Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Luppin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3795f1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    stern_williams (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luppin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 7 years ago

+1 for humor not being an important factor. A B/W fan here! Anyway I cannot care less for fun callouts after ten games. My biggest mistake in pinball was believing the hype for "humoresque callouts" in RFM. Sold that shitty pin (pin???) after 3 days: felt so light and clean after selling it.
    I see also that people often refer to b/w mainly talking about wpc95 titles. I think many pre wpc95 are better.
    About Sterns: in general i do not like most of the licensed pins, and basically all Sterns. No characther and plastic feel.

#101 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

This guy gets it. The longer you are in this hobby the more you understand there is no perfect machine/era/label.

That's obvious. I hope nobody here believe that all single titles by one brand are superior to any single titles of another brand. We are talking considering the average quality. Agreed, every brand produced some good stuff. But I think its more a discussion about "feel" here, otherwise it would be better to discuss individual titles. What is feel? Difficult to describe, but I think its a very subjective thing: a mix of nostalgia, look, type of build, themes, music, etc. Not really an objective judjement of pure gameplay then. The thing is that in pinball pure gameplay is not exactly the same as fun. All the other elements creating the "feel" are also an important part of the overall enjoyment of a machine. Having said that, in the long run some machines have more lasting power than others: better to listen to the opinion of (unbiased) people with long experience.

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That list means less than nothing if that's actually possible. do you know what the highest rated album of 2016 was?

The top100 ranking is totally fake and manipulated. Firstly because its simply about people rating high their own machines. The more they paid, the more they lie. Secondly, instead of looking to the ranking position, check the scores. It goes from 8.8 to 6.8 from #1 to #300. From #1 to #50 there is a spread of less than 1 point!! (0.9). From #51 to #100 there is a gap of 0.3 point!! And even smaller difference from #100 to #300. So it means that all owners rate very high their own machines. Also, there are comments and pure votes. Votes are hidden, but are the majority. Manipulation (hopefully not from the insiders, just a joke of course) could be easily applied, in order to create a kind of believable and presentable ranking.

Considering that theme and feel plays a big role in the subjective appreciation of a machine, I do not think a random 8.8 machine is necessarily better than a 7.8 machine. The difference of just 1 point is not much at all. But its the difference between #1 (MM) and #67 (Batman).

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Couldn't have said it better. The only thing I would add is that the top 50 has a higher noob vote factor (<5 years) which only adds to misconceptions...those are the ones who USUALLY think that pinball was invented by BW in 1991.

Correct. So if you factor this in, basically all machines end up with extremely similar scores. Mathematically there will always be a #1, but with those tiny spreads it does not make sense.
    So how it comes that MM, TZ... (a TZ owner here, looove it, and speaking against my interest) still have a tiny advantage over the others, giving the ranking a "common sense" perception? How it comes Big Lebowski perfectly lands at 8.82 after only 17 votes? Aahhh mysteries, mysteries....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luppin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-else-bored-of-bw-dmds-pins?tu=Luppin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.