3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Luppin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3795f1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    stern_williams (resized).jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

Compared to the new Sterns and their rules, B/W pins of the 90's are soooo boring to me and far too easy.

Anyone else feel the same?

#2 3 years ago

B/W games are themes that are spot on, the rules might be a bit simpler... but the games are 100% complete.

Can't say that about sterns

#3 3 years ago

But the Stern games that are complete are waay better. Theme doesn't matter to me as I can't stand Game of Thrones but I absolutely love the pinball and ruleset!

#4 3 years ago

I think you should change your name to Stern_Fan

#5 3 years ago

The B/W pins certainly have their place. I think many of them have charm, character and humor that Stern or JJP haven't been able to match. For some, I'm sure there is a strong nostalgic factor, too.

Personally, I'm ecstatic to get any new pin in my home. I enjoy the appearance, light show, sound design, and rules the each designer has implemented. However, after a lot of gameplay, the excitement tends to wear off a bit more on the B/W pins than the newer ones. It comes down to the rules for me. Some of the stuff JJP is doing is incredible and is very good at pulling me back in over the long term. I definitely think the newer games are much better suited for home use than the 90's B/W games in small collections.

Most recently, I've been putting a lot of time on WoZ. The ruleset and progression on it is incredible. At this point, I rarely turn on my Scared Stiff. When I do, I'm mostly bored. I almost want the game to be over so I can go get back on my WoZ!

Anyway, it's just one of those subjective things. I can see both sides, but, for me, I think I'm leaning more towards the newer stuff for the rules alone.

#6 3 years ago

10 of the top 15 pins are B/W.....

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Compared to the new Sterns and their rules, B/W pins of the 90's are soooo boring to me and far too easy.

No.

In fact, just yesterday I was talking to Eskaybee about this, and I told him that I wanted to add another B/W pin to my lineup. Reasons include the fact that Stern pins do tend to feel very similar, while B/W pins seemed to have more diversity (obviously there are B/W pins that are similar too). Also, many of the B/W pins just have more "personality" to them vs many of the Stern pins, often with more humor. Not to mention a much better overall track record when it comes to artwork.

And while the B/W pins might not have the depth as the newer Sterns, the code on a lot of the B/W pins is something that I often prefer depending on the mood that I am in. Pins like AFM, MB, MM, TAF all have a fun, fairly easy to understand rulesets, with just enough nuance that it still takes you awhile to learn everything).

Some Stern pins have rules/code that is so deep and nuanced that I will never understand all that there is to learn. Some find this refreshing, but I can find it frustrating at times.

#8 3 years ago

No. Not at all. Have a nice day.

#9 3 years ago

no

#10 3 years ago

Yes. Can't understand the appeal of most of them at all

#11 3 years ago

Actually I have been moving from Sterns back to B/W games.

B/W games are fun, have humor, and most are not too easy for the average player.

FT
    WH20
    AFM
    MB
    CV
    MM
    NGG
    BSD
    SC

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I think you should change your name to Stern_Fan

Would love to change my handle on here but can't find to do it anywhere!

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Yes. Can't understand the appeal of most of them at all

AMEN!

#14 3 years ago

The stuff that drives the collecting hobby for so many folks. When properly setup, some of the best games around even today. So I guess that would be "no" then.

#15 3 years ago

At this point I have owned pretty much all of the 90s Williams and I'm bored with them. Sure AFM and Whitewater are still fun, but I would rather spend the money on a newer Stern that I haven't owned. They are more fun to me and much deeper, so they hold my interest longer. Not to mention they are more reliable.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

No.
    In fact, just yesterday I was talking to Eskaybee about this, and I told him that I wanted to add another B/W pin to my lineup. Reasons include the fact that Stern pins do tend to feel very similar, while B/W pins seemed to have more diversity (obviously there are B/W pins that are similar too). Also, many of the B/W pins just have more "personality" to them vs many of the Stern pins, often with more humor. Not to mention a much better overall track record when it comes to artwork.
    And while the B/W pins might not have the depth as the newer Sterns, the code on a lot of the B/W pins is something that I often prefer depending on the mood that I am in. Pins like AFM, MB, MM, TAF all have a fun, fairly easy to understand rulesets, with just enough nuance that it still takes you awhile to learn everything).
    Some Stern pins have rules/code that is so deep and nuanced that I will never understand all that there is to learn. Some find this refreshing, but I can find it frustrating at times.

I think the key word in that is 'personality'; and that's what a lot of sterns (not all) are missing. I still love and prefer sterns, But deep rules aren't always better. Breadth is the spice of life and that's what B/W rulesets do so well. Simple but intriguing.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Nope got rid of the so called best stern pins to get b/w pins and cldnt be happier. Rules are just one part of the equation on a pin and to me b/w are the best all around pins and the most fun to play. Yea stern has deep rules but not many have the skills to even c half the game modes. I perfer the b/w set up very difficult as it offers plenty of a challenge and the possibility of seeing alot of the game without playing for 20-30 minutes a game. Just my opinion but theres a reason they are so popular and the prices continue to go up. People really enjoy them over stern pins as far as i can tell. I think a good mix of both in a collection is best.

#18 3 years ago

I think he was being sarcastic,if you look at his collection?

#19 3 years ago

You can sell me your CFTBL cheap since you don't like B/W games. Got $1000 ready. Hate to overpay.

#20 3 years ago

How could I ever get bored with Bram Stroker's Dracula or Dirty Harry? IMO there's nothing from the last 10 years to replace them.

#21 3 years ago

I got bored with Dirty Harry years ago and sold it. Regretting it now.

#22 3 years ago

nope-deep appreciation for B/W and in rotation any day of the week!!

..and still enjoy incandescent bulbs in them too.

#23 3 years ago

Heck, there are some system 11 and classic Bally and Sterns that are more fun to play than some of the latest fare.

#24 3 years ago

Hell no..

#25 3 years ago

I'm just wondering if the new Stern pins actually come with a pinball....Seems hard to follow the pinball due to the super brite leds--and where did the ball go?--well, it went under the playfield, it will come up somewhere, sometime, maybe after you watch a DMD skit. For some though its a good thing that ramps deliver the ball right to the flipper for you. I'll take a fun and challenging EM anytime.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

No.

It's probably evident from everything I post that I love the modern Sterns. However I also love my classic Ballys, Gottleib EMs... and yes, I even enjoy a FEW 90s BW pins! I'm currently playing tons of Fathom, Centaur II, and WPT while the rest of my lineup sits lonely.

Humour is often something people point to as a strong point in the golden era pins... I couldn't disagree more. SOME of those callouts are indeed funny, but not the 5th time, and certainly not the 50th, or 500th time!?!

I'm fully with the Op here. Give me MET Pre, TWD Pre, XMle ALL DAY over MM, AFM, AFG etc. Switch things up with a couple of games of Fast Draw or Stars, and I'm one happy pinballer.

You had to know people were going to jump down your throats here Op, but I'm with you 100%!!

#27 3 years ago

Besides the blinding lites, if they ever came out with a decent theme on one of these newer game, that might be a step in the right direction.
    I can't stand there for 45 minutes trying to complete something I care nothing about.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

I'm just wondering if the new Stern pins actually come with a pinball....Seems hard to follow the pinball due to the super brite leds--and where did the ball go?--well, it went under the playfield, it will come up somewhere, sometime, maybe after you watch a DMD skit. For some though its a good thing that ramps deliver the ball right to the flipper for you. I'll take a fun and challenging EM anytime.

"You kids turn down that noisy rock and roll garbage!!!" Waves newspaper above head in threatening manner.

I Kid. I love my EMs too. Everything you need to know is often literally painted on the play-field. Challenging, fast. It's pure pinball. I think every collection over 5 machines should have one to remind people who crappy they are at some simple flipper skills!

All pinball is good, people. So much, and so many to choose from.

The best pinball machine is the world is the one you just got running 100% in your house. It could be TWDle, or Jungle Queen. Bring it on!

#29 3 years ago

Okay,you are going down hard on your opinion,but it is actually quite simple:

The b/w pins are build to collect money on location,the rulesheet is just deep enough to get lured back in( hey,come back,spend a quarter,you were nearly there man!? ).
    In a home use set up the games are just not deep enough.

But absolutely nothing beats the allround code,feel and humor of a bally,it makes people smile..
    They are collectible masterpieces and very desiarable nowerdays for that reason.

But these days the home use market is waaay bigger than it used to be and pins need to be deeper for that reason.
    We always hated Stern,but lately Stern really focusses on making games that are a blast to play in a home use situation.

Every friday we flip on all machines and the only ones we play are gble,gotle and acdc luci.

I was a stern hater,but they won me over...still don't feel the soul of these machines,but we are getting there..

#30 3 years ago

3 Years ago I got bored and sold all my B/w and got all Stern's , so glad
    I did .

#31 3 years ago

Too many great ones to get bored. I prefer the BW but like all of the new manufacturers recent games and will buy pins pushing technology as well.

#32 3 years ago

Some WPC are better than others. Some have better themes, layouts, code, artwork, etc.

I can enjoy a 20-30-year-old WPC game as much as a brand new game fresh from the factory. New games are always welcome, though.

I enjoy variety, and probably would get bored if I was limited to only one or two games.

#33 3 years ago

Yes. They are all terrible. Everyone liquidate at fire sale prices immediately.

#34 3 years ago

I like pinball

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Would love to change my handle on here but can't find to do it anywhere!

Contact Pinside founder, Robin, to request a name change..

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhi:

Contact Pinside founder, Robin, to request a name change..

Thanks

#37 3 years ago

Yep, B/W unlicensed original themes really pale in comparison to today's original themes.

#38 3 years ago

Not at all. The new games are just new. Sure, not all B/W games are created equal, but if I was playing AFM for the first time, it would be at least as engaging as any new release. Looking at AFM next to TWD, you can't even tell there are 20 years between the two. Go in the other direction and you are comparing EMs to AFM. The code and, in some cases, the lighting are a step up on most newer games, but its not nearly a night and day difference.

#39 3 years ago

We've been playing B/W for 20+ years and most people still love playing an overwhelming majority of them. They are tried and true. Let's see if Stern's recent good pins are still getting the love in another 15-20 years like B/W pins have.

Stern hasn't had many good pins out of 45+ pins since the turn of the century. Granted, there were some lean years with low budgets and Stern has been putting out some good pins lately. Quality and complete code are really lacking though lately. No ghosting on my ToM or JB that sit on both sides of GBLE.

Quoted from HoneyBadger:

But the Stern games that are complete are waay better.

Unfortunately, that's not many to choose from.

#40 3 years ago

they are what they are
    they were the best that were built during the '90s

it is now twenty years later, game should be better, deeper, different now

but I like 35yo Bally's

#41 3 years ago

I don't play my B/W games as much anymore - but I don't think they're boring. They're phenomenally designed, built, and programmed. They're everything they need to be. I know going into a game of MB that it's not going to be deep like Metallica...but that doesn't make it any less fun. The shots, toys, music, light shows, and rules are still enjoyable.

#42 3 years ago

Nope. Love the feel of the table and the heart in the games from the 90s. Heck, like O-din said the System-11 games have more feeling. Diner, Taxi, Whirlwind with no license have more feeling than anything in the past 10 years.

New games are sterile. If they were unlicensed they would be the same game over and over again. Playing in competition? Get a multiball. Big plastic toy? Well if you paid the extra $2K there is a magnet in front of it. Don't worry, there is no subway to confuse you by playing games with ball location but there are pops that will probably lead to a SDTM. Did I mention the extra money for version? Are you missing features from you pro or did you over pay for a Premium? Oh, I see, it is a status symbol you are going to try and sell for more so you got an LE.

Can I play them and do I? Of course, I like most pinball. But I love taking a new pinball fanboys to the woodshed by hitting them with the "old and slow" stuff they can't control. (an understand without having to take a class)

Oh, did I mention price? If the old B/W game has a high price tag it is because it earned it over the year. It went up in value because people want it and it is time tested.

Oh, my favorite game is a Stern. LOTR so it is not like I am a total hater.

#43 3 years ago

well B/W pins have better video modes and that is all that matters to me

#44 3 years ago

It's Bally Williams and then there's everything else.

#45 3 years ago

Add poll or start a new thread.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Love the feel of the table and the heart in the games from the 90s. Heck, like O-din said the System-11 games have more feeling. Diner, Taxi, Whirlwind with no license have more feeling than anything in the past 10 years.

I just got my Earthshaker back together and back in the line-up so I may be a little biased.

"It's sunny drive time"

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Humour is often something people point to as a strong point in the golden era pins... I couldn't disagree more. SOME of those callouts are indeed funny, but not the 5th time, and certainly not the 50th, or 500th time!?!

I couldn't disagree with your disagreement more!

Seriously, I always said during the several years that I owned pins like MM and AFM that I *never* got tired of the humorous call outs in those pins! And I'm still not tired of them to this day.

Callouts like "We must build an Atomic Blaster!" from AFM and "Not now, I have a headache" from MM are just classics that I love. Not because they are "laugh out loud" funny, but because they bring a smile to my face every time. And I didn't even pick the best callouts to use as examples!

Let's compare the callouts in many of those great B/W pins to modern Sterns, and it doesn't come out very well for Stern. I love my TWD, but try comparing the callouts of the redneck character in that pin to most of the B/W pins? Sorry man, no competition in that area.

You would have to go back many years to get to Stern's that had good callouts, with LOTR being the obvious example of a pin that can lay claim to some of the best callouts in all of pinball. Too bad Stern can't still give us that kind of quality.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I just got my Earthshaker back together and back in the line-up so I may be a little biased.
    "It's sunny drive time"

Oh I understand. I wanted either a Whirlwind or Earthshaker. Very similar games in a mirror image kind of way. And I know WW tends to get more love. But with the lower run I picked up the ES when it came up for sale. I even have a spare set of ramps if I get ambitious. One of the few games where I like a shaker (it makes sense for this title).

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I wanted either a Whirlwind or Earthshaker. Very similar games in a mirror image kind of way.

I had both at the same time, but Earthshaker won out. It's been down for a while, but now that it is back up with all new ramps and plastics and running I am so happy. I'm oblivious to all this Williams hate.

Now I gotta get ready for guests as they like my Williams games from 1948- 1995. Without Williams this hobby would be very bland. I like my 80s Ballys too. Throw in a couple old Gottliebs and my one Stern.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

since i've played them all so much, they are not as exciting as stuff I havn't put that much time on, but that's about it. if you don't play it for awhile, it becomes fun again. All games are like that. If they get boring. Don't play them for a long time and all of a sudden you will renew the fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.00
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.95
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 24.63
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside