(Topic ID: 49204)

Anybody ever powder coat cliffy's protectors?

By jnauman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jnauman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37439157.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I'm working on my first complete tear down and restore on my TZ. Cleared playfield, New cabinet decal... the works. Going to powder coat all hardwear on cabinet and wireforms in the game (black sparkle). Was wondering if anyone has ever powder coated cliffy's protectors? Are they too thin? Will it make them too thick? Thanks upfront for all the advice.

#2 10 years ago

That would be awesome actually to match the game art a bit better.

On certain pins the metal look stands out too much, but if colored that'd be pretty bad ass!

#3 10 years ago

Will definitely make them too thick. Barring that, those things take a lot of direct hits. I don't think that even if thickness wasn't an issue, that they would stand up and not bend, flex and chip off.

#4 10 years ago

You would be adding thickness to them. So they would likely impair gameplay.

#5 10 years ago

Nope I only clearcoat mine and put a tiny tiny littler topper on them.

#6 10 years ago

I don't suppose you can anodize stainless steel, right? lol..

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Will definitely make them too thick. Barring that, those things take a lot of direct hits. I don't think that even if thickness wasn't an issue, that they would stand up and not bend, flex and chip off.

Ah yeah, too thick.

I wonder if he can make these with #8 stainless so it has a super gloss finish. That would scratch up though hmmm...

#8 10 years ago

http://www.finishing.com/245/20.shtml

Interesting info there on anodizing stainless steel. I doubt it's cost effective, but if you're absolutely determined...

#9 10 years ago

I'm no expert and maybe alex (pinchroma) will chime in, but I would think that the powder would add enough thickness to cliffy's "micro-thin" steel protectors to the point that it *could* start affecting play.

maybe cliff should start offering his protectors in a "black" stainless like jady (swinks) was able to do for the shooter lane side rail protectors. that would be pretty sweet as the protector would just give the appearance of an artwork outline on the play field.

edit: frax beat me to the punch. a black anodized stainless would look pretty sweet

#10 10 years ago

Absolutely don't powder a cliffy. It will be too thick. Plus the purpose of the cliffy's is to prevent wear. Why add a wear point to the cliffy itself?

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Why add a wear point to the cliffy itself?

Couldn't you put a cliffy over the cliffy to protect the cliffy from being damaged by wear?

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bischt:

Couldn't you put a cliffy over the cliffy to protect the cliffy from being damaged by wear?

would the cliffy protector's cliffy protector have to the the extended type to hide the original? and does cliffy made a extended XL type protector so that you could use that to cover a powder coated extended protector?

#13 10 years ago

Paging Xzibit ...

37439157.jpg37439157.jpg

#14 10 years ago

I would imagine a cliffy on a cliffy on a cliffy may work however when the vuk fires the ball will likely fall off a "cliffy"

#15 10 years ago

Got it. What every I do don't coat my cliffy!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-ever-powder-coat-cliffys-protectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.