(Topic ID: 241160)

Anybody have issues with cointaker.com LED kits?

By BroMan90

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hey there!
This is my first pinside post. I'm newer to the pin community and bought my first pin about a month ago (Last Action Hero). Anyway, one of the first things I wanted to do is upgrade to LEDs and a lot of places pointed me to cointaker.com for LED kits. Got it today and about 75% installed. There was a nice little packet that came with the lights that said where everything should go and which bulbs to use...however we noticed very quickly that a lot of it was wrong. For example the RIPPER lights on the bottom left below the playfield which are clearly 6 yellows would call for 3 different colors in their manual. The mode shots colors were all wrong as well. We just ignored their instructions and installed them as we knew they should be and the bulb count seemed to come out right at least. But, has anybody else had this kind of issue with LED kits from cointaker or is my machine kind of an outlier? Everything else about my order from them I was very happy with. Would love to hear about your experiences. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Most people these days avoid the kits and just buy bulk LED's directly from Comet. Then you can do whatever colors you want, for far less money.

#3 5 years ago

This is the way I have always done it. ^^^ The kits seemed too expensive so I just bought individually. Also I wanted to create my own color spectrum.

#4 5 years ago

Warm white works better for yellow inserts , yellow LEDs are usually to dim.

#5 5 years ago

I installed a Cointaker kit for my Sopranos and there were definitely some errors in the instructions. Just use your judgment. If it looks good in the end, that’s what matters. If you seem to be missing a bulb or have the wrong one, Cointaker should be good about correcting any mistakes.

#6 5 years ago

I didn’t have any issues with my TZ or IJ when I put the cointaker kits in them. I did have some oddball color/wrong socket type mixups when I put them in my EatPM and DW. I just ordered what I needed to finish later.

If I do another I’ll likely just order what I need after looking at the game’s manual and making a list.

#7 5 years ago

I've used their kits a few times and there is usually one or two bulbs that are wrong or are missing. They are very happy to make good on it but I have found it much easier and smarter to just include an extra 20 or so and ask them to throw in an assortment of extra bulbs of various colors. Saves the aggravation of being one bulb short at 10PM and having to wait a week until you get one!
Also, I have started buying 50-100 packs of the standard colors to supplement the kits. After a while, you will have enough bulbs that you can do a whole game without buying a kit. Remember, although it is nice to color match inserts, in a pinch, bright white looks good everywhere! Just don't mix colored bulbs like reds for instance and bright white in the same light design. The difference will be noticeable.

#8 5 years ago

It’s easier to buy in bulk from Cointaker, with a large assortment of colors. Then you choose what fit your taste. Their LEDs
are far superior to most others.

#9 5 years ago

I’ve never purchased a kit.
I’ve bought from cointaker and comet. I honestly can’t tell the difference in quality. They both have unique products and I interchange the two brands.

I like to color match to inserts and prefer yellow under amber inserts. GI is always white. I like 2 SMD cool white bulbs on games with predominantly cool artwork like blues or greens and 2 SMD sunlight white on games with red or orange artwork.

If you’d like a game to retain it’s age, the only choice is a not-so-bright warm white 1 SMD for everything.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Their LEDs
are far superior to most others.

Actually if you’re buying smd LEDs from any pinball LED company, they all come from the same place. So best to choose the price and service and selection you prefer.

#11 5 years ago

I see LED placement as more of an art than a science. There are so many different colors, styles and options. To get results I like I usually have to experiment using trial and error.

Also, depending on the game, you might benefit from the LEDOCD or GIOCD mods. LEDs don't dim well on their own and can flicker etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Boards
Slap Save Creations

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-have-issues-with-cointakercom-led-kits?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.