maxresdefault (resized).jpg
64026 (resized).jpeg
1E82193E-AF29-49AD-8563-C05AD807FB7B (resized).jpeg
4C4CF73F-1A26-4904-9999-C05DE6F907B1 (resized).jpeg
ED94AD01-76EF-4418-AE95-2FF7ED483389 (resized).jpeg
D6448E66-7B20-4CAC-AD64-E4FFB7AE9D8A (resized).jpeg
38A89098-DA32-4038-9619-52A59B24452F (resized).jpeg
20181029_072235.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider allibaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 5 years ago

Digitally downloaded this one. Figured it would be a long term game with repeatability. I usually buy my games used on disc, then re-sell them after playing through.

Pre-loaded and ready. I think my order said it would be playable for me on 10/25 at 10:00 PM.

#92 5 years ago

Apparently, the story is 60 hours in length.

It's gonna be a good one.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I was kind of bummed out by the thought of (mostly) online Fallout

Ugh. I was super disappointed that Fallout is pretty much mandatory online. I don't play enough to be competitive, and I usually like to go at my own pace. Maybe, eventually, we can do a Pinside group for Fallout. I'm sure most of us are in the same type of group for console gaming.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

Realistic horse balls are the whole reason I’ve purchased this game!

I haven't noticed the balls, but my horse has been doing a lot of shitting.

Glad to see the dev 100 hour work weeks were worth it.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Main complaint at the beginning is that the controls seem unintuitive compared with the last two games I played, Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4.

Yes, the controls feel like they are all over the place. Not intuitive. Will need to spend more time playing to get used to them.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

It’s pretty amazing so far for any of you mulling over it

Overall, great game. I prefer GTA V though. This game is almost too detailed. I have to clean my horse?! Controls and buttons are confusing, too. I keep looking at the corner of the screen to see what buttons I need to press after several hours of play.

Too much long travel. At least in GTA, I can listen to funny radio stations.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m going to play this game in its entirety with pleasure.

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I'm still doing the first area in the snowstorm where you go after the gang and hunt and stuff. Is this just all practice and then the game opens up after that or should I be going out and wandering around here too before missions? I found a mine and buildings while hunting, but it killed me going in there because it said I went out of the hunting zone.

Just get through that part. It doesn't really open up until you set up camp outside Valentine.

#138 5 years ago

I played through the bar scene this morning where you get drunk with Lenny. That had me laughing out loud. Too funny.

Been there a couple times ages ago.

#159 5 years ago

The bounty/law thing is kind of frustrating, in my opinion. You can bump somebody accidentally while on your horse, and all the sudden you have people chasing you and shooting at you. Then you have to pay the bounty or deal with all the non sense almost constantly.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How do you brush your horse? Do I need to buy a brush?
This is like the least gamey video game ever made.

This is what I mentioned early regarding too much detail. The amount of pointless side work is rediculous. I suppose they think it’s “immersive”.

Anyway, you can buy a brush at the stable in Valentine. I got one for free buying a horse there.

#180 5 years ago

I found some gold bars and money. Up to almost $1500. The camp is upgraded for fast travel.

Any tips or recommendations how to spend the money? Good weapons or more camp upgrades?

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Looks like it has to do with the animal size and weapon you use. Found this chart on reddit...
[quoted image]

I’ve been able to get 3-star pelts by using a lasso instead of a gun.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

The clumsy controls have cost me 125 dollars so far.

Not sure how much I've paid out in mistakes so far, but it's been a lot after maybe 10 hours of gameplay.

Game's not a "masterpiece", IMO, but a good game. Actually, it feels closer to a movie than a game, but anyway...

Here's one of my horse control fails this morning:

#217 5 years ago

This one was too funny not to share. Found on Reddit.

"The controls just take a while to get used to."

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9s78eb/my_clip_sums_up_my_whole_time_playing_the/

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I’m probably an hour or two into it and so far pretty blah. Is this a video game or a movie? PS One games and Xbox 360 games you actually played, this is just so cinematic and they focus on movie graphics instead of gameplay.

I laugh at people calling this a masterpiece. It does feel like more of a movie than a game. 80%+ of the game is riding a horse somewhere, either listening to a story or trying to get to a story. When action does start up, the controls are unintuitive and clumsy. The intense shooting scenes can be really frustrating.

Even so, I'm kind of addicted to it. I enjoy hunting legendary animals for perks and finding secret businesses to rob. The story has its moments, but is starting to feel kind of regurgitated after playing 15-20 hours now. I'll finish the game and enjoy it, but it doesn't live up to the hype, in my opinion.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

you can skip all the cut scenes by holding "x" on ps4

It's the horse riding that takes forever, not the cut scenes.

If you're skipping the cut scenes and story, why are you playing? Just to ride horses?

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah and half of those user scores are by people that are pissed off because they cant afford the game or something like that.

I can afford the game and have played through Chapter 4. I think the Metacritic rating is closer to reality than the “Masterpiece” ratings given by the big reviewers.

Like most others have said, it’s almost entirely horse riding with clumsy controls.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I just spent 1/2 hour riding around collecting debt from 3 people, lol. Recommend not doing that mission if possible. At least it's not a follow mission.

I think that mission allows you to upgrade your camp through the ledger. If you upgrade Arthur’s area, it’ll unlock fast travel (only from the camp though). You’ll need some cash for the upgrades.

You have awhile to go in the game.

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I did the mission where the captured O'Driscoll boy leads you to their camp. You kill em all and find like $600 in the chimney.
As I was leaving the feds show up and kill me. Does that mean I lost the money I found?
I don't understand the rules of death in the game.

I’m pretty sure you keep your money. As far as I can tell, when you die, it depletes your health and removes whatever game/pelts your horse was carrying.

#274 5 years ago

I'm really enjoying the Legendary hunting (to get the perks) and leveling through the hunting challenges. I almost enjoy that more than the story modes.

Some of the perks are well worth it.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is that just in the challenges or what?

There's a bunch of legendary animals in the game. If you can find them and hunt them, go to a "Fence" shop and buy the perk using the parts from the legendary animals. Some perks are really good and will help you survive and do better in the game. You can also get really awesome looking gear from the trapper after successfully hunting legendary animals.

I won't post here due for spoilers, but you can google the general locations. A couple of the animals are part of the story and won't be unlocked until you get to that point.

The hunting challenges are different and just require doing certain tasks to level up. The final challenge is a legendary animal.

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

That $600 disappeared on me too.
Are there legendary animal maps?
I lost my damn hat and had to buy a new one!

Map: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9rx8po/list_of_legendary_animal_locations_official_guide/#ampf=undefined

The legendary bull gator and panther aren’t available until later in the game.

You can get your hat back from the horse item menu. There’s also an awesome bear hat at the trapper if you were able to kill the legendary bear at the beginning of the game.

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm running into an issue where there's nothing to do. I have a $300 bounty in the area where the je icon is, and I can't afford to pay it. I don't have any more bounty missions to do either. Not sure what to do here.

Put all of your money in the community box, then go to town and turn yourself in. You'll go to jail, then everything will be clear afterwards.

If you don't put your money in the community box, the sheriff will take it all.

#288 5 years ago

I spent some time on the game over the weekend and just finished the main story tonight. I still have the epilogue chapters.

The story definitely gets better and picks up. It was really enjoyable during Chapter 5 and 6. Great game despite some of the control quirks.

With all the hype around this game, I wonder if there'll ever be a Red Dead Redemption pin or a newer western themed pin? There aren't many out there.

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wow you finished the story huh? How many hours did it take you to complete it?

I still have two epilogue chapters to really finish, but the main story is done. Game story says 75%. Not sure on hours, maybe 50?

I’ve been staying up too late and drinking too much whiskey. Starting to talk like an outlaw.

#296 5 years ago

Just like everyone else in Wyoming

There's still quite a few people around that do talk like Arthur. Funny.

I also like the regions that reference Wyoming in the game. The mountains north of Valentine somewhat resemble the Tetons, Wapiti is an area of Wyoming just East of Yellowstone, the geysers are very Yellowstone, and there's reference to "those boys from Laramie". I went to school in Laramie. A lot of the scenery is reminiscent of the state. It's kind of cool.

#299 5 years ago

A couple generic tips for those early in the story (not that anyone's asking). I wish I did these things.

* Create saves often, at least every chapter! As the story progresses, you can't exactly go back for some things.
* Upgrade your satchel early through leather crafting at your camp. Eventually, as the story changes, you can't really upgrade later. The default satchel limits how much you can carry from looting, buying, and hunting. Upgrades will let you collect and pick up more things.

#306 5 years ago

Finished the story. 61 hours total.

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The game is definitely fun IMO. I have had a couple annoying wanted issues but they haven't detracted from the overall experience.

Whenever you're in town, the speed limit is "trot".

#321 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

You finish the epilogue too? That’s what I’m on. It’s a good story

Yeah, all done. Doing stranger missions and challenges now.

#329 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It almost feels like a David Cage (Heavy Rain) kinda game. Press X to do this, then press L, now tap A... Whatever happened to the good old days of bringing whatever car or rocket launcher is best to complete a mission?
Still remember first level of Goldeneye and there's a locked gate. Instead of roaming around to find a key (like games before) you just shoot it off.
Why have we gone backwards from that?

On some houses that have locked doors, you can blow them in with dynamite.

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Do I leave my horse behind every time I fast travel using a stagecoach or train?
The dumb idiot will then walk the entire map to get back to me, seriously takes 20 minutes.

Your horse will come with you.

If you set a waypoint and go to cinematic mode, the horse will take you to the waypoint automatically. It still takes awhile, but at least you don't have to manage and control the horse. Good opportunity to grab a beer or get some snacks.

#341 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

How does the game play on an original Xbox one hooked to a LG 4K OLED? How about original Xbox one in general?

It looks awesome on the original, but I get a very noticeable frame rate drop when I'm in the towns.

If I had a nice 4K TV, I'd upgrade to the X. Not necessarily for this game, but a lot of games have been enhanced for the X.

#342 5 years ago

I think the law enforcement portion of the game is terrible.

I got pick pocketed of $500 in Saint Denis. Chased the guy down, hog tied him, then had about 20 law officers shooting me trying to get away. Accidentally shot my Arabian horse. So incredibly frustrating!

#345 5 years ago

I had an interesting encounter this morning...

1 week later
#358 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Saw a YouTube video saying there's a bank job early on that solves all the money problems.
How does one reach this? I'd like to pay off my bounties so I don't get ambushed every 5 minutes.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

No doubt. Ive got about 600-700 in bounties i want to pay also but i dont have the money.

This puzzle will get you $1500.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I’m on chapter 3 and so far the game is just ok. Kinda frickin dumb and not very enjoyable cause most of the game is just cinematic BS instead of actually playing. Gone are the days of good gaming, I’d rather be controlling the action instead of great graphics. O well, I prefer pinball anyways!

I kind of felt this way through the first half, but the story picks up soon. It was hard to stop playing it at a point.

#376 5 years ago

I completed the game story and am still thoroughly enjoying it. There's a lot to explore, and I keep finding more hidden and weird stuff that's unexpected. The challenges are fun to chase and can be very difficult.

If you feel like you're just in a movie, try tracking down some treasure maps, getting all the legendary animals, crafting up perks at the Fence store, and running through the challenges. The challenge completions also build up your health, stamina, and dead eye max levels and unlock gear that boosts your player at the Trapper.

Hunting and crafting is cool, too. Explosive and incendiary shotgun shells are something to see!

Press left on the d-pad for all the extra side missions and challenges. There's a lot going on outside of the story, which does pick up in the later chapters.

#397 5 years ago

Selling looted items is much more lucrative that wagons.

Some of that jewelry can be used to craft perks at the Fence.

I remember the gold earrings and silver earrings were hard to find, so don't sell those!

As a general rule, I don't sell things that have "can be used for crafting" in the description.

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

How does it compare to RDR1?

RDR2 is the prequel to RDR1. Some of the characters and lore are in the game. RDR1 is part of the map and some of the buildings that were popular in RDR1 are open or under construction. The detail the devs put in the game to keep it in the same "universe" are impressive.

If you liked RDR1, you'll like RDR2.

#426 5 years ago

Trying to get perfect snake skins is a huge pain

If you’ve made it through Chapter 6, send me a PM. I’ll share a spot with tons of snakes.

You’ll need small game arrows.

#444 5 years ago

The best thing you can do if you’re hunting is to craft the buck antler trinket at the fence. You need to find and kill the legendary buck for this.

It awards you a perk that upgrades the pelt quality by one star for future hunts. So, you can take down a two-star, and when you skin it, it’ll be a three-star.

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I have it, and knew it made it 'easier' to get perfects... but didn't know it would upgrade a 2 star AFTER you spotted it as a 2 star. Thx! I'll give that a try.

It depends how clean your shot is and what weapon you're using, too. Any animal you have to shoot more than once will likely downgrade the pelt to 1-star. For legendary animals, you can go at them with anything, though.

Here's all the trinket perks you can craft at the Fence.

erbgg7yv58v11 (resized).jpgerbgg7yv58v11 (resized).jpg

#451 5 years ago
Quoted from rooky79:

Just a tip, when you get to chapter 5, get some hunting done for Iguanas to get the perfect pelt for the satchel. Otherwise when chapter 5 kicks in, you won't get another chance for a long time

There's islands to the west of Rhodes (out in that bay area) that have tons of iguanas. There's also crabs, and it's the only place I know of for crabs. Crabs are required for one of the Herbalists challenges. That's also a good spot to hunt owls at night.

To get there, you can just ride your horse through the water.

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from rooky79:

You know what, I haven’t checked that part out yet. That’s something I need to do and you just reminded me to take a boat out and have a look.
Thanks mate I’ll stick a marker in it and explore

No boat needed. Your horse can "swim" there pretty easy.

#462 5 years ago

I just shot a 2 star and it didn't upgrade to 3. I'm reading it has a 10-20% chance to increase but not automatic

Yeah, you still need to use the correct weapon and get a clean shot, too.

1 week later
#507 5 years ago

I've achieved 100% completion on the story. More hours than I would like to admit to. I don't recommend it. Some of it is super grindy, very frustrating, and very difficult.

#509 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just want to see the story and play it online some too. Im not a trophy whore so no need for 100% completion. Definitely loving the story so far though.

I started to do the extra stuff before online came out, and I alway felt like "it was only a few more things". It just turned out to be so grindy and time consuming. Had to finish it after I made it so far.

#514 5 years ago

I didn’t do it specifically for an achievement. I just wanted to complete the single player mode to the fullest. There’s some pretty cool moments in there, but it’s not worth the required time.

#518 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Is there a way to see how many hours you've logged This game's UI and menus are pretty confusing.
I kind of wish games had 2 percentage indicators, one for story and the other for everything total. Most games use the latter so you get to the ending around 65%, feels weird.

I think there are two, one for story and one for total. You have to go into the “Total Completion” tile to see that value. The story percentage is printed on the tile (I think?). The menus are weird.

I found total time in the friends comparison area on The Xbox OS. To my knowledge, hours aren’t shown in game.

#525 5 years ago

You had to look online to find all the cave paintings and dino bones didn't you?
I've one found one of each. They are hard to find

Yeah, some of those are so obscure that you'd never ever find them naturally. There's also dreamcatchers and graves that you need to find.

The worst was trying to hunt for a Robin. It was like a cruel joke. Rarest bird in the game by far.

#527 5 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

me too, i just love to spend time in the wilderness and hunt whatever presents itself, so the satchels all came naturally. with exception of the cougar, i've been tracking that one down for like 3 hours.

There's one on the northwest side of the map by the trapper. It's just west of that rocky mountain range. It's hard to avoid and will attack you on the road. Camp, save, and reload, and it will re-spawn.

Bears are up there too. Good hunting.

#531 5 years ago

I started playing some online. Level 9. I have about $700 and $35 in gold (I think). The two currencies are confusing.

What's recommended to buy early in the online game? Both my horse and weapons suck. Should I keep saving for something particular?

#533 5 years ago
Quoted from rooky79:

How the hell have you got $700 and 35 gold bars at level 9? What’s the secret?
First of all get the free Arabian horse and saddle at the stable and put horse insurance on it.
Then start looking at getting the following guns in the order you prefer or need the most:
Shotgun (semi auto is my fave)
Decent rifle and scope (at the start I use a Springfield. Good for hunting and has a reasonable scope until a rolling block can be purchased later for sniping)
Varmint Rifle
Bow
Decent handguns (volcanic pistol my fave)
Don’t forget there’s a free handgun at the fence too.
Then save up to get some winter clothes so you can head up north if you want to. Seems to me not a lot of people have paid out to get winter clothes and the north looks relatively free of grievers

Thanks.

I had a pre-order bonus and pretty much have strictly been doing the missions. There were three cash bonuses for me when I logged in yesterday. Not sure why.

Is the free Arabian at the stable? I looked yesterday, and the Arabian required some rediculous high rank. Or are you talking about taming the white one in the northwest like in the story?

#537 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Rode into Strawberry, bumped into a guy with my horse, he pulls me off it starts punching, I run away, and suddenly 4 cops shooting at me for unarmed assault and a $2.50 bounty?
Yeesh. This game sometimes...

Strawberry and Saint Denis are always really hard to get around in without problems.

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I gave money to a blind guy in St Denis, but turns out he was scamming and can see. Wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do, tried hogtieing him and bringing him to the police for fraud. But that didn’t work.

Aim your weapon at him. It’ll show whether or not he’s telling the truth. Some are, some aren’t.

#542 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Before I gave him the money? Will it affect my morality or trigger police attention. Thanks

Yes, before.

I don’t know about the city. You’ll find that same guy all over the map and can use the same tactic.

1 week later
#560 5 years ago

What rank have you guys made it to online? I'm 24. Kind of getting bored with it.

#573 5 years ago

He starts out by the pond near the St Denis Stable, then follows up north of Annesburg just west of the river. All the way at the top of the map.

#576 5 years ago

Is anyone interested in getting together in a "Posse" online tomorrow? I haven't tried out that mode. Thinking late morning, but I'll need to see how free I am.

Xbox Live ID: "Allibaster J". Send me a PM or friend me if interested.

1 week later
#578 5 years ago

Anyone down for RDR2 online this weekend on Xbox?

Shoot me a PM!

#580 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I tried the online last nite for the first time and didnt find it all that much fun. Am i missing something?

Still not much there yet. About 10 missions and a lot of stranger missions. Taking out hideouts can be enjoyable. I’ve been doing a lot of hunting lately.

Grouping up in a posse and exploring is fun, though.

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah i played a couple missions and im sure they will be adding many many more. The thing that really irked me was i wanted to explore and people kept killing me. Is there anyway to make it so people cant kill me? You can do that in GTA V.

Not really. I usually select a specific server location, then move to another area of the map with less people. The higher rank you have, the better weapons, ammo, and abilities you’ll have to defend yourself. Most of the people causing issues are low rank players.

If you join a posse, you’ll have a team to defend you and help. It’s actually kind of fun if you get a group of players together.

#585 5 years ago

Logging onto RDR2 online tonight. If you’re on Xbox, send me a message.

Tag is “Allibaster J”.

1 month later
#597 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Ok, I'm started RDR2 tonight. I saw tuna_delight mention the companion app for the phone or tablet - anyone else use that? Any early tips for the game?

Companion app is great for online when you're fishing as the map is not shown. You can watch for other players that sneak up behind you. I don't think it's really necessary for story mode.

The biggest thing I'd recommend early in the story is to hunt and craft the upgraded satchels through Pearson in your camp. Carrying extra food and supply is a huge plus.

Hunting legendary animals early and getting the talisman crafting bonuses through the fence also helps a lot. The fence is available halfway though Chapter 2.

Take your time with the story and enjoy it. Try not to rush through it. I did that the first run and am enjoying the second play though significantly more.

If you would like to try out online and have an Xbox, hit me up! snakesnsparklers and I occasionally posse up for missions and shenanigans.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider allibaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-else-excited-about-red-dead-redemption-2?tu=allibaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.