(Topic ID: 214940)

Anybody have any tips on shipping freight?

By cosmokramer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Butch2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180419-151635 (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

I am building replacement cabinets and have quite a few people asking me to ship nationwide. I can pallet and crate the cabs, but who/what is the lowest cost alternative?
    If anybody has some shipping experience or tips they can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

I've read several times that palletized shipments can be done through fastenal at a reasonable rate.
    Of course you have to get it to them and pick up from them... worth investigation?
    Other than that, as our business ships load and loads of Ltl, an account with someone like yellow or roadway or the like can have it's own cost savings.
    Check out FedEx freight, they have an "if it fits it ships, one rate". They actually give you a box or pallet and no matter the weight, its 1 fee, similar to the post office.
    Hope this helps.

#3 6 years ago

Don't call it a pinball when shipping, call it a wooden cabinet.
    Higher rate if you even say pinball.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

call it a wooden cabinet.

Oh, good call!!

#5 6 years ago

Yea I purchased and empty used cabinet and needed it shipped they wanted $300 dollars
    when I explained that there was no glass or electronics involved the price ended up at $125

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

Yea I purchased and empty used cabinet and needed it shipped they wanted $300 dollars
    when I explained that there was no glass or electronics involved the price ended up at $125

Who did you use?

Quoted from wdennie:

Don't call it a pinball when shipping, call it a wooden cabinet.
    Higher rate if you even say pinball.

Great advice

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I've read several times that palletized shipments can be done through fastenal at a reasonable rate.
    Of course you have to get it to them and pick up from them... worth investigation?
    Other than that, as our business ships load and loads of Ltl, an account with someone like yellow or roadway or the like can have it's own cost savings.
    Check out FedEx freight, they have an "if it fits it ships, one rate". They actually give you a box or pallet and no matter the weight, its 1 fee, similar to the post office.
    Hope this helps.

There is a fastenal near me now, but not so much when I move....I will check fed ex

#7 6 years ago

gonna have to look that one up

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Who did you use?

Great advice

There is a fastenal near me now, but not so much when I move....I will check fed ex

If you believe you will have regular volume, account representatives for Fedex, and most all carriers have
    a degree of "negotiability" from published, stock, or counter person quotes.....

#9 6 years ago

One term...KDF...Common term in transportation...Knocked Down Flat. If you were to prepare a tutorial on how to put the pieces together I suspect quite a few would opt to assemble themselves. Those who aren't up to the task will simply have to pay for the assembly and added shipping cost.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

Knocked Down Flat.

That’s what makes IKEA so affordable.

#11 6 years ago

Try USF Holland and Forward Air too. Since they're assembled, you'll be charged at the dimensional weight and not the actual weight, most likely. So if you ship an empty refrigerator box, it might only weigh 15 lb but it takes up the SPACE of something that weighs 300, so that's what determines the rate. The formula used to calculate dimensional weight is length x width x height divided by 194, but Forward Air does the division by 250, which would work out in your favor. If it's possible for you to drop those cabinets off wherever you ship them from, that will save you some cash too.

#12 6 years ago

I have a call into fastenal for pallet shipping cabs that are assembled, just waiting to hear back...I found a side loading shipping box at U-line that should work for the flat pack shipping, I just need to weigh everything and can get some prices...thanks guys

#13 6 years ago

Are you kidding, we owe you thanks for being such a Pinside asset!

#15 6 years ago

Don't use YRC.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

That’s what makes IKEA so affordable.

That and the cheap ass plastic parts.

#17 6 years ago

Nothing is easy anymore...

Screenshot_20180419-151635 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180419-151635 (resized).png
    I guess I need to try again and just call it "boxes"

#18 6 years ago

They are not cabinets, they are wooden containment systems (crates) for the transportation and mounting of electronics...oh and tools and fasteners. Stick a free screwdriver in each "crate"

#19 6 years ago

So far, this is the most reasonably priced and dependable shipping service I have used.

http://www.pilotdelivers.com/

#20 6 years ago

Flat shipping would be awesome, you will get
    Many many orders I believe.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So far, this is the most reasonably priced and dependable shipping service I have used.

I ship Pilot all of the time. Terminal to terminal service usually cuts down on price & potential handling mishaps..

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thanks, this seems do be the best option as I read their website...I'm just waiting to hear back.
    I found the right size boxes for flat pack shipping as well, as soon as everything is weighed I should have all the information I need.

#23 5 years ago

Lol...they quoted me 551.85 to ship a 140 lb crate to Illinois

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

quoted me 551.85 to ship a 140 lb crate

Ouch

#25 5 years ago

Yeah, I have been trying to do it via email with a couple of different companies... It's not working out so I need to get on the phone and actually speak with someone

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Lol...they quoted me 551.85 to ship a 140 lb crate to Illinois

Try terminal to terminal service. I can usually get it under $250

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-have-any-tips-on-shipping-freight?hl=balaraform and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.