maxresdefault (resized).jpg
64026 (resized).jpeg
1E82193E-AF29-49AD-8563-C05AD807FB7B (resized).jpeg
4C4CF73F-1A26-4904-9999-C05DE6F907B1 (resized).jpeg
ED94AD01-76EF-4418-AE95-2FF7ED483389 (resized).jpeg
D6448E66-7B20-4CAC-AD64-E4FFB7AE9D8A (resized).jpeg
38A89098-DA32-4038-9619-52A59B24452F (resized).jpeg
20181029_072235.jpg

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
#201 5 years ago

I always try and keep a few keepers from previous generation consoles. Red Dead and Undead Nightmare made the cut.

I always found myself wondering around up in the mountains hunting and being mauled by bears

Unfortunately I'm not gaming much anymore and still on last gen console. Maybe when the next round of consoles are released I'll grab a ps4 or Xbox1 and see what the hype is all about

20181029_072235.jpg20181029_072235.jpg
#202 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

My go to will always be COD Modern warfare! Or Jungle Hunt

Excellent choice!! MW3 was the last great COD and every COD since then has been absolute garbage. My 3 boys even agree and they're kids. Lol

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Looks like it has to do with the animal size and weapon you use. Found this chart on reddit...
[quoted image]

I’ve been able to get 3-star pelts by using a lasso instead of a gun.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I’ve been able to get 3-star pelts by using a lasso instead of a gun.

Ah, I should try that. Didn’t even think about the lasso!

#205 5 years ago

The clumsy controls have cost me 125 dollars so far. Pretty much half the time when I try talking to someone, I shoot him first, which is quite fair in the wild wild west, and get a bounty on my head that I need to pay to go back doing what I was trying to do !

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

The clumsy controls have cost me 125 dollars so far.

Not sure how much I've paid out in mistakes so far, but it's been a lot after maybe 10 hours of gameplay.

Game's not a "masterpiece", IMO, but a good game. Actually, it feels closer to a movie than a game, but anyway...

Here's one of my horse control fails this morning:

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

The clumsy controls have cost me 125 dollars so far. Pretty much half the time when I try talking to someone, I shoot him first, which is quite fair in the wild wild west, and get a bounty on my head that I need to pay to go back doing what I was trying to do !

Seems to be the case elsewhere. “Sorry sir can I bother you...BOOM!” Oh my bad

#208 5 years ago

Still trying to wrap my head around the "R2 to pull out gun" thing.

Seems it's intended for quick draw if you're guns aren't equipped. I got in trouble for accidently shooting a dog that way. On the flip side, nobody seems to mind when I murder and skin their farm pigs.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Still trying to wrap my head around the "R2 to pull out gun" thing.
Seems it's intended for quick draw if you're guns aren't equipped. I got in trouble for accidently shooting a dog that way. On the flip side, nobody seems to mind when I murder and skin their farm pigs.

Same, I’ve accidently shot my pistol about 10 times while on my horse, I always equate R2 to going in racing games, just natural feel. I think you can customize the control scheme to change that.

#210 5 years ago

I wish there was a quick setting for the controls: "make the controls like every other game".

The realism is top notch, but honestly they could have cut a bunch of these details out and still had a fun game. I don't need to brush or bathe my horse, or shave, or wear clothes appropriate for the weather.

#211 5 years ago

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one. I tend to play a game every 2 years. Have been watching the gameplay on twitch and it seems pretty interesting. Campaign is about 40 hours? May take me 6 months to finish...gone are the days of spending an entire day on a video game.

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one. I tend to play a game every 2 years. Have been watching the gameplay on twitch and it seems pretty interesting. Campaign is about 40 hours? May take me 6 months to finish...gone are the days of spending an entire day on a video game.

I heard the campaign is 60 hours. The game is really fun and I recommend it for sure.

#213 5 years ago

Turn off autosave! You can just start over after accidentally punching the sheriff’s horse or whatever. Just remember to save your game when you do something cool. The load time on PS4 isn’t very long either. Way shorter than gta

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This game though having a 60 hour campaign will take me like 5 years to complete it probably. Its also getting a little embarrassing standing in line at Gamestop at midnight at 53 years old for a video game.

I am 38 but agree with this. It took me like 5 years to complete RDR (which I LOVED) so this game will probably take me like 10. I still haven't finished GTA 5, Just Cause 3, The Last Guardian, Resident Evil 7 VR, the new God of War and about 7 other games. I frequently buy games and take forever to finish them or just never do. I will buy this. Will I finish it? Who knows? With a full time+ job, other investments, 5 kids, a hot wife, lots of friends and family, lots of hobbies, a LAN, a 35 piece arcade, a big and old house, etc, I just don't have much time left to play these games.

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I would say this...

If you like constant action like a FPS, then this may be a little slow
If you like long cutscenes with a good story and lots of walking, this will be right up your alley

It's fun, but after 2 1/2 hours I'm already switching back to other games in between. Just a lot of following and talking and more talking...it's cinematic and well done, but so far it's a little too much for my tastes. I'm sure I'll finish it but it will probably take me a couple months unless the story really picks up at some point.

#216 5 years ago

Spent some time on it over the weekend and as good as it is I have resigned myself that I'll never have the time to get close to finishing it at least until the new year given other commitments.

#217 5 years ago

This one was too funny not to share. Found on Reddit.

"The controls just take a while to get used to."

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9s78eb/my_clip_sums_up_my_whole_time_playing_the/

#219 5 years ago

They haven't even released the online multiplayer just yet. Here in about two week is when this game will really get interesting

I've always enjoyed the single player but the online version is what really held my attention all those years playing GTAV.

#220 5 years ago

Nearly every time I try to open a door instead I barge in with my shoulder, loudly banging the door open and scaring everyone inside. I guess it's kind of funny but not what I meant to do.

Probably missed out on a reward, but when I saw some prisoner asking me to shoot his chains off I hogtied him and laid him down on the railroad tracks.

#221 5 years ago

I bought and downloaded this last night. Hoping to get some time on it tonight. Never played the first one, and I think I briefly played Red Dead Revolver on the PS2. Guess that isn't really tied to the this story though.

#222 5 years ago

I bought it and paid xtra for the full game and played it for about 2 hours and fell asleep. To me it is just shit to keep you busy. So far there is no strategy or puzzles to solve, its just killing people. Maybe I just don't like video games anymore. Im still waiting for Half Life 3

#223 5 years ago

My son loves this series...he played the first one growing up...now at 15 was/is excited about this one...this will probably be his last Halloween before girls ruin all the fun...so sorry if too many pics but I am proud how spot on we got it...!!! ...and I agree it’s a bit slow going...but I’m more patiently awaiting Online multiplayer...!!!..............Joey

1E82193E-AF29-49AD-8563-C05AD807FB7B (resized).jpeg1E82193E-AF29-49AD-8563-C05AD807FB7B (resized).jpeg38A89098-DA32-4038-9619-52A59B24452F (resized).jpeg38A89098-DA32-4038-9619-52A59B24452F (resized).jpeg4C4CF73F-1A26-4904-9999-C05DE6F907B1 (resized).jpeg4C4CF73F-1A26-4904-9999-C05DE6F907B1 (resized).jpegD6448E66-7B20-4CAC-AD64-E4FFB7AE9D8A (resized).jpegD6448E66-7B20-4CAC-AD64-E4FFB7AE9D8A (resized).jpegED94AD01-76EF-4418-AE95-2FF7ED483389 (resized).jpegED94AD01-76EF-4418-AE95-2FF7ED483389 (resized).jpeg
#224 5 years ago

I’m probably an hour or two into it and so far pretty blah. Is this a video game or a movie? PS One games and Xbox 360 games you actually played, this is just so cinematic and they focus on movie graphics instead of gameplay.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I’m probably an hour or two into it and so far pretty blah. Is this a video game or a movie? PS One games and Xbox 360 games you actually played, this is just so cinematic and they focus on movie graphics instead of gameplay.

I'm 3.5 hours in and it isn't much better yet as far as action goes (story is fine). You spend about 50% of the game following another horse it seems. Start a mission, follow a horse for 5 minutes of yapping.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I laugh at people calling this a masterpiece. It does feel like more of a movie than a game. 80%+ of the game is riding a horse somewhere, either listening to a story or trying to get to a story. When action does start up, the controls are unintuitive and clumsy. The intense shooting scenes can be really frustrating.

Even so, I'm kind of addicted to it. I enjoy hunting legendary animals for perks and finding secret businesses to rob. The story has its moments, but is starting to feel kind of regurgitated after playing 15-20 hours now. I'll finish the game and enjoy it, but it doesn't live up to the hype, in my opinion.

#227 5 years ago

Man I suck at controlling my character effectively (and thus keeping him alive) in big shootouts. Gotta check out my aim assist options more. Hopefully, there's a setting for changing the look of the aiming dot too because I keep losing it against light colored (e.g. snowy) backgrounds.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Man I suck at controlling my character effectively (and thus keeping him alive) in big shoot-outs. Gotta check out my aim assist options more. Hopefully, there's a setting for changing the look of the aiming dot too because I keep losing it against light colored (e.g. snowy) backgrounds.

Same! Doesn’t help I’m colour blind. I rely on the deadeye to aim for me far to often

#229 5 years ago

Making sure the water is the right temperature.

64026 (resized).jpeg64026 (resized).jpeg
#230 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Dang man they want 99.99 for the ultimate edition and the game doesn't even come with it? Lol thats pretty funny!

Ultimate has the game, the collectors box does not.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Making sure the water is the right temperature.
[quoted image]

I've seen several video clips of this scene on the interwebs and the woman's attire has differed in each as far as degree of sexiness.

Does this depend on how much you pay for the bath?

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I've seen several video clips of this scene on the interwebs and the woman's attire has differed in each as far as degree of sexiness.
Does this depend on how much you pay for the bath?

It might depend on the town/hotel you take a bath in. I'm pretty sure the bath with help is a fixed price.

#233 5 years ago

I want to play it, but after reading all the reviews and commentary, I decided I can't be bothered. The game seems like a serious time waster to me and I don't have the time to put into tedious game activities like caring for a horse, bathing, eating, slowly searching for items in a house, etc.

I'm waiting for Just Cause 4. Now that's a wild, fun game series!

#234 5 years ago

I played kaboom last night for an hour and had a blast. I am easy to please.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I want to play it, but after reading all the reviews and commentary, I decided I can't be bothered. The game seems like a serious time waster to me and I don't have the time to put into tedious game activities like caring for a horse, bathing, eating, slowly searching for items in a house, etc.
I'm waiting for Just Cause 4. Now that's a wild, fun game series!

Frankly, it's probably a good idea to hold off. On the IGN unlocked podcast they were talking in the intro about how good the reviews on it were 10/10's, etc then they were all admitting that it was slow and the one lady reviewer fell asleep playing the intro, lol. And that's currently the issue with the game, it's more work and travel than fun a lot of the time.

I'm still playing but it's testing my patience. The Reverend mission last night was awful, lol. Ride 5 minutes to the train station. Spend 3 minutes searching for him. Defend him in a fight. Some witness said he was going to go tell the sheriff so I had to go run him down for a few minutes. Then go all the way back up to the tracks and talk to him. Then haul him back to camp. Like 20 to 30 minutes of total boredom, lol.

#236 5 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed RDR1, but this game sounds like ass.

Brushing horses, hunting varmints, trimming your beard and taking lukewarm baths?

What... no literal chopping wood mini-game, too?

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Brushing horses, hunting varmints, trimming your beard and taking lukewarm baths?

Guys let me tell you something. No offense to the people that dont like the game, but this game is f*cking great. It didnt get such high reviews for no reason, it got them because the game is awesome. You dont have to trim your beard and you dont have to brush your horse because you can ride him through water and he gets clean. In the event though that you need to brush him, it takes like literally ten seconds.

There isnt a game out there that you can’t get on IGN or whatever site and see people talking about how bad it sucks, its just what people do for some reason. Now this game isnt for everyone i am sure but if you liked Red Dead 1 then you will like this game here. The controls are clunky a little bit but thats being over exaggerated also, they arent that bad at all and you get used to the quirks quickly. This game isn’t perfect but not many games are. If you are interested in this game buy it and try it dor yourself and dont listen to the minority that are saying this game sucks.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No offense to the people that dont like the game, but this game is f*cking great.

Lot‘s of negative feedback here, but honestly it seems mostly from people who have played this game little to nothing!

I had my reservations the first few hours (i think the tutorial missions are fantastic, the snow is the most impressive thing i‘ve seen yet in a videogame) mostly because of the controls, but after about 20 hours i can‘t stop playing anymore!
Sounds cheesy but yesterday i was just wandering around for hours taking in the scenery, i found a turtle slowly wandering the shore of a beautiful lake and admired it‘s beauty. I did not have the heart to kill that animal!

Besides i find it fascinating to deepdive in a historic setting so accurately portrayed while playing a game. Gives me the feeling to better understand present american society by experiencing history through this game!

Maybe i’m overthinking but this game is truly special, it evokes emotions and touches me deeply! To master a few control issues and overcome some minor fasttravel chores seems like a very small price to pay for this awesome ride

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Guys let me tell you something. No offense to the people that dont like the game, but this game is f*cking great. It didnt get such high reviews for no reason, it got them because the game is awesome. You dont have to trim your beard and you dont have to brush your horse because you can ride him through water and he gets clean. In the event though that you need to brush him, it takes like literally ten seconds.
There isnt a game out there that you can’t get on IGN or whatever site and see people talking about how bad it sucks, its just what people do for some reason. Now this game isnt for everyone i am sure but if you liked Red Dead 1 then you will like this game here. The controls are clunky a little bit but thats being over exaggerated also, they arent that bad at all and you get used to the quirks quickly. This game isn’t perfect but not many games are. If you are interested in this game buy it and try it dor yourself and dont listen to the minority that are saying this game sucks.

I loved Red Dead 1. The controls don't actually bother me. But the game is boring, at least 4 hours in. At some point maybe you stop doing the "follow everyone for 5 minutes here, more yapping, follow everyone back for 5 minutes" deal, that would be a lot better. The game COULD be awesome with all the commuting cut out and other streamlining. The ratio is just too much watching/following to actually doing something.

Metacritic Xbox One user score is 6.9 right now. It's not just an isolated few. And before you say "that's just metacritic, what do they know?", well the Witcher 3 has a user score of 9.2. So good games are rewarded. Spiderman on PS4, which just came out too? 8.7 user score.

#240 5 years ago

you can skip all the cut scenes by holding "x" on ps4

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

you can skip all the cut scenes by holding "x" on ps4

It's the horse riding that takes forever, not the cut scenes.

If you're skipping the cut scenes and story, why are you playing? Just to ride horses?

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

...this will probably be his last Halloween before girls ruin all the fun...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool costume! Arthur Morgan would be proud.

Don’t worry, girls will make Halloween more fun for him again in a few years They love to dress-up like harlots around age 20

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

Doesn’t help I’m colour blind.

Menu > Settings > Display > Colorblind Mode > [Choose 1 of 3 available modes]

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I loved Red Dead 1. The controls don't actually bother me. But the game is boring, at least 4 hours in. At some point maybe you stop doing the "follow everyone for 5 minutes here, more yapping, follow everyone back for 5 minutes" deal, that would be a lot better. The game COULD be awesome with all the commuting cut out and other streamlining. The ratio is just too much watching/following to actually doing something.
Metacritic Xbox One user score is 6.9 right now. It's not just an isolated few. And before you say "that's just metacritic, what do they know?", well the Witcher 3 has a user score of 9.2. So good games are rewarded. Spiderman on PS4, which just came out too? 8.7 user score.

Yeah and half of those user scores are by people that are pissed off because they cant afford the game or something like that. Come on man you know that dont mean shit. This game just isnt your cup of tea and i can appreciate that, but most people love this game.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

It's funny you say that because, yes, one of the chores at camp (should you choose to do them) is chopping wood.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah and half of those user scores are by people that are pissed off because they cant afford the game or something like that. Come on man you know that dont mean shit. This game just isnt your cup of tea and i can appreciate that, but most people love this game.

I love this game and Im having a blast playing it, but there a lot of tedious aspects placed for the sake of realism that could have been avoided.

All the main quests are guided, follow someone, die if you dont, do what they say, get a cutscene and be left behind on your own after. Its highly repetitive and fairly boring.
Horse rides is the major one there, there are a lot of sidequests I dont take just because I dont want to spend 40 minutes riding.

Then controls are clearly a flaw, it feels like each department worked on its own controls without looking at the big picture.

So yes its a great game and an awesome experience but 10/10 far from it

#247 5 years ago

ahhh took the day off hoping to play some RDR2 but I literally spent my entire day working on pinball.

maybe tonight. That wood isn't going to chop itself.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

So yes its a great game and an awesome experience but 10/10 far from it

But you are still enjoying it and playing it, so that means its a good game and its flaws aren’t that big of a deal.

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah and half of those user scores are by people that are pissed off because they cant afford the game or something like that.

I can afford the game and have played through Chapter 4. I think the Metacritic rating is closer to reality than the “Masterpiece” ratings given by the big reviewers.

Like most others have said, it’s almost entirely horse riding with clumsy controls.

#250 5 years ago

About 10-15 hours into RDR2, and there is no doubt in my mind that Spiderman is a much better game.

RDR2 has some really neat things that keep me just interested enough not to abandon it, but it's not worthy of the 10/10.

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-else-excited-about-red-dead-redemption-2/page/5?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.