maxresdefault (resized).jpg
64026 (resized).jpeg
1E82193E-AF29-49AD-8563-C05AD807FB7B (resized).jpeg
4C4CF73F-1A26-4904-9999-C05DE6F907B1 (resized).jpeg
ED94AD01-76EF-4418-AE95-2FF7ED483389 (resized).jpeg
D6448E66-7B20-4CAC-AD64-E4FFB7AE9D8A (resized).jpeg
38A89098-DA32-4038-9619-52A59B24452F (resized).jpeg
20181029_072235.jpg

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
#551 5 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Every gamer forum search I've done says PS4, and there's no red Arabian option for me to buy at the stables. Just a black and a white, and I can't access either.
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/a199l4/if_you_are_playing_in_a_ps4_remember_to_claim/

Fair enough,

The grizzly outfit has been unlocked for Xbox now. Not sure if it’s free or not

Arabian horses are shit anyway. Good for speed but they spook too easily

#552 5 years ago

Rockstar was unable to restore some of my missing horses. They told me I would have to restart my game if I wanted to potentially get around the bug.

Fuck that.

#553 5 years ago

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

I just finished the game. For those who have, why did Dutch (after shooting Micah) walk away leaving all of the Blackwater money? I have a theory, but it seems like such an odd ending for what RDR1's storyline is.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

#554 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
I just finished the game. For those who have, why did Dutch (after shooting Micah) walk away leaving all of the Blackwater money? I have a theory, but it seems like such an odd ending for what RDR1's storyline is.
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

Really wish people wouldn’t do SPOILER ALERTs ever

#555 5 years ago
Quoted from rooky79:

Really wish people wouldn’t do SPOILER ALERTs ever

Then don't read it. It's very easy to ignore. Would you rather I not warn you?

#556 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Then don't read it. It's very easy to ignore. Would you rather I not warn you?

Barely a warning was it. Two lines of SPOILER ALERT then straight into it.

Most people at least hit enter 20 times before doing it.

Here’s a thought, how about just don’t bother doing it full stop?

#557 5 years ago
Quoted from rooky79:

Barely a warning was it. Two lines of SPOILER ALERT then straight into it.
Most people at least hit enter 20 times before doing it.
Here’s a thought, how about just don’t bother doing it full stop?

So you read "SPOILER ALERT" once, then twice, then keep reading? Geez buddy, time for some reading comprehension classes.

#558 5 years ago

I didn’t say I read it giffard. I said I wish people wouldn’t do SPOILER ALERTS ever.

Geez buddy, time for some reading comprehension classes.

#559 5 years ago

Bah Humbug...!!!............Joey

#560 5 years ago

What rank have you guys made it to online? I'm 24. Kind of getting bored with it.

#561 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

What rank have you guys made it to online? I'm 24. Kind of getting bored with it.

Think I made it up to around 10 before I called it a day.

I’m waiting on the heist, homestead buying and passive mode update before I carry on

#562 5 years ago

I just finished the game as well. Originally, I was thinking the game was about 6 to 7 with all the pointless riding and boredom between action. As the story got going, my rating got higher and higher, probably up to an 8.5. Then the last chapter ending + prologue brought it right back down to a 6 or 7. That prologue is SO boring, lol, like the most boring part of the entire game. And pointless on top of that. It was like "you want an ending? Then here's 5 more hours of boredom before you can see it".

Did I have fun? Absolutely. Could the 50 hour game been a 20 hour game without losing anything? Absolutely. It was all the forced travel that basically made the game long, not the actually mission action. I timed one of my rides after an average mission back to camp, 8 1/2 minutes. 8 1/2 minutes of nothing when all other games allow you to fast travel right back.

It's a shame that a game that is otherwise pretty good is undone by unnecessary things. That and plain ridiculousness at times. The game is so bipolar on stuff. It makes you ride everywhere, eat, sleep, etc to be realistic. Then you get into a battle where you have to mow down 60 men by yourself, then while you're running away people are appearing on all sides of you as if everyone had walkie-talkies, lol.

One thing I can mention is that upgrades aren't really needed. I did zero upgrades to anything on me (I did do the full camp upgrade). Almost no side missions after they kept causing me to get bounties. Never really spent any money except to get horse reviver, which is one of the biggest pains if you get ambushed far from town (time to run across the county for 20 minutes to buy some in town).

If anyone wants my copy, $40 shipped, Xbox One. It's going on ebay shortly.

#563 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I just finished the game as well. Originally, I was thinking the game was about 6 to 7 with all the pointless riding and boredom between action. As the story got going, my rating got higher and higher, probably up to an 8.5. Then the last chapter ending + prologue brought it right back down to a 6 or 7. That prologue is SO boring, lol, like the most boring part of the entire game. And pointless on top of that. It was like "you want an ending? Then here's 5 more hours of boredom before you can see it".
Did I have fun? Absolutely. Could the 50 hour game been a 20 hour game without losing anything? Absolutely. It was all the forced travel that basically made the game long, not the actually mission action. I timed one of my rides after an average mission back to camp, 8 1/2 minutes. 8 1/2 minutes of nothing when all other games allow you to fast travel right back.
It's a shame that a game that is otherwise pretty good is undone by unnecessary things. That and plain ridiculousness at times. The game is so bipolar on stuff. It makes you ride everywhere, eat, sleep, etc to be realistic. Then you get into a battle where you have to mow down 60 men by yourself, then while you're running away people are appearing on all sides of you as if everyone had walkie-talkies, lol.
One thing I can mention is that upgrades aren't really needed. I did zero upgrades to anything on me (I did do the full camp upgrade). Almost no side missions after they kept causing me to get bounties. Never really spent any money except to get horse reviver, which is one of the biggest pains if you get ambushed far from town (time to run across the county for 20 minutes to buy some in town).
If anyone wants my copy, $40 shipped, Xbox One. It's going on ebay shortly.

You skip most of the game... then comment how where all that action you skipped.. was pointless. That's because you skipped it all...

In a lot of ways the main missions are some of the more boring as it's more on rails. The side missions and exploration is where most of the open play is

#564 5 years ago

In games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim (and to a lesser extent Fallout 4) you'd wander around and finds LOADS of things to do.

In RDR2 there's very little "emergent gameplay" outside of the main missions. Which are all the same (ride X miles shoot 100 baddies get ambushed on way back)

I found a railroad section being built by Chinese and sure enough the foreman had a quest!... It involved following a guy to a tree and yelling at him. Yahoo.

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

In RDR2 there's very little "emergent gameplay" outside of the main missions. Which are all the same (ride X miles shoot 100 baddies get ambushed on way back)

I think you all just aren't finding them. Besides the 'hunt for landmarks' type of missions... there are all kinds of 'rescue the guy/girl from situation' type missions... ride along missions... rob the various stage coach missions..

I'm just happy I'm finding some use for the tesla lab I discovered ages ago now.. curious to see where that story line ends up.

#566 5 years ago

I've been riding around a lot. Found the Tesla Wardencylfe building too.

So is it true you don't even goto Fake Texas until the epilogue? Which is basically the map from the previous game?

#567 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You skip most of the game... then comment how where all that action you skipped.. was pointless.

What the heck are you talking about? You can't skip anything, lol. That's the problem, you have to do every inch of walking or riding. I did all the main missions and a few side missions. Completing the main game is not "skipping most of the game". Seriously dude.

#568 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

What the heck are you talking about? You can't skip anything, lol. That's the problem, you have to do every inch of walking or riding. I did all the main missions and a few side missions. Completing the main game is not "skipping most of the game". Seriously dude.

It is... the main missions are just a small portion of the game play. If you just run from yellow mission to the next... and ignore everyone else that tries to grab your attention along the way.. you miss the bulk of the activities.

#569 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I've been riding around a lot. Found the Tesla Wardencylfe building too.

In chap4 if you interject with the professor preparing for a demonstration in st denis you start the sequence that leads to it actually being used.

#570 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

In chap4 if you interject with the professor preparing for a demonstration in st denis you start the sequence that leads to it actually being used.

Is that the same kooky guy in Annesburg who gives you a book?

#571 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

No he’s a fella down by a pond if I remember trying to get investors in his remote control boats

Or is it the electric chair and the pond thing is after?

I can’t remember now, seems like such a long time ago lol

With the Tesla lab, there were only a couple of pointless missions unless I’ve done something wrong. Let me know how you get on, I’d be keen to know if I’ve missed something

#572 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

No, you find him playing near a small pond in the west side of St Denis trying to attract investors.

There is another professor you meet near the north east side of St Denis who is trying to build an electric chair device.

You also find someone trying to make a human frankenstein somewhere between Van Dorn and Annabelle.. but I've not worked out how that one plays out yet.

#573 5 years ago

He starts out by the pond near the St Denis Stable, then follows up north of Annesburg just west of the river. All the way at the top of the map.

#574 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I found a railroad section being built by Chinese and sure enough the foreman had a quest!... It involved following a guy to a tree and yelling at him. Yahoo.

You're soft. I killed him and robbed him too

#575 5 years ago

OK I did the remote control boat lake thing and met Fake Tesla (after finding his building way up north that I couldn't enter)

Also did the electric chair mission but it glitched - the scientist got stuck on his wagon wheel. I tried loading a save but couldn't watch the execution... So I watched on YouTube.

My biggest takeaway with this game is awe with just how much money it must have cost to develop.

#576 5 years ago

Is anyone interested in getting together in a "Posse" online tomorrow? I haven't tried out that mode. Thinking late morning, but I'll need to see how free I am.

Xbox Live ID: "Allibaster J". Send me a PM or friend me if interested.

#577 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Is anyone interested in getting together in a "Posse" online tomorrow? I haven't tried out that mode. Thinking late morning, but I'll need to see how free I am.
Xbox Live ID: "Allibaster J". Send me a PM or friend me if interested.

I would’ve been well keen for that mate but PS4 here

1 week later
#578 5 years ago

Anyone down for RDR2 online this weekend on Xbox?

Shoot me a PM!

#579 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Anyone down for RDR2 online this weekend on Xbox?
Shoot me a PM!

I tried the online last nite for the first time and didnt find it all that much fun. Am i missing something?

#580 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I tried the online last nite for the first time and didnt find it all that much fun. Am i missing something?

Still not much there yet. About 10 missions and a lot of stranger missions. Taking out hideouts can be enjoyable. I’ve been doing a lot of hunting lately.

Grouping up in a posse and exploring is fun, though.

#581 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Still not much there yet. About 10 missions and a lot of stranger missions. Taking out hideouts can be enjoyable. I’ve been doing a lot of hunting lately.
Grouping up in a posse and exploring is fun, though.

Yeah i played a couple missions and im sure they will be adding many many more. The thing that really irked me was i wanted to explore and people kept killing me. Is there anyway to make it so people cant kill me? You can do that in GTA V.

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah i played a couple missions and im sure they will be adding many many more. The thing that really irked me was i wanted to explore and people kept killing me. Is there anyway to make it so people cant kill me? You can do that in GTA V.

Not really. I usually select a specific server location, then move to another area of the map with less people. The higher rank you have, the better weapons, ammo, and abilities you’ll have to defend yourself. Most of the people causing issues are low rank players.

If you join a posse, you’ll have a team to defend you and help. It’s actually kind of fun if you get a group of players together.

#583 5 years ago

Yup, there's currently no way to play in any kind of safe mode. You can set your camp to white flag so players can't kill you there, but that doesn't even work if your camp happens to be where non-player enemy gangs spawn. I was just below Valentine cooking in my camp when a gang magically showed up, killed my horse at my camp horse station, killed Cripps (it cost me $4 to revive him,) and killed me a few times before I was able to get out of the wide open field and behind a tree to get a weapon out.

I actually quit playing for awhile because it seems like the "lasso the blonde chick and drag her around" game is super fun for assholes, and one guy even brought some bodies into my camp, threw them on my fire, then sat and waited for me to leave the safety of the camp perimeter so he could kill me. I've been reporting extreme players like that, but don't know if it does any good. Switching servers is about the best bet at this point.

#584 5 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Yup, there's currently no way to play in any kind of safe mode. You can set your camp to white flag so players can't kill you there, but that doesn't even work if your camp happens to be where non-player enemy gangs spawn. I was just below Valentine cooking in my camp when a gang magically showed up, killed my horse at my camp horse station, killed Cripps (it cost me $4 to revive him,) and killed me a few times before I was able to get out of the wide open field and behind a tree to get a weapon out.
I actually quit playing for awhile because it seems like the "lasso the blonde chick and drag her around" game is super fun for assholes, and one guy even brought some bodies into my camp, threw them on my fire, then sat and waited for me to leave the safety of the camp perimeter so he could kill me. I've been reporting extreme players like that, but don't know if it does any good. Switching servers is about the best bet at this point.

Well that's definitely not nice lol. I played a little GTA V last nite online. I think i may start playing that game some more because that is a pretty great game in every way. I dont think Red Dead could ever be as good as GTA is online.

#585 5 years ago

Logging onto RDR2 online tonight. If you’re on Xbox, send me a message.

Tag is “Allibaster J”.

#586 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Logging onto RDR2 online tonight. If you’re on Xbox, send me a message.
Tag is “Allibaster J”.

Im on PS4 or i would.

#587 5 years ago

I played about 6 hrs of rdr2 and to be honest i didnt enjoy it. I appreciate all the detail etc but i hated bumping into a stranger and either be arrested or in a shoot out.
When shooting in a mission i felt i was limited in how to carry it out. Open world but not open when in combat.
Also manually searching drawers, horse riding forever got tiresome fast.

I enjoyed far cry 5 more, even though the detail is a lot less, but you had a lot more freedom in a mission.

My opinion only, good luck to those who enjoy it.

#588 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I played about 6 hrs of rdr2 and to be honest i didnt enjoy it. I appreciate all the detail etc but i hated bumping into a stranger and either be arrested or in a shoot out.
When shooting in a mission i felt i was limited in how to carry it out. Open world but not open when in combat.
Also manually searching drawers, horse riding forever got tiresome fast.
I enjoyed far cry 5 more, even though the detail is a lot less, but you had a lot more freedom in a mission.
My opinion only, good luck to those who enjoy it.

That's essentially why this game has been 50% love it, 50% meh. The 50% who love it are running around doing random things unrelated to the story line and aren't bothered by the paint by numbers mission mechanics which contradict the open world nature of the game. The 50% who are 'meh' on the game are people trying to play through the game's story missions and don't care about exploring, which really makes the game feel like it came out 10 years ago with forced travel, forced slow walking speeds, etc.

I listened to a lot of 'Game of the year podcasts' and none of them had Red Dead number one. All the panels were split, with a couple people loving it, and a couple people hating it. Like I said in my earlier post, it's a 20 hour game forced to be 50 to 60 hours with all the awful travel systems. Like a few small tweaks would turn the game around for the most part.

#589 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I listened to a lot of 'Game of the year podcasts' and none of them had Red Dead number one

What was their #1?

#590 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Far cry 5 was awesome. Can't wait for the next one this year.

#591 5 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

What was their #1?

I think in the two I remember, Tetris Effect and Celeste. Giant Bomb's list was:

Best Game

Tetris Effect
Dead Cells
God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Into the Breach
Return of the Obra Dinn
Marvel's Spider-Man
Hitman 2
Monster Hunter: World
Dragon Ball FighterZ

Ironically this was their other list:
Most Disappointing

*Sea of Thieves
Fallout 76
Red Dead Redemption 2

1 week later
#592 5 years ago

I finished story mode this past week... 88.5% completion on the first pass through. I found the epilogue pretty boring myself... not much side activity.

While this game certainly has its flaws... I think it will be remembered as a milestone game in terms of the openworld games and production depth. The amount of stuff they had in this game was just unreal. Really got my money's worth.

#593 5 years ago

Anyone getting Resident Evil 2 later this month?

#594 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Anyone getting Resident Evil 2 later this month?

Yes Sir! Come on over the the Playstation thread and talk about it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-playstation-thread

1 month later
#595 5 years ago

Ok, I'm started RDR2 tonight. I saw Tuna_Delight mention the companion app for the phone or tablet - anyone else use that? Any early tips for the game?

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Ok, I'm started RDR2 tonight. I saw tuna_delight mention the companion app for the phone or tablet - anyone else use that? Any early tips for the game?

Depends if you want to play honourably or an outlaw

If honourable:

Get a varmint rifle, and craft small game arrows and upgraded arrows for perfect pelts.

Do the legendary animal hunt for the trinket that gets you a better chance of perfect pelts. I did all the legendary animals because the talisman are great (most anyway)

Help people along the road. There are snake bite victims and people trapped in bear traps. Help them and then when you go to a general store or gunsmith, they give you any item in the catalogue for free so use it well.

I upgraded my camp ASAP to get the fast travel, but you can only fast travel out and not back to camp ( bit shit really).

Enjoy the ride. If going to a mission, you see all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, so don't be in a hurry to get there else you miss all the neat stuff. Especially at night (KKK anyone?).

Keep you and the horse fed and watered. What I did, especially in the early stages of the game is go out for a couple of days and stock up on meat, feathers and herbs, sat down and just crafted/cooked it all to save money.

Loot...... Everyone you kill..... Especially at the early stages. You'll save cash on bullets and get stuff to sell.

Do the treasure maps to start getting some gold bars, there are also loads hidden about and there are some online vids for that if you find yourself short of cash.

With guns, keep them maintained either through gun oil or at the gunsmith. Put all the rifling and sights etc on them but everything else is just cosmetic, so when low on money, save it for more needed stuff. You can come back to that later. Also there are some accessories in the back of the gunsmith catalogue. Get them. They are very handy to have.

Keep the camp supplies up and then you have access to plenty of ammo, meds and food.

As for horses, everyone has their favourite, but for me the Turkoman was the best. A cross between a war horse and an Arabian, so it doesn't get spooked too easily in fights and run away and also has a high gallop speed. There is a free Arabian horse in the NW of the map in the snow that you can tame.

If you do rob a train that can be a lucrative haul, try to stop the train either in the tunnel up in the north or on the bridge I think it's around Rhodes but can't remember so could be wrong. That way the cops can't get you and gives you plenty of time to rob the people, kill them, then loot them for double cash and blow the safes. You can earn around $300-$500 each train rob.

Not sure what else on the top of my head other than enjoy it and take your time with it. Definitely not a game that wants you to rush through. The skinning animals animation, forced slow walking in camps and things like that did my head in and you'll find that if you bump into someone, it can give you a wanted level so be wary.

I can't wait for some DLC for this.

Have fun!

Oh and P.S. Solve the serial killer mystery. It was heaps of fun

And yes I used the companion app on the ipad. I was using it as a map, set way points etc. Its a good app. Chews the battery though so use it plugged in

#597 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Ok, I'm started RDR2 tonight. I saw tuna_delight mention the companion app for the phone or tablet - anyone else use that? Any early tips for the game?

Companion app is great for online when you're fishing as the map is not shown. You can watch for other players that sneak up behind you. I don't think it's really necessary for story mode.

The biggest thing I'd recommend early in the story is to hunt and craft the upgraded satchels through Pearson in your camp. Carrying extra food and supply is a huge plus.

Hunting legendary animals early and getting the talisman crafting bonuses through the fence also helps a lot. The fence is available halfway though Chapter 2.

Take your time with the story and enjoy it. Try not to rush through it. I did that the first run and am enjoying the second play though significantly more.

If you would like to try out online and have an Xbox, hit me up! snakesnsparklers and I occasionally posse up for missions and shenanigans.

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-else-excited-about-red-dead-redemption-2/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.