Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6532 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7492625_0 (resized).jpg
Mad World maxresdefault (resized).jpg
20230417_105238 (resized).jpg
doh (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

My daughter got me into thrifting. I just missed a few large boxes of oldish baseball cards today (some in protective cases). Anybody else here do it? What have you found?

Here's today's find (worth at least a couple of hundred bucks per completed Ebay listings)...

doh (resized).pngdoh (resized).png
2 months later
#2 1 year ago

I saw this post a while back and darn it I just knew there was something around here that I got from shopping.
The Habitat store had these and the part number isn't the usual but they sure do look like nippy gater solenoids and what the heck if they aren't I'm only out $2 each.

20230417_105238 (resized).jpg20230417_105238 (resized).jpg
#3 1 year ago

I have been for many years. Primarily interested in electronics and media.

#4 1 year ago

I picked up a Fender amp and a Fender Strat from a garage sale.The family was selling junk as they called it for Charity.They wanted 50 bucks each so I gave them 100 bucks each.I was in the first group of buyers to arrive.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Tripredacus:

I have been for many years. Primarily interested in electronics and media.

Retro stuff? Most of the electronics I see in thrift stores around here are pretty crap unfortunately. I find nice stuff on Marketplace though. Was trying to help my kid find a TV and ended up grabbing a Sony A8H 65" OLED for $550 last week. It's dicey transporting them but I haven't broken one yet. I just wish a 77" would fit in my CR-V.

#6 1 year ago

Way back in 2008, I found a Bally, Mad World, in a thrift store just sitting there ignored. It had been marked down several times with no buyers and I got it for $200. It was in great cosmetic condition and after a shop job, I flipped it for $1200.

Good luck finding a deal like that these days. These days it's extremely rare to find them in a thrift store, and when you do, its way over priced and gone within hours.

Mad World maxresdefault (resized).jpgMad World maxresdefault (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

I used to thrift a ton. Thrift stores, pawn shops, garage sales, flea markets, etc.
I mostly was after retro videogames, but knew enough about retro toys and a few other hobbies to keep an eye out for as well.
This was about 10-15 years ago, before everyone had smart phones and looked everything up on ebay. Was also before I had 3 kids and a busier job hahaha.
I have fond memories as a broke university student, waking up really early saturday morning, jumping in my subaru station wagon, and ripping around town on a garage sale map a drew up the night before. Actually those videogame finds funded my eventual dive into the world of pinball, so I have thrifting/garage-saling to thank for funding most of my hobbies.

#8 1 year ago

Yep. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-besides-pins-to-look-out-for-at-estate-yard-sales-to-sell#post-7015247

Garage sales and estate sale that I happen upon that are not advertised online tend to have the best stuff. I take my kids a few times per year and usually have a blast. Best scores have been antique music boxes, warhammer stuff, and video games with boxes.

#9 1 year ago

I used to go a lot too. Looking for cool stuff and especially retro games and consoles. After a while all the games and consoles dried up or got picked over by others or everyone wanted to ask ebay prices for everything so that lost its fun. I'd still go but I realized I was starting to amass just a lot of weird junk that wasn't really doing much but cluttering up my living space. Nowadays, every once in a while I'll venture out to see what treasures are out there, but I try to keep my trips pretty limited. Luckily thrift stores are pretty picked over/full of pure junk nowadays for the most part so it makes it easier to control myself.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Way back in 2008, I found a Bally, Mad World, in a thrift store...

Back around 1997 some folks had a second hand store in the former Western Auto in beautiful downtown Paradise California. They had a Williams LaserCue with a few minor issues that they wanted a few hundred bucks for. We settled on $100 and one of these here soda machines that I had.

Pinside_forum_7492625_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7492625_0 (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Retro stuff? Most of the electronics I see in thrift stores around here are pretty crap unfortunately. I find nice stuff on Marketplace though. Was trying to help my kid find a TV and ended up grabbing a Sony A8H 65" OLED for $550 last week. It's dicey transporting them but I haven't broken one yet. I just wish a 77" would fit in my CR-V.

Things can be crap but still interesting. I am always looking for anything that looks interesting, especially if I don't know what it is exactly. Or weird VCRs. Panel monitors often not a good find at thrift because they put the price label on the screen. I haven't bought an HDTV from a thrift store. I'd go to a pawn shop for anything more modern if I was looking for it. For example I got my AVR from a pawn shop.

8 months later
#12 7 months ago

Just scored these two computers, and thought I could share in this thread. Not sure if these are considered retro yet, but I’m excited to hopefully get them going and play some games from these generations. The boxed blue one needs a new power source, and not sure what I’ll find after that. The white one powers up but is password protected and I don’t have the password sadly. Still, at the price of free, I was super pumped to get them.

IMG_6532 (resized).jpegIMG_6532 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#13 6 months ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Just scored these two computers, and thought I could share in this thread. Not sure if these are considered retro yet, but I’m excited to hopefully get them going and play some games from these generations. The boxed blue one needs a new power source, and not sure what I’ll find after that. The white one powers up but is password protected and I don’t have the password sadly. Still, at the price of free, I was super pumped to get them.
[quoted image]

I remember selling the one on the right new ~30 years ago. I'd call it retro. I bet you can get around the password protection on such old machines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.