Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
    #1 7 years ago

I'm considering going to see a show in Troy, NY and I'm wondering how dangerous it is and if there's anything to see in the vicinity.
    The show's on a Friday so I'd sleep at some motel and either come back the next day or the day after... I'm wondering whether I'd go by myself, with the girlfriend or friends, too.
    Pinballmap has nothing listed around there, but you never know....

The show is at the Ale House.

So, anybody know the area?

Cheers
    Phil

#2 7 years ago

Troy is a bit sketchy in certain areas.There's a lot of runned down neighborhoods. I try not to linger there too long, especially after dark. A group is probably a bit safer.

Troy, Schenectady, and Albany are the top ranked for (violent) crime rates in the region.

However, there are a few interesting things to see and do in each city. When visiting, just use common sense precautions like you would in any other city, and be aware of your surroundings.

Upstate NY has very little in terms of location pins, unfortunately.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Upstate NY has very little in terms of location pins, unfortunately.

Grew up there, and didn't even see a location pin till I was 12 :/

#4 7 years ago

There is an Addams Family (3 games for a dollar) at McGeary's in Albany right near a Hampton Inn on Pearl Street. I think there is another pin in a bar across Pearl Street. Both Albany and Troy have universities, and as long as you stay out of the sketchier areas, you will be ok. I stayed at the Hampton Inn during Labor day.

#5 7 years ago

I've played there many times and also at the Hangar across the street. Which venue and who's playing? Where the club is isn't bad, as others wrote there are bad 'hoods' around the area.

#6 7 years ago

I used to work in Troy. Most of Troy is sketchy but I never had any major problems. I never saw a show the Ale House but I worked on River St. and went to the Ale House many times for lunch. It's located on the Hudson River in a so-so neighborhood. Parking sucks there. Try not to park on the street if you can. The building is pretty nice, good food, although it's been almost 10 years since I have been there.

Quoted from pinaholic:

There is an Addams Family (3 games for a dollar) at McGeary's in Albany right near a Hampton Inn on Pearl Street. I think there is another pin in a bar across Pearl Street. Both Albany and Troy have universities, and as long as you stay out of the sketchier areas, you will be ok. I stayed at the Hampton Inn during Labor day.

I have been to McGeary's many times. It is close to the Palace Theatre so it's a good place to hang out before a show.

#7 7 years ago

The show is Wayne Hancock http://www.waynehancock.com/
    Thanks for the tips guys, I don't care about going to Albany to play some TAF, was just wondering if there was some real cool barcade with many machines or something.
    I'll look into it, but if I don't just drive right back home in the morning I'll stop in Lake Placid or something and won't waste time in Troy / Albany.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

was just wondering if there was some real cool barcade with many machines or something.

You would probably have to go to NYC for that.

There may be a few places in Rochester, NY, though.

There is the sanctum in Meriden, CT, but it's only open on Monday evenings.
    https://www.facebook.com/thepinballsanctum/

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There may be a few places in Rochester, NY, though.

No public places out here have more than two machines. Buffalo has Pocketeer with 40+ machines, and I've heard there'll be a place opening in Syracuse soon

#10 7 years ago

Ok thanks for the tip. I'd rather skip NY though - I've been before and I'd rather go check out something else.

I'd rather not get further from home either, do you guys recommend anything cool to do in the highlighted area?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#11 7 years ago

A month earlier and Saratoga Springs would be the place to go with the racetrack open and lots of concerts at SPAC. Lot's of good golf courses in the highlighted area. If you want a touristy place to go there is Lake George. Lake Placidis cool, and preferable to Lake George IMO, but it is off the beaten track. Too early for skiing.

Be careful driving on the Northway. The troopers love giving tickets to Canadians.

#12 7 years ago

There's a number of interesting non-pin related attractions, but if you're looking strictly for pins, there's very little in that area. A small handful of locations with one or two pins. Lake George might be your best bet, though the arcade with the largest number of pins have titles that are poorly maintained and heavily routed.

#13 7 years ago

No, that's alright, I'm not hellbent on seeing pinball related stuff. When I go somewhere where there's really cool places I want to check 'em out (like that Anastasia Bowling lanes place in Jacksonville or all the cool places in Seattle), but I don't want to play pinball at all costs, I'd rather go see Saratoga Springs or Lake George.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-from-around-albany-troy-ny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.