grill_over_92318 (resized).png
grill_straight_92318 (resized).png
ac79f2602bc4d75d91dea83042807db433cb20f1 (resized).jpg
WP_20160527_14_15_04_Pro_LI (2) (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_1748 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPG
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Think I found a new hobby. Been chasing Webers on CL for the last couple weeks and scored my first deal last night. Got a barely used 2012 S-310 with a nearly full propane tank for $150. This grill is ~$800 new. Kinda feels like the good old days when you could still find deals on pins on CL, though these grills are much easier to move around. I know many of you grill. Anybody else into Webers?

Here she is waiting for a good scrubbing with Bar Keeper's Friend...

dirtygrill (resized).PNGdirtygrill (resized).PNG

#2 7 years ago

Just purchased that model (nib) for $599 at Lowes. Awesome grill first meal steaks were fantastic.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just purchased that model (nib) for $599 at Lowes. Awesome grill first meal steaks were fantastic.

Very cool! Yeah, they are refreshing the model line for 2017 so should start seeing some really good deals on the current lineup. If I see a new E/S-330 for sub $300 I'm buying it. If I don't, this S-310 will keep me entertained for awhile. I know back during the last model refresh HD was clearing out new E-310s for $199 so crossing my fingers for some better deals on the way.

This one had the original battery, but thankfully no corrosion. Installed a new battery, hooked up the propane, and it started right up. Gonna give it a good cleaning and steaks are gonna be grilling soon.

Based on the 2 I've looked at the last couple weeks, keep the stainless oiled. It likes to rust. Beautiful if maintained and ugly if not. Easy fix though.

#4 7 years ago

Got a Weber Genesis about 8-10 years ago. Just had to change the thermostat, igniter, and flavor bars...and now it looks and works like a new grill again. Those things will last forever if you take care of them, and they cook like a dream.

Just got the 18" Smokey Mountain smoker, and that makes kick ass ribs after 6 hours of slow cooking.

I'm a BIG fan of Weber stuff.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Got a Weber Genesis about 8-10 years ago. Just had to change the thermostat, igniter, and flavor bars...and now it looks and works like a new grill again. Those things will last forever if you take care of them, and they cook like a dream.
Just got the 18" Smokey Mountain smoker, and that makes kick ass ribs after 6 hours of slow cooking.
I'm a BIG fan of Weber stuff.

I almost picked up a 2008 era Genesis for $50 but the deal fell through. It looked well used but for $50 I was willing to take a chance. I'm very happy with what I got though. I really like the stainless grates. As for a smoker, I am sold on Masterbuilt Electric. The grates suck, but after marinating, rubbing, and foiling a couple butts, the last thing I want to do is babysit charcoal. With the MES, if I time it right, I go to bed after a couple hours of feeding it wood and wake up to a butt ready to foil. Can't do that with charcoal.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I almost picked up a 2008 era Genesis for $50 but the deal fell through. It looked well used but for $50 I was willing to take a chance. I'm very happy with what I got though. I really like the stainless grates. As for a smoker, I am sold on Masterbuilt Electric. The grates suck, but after marinating, rubbing, and foiling a couple butts, the last thing I want to do is babysit charcoal. With the MES, if I time it right, I go to bed after a couple hours of feeding it wood and wake up to a butt ready to foil. Can't do that with charcoal.

Yeah...but I think you're sacrificing something on the flavor end.

#7 7 years ago

I was reading about pellet grill for slow cooking but don't know much about them, seem like they are good but have a lot of complex mechanisms so I'm not sure how expensive they are long term. Or can you use the gas grill for slow cooking?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...but I think you're sacrificing something on the flavor end.

I think you might be surprised at how good it can be. If I'm giving up some flavor, I can't tell. I'll gladly trade it for the added convenience.

#9 7 years ago

I've got a Ducane 4400. Natural gas. Ive had it about ten years now.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago

We had a genesis silver for 14 years until it finally just wouldn't start no matter what. Replaced it wth an e310 three years ago. They really are great grills, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one.

#11 7 years ago

My mom's recipe for baked Vidalia or Texas Sweet onion in tin foil with a little water and brown sugar over the opened onion came from our weber grill box circa 1966. Still the best baked onions ever.....

Of course that was a different Weber Grill than the propane's today. Memories baked in by Weber.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was reading about pellet grill for slow cooking but don't know much about them, seem like they are good but have a lot of complex mechanisms so I'm not sure how expensive they are long term. Or can you use the gas grill for slow cooking?

I smoke a lot of meat. I bought the Amazin' pellet smoker with the intention of cold smoking and I also wanted to be able to have my propane smoker work unattended. The issue I've run into is you need a lot of oxygen to keep the pellets smoldering and I just couldn't keep them lit in my smoker. It worked ok on my grill for smoking. I haven't given up yet, but the results were less than steller for me using pellets.

#13 7 years ago

Just cashed in airline miles for a new e330 Genesis. Got it last week. Loving it!

Also have a Smokey Mountain that spits out kickass ribs and butt.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Just cashed in airline miles for a new e330 Genesis. Got it last week. Loving it!
Also have a Smokey Mountain that spits out kickass ribs and butt.

Would you recommend the Smokey Mountain? I see them for sale now and then and just haven't pulled the trigger. I used to have a brinkman smoke and grill and it worked pretty well but gave it back to my parents.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Would you recommend the Smokey Mountain? I see them for sale now and then and just haven't pulled the trigger. I used to have a brinkman smoke and grill and it worked pretty well but gave it back to my parents.

I have a Weber charcoal grill I converted to the same setup as a smokey mountain (vertical smoker)...highly recommend it. Using lump charcoal and a pitmaster iq temp controller it will maintain temp for about 10-12 hours unattended.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have a Traeger pellet smoker and have been running it for 6 years. It's been pretty reliable with only 1 or 2 minor maintenance things. Traeger is certainly not the Caddy of the pellet world but it's a solid grill that has served me well. My gas grill only gets used a few times a year now. The Traeger is used almost every night from Spring until the snow flies.

#17 7 years ago

Bought a new Genesis 310 natural gas for the house last year. Was a little leary about spending that kind of coin, but the grill cooks awesome and from what I've read and seen, will last darn near forever.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Definitely. I have the 18'' one, same as boob so he can probably chime in as well. Once you get your temp dialed in it will hold steady for hours on end. The last butt I smoked I threw on at 11PM and held temp within 5 degrees through 10AM no problem. You can't really rely on the dome thermometer though. Make sure you get a digital for air temp.

The only thing I've heard is that the smaller 14'' one is a little harder to dial in due to it being smaller and running a little hotter. Can't go wrong with the 18'' or up though. Quality parts that will last a lifetime if taken care of.

#19 7 years ago

Been looking for a nice used weber genesis to replace my 10yr old vermont castings gas grill. Honestly though, barely use gas anymore once I discovered hardwood lump coal and have just been rocking out on the Weber kettle the last 2 years. Welcome to flavortown

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Been looking for a nice used weber genesis to replace my 10yr old vermont castings gas grill. Honestly though, barely use gas anymore once I discovered hardwood lump coal and have just been rocking out on the Weber kettle the last 2 years. Welcome to flavortown

For sure, nothing beats the flavor you get when cooking on a kettle. When you get home late in the evening on a weekday though the convenience of gas really shines.

#21 7 years ago

I have a S-330 at home and a Q220 when camping.

#22 7 years ago

I have a Weber genesis and 18" WSM. I love them both. Last year I upgrade my smoking game with a insulated cabinet smoker from Humphreys

#23 7 years ago

I love my Webers! I have a Smokey Joe (purchased in college, always used for camping till this year), a Weber Q (used with the camper now), a Summit S470, and an older weber Performer that I've had for nearly 20 years. I also run a Big Green Egg and have a huge Texan made, oil pipe, offset horizontal and vertical smoker that can cook enough to feed 40+ folks (Lyfe Tyme brand?) but doesn't get a lot of use these days. The Bge does most of my smoking duties, (butt, brisket) and handles high temp stuff like pizza. I can set the Bge up at night before I go to bed with a couple of butts, leave it overnight, and have the meat be ready to foil in the morning to finish cooking.

The Webers do all the rest of my cooking chores and the Perfomer is usually my go-to cooker for ribs as well. In fact, the Performer gets the most use at my house, as I prefer cooking over charcoal and I've used it for so long, that it's easy to set up the fire I want.

I've had a couple other gas grills in the past, but after a couple of years, you had to start replacing burners, grates, etc. The webers may cost a bit more, but usually have stainless grates, seem to get to higher temps for cooking, and generally require less maintenance over time than some other brands.

If you can find some deals on Craigslist, then that's an excellent way to pick up a quality grill!

#24 7 years ago

Just did a butt in my WSM. Turned out awesome!

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from pigbat:

The Traeger is used almost every night from Spring until the snow flies.

I've got the insulating blanket on my trager and use it down to zero degrees in the winter no problem, love it.

#26 7 years ago

Love my Genesis, which I was able to buy with no cash out using credit card rewards points (don't ask how much in credit charges I needed to rack up the points).

Only thing that's a little disappointing is that I thought those upside down triangle things over the heating elements were supposed to minimize flareups. Well, they don't work. Still, I doubt any grill other than that have a whole metal shield right below the grid would stop that....

#27 7 years ago

Upgraded to a 670 a couple years ago. Awesome grill.

20160625_154846 (resized).jpg20160625_154846 (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

I've got a china copy of a Big green egg. It is like a new hobby.

pb_ceramic_22_black (resized).jpgpb_ceramic_22_black (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Upgraded to a 670 a couple years ago. Awesome grill.

^^ Ok, who makes that pizza oven? I'd like to put one of those in the backyard!

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

If you can find some deals on Craigslist, then that's an excellent way to pick up a quality grill!

It is surprising how often they pop up for sale. I guess most people don't want to move a dirty grill though. They certainly are sought after at the right price. I probably should have just setup a CL alert, but saw this one within an hour of posting. The seller even let me pick it up late at night which is something I normally wouldn't do, but didn't want to lose another one and was going to be tied up the next day.

For those of you searching, it is amazing how many people list them as Webber or even just grill.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from raisindot:

Only thing that's a little disappointing is that I thought those upside down triangle things over the heating elements were supposed to minimize flareups. Well, they don't work. Still, I doubt any grill other than that have a whole metal shield right below the grid would stop that....

I've read these work well. Pricey though...

http://www.grillgrate.com/?gclid=CNnh2M7a384CFVdZhgodGWcC4Q

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

^^ Ok, who makes that pizza oven? I'd like to put one of those in the backyard!

Interior dome is Forno Bravo. I fabricated and built everything else. It's one of a kind. Been a pizza guy for 25+ years.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Interior dome is Forno Bravo. I fabricated and built everything else. It's one of a kind. Been a pizza guy for 25+ years.

Nice! I've been looking at those and the Four Grand Mere's as well. That pizzamaking.com site has some great info for diy building. Sorry about the off topic stuff, op!

#34 7 years ago

Bar Keeper's Friend is some great stuff. Got one side table done before it started raining.

Before

b4 (resized).PNGb4 (resized).PNG

After

after (resized).PNGafter (resized).PNG

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Nice! I've been looking at those and the Four Grand Mere's as well. That pizzamaking.com site has some great info for diy building. Sorry about the off topic stuff, op!

There's a Weber grill in the pic so it's cool

That is a nice setup!

#36 7 years ago

I have a weber summit e-470 on gas. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

#37 7 years ago

Still using a Weber Charcoal grill with lump charcoal. Not too convenient during a fire ban, when it's windy, when it's rainy etc... But I love it!

#38 7 years ago

Oh yeah. I just picked up a Weber Genesis grill and really like it so far. Apparently the Gensis line is made in the United States which is great to hear (its certainly made well)

I've also had a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker for about 7 years and it functions just as well as the day I got it.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

My mom's recipe for baked Vidalia or Texas Sweet onion in tin foil with a little water and brown sugar over the opened onion came from our weber grill box circa 1966. Still the best baked onions ever.....
Of course that was a different Weber Grill than the propane's today. Memories baked in by Weber.

Wow. Yum. Post the recipe (or a link to it) here?

Quoted from bdaley6509:

Just did a butt in my WSM. Turned out awesome!

Hey that looks great. I have an 8lb-ish Brisket on mine right now.

For those that still don't believe a charcoal-burning, Weber bullet smoker is set it and forget it easy, well, they are. Even in the wind, once I light it and it settles into a temp, it will hold that temp for 8+ hours without any need to tend the fire. I you're looking for ideas or a forum to support you, Google The Virtual Weber Bullet, it's a great site with lots of resources.

Sadly, my WSM was getting a little long in the tooth and so a couple of years ago I brought home an $800 Louisiana Grills pellet smoker from Cabelas. I thought the electronic start and temp control would make my life easier. Unfortunately that isn't the case. The thermostat and ignition are such that you get crazy temp swings, and you also don't get as much control over the smokiness the meat picks up. You can take you pick, either just a little or, a slight bit. I also find it drys out the meats more since there isn't a baffle with water sitting below the meat. I use the pellet smoker every once in a while but most of the time I just fire up the Weber SM.

The good news is that I spent $60 in parts this summer and fully restored the Weber so I'm thinking of selling the pellet grill and I'm sure I'll take a bath in doing so. I guess you could say that my experience owning it is not unlike that of my NIB purchase of my (former) Transformers LE Decepticon...

#40 7 years ago

I'm fixing to make shrimp on the grill, have not done it before any tips or secret recipes?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm fixing to make shrimp on the grill, have not done it before any tips or secret recipes?

About the only time I eat shrimp is when we do a low country boil. When I'm not sure how to cook something I've had pretty good luck with allrecipes.com.

#42 7 years ago

Any of you guys use the rotisserie? If so, what do you think of it?

#43 7 years ago

I have a Weber Spirit series 300 grill I bought used for $100.00 Was hardly used. I love it, use it all year long. Next will be a Big Green Egg.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Any of you guys use the rotisserie? If so, what do you think of it?

Rotisserie with ceramic IR burner a'la the summit..... amazing. Couldn't live without it now. Use it very often, for many things and even my holiday turkey meals are now done this way.

Add-on rotisserie with no dedicated ceramic burner.... no bueno.

#45 7 years ago

You guys are making me long for a grill.

Quoted from rai:

Years ago I went down to Alabama to help rebuild after Katrina and we stopped at this house that had a homemade sign selling shrimp. He told us this awesome recipe that I haven't had again but need to try to make. It involved marinating the shrimp in French (maybe it was Italian) dressing overnight. Then wrap in bacon and put on grill. I can't remember if you wrap the shrimp before or after the marinade. That dressing really did the trick. Man, it was good! Maybe you can find a similar recipe online.

#46 7 years ago

When I want to take the time to charcoal I use a 22 inch Weber kettle grill. We have had it at least 12 years. Get the coals hot and toss some hickory nuts on the coals to add some smoke. Grill the corn in the shuck on the gas grill and smoke the burgers for the family gatherings.

#47 7 years ago

I'm a big Weber fan. I've got six Webers, five of which are charcoal, and one gas. The charcoal stable consists of a Smokey Joe, a 22" plain Jane kettle, a Performer Deluxe, a 22" Smokey Mountain cooker, and my latest a 22" Master Touch Spring Green Limited Edition kettle, only available in Europe and Canada. Yes even barbecues are available in LE's lol! My gas grill is 2002 Genesis Gold C which I keep in mint condition. Yup I love my Webers!

There is even a club for Webers on line called the Weber Kettle Club. Lots of great info there, and membership is growing quickly

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Hey dirk, try sawdust in that Amazin' smoker instead of pellets. I think you'll see better results with keeping it lit.

I would definitely recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. Almost set it and forget it temperature control.

#49 7 years ago

I use a $68 22.5 inch kettle. Charcoal > everything else

#50 7 years ago

I've had this one for about 20 years and see no reason to replace it. Cost about $60 if I remember correctly.

Weber (resized).jpgWeber (resized).jpg

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-else-into-weber-grills?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.