(Topic ID: 59948)

Anybody ever dealt with barrywnj on eBay?

By Lethal_Inc

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dino-happy-clap-761.jpg
    barry-1.jpg

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Isn't that true of everything on eBay?
    Unless I personally know the person I don't blindly give money away.
    And the few times I have been unsatisfied with an eBay purchase, I have always gotten my money back. I don't just decide to keep it leave the seller positive feedback and then slander the them on a forum. That doesn't make much sense.
    If the item was misrepresented, you return the item and get your money back. That's the way it works.
    If you do that, then you can legitimately complain (but it still isn't worth a whole lot).

I couldn't return a Cyclone that had water damage from 800 miles away after the bottom of the cabinet fell out. And since your such a Barry fan, we both know EBay ONLY protects the seller, never the buyer. What Doesn't make sense is why-the-hell Your sticking up for him if you have never dealt with him!~SpOoKy

#102 10 years ago

Yeah I can tell you're a real saint. Are you Mother Teresa? lol

I will give you some good advice for the future.

When you make false claims about someone, you shouldn't use quotation marks claiming they said something if they didn't.

There's a legal term for that. I suggest you consult a lawyer if you don't understand.

#103 10 years ago

barry-1.jpgbarry-1.jpg

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Please don't not let your enthusiasm for some game to take over your brain. The game you are looking for will ALWAYS be available; you don't have to abandon common sense to overpay for something, sight unseen just because you can buy it today.

This is precisely what happened to me. Words to live by.

#105 10 years ago

Here is my story. I personally didn't purchase anything from him but a guy I sold a Creature to contacted me about 6 months after he had my creature. Anyways, I ask if the creature is ok n he says ohhh yeah but was wondering if you could help me out with a police force I just bought on Ebay from Barry White......

I'm like sure no prob....well about 30 minutes later of troubleshooting on the phone it turns out there is no A/C relay installed on the game!!! Yep! Cut out n tied wires together to make the solenoids work n no flashers! This was a "100% working game" Yeah ummmm I'd say make sure you know what you are doing and inspect the game in person.

#106 10 years ago

Now that I think about it it wasn't the "A/C" relay it was an under playfield relay....can't remember EXACTLY the purpose of it but I do remember something was working and something wasn't because it was bypassed with wire nutting or taping things together.

#107 10 years ago

Bought one pin from him and was shafted! The pin was supposed to have been 'shopped'. When I took the glass off, the PF was filthy and covered in dust. I'm not going to take the time to list all the bad things about the pin. It was nothing like his description of the pin. Plus, I am convinced the pictures of this pin that he had online were not pictures of the pin I received.

Never again! That's all I've gotta say!
    Mike in Kentucky

#108 10 years ago

is gatecrasher Barry himself incognito?

#109 10 years ago

Guys lets keep it civil ok?
    thanks

#110 10 years ago

in before the lock

dino-happy-clap-761.jpgdino-happy-clap-761.jpg

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

is gatecrasher Barry himself incognito?

I am an eBay buyer & seller for over 10 years with a stellar reputation and a 100% score of almost 2,000. I never had to pay anyone $100 to say so either. As I mentioned earlier, I have no connection to him and have never bought anything from him. I don't know why you find it so hard to believe that someone can't be bullied into joining you in your lynch mob. It's poor etiquette to slander others on a forum. Pretty cowardly too.

As you can read, there are just as many who have had good experiences as the bad (probably more but they don't want to be attacked for saying so). That's the way it usually is on a forum. I've seen it many times before.

If you really think you are doing a service to others, it shows a whole lot more class to just send a PM to the person asking rather than starting your own smear campaign on here because it could just as easily come back on you the exact same way. All it takes is one loser to think he got shafted (even if he really didn't).

That's why my advice in my original post, before a few others started attacking me, was if the OP was new to pinball he should take someone experienced with him to look at it. Go back and read it if you doubt my integrity.

I'm a pinball parts manufacturer and pretty well-known in the pinball community. All of my pinball parts are fully guaranteed and anyone who isn't 100% satisfied can have a full refund no questions asked.

Even you.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #113 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

someone can't be bullied into joining you in your lynch mob.I'ts poor ettquite to slander others

Quoted from Gatecrasher:

rather than starting your own smear campaign on here

please point out to me where I have bullied you into "my" smear campaign...sounds like perhaps your slandering me...no?

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

please point out to me where I have bullied you into "my" smear campaign...sounds like perhaps your slandering me...no?

I did point it out. Because I don't agree with you, you decided to jump on the bandwagon and add me to your smear campaign along with your buddies by insinuating that I am this guy. See how these things work?

Have you ever responded to any of my posts on here before? I don't know you any more than I do the person you are slandering so what's with the personal attack? There are a lot of people on here who know who I am and even more on RGP. I'm not some spolied young punk who just bought himself an AC/DC pinball machine and now thinks he's some kind of a credit to the community or something.

This is my last post on this thread. I've had my say. You can carry on with your personal vendetta if that's what makes you happy.

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I did point it out. Because I don't agree with you, you decided to jump on the bandwagon and add me to your smear campaign along with your buddies by insinuating that I am this guy. See how these things work?
    Have you ever responded to any of my posts on here before? I don't know you any more than I do the person you are slandering so what's with the personal attack? There are a lot of people on here who know who I am and even more on RGP. I'm not some spolied young punk who just bought himself an AC/DC pinball machine and now thinks he's some kind of a credit to the community or something.
    This is my last post on this thread. I've had my say. You can carry on with your personal vendetta if that's what makes you happy.

You think highly of yourself...

#116 10 years ago

I know for a FACT!! That people have been bullied into positive feedback. No positive feedback? NO SUPPORT!

Not saying Barry did this just know it happens on EBay.

Post edited by eavedesian: Clarify

6 months later
    #117 9 years ago
    Quoted from eavedesian:

I know for a FACT!! That people have been bullied into positive feedback. No positive feedback? NO SUPPORT!
    Not saying Barry did this just know it happens on EBay.
    Post edited by eavedesian: Clarify

Here's what I have discovered in dealing with Barry my first time. I talked to him on the phone prior to buying The Shadow for 1999.00. He's from NJ and I'm from NY. Very direct and I like that. Also very responsive and upfront with me regarding what will need to be fixed. If anyone here is trashing the guy without actually talking to him then their feedback should be devalued if not dismissed altogether unless they talked to him and then got screwed anyway. Here's a link back to the summary from today's delivery:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-shadow-help-3-topics

#118 9 years ago

"Run! He's got a board with a nail in it!!!"

Barry is right up there with Mad (Amusements) Mike . . . two rip-off artists.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

The Bottom line for someone who is thinking of buying from him is you better be a repair person or have one on hand because the guy buying a pin who does not know how to work on them should not buy from this guy!

This is true for any used machine with no warranty,wherever you buy it...

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

Here's what I have discovered in dealing with Barry my first time. I talked to him on the phone prior to buying The Shadow for 1999.00. He's from NJ and I'm from NY. Very direct and I like that. Also very responsive and upfront with me regarding what will need to be fixed. If anyone here is trashing the guy without actually talking to him then their feedback should be devalued if not dismissed altogether unless they talked to him and then got screwed anyway. Here's a link back to the summary from today's delivery:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-shadow-help-3-topics

BTW even though he told me one of the rings was missing before i bought the shadow from him, he just found one and shipped it to me for no charge.

#121 9 years ago

I just heard that it's better to go down there and check out the machine...not deal through the mail.

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I just heard that it's better to go down there and check out the machine...not deal through the mail.

"down there" for you is significantly different than "down there" for others. Unfortunately here in Rochester NY there really isn't a good selection of machines within driving distance. The last 2 I got from Albany which was 3 1/2 hours away. I bought the roached black knight simply because I drove all that way.

#123 9 years ago

Yes, I ment for people that can make the drive. If not, you take your chances from what I heard...

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, I ment for people that can make the drive. If not, you take your chances from what I heard...

Is Barry in Asbury Park?

#125 9 years ago

Allenhurst, NJ?

#126 9 years ago

Made the drive then drove away without the game. What was described was not what was in his shop. How many negative opinions does it take to realize he is not a person to deal with and expect a positive experience!

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from neverahighscore:

Made the drive then drove away without the game. What was described was not what was in his shop. How many negative opinions does it take to realize he is not a person to deal with and expect a positive experience!

sorry to hear that he wasted your gas and your time, I hope you didn't have to travel too far, sounds like he has been in the business for a long time, he knows the condition of those games he is selling,
    so when some one says condition is a matter of opinion , that is bullshit, I will stay far away from this guy, thank you!

#128 9 years ago

If you're talking about project pins, you have to go there in person, ALWAYS. Doesn't matter if it is Barry, Harry, or Larry.

With Barry, he will let you look through the machine entirely and check everything out. I bought another machine from him after the Laser War project when I asked him on a whim what he had for projects, and got a decent deal. He was much more friendly this time when I got there and we talked for about 20 minutes or so about pinball. He also mentioned again that I shouldn't be buying these games if I don't know what I'm doing with electronics. He knows he is selling you a major project.

With the project machines Barry doesn't work on, it all comes down to his time and money. If he won't bother with it, it means it isn't worth his time and effort. He often has multiples of the same machine and will make one good one out of several poor ones. So if someone comes along (me) and wants to buy a project pin and break even from the scraps (maybe save a couple hundred) because they really enjoy restoring machines, it works out for both parties. Just don't expect it to be pretty, have working displays or a bootable MPU. But if you wanna pay like $300 or less for a project machine, go for it, message him.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

If you're talking about project pins, you have to go there in person, ALWAYS. Doesn't matter if it is Barry, Harry, or Larry.

No doubt about it. That is one of the best tips you can give to anyone but especially newcomers. I know it's not always possible to see the game in person. But you can never trust someone who resells to meet your expectations with just words and pictures. I learned the hard way as many other have. I now have a few contacts who I would buy from no questions asked. It takes time to find someone who describes games and meets your description level.-Joe

#130 9 years ago

I believe this thread needs a poll. Something like...if you have ever purchased a pin from barrywnj would you buy another?
    Too many buyers over the years have been unhappy and even though it may be their own fault for not viewing it in person or asking the right questions, it is just not good for pinball.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I believe this thread needs a poll. Something like...if you have ever purchased a pin from barrywnj would you buy another?
    Too many buyers over the years have been unhappy and even though it may be their own fault for not viewing it in person or asking the right questions, it is just not good for pinball.

Yes and No. Yes to buying a pin from Barry, and no to doing business with him again.

4 weeks later
    #132 9 years ago

Barry's been listing a whole bunch of projects lately. Here's a High Speed with a fair (at best) playfield, Pinbot ROM's and no backglass. $669.00? Hopefully his "make offer" price is significantly lower.

ebay.com link: WILLIAMS HIGH SPEED PINBALL MACHINE NEEDS A LITTLE WORK SAVE

Nothing wrong with a project pin. A lot wrong with an overpriced project pin.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Barry's been listing a whole bunch of projects lately. Here's a High Speed with a fair (at best) playfield, Pinbot ROM's and no backglass. $669.00? Hopefully his "make offer" price is significantly lower.
    ebay.com link » Williams High Speed Pinball Machine Needs A Little Work Save
    Nothing wrong with a project pin. A lot wrong with an overpriced project pin.

He is always willing to listen to cash offers off of ebay if you are thinking about going to pick up the pin.

#134 9 years ago

every game he has is a project. If it's shopped and in good shape. it really means it's a project that's really dirty.

if he's claiming them as projects.....HOLY SHIT! I can't imagine what a nightmare that game must be. Half of the parts must be missing off the bottom of the playfield. Every board if there, will be bad. Transformer, will be swapped out...who knows the shit mess that will be. I wouldn't give $200 for something he claims is a project.

#135 9 years ago

Pretty much the same ole song and dance... TRY TRY TRY to avoid buying a pin off ebay or without seeing it-- playing it-- inspecting it. I am sure if you could go by and check the guy's stuff out you may jump on some deals/games and likewise feel super happy you visited before you bought and passed on something. I don't know the guy personally at all but this is just general advice.

The last Ebay pin I was super interested in turned out to be a real flaky deal, photos used from some other game,,, show up and "hey you didn't mention this and that, and HEY HEY I think this game doesn't match the photos.... ding dong... LUCKILY it was local and I simply passed and had a "PHEW" (wipe the brow) moment. If I was not local , I would have been hit with some surprises (and heartburn) upon delivery and pickup and NO ONE WANTS TO DEAL WITH THAT!

PINSIDE IS A GREAT FORUM TO SHAKE DOWN AN EBAY SELLER FOR SURE!!!!

#136 9 years ago

if he's claiming them as projects.....HOLY SHIT! I can't imagine what a nightmare that game must be. Half of the parts must be missing off the bottom of the playfield. Every board if there, will be bad. Transformer, will be swapped out...who knows the shit mess that will be. I wouldn't give $200 for something he claims is a project.

Stop sugar coating it!

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

TRY TRY TRY to avoid buying a pin off ebay or without seeing it-- playing it-- inspecting it.

Except for the awesome reputable people on this site that stand by their machines and their work. You all know who you are...I'm happy to buy sight unseen from those guys, and recently did.

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

every game he has is a project. If it's shopped and in good shape. it really means it's a project that's really dirty.

The Comet I picked up came from him. Was missing 1 plastic, the drop target mech for the dummy, and the wire gate for the comet ramp. The transformer failed on it (but that may have been my fault as it was working and I was soldering over it), MPU didn't boot and I'm still working through it. Displays were all outgassed, but I'm going the x-pin route anyway. Otherwise, it was all there. I don't think it is such a bad deal if you're looking for a project for fun. He even gave me a 2nd ramp, although busted, which I sent to Radium so he could try and make something out of it. PF was trashed, but wanted something to practice PF restoration on. The risk was minimal for me, this was meant as a learning project.

I wouldn't recommend these to anyone that isn't expecting a very big project through.

#139 9 years ago

I have purchased over 60 pins in the last 9 years, only had 4 shipped of that group, 2 from Barry. I will say I wasn't extremely happy with ANY of the 4 I had shipped, but Barry's were as good as the others, and for me he was fair (he was a bit short of cash at the time I bought, maybe he always is, ha, but I made decent deals on 2 machines, an AFM and a BSD, and got my money back later when I moved them on, and I moved them on to people who saw and played them). For me, he was ok, no complaints, but like a lot of others here I feel bad for anyone in our community who at any time feels ripped off by anyone. And like so many others say, and like I do now....I NEVER ship if it is not pristine, resist resist resist, go see it in person if at all possible! No matter how many pics you get, no matter how much of a description you get, there is always a real chance that you will end up being disappointed. And most of the time I think it is not the fault of the pictures or the seller...I like to think that few are purposely hiding things in their pictures. There is just nothing like seeing things in person. I drive as far as 400 miles each way (yes, many of us have that sickness), and I have also taken things home I shouldn't have to justify my long drives, I have made all the mistakes described in this and other threads.
    I know people will always ship, I know everyone's circumstance is unique. Again, I am truly sorry for any pinsider who gets ripped off by anyone, I believe all the stories out there, good and bad. I hope that those with bad experiences aren't soured to pinball because of them, there are so many more great and wonderful representatives of our hobby out there, I appreciate all of you who are those people. I hope all you good ones are the ones I buy my next machines from!!

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Stop sugar coating it!

"Half the parts must be missing." Not necessarily. "Every board will be bad" Not really. "Transformer will be swapped out" Another negative assumption. "Sugar coating" It's ebay dude. Everybody does that. They are trying to make sales.

I bought a Shadow from him. He was real clear about the problems I would have to fix. I paid 1999.00 for it sank in 550.00 including full LED's, new lockbar and PF Glass and now have a good shadow for 2550.00. I do have another few things to fix but I am happy with my purchase from him. If in doubt, just call the guy.

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

"Sugar coating" It's ebay dude. Everybody does that. They are trying to make sales.

Nice. So what you're saying is "Don't hate the player, hate the game"?

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Nice. So what you're saying is "Don't hate the player, hate the game"?

Pretty accurate man!

Ebay sales pitches are awesome. Zizzle POTC "Rare!" Firepower "Outer Space!"
    T3 "Arnold Schwartzenegger!" Hook "Robin Williams!" (2 days after he hung himself) and the ever-popular "WOW!!!!!"

If you can't effectively weed through the BS then ebay is not a good place to buy pinball machines or anything with similar characteristics. If you can you can get some great deals. For some it's one of the only options and certainly the one with the highest level of exposure.

#143 9 years ago

I don't know the people that delt with him through ebay. Everyone I know that got screwed by him, did it over the phone or a direct transaction of total misleading garbage. Overpriced for what you get.

10 months later
    #146 8 years ago

That's why I didn't start a new thread. Thought it should be here in this thread just in case someone searching doesn't see that.

#147 8 years ago

I've dealt with Barry more than a few times, and each game I knew going in, needed real work done to it. Barry is/was a collector hoarder and most importantly, a flipper.

If you were looking for the clean machine, Barry wasn't where you went. If you were looking for a low price project, with some parts robbed, something you could hobby together with time, it worked out well for those that sought that kind of thing. I never bought a game he claimed was all set to go, 100% shopped, so I can't comment on those.

I went to his warehouse, (if that's what you wanted to call it) and it's a place that almost anyone on this forum would have dropped their jaw in a bad way. I've never seen a bigger pile of legs in my life. A mountain. Parts, just thrown everywhere, games in pieces, headbox here, playfield there, wpc sound boards just laying IN the floor getting kicked around (because there wasn't much of a floor) , games on shelves, a leaky roof...and cats. He had cats living in here, feeding them, the whole nine yards, so you can imagine (though probably not best to)

He knew his stuff, but was buried. His nephew worked for him 24/7, so anything that was sold or fixed, was basically him doing so-Barry was there for his experience.

Barry was the mastermind to his madness. He would bend some, but he was also out to get the top hand on the bat. He was probably the biggest flipper on the east coast.

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I went to his warehouse, (if that's what you wanted to call it) and it's a place that almost anyone on this forum would have dropped their jaw in a bad way. I've never seen a bigger pile of legs in my life. A mountain. Parts, just thrown everywhere, games in pieces, headbox here, playfield there, wpc sound boards just laying IN the floor getting kicked around (because there wasn't much of a floor) , games on shelves, a leaky roof...and cats. He had cats living in here, feeding them, the whole nine yards, so you can imagine (though probably not best to)
    He knew his stuff, but was buried. His nephew worked for him 24/7, so anything that was sold or fixed, was basically him doing so-Barry was there for his experience.
    Barry was the mastermind to his madness. He would bend some, but he was also out to get the top hand on the bat. He was probably the biggest flipper on the east coast.

Sounds like there could be quite an interesting auction if he's got $100k+ in back taxes due. Hope there's somebody to step in and take care of those cats.

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Sounds like there could be quite an interesting auction if he's got $100k+ in back taxes due. Hope there's somebody to step in and take care of those cats.

The auction would be anything but interesting, unless he had another warehouse, which I don't think he did. In the last year, he started selling off everything. Anything of any value was sold, including more than a few TZ projects (one of which I bought) Shadows, Banzai run, Jurassic Parks, etc. Some went to ebay, some off ebay, but all pretty much sold. He had a ton of project pins, and beyond project pins, he said he was ''getting out, that the building wasn't holding up, the costs, etc'' Who knows, but it all seems to match up with the current news.

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-ever-dealt-with-barrywnj-on-ebay/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.