(Topic ID: 104874)

Anybody ever apply mylar to protect spinner paint?

By dtown

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dtown
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I got a Liberty Bell with decent paint on the spinners. I did make a scan of each side in case I would ever need to print new decals. But, I'm curious, has anybody here ever cut two pieces of mylar and placed over each side of an older spinner that has painted graphics? I'm going to keep this game for a while and I doubt it will ever see location play again so any wear would be minimal.

Just would like to know the plus's and cons of doing this. Would the mylar yellow eventually? Would the mylar affect the spin? Would the mylar just plain look weird? Like it's too shiny. I have looked for replacement decals or spinners for this game but didn't find anyone selling them. This is weird because it's the same spinner on Space Mission/Odyssey as well and that's a popular title.

Like I said, mine are in nice shape but the fact that I couldn't find easy replacements (without printing my own) had me wondering about protecting them.

#2 9 years ago

I read about some folks using packing tape to protect spinners and drop targets instead of mylar. I'm not quite sure why one might be picked over the other.

If you lightly sand the tape/mylar with high-grit sandpaper, that would probably reduce some of the gloss.

#3 9 years ago

Yes and worked great. Did it on a Ships Ahoy(mylar)and others.

#4 9 years ago

If I touch up the paint on a spinner, I always Mylar.

#5 9 years ago

I placed mylar over the sides of the spinners when I re-did them on my HS.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks guys. Mylar it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-ever-apply-mylar-to-protect-spinner-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.