIMAG0222.jpg

#3 12 years ago

The hardest part was the sizing. It was a trial and error type thing.

#4 12 years ago

Where did you get the artwork pics? If I had that I could probably make one easily.

#5 12 years ago

The artwork was hand traced by somebody else. I was sent an email with all of the inserts. Put it on a memory stick, then used that at kinkos to get the art into their computer.

#6 12 years ago

I make mine with photo shop or an art program with lots of fonts. Print on paper till I get it the right size than print on decal paper I bought t the hobby shop. Works great. They can be laminated or I just brush clear over top.

#7 12 years ago

PM sent with a quick redraw for you

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

I make mine with photo shop or an art program with lots of fonts. Print on paper till I get it the right size than print on decal paper I bought t the hobby shop. Works great. They can be laminated or I just brush clear over top.

Same here. See link below to some more info on this process. Works great.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/water-slide-decals-for-playfield-restore

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

PM sent with a quick redraw for you

Thanks alot that should work for what I need done.

#10 12 years ago

One inexpensive way to make decals is to print on the glue side of scotch tape. I've done this for model airplane decals, the tape is pretty much invisible and the decals look good.

The process is fairly simple:
1) Print your decal on regular paper.
2) Put a piece of scotch tape over the printed image, a little bit longer than you want your decal to be.
3) Print again, this time on top of the scotch tape.
4) If you used an inkjet printer (as opposed to a laser printer) allow the ink to dry before the next step.
5) Put a piece of scotch tape on top of the scotch tape previously printed. Fold the end of the tape strip to have something to grab to pull it off.
6) Pull your decal off. The ink (or toner) should now be on the glue side of your decal.

I haven't tried this for pinball, give it a test run before applying it to your playfield. Also, make sure the tape still looks good if you put clear on it.

This is fairly easy to do, and it's dirt cheap - may be worth a try.

#11 12 years ago

I planned on clear coating a Playfield, so I made the "A" B " C" insert decals for my EM Space Odyssey.. I have an older graphics program called Paint Shop Pro 6 I used to make the font and size as Close to original as I could... I printed them out on Testor's Water-Slide Decal Paper ( Hobby Lobby) on my Ink Jet printer and let the ink dry a few hours.. I then sprayed them down with Krylon Crystal Clear and let them set over night... Worked out pretty decent, the Black ink is a shade lighter than the originals though.. I'm sure a Laser Printer would work better.. Maybe I'll pick one up when the old Tax check comes in...Ha

Good Luck, Bill in Indiana

#12 12 years ago

I use waterslide decals and then double them up. You wait about 24 hours and then apply the second one over top. Matches the opacity pretty close. Even with two waterslides, it is still thinner than most of the printed mylar out there. After waterslides, I spot clear the area where the decal was applied.

insert_sheet_layered.jpginsert_sheet_layered.jpg PDR_1892.JPGPDR_1892.JPG PDR_0010.JPGPDR_0010.JPG

#13 12 years ago

I made for my Swords of Fury too with the help of Photoshop and CorelDraw

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-make-their-own-insert-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.