(Topic ID: 7962)

Anybody know how to convert a game from tokens to quarters?

By herbertbsharp

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

galaxy-world_token.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Looking to do this on a HS and an arcade machine

#2 12 years ago

You just have to swap the mech behind the door. Super easy job.

#3 12 years ago

First try quarters, some token mechs take tokens and quarters.

If not, replace the cradle on the mech to a quarter one.

Or get quarter mechs, like these http://na.suzohapp.com/gaming/coin_comp/35000300.htm

I like the metal ones. And note the posts on the sides, there are three holes, you can unscrew and move them, or remove them, depending on what style door you have.

LTG

#4 12 years ago

Some mechs that take both have an adjustment screw on them to get them to work correctly as well.

#5 12 years ago

I've actually been thinking about doing the exact opposite and changing all of mine to token mechs. I think it would be cool to have a little bowl of tokens sitting there for guests to grab. For obvious reasons, this wouldn't be such a great idea with quarters. I also kind of miss the sounds that the games make when you credit them up. You never get to hear these sounds when the games are always set to free play.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've actually been thinking about doing the exact opposite and changing all of mine to token mechs. I think it would be cool to have a little bowl of tokens sitting there for guests to grab. For obvious reasons, this wouldn't be such a great idea with quarters. I also kind of miss the sounds that the games make when you credit them up. You never get to hear these sounds when the games are always set to free play.

Good point.

I've been debating using coins or tokens also because I too feel something is lost having games on freeplay.

What I've found is that the value of a match means absolutely nothing now.

I'm actually guilty as charged of pressing the credit button before the match sequence ends on occasion...just because it's so irrelevant now.

I like the idea of accumulating a few free games up on the DMD--and seeing how long I can keep the free game streak rolling before I have to dip into the well again.

#7 12 years ago

I'd love to convert my games to tokens as well, I've looked into a bit, if I could find new token mechs that were cheap enough, I'd do it...

#8 12 years ago

The only problem I would run into is that my TZ has the home ROM, and it will only allow free play. I do believe there is a hacked version of the ROM (9.4ch) floating around out there. Does anyone know where I could get this?

#9 12 years ago

I too would like to convert mine TO tokens. Ideally i'd like to get a reproduction of my childhood arcade (no longer around) and have a bucket of those around.

#10 12 years ago

I think you may be able to get cradles or something that take both tokens and quarters? Maybe LLOYD can tell us how and where to get some??

Or maybe I can just adjust my quarter mechs somehow...

Sorry to hijack haha...

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree - setting games on free play seems to take away some of the 'reward' of earning a free game - or hitting that 'special when lit'. The sound of the quarter rolling through the mech, and the knocker kicking really brings back memories. Up until about a month ago, all my games were set to give one credit per quarter. When I got Monopoly, I went ahead and set it for free play. I figured I'd encourage playing it by making it as easy as possible to start a game. But for me, it just seemed to loose some of the 'incentive'.

I do keep a jar of quarters in the game room, so it's not like you have to work hard looking for a quarter to play. ...and only once did I think someone 'raided' the jar - when my 6 year old had a bunch of his friends over for a party. Oh well, loosing a couple $$'s that way isn't going to bother me that much.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I think you may be able to get cradles or something that take both tokens and quarters? Maybe LLOYD can tell us how and where to get some??

Do some digging. Search for coin op tokens, token manufacturers, coin controls that makes mechs, suzo happ, replay or playmeter magazine - search their advertisers.

It shouldn't take long to find.

Or advertise looking for used mechs that do both.

LTG

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Some mechs that take both have an adjustment screw on them to get them to work correctly as well.

If you are talking about the screw on the front of the mech, that is for thickness not size. Won't help for circumference.

LTG

#14 12 years ago

Some arcades use tokens on one side and quarters on the other (on a two input coin door). Or you can get a mech with a "D" on it, those can take both quarters and tokens.

Good video if you've never seen how to swap and adjust the mechs:

#15 12 years ago

Thanks Lloyd, it's only for home use, so I was wondering if I could just convert my existing quarter mechs to take tokens instead.

I have found online where I can get token mechs...and do have collector friends on KLOV I could get used ones from most likely...

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Good video if you've never seen how to swap and adjust the mechs:

Thanks will check it out when i get home for sure

#17 12 years ago

Found this nice article.. I knew all you had to do was swap the mech inside, but this at least shows you what you need:
http://retroblast.arcadecontrols.com/articles/token-convert.html

now I just need to figure out which token size I want to use

#18 12 years ago

I play all my games on location, so once that first pin finally comes along, I had decided awhile back that it will be staying on coin-op. I feel like I would lose the motivation to earn free games that "paying" for credits gives you if it were always on freeplay.

Figured on keeping it quarters (as I'm always partially through a roll anyways), but now seeing the ease of token use, it's got me thinking... Nice and replenishable, no worry of theft, etc.

Great useful thread here.

#19 12 years ago

Ive actually joked to my friends about taking my games off of freeplay and bringing in a change machine. Kinda like a drug dealer-I will give you a taste for free but then you gotta pay. My friends did not think it was all that funny. I ended up telling them as long as they bring really good cold beer I will keep them all on free play. Until they get a good taste.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I too would like to convert mine TO tokens. Ideally i'd like to get a reproduction of my childhood arcade (no longer around) and have a bucket of those around.

Dennis's or Aladdin's Castle?

#21 12 years ago

Dennis's or Aladdin's Castle?

alladin's castle would be neat, so would pin pan alley. No, I'd want galaxy world tokens (and no, I don't consider brunswick zone the same thing):
galaxy-world_token.jpggalaxy-world_token.jpg

Just found someone that's selling it for $5, seriously thinking about getting some reproductions made up (there is no trademark, so I know I won't get sued). I'm looking at about 1,000 minimum quantity at 14 cents a piece.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-know-how-to-convert-a-game-from-tokens-to-quarters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.