(Topic ID: 59948)

Anybody ever dealt with barrywnj on eBay?

By Lethal_Inc

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dino-happy-clap-761.jpg
    barry-1.jpg

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

This seller, barrywnj, on eBay has some descent pricing on a few tables and just would like some feedback on any of you who may have bought from this seller. Thanks!

#4 10 years ago

Avoid like the plague.

Search him here and on Google.

#5 10 years ago

I asked this same question a couple weeks ago and I came to the conclusion to stay away. Unless you're local to see the items in person, its a crapshoot as to what you're gonna get.

#6 10 years ago

Here we go...

#7 10 years ago

Barry White, eh? Man, myth, legend...?

#8 10 years ago

Wow, thanks for the heads up.

#10 10 years ago

How can this guy continue to sell without someone shutting him down?

#11 10 years ago

time for some popcorn and some story telling.

#12 10 years ago

Take your $$$ and toss them out your car window while driving to work. You will get more satisfaction from that then dealing with blown out crap! ~SpOoKy

#13 10 years ago

!!!!ASSHOLE ALERT!!!!

#14 10 years ago

Im sorry to say guys I have bought about 4 project pins from barry and lots of broken boards. I guess if you know what your looking for and have the know how to fix them then he is good to deal with. I have never had a problem with him, But thats just my view.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from wbarcume:

Im sorry to say guys I have bought about 4 project pins from barry and lots of broken boards. I guess if you know what your looking for and have the know how to fix them then he is good to deal with. I have never had a problem with him, But thats just my view.

I've noticed that certain project pins tend to be missing parts while others are not. Similar or maybe even the same parts that are missing from the projects tend to be for sale for full used price.

So if the pin still has the mpu and driver boards, most likely rotted

#16 10 years ago

From what I've heard from various people: If you can go down there and examine the machine (or bring someone that is savvy) you can make an ok deal.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Avoid like the plague.
    Search him here and on Google.

I'm certain lots of other people here also agree with that statement.

#18 10 years ago

"Should I buy a pin from him without thoroughly inspecting it in person myself?" should be treated as a similar question to "Should I ram this red hot railroad spike into my junk with a power hammer?"

Ans: "Probably not."

RM

#19 10 years ago

I know Barry pretty well. He's been flipping games for at least 15 years now. What most people have said is partially true. People tend be disappointed in his assessment of the condition of the games he sells. If you meet him in person and can examine the game, you'll probably be a lot happier with your purchase. I wouldn't say that he does anything wrong, collectors seem to be a lot more critical of the games they buy then the average home buyer.

#20 10 years ago

I have dealt with him twice in person. Once I sold a machine to him where he asked for a discount on an already low price. The thing is, everybody will try that. Especially if you are in business to make money.
    The second time I bought a machine from him at a slightly inflated price. I was able to inspect the game in person and decided to take it even though it was over priced and not collector quality. I bought it because I had been looking for a while for that game and it had no errors and cosmetically wasn't bad. I am very happy with it.
    Like Al said above, if you can buy it in person, you will be a lot happier.

Dennis

#21 10 years ago

Stay away. His place is where pins go to die.

#22 10 years ago

heard nothing but bad feedback about experiences with him. often times if you look closely at the photos in his auctions, you can see mismatched parts, plastics cracked/broken, or pf wear that isnt in the listing description

#23 10 years ago

Interesting reading some of these comments. I purchased my first ever pinball machine from him LW3 back in 2001 while in college. I didn't know jack $&#% about pins at the time. Half the plastics were thrown on the playfield from data east Star Wars. I remember saying I don't remember any Storm Trooper scene with Mel Gibson. Knowing what I know now I would steer clear. Just my 2 cents.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

I don't remember any Storm Trooper scene with Mel Gibson

It was there in the special edition.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

It was there in the special edition.

Gonna have to pick that version up. I'd pay top dollar!!

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

This seller, barrywnj, on eBay has some descent pricing on a few tables and just would like some feedback on any of you who may have bought from this seller. Thanks!

hi,

i've bought from him. it was a perfect experience. he did a really good job describing the pin condition. he spent time working on it prior to selling it, and he wasn't trying to overprice it (really. i got a very fair deal). I've owned 13 pins over the years, currently own 11. I would buy from him again if he gets any of the few other pins i'm looking for.

I didn't see it in person, but instead he took lots of photos for me and we had it shipped across the country from him to me. It met my expectations. It was in perfect 100% functioning order. The body had the typical scratches/etc... (and I knew that from the beginning). Also, he (on his own) worked to cover almost all of them with a perfect color match. In the end the working machine I received met my expectations. All the parts were there & it was all original. Think it's all about expectations & the condition of each machine. Probably less about him (just a guess). I've made 1 purchase from him.

hope that helps,
    bb

#27 10 years ago

Total jerk-off.... Train wreck experience.

#28 10 years ago

Run very fast in the other direction

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from wescor97:

Total jerk-off.... Train wreck experience.

Please tell us how you really feel about him....

1 month later
    #30 10 years ago

Well I have to say that I must be one of the exceptions, I purchased a roller coaster tycoon in August this year. The pin was well packed and delivered across country as described. Boards are clean no hacks, playfield in good condition. However with in two days the power supply board blew. Contacted Barry and he shipped new board out same day with no questions asked.

This experience lead me to purchase a No Fear pinball and again, as stated no problems game was as described and has no issues.

I then purchased a Getaway from him with only one minor issue of rusted leg levelers and this was corrected by him

My last pin was a Creature from the black lagoon purchased late September and again no problems and no hacks.

I live in Vancouver BC never met the guy and I must be one of the luckiest buyers from him then.

#31 10 years ago

I have never bought from this guy but after reading the posts, I went over to Ebay and looked this guy up because I was curious about his feeback ratings. He has 100% positive feedback with 463 positive and 4 negative.

I see a lot more negative feedbacks in this thread than positives on this guy. I know that Ebay only reports the 12 months of satisfaction feedback results, so this poses two questions:
    1. Did all of the unsatisfied pin buyers here report their concerns to his Ebay feedback?
    2. Is it possible that this guy is trying to be a better citizen and seller these days if he has 100% positive feedback in the past year?

Just curious.

#32 10 years ago

He doesn't refund your money until you've given him 100% satisfaction feedback on ebay. When I told him that I thought this was as dishonest as the description of the molded out pos he tried to sell me he stated; "This has always been my policy."
    Silverball0 consider yourself very lucky!

#33 10 years ago

I personally agree with some if the comments but Barry is not a bad guy. If you are buying just make sure you look at in person. If you stick with that you can get a good deal off him

#34 10 years ago

I bought a project Laser War machine from him. It was already all folded up and strapped down when I came to pick it up, I have a feeling he didn't want me to look inside the machine to check it out before loading it on the truck. He was rushing me to get it loaded on the car and out of there. I tried to shoot the shit with him, but he wasn't very friendly. It was quite a bit worst looking than the pictures he had posted, there was a lot of broken stuff everywhere, broken ramps, and the boards were all a complete mess with hacks and whatnot all over. I asked a lot of questions through email and got a lot of half-baked one sentence answers from him, and some were completely avoided/ignored. He was honest though about the state of the machine though, he told me the sound came on when turned on, but no displays. That was what happened, but why was a bit more involved (battery acid corrosion).

So to make a long story short, he shops and flips pins for a living and has for decades, and if he is unwilling to work on one, it means it isn't worth his time and he won't make any money on it. For what I put into it to get it working, I could have bought one in much nicer working shape from the beginning. Granted, I know what I'm doing with electronics too.

My advice, for project pins, stay away, even if you know what you are doing. If he didn't want to work on it, there is a very good reason why. I will not buy from him again.

#35 10 years ago

I bought a No Fear from him ages ago and it arrived safely and was in described condition.
    Wasn't his fault the game sucked.

D

#36 10 years ago

Won a TOM from him that was described as excellent condition with no issues and tons of pics backing it up. When I went to pick up the game, it wasn't the same Tom or even close. Told him how disappointed I was to waste a day off from work, drive 2 hours only to see a Tom in bad, very bad condition. Barry told me he would refund my deposit only after I left positive feedback for him willing to work with me on a "issue with game". Being a 1st year newbie at the time, I gave him positive feedback and got my refund back. Long story short, always try to see the games your buying from retailers especially. Stay away from this one!-Joe

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

He doesn't refund your money until you've given him 100% satisfaction feedback on ebay. When I told him that I thought this was as dishonest as the description of the molded out pos he tried to sell me he stated; "This has always been my policy."

Quoted from neverahighscore:

Barry told me he would refund my deposit only after I left positive feedback for him willing to work with me on a "issue with game". Being a 1st year newbie at the time, I gave him positive feedback and got my refund back.

Thanks guys. That covers the questions I posted about his Ebay feedback. Glad to see these warnings and I will never buy anything from the guy.

#38 10 years ago

I will not stand around idly while all of you relentlessly bash Barry the snapraggin' junk flipper.
    Let me get some popcorn and a chair.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from neverahighscore:

Won a TOM from him that was described as excellent condition with no issues and tons of pics backing it up. When I went to pick up the game, it wasn't the same Tom or even close. Told him how disappointed I was to waste a day off from work, drive 2 hours only to see a Tom in bad, very bad condition. Barry told me he would refund my deposit only after I left positive feedback for him willing to work with me on a "issue with game". Being a 1st year newbie at the time, I gave him positive feedback and got my refund back. Long story short, always try to see the games your buying from retailers especially. Stay away from this one!-Joe

Did he also make you cancel the transaction on ebay before getting the money back?

#40 10 years ago

No, I didn't have to cancel the transaction. This happened about 10 years ago and I wish I new about RGP(Pinside I think wasn't available) back then to do more research on Barry. I would have been screwed if he was farther away and the game was shipped. You learn quick in this hobby about who you can trust and who you can't!-Joe

#41 10 years ago

I saw a TFTC the other day at a local ops shop.The guy had just purchased it from barrywnj for $2500.00.
    It was there because it does not work

All I have to say is YIKES!!!

He is defiantly selling container games,as this one was from China

#42 10 years ago

Barry sells some good pins and also sells some projects. Inspect before you buy if you're cautious, or buy elsewhere if you're not comfortable or suspect anything. It's really that simple.

If you're decent with him, he's decent in return. He has helped me out at the Allentown show when fixing a flipper eos, and in locating parts and a translight.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from silverball0:

Well I have to say that I must be one of the exceptions, I purchased a roller coaster tycoon in August this year. The pin was well packed and delivered across country as described. Boards are clean no hacks, playfield in good condition. However with in two days the power supply board blew. Contacted Barry and he shipped new board out same day with no questions asked.
    This experience lead me to purchase a No Fear pinball and again, as stated no problems game was as described and has no issues.
    I then purchased a Getaway from him with only one minor issue of rusted leg levelers and this was corrected by him
    My last pin was a Creature from the Black Lagoon purchased late September and again no problems and no hacks.
    I live in Vancouver BC never met the guy and I must be one of the luckiest buyers from him then.

Well he screwed you by making you buy a roller coaster tycoon.........

#44 10 years ago

sheeesh... all this talk about him, now i gotta go see if he has anything for sale i'm looking for

4 months later
    #45 10 years ago

wow....glad I looked him up here first. He has a Fireball on eBay now (I know, I normally just look to see how the other half lives) that "looks" beautiful. But the reviews here, while some positive, have really put me off. Nowhere near NJ to look in person.

Any recent good experiences with Barry?

#46 10 years ago

I wonder if that is where my FT came from? hmmm.

#47 10 years ago

I think you can negotiate a reasonable price for a project game from him. (i have)

#48 10 years ago

well this wouldn't be a project machine...more the reason for concern. If I buy a project that ends up being more of a project, that's one thing. The Fireball is supposed to be more along collector quality - much more room for a bad stank.

www.ebay.com/itm/221389287064

#49 10 years ago

i wouldn't buy a 'collector quality' machine from him or hardly anyone unless i could see it in person.

#50 10 years ago

In a perfect world it'd be possible to jump on a/the jet and head out to go see every machine in person. That's just not practical. Of course in the same perfect world, we'd never have to bother with it. If I was to only acquire machines that I could travel to go see in person, I'd have many fewer machines.

That aside, I'm trying to get a more current feel for dealings with Barry.

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-ever-dealt-with-barrywnj-on-ebay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.