maxresdefault (resized).jpg
64026 (resized).jpeg
1E82193E-AF29-49AD-8563-C05AD807FB7B (resized).jpeg
4C4CF73F-1A26-4904-9999-C05DE6F907B1 (resized).jpeg
ED94AD01-76EF-4418-AE95-2FF7ED483389 (resized).jpeg
D6448E66-7B20-4CAC-AD64-E4FFB7AE9D8A (resized).jpeg
38A89098-DA32-4038-9619-52A59B24452F (resized).jpeg
20181029_072235.jpg
There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
#102 5 years ago

Is it worth buying a PS4 for this? I've had pretty much every console in the past however stopped after PS3 since I don't find myself playing as much and spending my free time watching series on netfix. I considered the switch when it came out because I really enjoy Zelda but never got around to getting it. I prefer story style games over online players because if go play call of duty I'll be a newbie and get my ass kicked by people who live on there. Looks like the ps4 bundle comes with this game for free now or I could see what happens to console pricing come black Friday.

#103 5 years ago

One of the reviews said that fast traveling was so slow by the time you rode to the station, bought a ticket, etc. that actually riding there on your horse was just as fast.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Is it worth buying a PS4 for this? I've had pretty much every console in the past however stopped after PS3 since I don't find myself playing as much and spending my free time watching series on netfix. I considered the switch when it came out because I really enjoy Zelda but never got around to getting it. I prefer story style games over online players because if go play call of duty I'll be a newbie and get my ass kicked by people who live on there. Looks like the ps4 bundle comes with this game for free now or I could see what happens to console pricing come black Friday.

Is it worth it for RDR2 alone? Probably not, but the ps4 has a very impressive library of games. I’ve been super happy with many of them. Particularly GOW

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

Is it worth it for RDR2 alone? Probably not, but the ps4 has a very impressive library of games. I’ve been super happy with many of them. Particularly GOW

I haven't even played RDR2 yet, and I'd agree. Don't buy the system for one game.

But...... there have been some incredible games this year. Spiderman, GOW, etc.... Buy a PS4 for all those reasons.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I was so excited for this game, as I really liked the last one. However, the reviews have convinced me not to pick it up because they all said the same thing "10/10 amazing! Also the game is really boring like 50% of the time when traveling and pretty grindy. Best game ever!" Which basically says to me, no one is really saying what they really think on this game overall. The one guy said the story hits a groove like 20 hours in...20 hours in!!! Seriously, who grinds for 20 hours till it actually gets good, lol?
The reviews said it didn't play like the last one and was more like GTA V, which is bad in my opinion, since GTA V's campaign was so boring I was literally falling asleep during it (why do you have to commute between jobs, lol? Like I felt like I was actually driving to work half the time, couldn't stay awake while playing the campaign). I think that's what the reviewers are referencing. Rockstar and their stupid no fast travel thing. That one feature would have saved GTA V for me (and I'm not talking about the stupid calling a taxi and having to wait for it, that is so lame, lol).
Kind of disappointed, was really looking forward to picking this up. It sounds like it got the AC Origins treatment, make a huge world that is so big it takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

It’s just not a game of instant gratification, which makes it better.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is to Fortnight, what Godfather is to Pixels or Hangover Part 3.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

the reviews have convinced me not to pick it up because they all said the same thing "10/10 amazing!

That makes like zero sense lol. This game is 10/10 amazing, just like all the reviewers are saying. I guess its not for everybody, no game is but this game is a masterpiece!

#108 5 years ago

So what’s the consensus for those who have played it so far? I ordered one from eBay but probably won’t get it until next week sometime.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That makes like zero sense lol. This game is 10/10 amazing, just like all the reviewers are saying. I guess its not for everybody, no game is but this game is a masterpiece!

Well, if you read the reviews, most of them say 10/10 but if you were to read the text, you wouldn't think it was 10/10.

Like GTA5 was 10/10 all over...I still feel like I'm missing something. How is driving across town to the clothing shop 'fun', lol. It's not even about instant gratification, it's about bringing in mechanics that other games have done for 10 to 15 years. It's not just Rockstar though, I thought Ubisoft's AC Origins was awful compared to Syndicate, the previous one, but all the reviewers all said Origins was better because now you had to do all this additional hunting and upgrading instead of just playing. I thought they just added like 50% fluff to make the game longer and drag it out.

Like I said, I beat RDR on the 360 and really liked it. I've played all the way through Witcher 3, all the Dragon Age's, all the AC games except 3 and Origins, etc. So I can play long drawn out games with big worlds, I just can't handle it when it's a forced 'commute' every single time. If you couldn't fast travel in the Witcher 3, never would have made it through it.

#110 5 years ago

Giddy up

3DB8DC90-275F-4D3B-A6D5-28DF6D325D42 (resized).jpeg3DB8DC90-275F-4D3B-A6D5-28DF6D325D42 (resized).jpeg
#111 5 years ago

Just picked up a physical copy over my lunch break. Won't get to play much tonight...but tomorrow is looking like a rainy and cold day in PA...perfect for nerding out!

#112 5 years ago

I picked it up at 9:00 from Gamestop last night. Took about an hour to install both game discs, then I started the online update. Let that run overnight and my update was at about 89% when I left work this morning, hopefully tonight I'll be able to give it a try.

#113 5 years ago

Yeesh. Two discs and over an hour to copy them both over. Plus whatever the day one patch is.

Horse ball physics take a lot of code!

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yeesh. Two discs and over an hour to copy them both over. Plus whatever the day one patch is.
Horse ball physics take a lot of code!

Realistic horse balls are the whole reason I’ve purchased this game!

#115 5 years ago

Mine is in the mailbox, probably spending the night on it and a good part of the weekend ! Not my most anticipated game of the year (that goes to Kingdom Hearts 3) but definitely excited about it.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

Realistic horse balls are the whole reason I’ve purchased this game!

I haven't noticed the balls, but my horse has been doing a lot of shitting.

Glad to see the dev 100 hour work weeks were worth it.

#117 5 years ago

Main complaint at the beginning is that the controls seem unintuitive compared with the last two games I played, Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Main complaint at the beginning is that the controls seem unintuitive compared with the last two games I played, Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4.

Yes, the controls feel like they are all over the place. Not intuitive. Will need to spend more time playing to get used to them.

#119 5 years ago

The only issue I have with the RockStar games is way too much time wasted on story. 15min of walking or riding ur horse listening to stories. Then again I have zero patience when playing games.

#120 5 years ago

My physical copy from Amazon for the PS4 did not get here today. Preordered on Monday. Dis sucks...

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

My physical copy from Amazon for the PS4 did not get here today. Preordered on Monday. Dis sucks...

Mine arrived, but I ordered it 2 months ago !

#122 5 years ago

So I've been playing for a little while and I got to the mission where they introduce poker. I just spent the last 45 minutes playing that. It's not even that great as far as poker games are coded. This is why I limit my real life gambling. It's not that I'm bad at cards, I actually did well enough to get by for a year or two while I was unemployed, it's that I just keep playing.

#123 5 years ago

Mine says it’s in transit for delivery today, but today is pretty much over. Dog

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

However, the reviews have convinced me not to pick it up because they all said the same thing "10/10 amazing!

Kind of disappointed, was really looking forward to picking this up.

I might be a little confused since I’ve been playing RD2 and drinking for a few hours, so please bear with me.

But are you saying that you didn’t buy the game because of some 10/10 reviews (after having enjoyed the first one) and are now disappointed?

If so, I’m thinking I should cut back on the booze.....

#125 5 years ago

It’s pretty amazing so far for any of you mulling over it

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I might be a little confused since I’ve been playing RD2 and drinking for a few hours, so please bear with me.
But are you saying that you didn’t buy the game because of some 10/10 reviews (after having enjoyed the first one) and are now disappointed?
If so, I’m thinking I should cut back on the booze.....

No, I'm disappointed because the reviews said it was boring quite a bit of the time. Like this from Kotaku:

"I only rarely found Red Dead 2 to be “fun” in the way I find many other video games to be fun. The physical act of playing is rarely pleasurable on its own. It is often tiring and cumbersome, though no less thrilling for it. No in-game activity approaches the tactilely pleasing acts of firing a space-rifle in Destiny, axing a demon in God of War, or jumping on goombas in Super Mario Bros. Red Dead 2 continues Rockstar’s longstanding rejection of the notions that input response should be snappy, that control schemes should be empowering and intuitive, and that animation systems should favor player input over believable on-screen action."

I'm waiting for other people on this forum to judge it, rather than people that couldn't possibly give it anything but the highest score. It was just disappointing to read the reviews and find out that my chief concern of GTA 5 (poor/no fast travel, turning it into Grand Theft Commute) is still there in RDR2. Reddit makes it sound like the first three hours in the tutorial are so boring that some people won't even it make it through it, lol.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

It’s pretty amazing so far for any of you mulling over it

Overall, great game. I prefer GTA V though. This game is almost too detailed. I have to clean my horse?! Controls and buttons are confusing, too. I keep looking at the corner of the screen to see what buttons I need to press after several hours of play.

Too much long travel. At least in GTA, I can listen to funny radio stations.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m going to play this game in its entirety with pleasure.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Well, if you read the reviews, most of them say 10/10 but if you were to read the text, you wouldn't think it was 10/10.
Like GTA5 was 10/10 all over...I still feel like I'm missing something.

It’s hard to describe some of the more special parts of the game, like the emergent gameplay, in a written review. It doesn’t help that many online game reviewers are not great at capturing the most interesting things in games.

Marginal gameplay mechanics spoiler, but illustrates some of what’s great:

A few hours into the game I wondered onto a rancher’s property. I was looking to loot some stuff, like you do in every other game, but as I approached the house he came barreling out the front door and told me to scram. I dawdled for too long because I didn’t realize what was going on, so he drew his pistol. I tried to walk away, but was too slow and he unloaded at me. I swung around and dropped him. As I approached his body I noticed his cowboy hat in the mud next to his body. I walked up to it and picked it up. You can collect rare hats! Cool.

Flash forward a few hours later, I’m in a saloon brawl and need to power through a few guys to save a friend. As I’m knocking one guy out his hat falls on the ground. I decide it’d be funny to pick it up and put it on in the middle of the fight. Over the sounds of shattering glass, breaking chairs, and fighting I hear a guy way back in the crowd yell at me “NEVER WEAR ANOTHER MAN’S HAT!”

Emergent scenarios like these play out all the time because there are so many systems at play. It’s ridiculous.

Anyway, 10/10.

#129 5 years ago

why do they have the button next to pause button on controller(xbox) as camera angle changes when every game known to man uses that as a map button,do i really have to push pause then map everytime i want to look at the map?and the crouch button on left stick sucks too.p.s. i thought the game was boring and the player moved like the player does in gears of war 4, SLOW.one second your allowed to run next youve gotta walk like a snail

#130 5 years ago

This game sounds to me like what Westworld patrons pay big money for.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

No, I'm disappointed because the reviews said it was boring quite a bit of the time. Like this from Kotaku:
"I only rarely found Red Dead 2 to be “fun” in the way I find many other video games to be fun. The physical act of playing is rarely pleasurable on its own. It is often tiring and cumbersome, though no less thrilling for it. No in-game activity approaches the tactilely pleasing acts of firing a space-rifle in Destiny, axing a demon in God of War, or jumping on goombas in Super Mario Bros. Red Dead 2 continues Rockstar’s longstanding rejection of the notions that input response should be snappy, that control schemes should be empowering and intuitive, and that animation systems should favor player input over believable on-screen action."
I'm waiting for other people on this forum to judge it, rather than people that couldn't possibly give it anything but the highest score. It was just disappointing to read the reviews and find out that my chief concern of GTA 5 (poor/no fast travel, turning it into Grand Theft Commute) is still there in RDR2. Reddit makes it sound like the first three hours in the tutorial are so boring that some people won't even it make it through it, lol.

That guy is full if shit! He complains about GTA V also, another masterpiece of a game. This game is awesome Taylor believe me. I cant stop playing it.

#132 5 years ago

For any person / reviewer that complain the movement is slow and clunky, if anything it makes it far more realistic. That movement with the detailed open world make it incredibly immersive

#133 5 years ago

I'm still doing the first area in the snowstorm where you go after the gang and hunt and stuff. Is this just all practice and then the game opens up after that or should I be going out and wandering around here too before missions? I found a mine and buildings while hunting, but it killed me going in there because it said I went out of the hunting zone.

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I'm still doing the first area in the snowstorm where you go after the gang and hunt and stuff. Is this just all practice and then the game opens up after that or should I be going out and wandering around here too before missions? I found a mine and buildings while hunting, but it killed me going in there because it said I went out of the hunting zone.

Just get through that part. It doesn't really open up until you set up camp outside Valentine.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It’s interesting you say that, the creators of West world actually credit the original red dead redemption as inspiration and used it as a study on how to create the world of West world. I remember watching a behind the scenes piece after one of the episodes last season where they talked about the influence of red dead redemption

#136 5 years ago

I like the open world, and being able to wander off for smaller side quests. Though I did punch my horse by mistake a few times while trying to get the hang of the controls. Pretty fun game so far, and if it takes someone 65 hours to finish it'll probably take me 150.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I like the open world, and being able to wander off for smaller side quests. Though I did punch my horse by mistake a few times while trying to get the hang of the controls. Pretty fun game so far, and if it takes someone 65 hours to finish it'll probably take me 150.

Lol man your post sounds like me to a T. I punch my horse and fire my gun on accident alot. I pre ordered the game and was supposed to get the war horse for pre ordering but i cant fund it?

#138 5 years ago

I played through the bar scene this morning where you get drunk with Lenny. That had me laughing out loud. Too funny.

Been there a couple times ages ago.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol man your post sounds like me to a T. I punch my horse and fire my gun on accident alot. I pre ordered the game and was supposed to get the war horse for pre ordering but i cant fund it?

You can get the horse at the stable in Valentine. I got mine during a mission where you have to sell a horse

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Haha me too. I've accidentally fired my gun so many times, I get why some people say the control scheme is a little clunky.

#141 5 years ago

Is it worth upgrading from an Xbox one s. To an Xbox one X if you only have 1080p ? GameStop’s tradein deal is pretty good at the moment.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yep - closest thing to it currently.

Any of you guys using the phone app while you're playing? LOTS of info, but text is so tiny. Still trying to sync it up with the game.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yep - closest thing to it currently.
Any of you guys using the phone app while you're playing? LOTS of info, but text is so tiny. Still trying to sync it up with the game.

I tried the phone app, text is too small. Tablet might be better.

I do prefer not seeing the map all the time (feels like you’re on GPS auto pilot), so I use the compass instead.

I do switch to the onscreen map during gunfights though. The aiming system is so bad that it’s annoying as hell when you don’t know where the enemies are shooting from.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Is it worth upgrading from an Xbox one s. To an Xbox one X if you only have 1080p ? GameStop’s tradein deal is pretty good at the moment.

It would give you a framerate boost. The XB1X is a rock solid 30FPS while the base XB1 and PS4 can dip into the mid 20's.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It would give you a framerate boost. The XB1X is a rock solid 30FPS while the base XB1 and PS4 can dip into the mid 20's.

What about upgrading from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro? Would it be a noticable difference when playing RDR2??

-Dan

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

What about upgrading from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro? Would it be a noticable difference when playing RDR2??
-Dan

#147 5 years ago

I own the first one and frankly couldn’t get into it??? Maybe it was just the Western theme or that it starts off slow. After two days of playing, I put the game out to pasture. My favorite games are Uncharted series and God Of War series.

#148 5 years ago

Ok, I want to buy a ticket to Westworld. Just ordered a PS4Pro for Christmas.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Anonymouse:

You can get the horse at the stable in Valentine. I got mine during a mission where you have to sell a horse

Thanks, i will look for it.

#150 5 years ago

I cant get into Blackwater at all because i have a bounty there. Every time i try to go there i get my ass kicked by the bounty bunters or the law or whatever the hell they are. I dont have the money to pay my bounty so im not sure what to do?

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-else-excited-about-red-dead-redemption-2/page/3?hl=wolfemaaan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.