Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Luppin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3795f1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    stern_williams (resized).jpg
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Theme doesn't matter to me as I can't stand Game of Thrones but I absolutely love the pinball and ruleset!

I definitely agree with this. The only GoT I've ever seen was when some little girl got burned at the stake and I was like, nope, my constitution is too delicate for this.

But the pinball rocks!

#52 7 years ago

All the old classics the best games made the games that just keep going up in value and the games that made modern pinball what is today ! Ya an absolute yawn fest I'm kinda get bored just thinking about it . I'm going for a nap ! What a joke !

#53 7 years ago

I wonder what Sam Stern and Harry Williams would have to say about this discussion.

stern_williams (resized).jpgstern_williams (resized).jpg

#54 7 years ago

I've gone back to binging on my BW pins lately

For me, I love my Stern pins and can play them a long time without getting bored. Deep. Had a long run on my TWDLE

Nothing similar about RS, WH2O and NBAFB. Fun times

EMs are in my future

#55 7 years ago

My shadow seems more deep than my TF does. So that's not always the case.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Compared to the new Sterns and their rules, B/W pins of the 90's are soooo boring to me and far too easy.
    Anyone else feel the same?

I do not feel the same, but that is cool... different strokes for different folks.

Are you by chance selling any of your boring old games? Looking at your collection you have atleast 5 I would like to buy.
    Please PM me if interested. Given the current US dollar, maybe we can work out a deal for 5 or more and then you will have some funds to go buy some newer titles.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Not at all. The new games are just new. Sure, not all B/W games are created equal, but if I was playing AFM for the first time, it would be at least as engaging as any new release. Looking at AFM next to TWD, you can't even tell there are 20 years between the two. Go in the other direction and you are comparing EMs to AFM. The code and, in some cases, the lighting are a step up on most newer games, but its not nearly a night and day difference.

My brother played AFM for the first time at Expo 2015. He came over to me afterwards and he said, "that's a fun game!" No matter how old certain games are they will still be fun.

I hear all the time that B/W code is complete and that's true for the most part but there are still a few games that feel incomplete or have bugs. Junkyard always felt incomplete to me and games like Whodunnit and BSD have bugs in the code.

#58 7 years ago

Got rid of all my BW games and have a full Stern line up. Been collecting for 20 years about and needed to keep it fresh

#59 7 years ago

B/W pins have always sucked.....tons of quarters out of me...

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Agreed. They drove prices on route up and almost made the hobby unaffordable. I remember seeing the price card on Elvira and the Party Monsters going up to $0.75 and almost freaked.

At least now I can learn those deep rule-sets (hopefully) at home now on games like Batman 66 SLE for the low cost of $15,000 with a movie and first born. It not about the money its about quality pinball.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Would love to change my handle on here but can't find to do it anywhere!

PM Robin.

#62 7 years ago

I always read comments by BW apologists to see howlong they have been in the hobby. It is almost always less than 4 years. Hard to find hobbiests who have been around 15 years+ who fall for the BW-only bullshit.

#63 7 years ago

I have incomplete code on my machine. We didn't mind to much, just wait till he quits talking.

IMG_2402 (resized).JPGIMG_2402 (resized).JPG

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Every nickel and dime too.

#65 7 years ago

You can thank Premier Gottlieb for that one. I like the game myself.

3795f1 (resized).jpg3795f1 (resized).jpg

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Compared to the new Sterns and their rules, B/W pins of the 90's are soooo boring to me and far too easy.
    Anyone else feel the same?

I find it a shame I can only downvote this once.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

At this point I have owned pretty much all of the 90s Williams and I'm bored with them. Sure AFM and Whitewater are still fun, but I would rather spend the money on a newer Stern that I haven't owned. They are more fun to me and much deeper, so they hold my interest longer. Not to mention they are more reliable.

That is too funny. I just sold two of my all time favorites (scared stiff and cftbl) and now my only two Williams games are afm and wh20. Great minds think alike
    I will always love funhouse, fishtales, lots of them. But when space isn't unlimited I have found that I just have to get my teeth and move on. If I had the space, hardly any would have ever left.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

10 of the top 15 pins are B/W.....

And only one of the remaining 5 is more than 5 years old... I'd bet that in 5 more years, there will still be the same 10 B/W machines in the top 15, and the all but maybe one of those other 5 will have fallen out in favor of the latest flavor of the week.

#69 7 years ago

+1 for humor not being an important factor. A B/W fan here! Anyway I cannot care less for fun callouts after ten games. My biggest mistake in pinball was believing the hype for "humoresque callouts" in RFM. Sold that shitty pin (pin???) after 3 days: felt so light and clean after selling it.
    I see also that people often refer to b/w mainly talking about wpc95 titles. I think many pre wpc95 are better.
    About Sterns: in general i do not like most of the licensed pins, and basically all Sterns. No characther and plastic feel.

#70 7 years ago

Why limit yourself to one era or brand ? EM, 80's SS , SYS 11 , 90's B/W & modern pinball , I don't discriminate.

#71 7 years ago

I love my Stern titles but...there is still something so nostalgic and pure about playing my B/W titles. Although I don't spend as much time on my TAFG & IJ as I used to; when I do, they are still such a blast. Not to mention my wife and kids love both those titles. They never sit idle for long.

I was fortunate to have recently located a stunning MB and am trading my ACDC premium into this title. I thought I would never tire of ACDC but eventually it's just fun to mix things up a bit. When I sold my first Monster Bash, I always regretted it.

IMO, both Stern and B/W make some fantastic games. Pinball rocks and I'm glad to be part of this awesome hobby.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from JMK:

I love my Stern titles but...there is still something so nostalgic and pure about playing my B/W titles. Although I don't spend as much time on my TAFG & IJ as I used to; when I do, they are still such a blast. Not to mention my wife and kids love both those titles. They never sit idle for long.
    I was fortunate to have recently located a stunning MB and am trading my ACDC premium into this title. I thought I would never tire of ACDC but eventually it's just fun to mix things up a bit. When I sold my first Monster Bash, I always regretted it.
    IMO, both Stern and B/W make some fantastic games. Pinball rocks and I'm glad to be part of this awesome hobby.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Just an observation... it looks like you have 47 pins in your collection and unless I missed something, only 1 of them is a Sterns game from the last decade. I'm wondering if your feelings aren't just an expression of wanting what you don't have? Or perhaps you only spend a few bucks onsite on the newer stern games and they feel fresh to you. I am only suggesting a couple theories of course, because I know nothing about your playing habits.

In any case, I'm not sold on newer sterns yet, but might consider a bm66 as my first nib Stern if they can get the ruleset complete fairly quickly. And figure out some quality control issues that seem to be popping up in recent titles.

#74 7 years ago

Yes. I mean they are damn fun but for me there's no longevity there and for the most part the jokey happy cartoon style gets old real fast, Sterns last longer but not much so its not a B/W hate its just the 80's stuff appeals to me more, quick games and simple but cool rules, like Ice said in a earlier post I think for the first time since I started collecting EM's are in my future.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Just an observation... it looks like you have 47 pins in your collection and unless I missed something, only 1 of them is a Sterns game from the last decade. I'm wondering if your feelings aren't just an expression of wanting what you don't have?

Man are you way off, he has owned or currently owns just about every game out there.

#76 7 years ago

Lighting, sound and LCD matter

I like getting blinded by my GBLE

#77 7 years ago

Nope.... I love all of mine!

#78 7 years ago

Nothing boring about any pinball. Pure fun. Church is boring. Listening to my wife talk about her day is boring. But pinball in no form is it never not boring!!! Williams stern gottlieb bally all rock. Merry Christmas!!

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Just an observation... it looks like you have 47 pins in your collection and unless I missed something, only 1 of them is a Sterns game from the last decade. I'm wondering if your feelings aren't just an expression of wanting what you don't have? Or perhaps you only spend a few bucks onsite on the newer stern games and they feel fresh to you. I am only suggesting a couple theories of course, because I know nothing about your playing habits.
    In any case, I'm not sold on newer sterns yet, but might consider a bm66 as my first nib Stern if they can get the ruleset complete fairly quickly. And figure out some quality control issues that seem to be popping up in recent titles.

I have many newer Stern titles, I just choose not to post my entire collection on pinside because I would be here for a while.

#80 7 years ago

No

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Listening to my wife talk about her day is boring.

Uhhh, I am telling!!

#82 7 years ago

Not bored at all with B/W pins they have character and are built like work horses.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

I have many newer Stern titles, I just choose not to post my entire collection on pinside because I would be here for a while.

Noted... was just opining a few thoughts on a Sat night based on my observations. Can't see what's not on here I guess. Sorry for the wild guess.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Man are you way off...

Point taken.

#85 7 years ago

I haven't played any of the most recent Stern games, but the few that I have played since B/W closed up shop just felt...bland.

It just boils down to personal taste. I would like to get my hands on a JJP machine and see how they feel...

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Noted... was just opining a few thoughts on a Sat night based on my observations. Can't see what's not on here I guess. Sorry for the wild guess.

It's all good, I appreciate the discussion.

#87 7 years ago

I think it depends on how many you have room for. I love the new Sterns and if I only had room for 3-5 games it would probably be all Stern games. But since I have room, I have a real appreciation for the B/W titles.

As someone who works on a lot of games I also have a greater appreciation of the QUALITY that B/W games have. I work on one of those and say that game was BUILT. You click the playfield up on a JD and you feel like you're moving something big. You lift a Stern playfield you're trying not to have it fly off the track and into the cabinet.

I think if you play any 1-2 games constantly they will get old.

Games that make you smile, giving Elvira multiple jackpots, Rudy taunting you, Sparky frying, engage you have no manufacturer boundaries. They are just great games.

#88 7 years ago

I will go to my TZ or TAF, and they're all I'll play for a MONTH.....callouts and pure fun on TAF are pretty much unmatched, and TZ is what it is, best stop and go in pinball....variety is the key....I can think of other games that I enjoy, a lot...but zero that could take the place of these classics....

#89 7 years ago

No offense to the OP but B/W titles are the ones keeping me in this hobby. As said by other people Stern games are low on magic but high on price.

#90 7 years ago

I like pretty much all of the machines out there. I find that Bally Williams have for the most part excellent rule sets that are plenty deep to keep me interested.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I think he was being sarcastic,if you look at his collection?

Exactly what I was going to say. He has what? One maybe two that I could see when looking really REALLY quick?

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

I will certainly take some of those older titles of your hands.
    Let me know if you need a list of the ones I want.
    Love buying in bulk

#93 7 years ago

Saying that "90s games are boring because the rules are lacking compared to the new Sterns" is like saying "EMs are boring because compared to 90s games, their rules are lacking." We're talking about a 20 year difference for each comparison. Each generation of games is a product of their time, and really can only be compared to themselves. And given that, I don't think EMs are boring either. They're an era of some of the most colorful, creative, fun, and expressive games.

That being said; no. I'm not bored of B/W DMD pins. Like the electromechanical era before it, I think they're among the most creative and diverse set of games, bursting with character and soul. No offense to newer Sterns (and this is something I try not to hold against them), but a lot of the expression and soul is sucked away by contractual obligations to make a game look and feel a certain way due to licensing.

#94 7 years ago

These days I even find most SS and some EM's more intriguing than some B/W DMD's and system 11.

#95 7 years ago

I like them all...Including data East, Sega and gottlieb

#96 7 years ago

I once had a roommate who was some quadruple black diamond amazing skier. He was envious of me because I struggled to get down even intermediate slopes. Why ? Skiing had gotten boring to him because he was too darn good at it and he'd be down a hill in under 2 minutes. There is not a single pinball EM, SS,DMD in my collection I am bored with. And I like Stern too. If you mix up the variety of pins you play, and never get so good at them (perhaps ineptitude is a good thing), they stay interesting. And with some of my EMs it's almost impossible to get good at them as they have the random element essentially built in with very short ball plays no matter who is playing them.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I once had a roommate who was some quadruple black diamond amazing skier. He was envious of me because I struggled to get down even intermediate slopes. Why ? Skiing had gotten boring to him because he was too darn good at it and he'd be down a hill in under 2 minutes. There is not a single pinball EM, SS,DMD in my collection I am bored with. And I like Stern too. If you mix up the variety of pins you play, and never get so good at them (perhaps ineptitude is a good thing), they stay interesting. And with some of my EMs it's almost impossible to get good at them as they have the random element essentially built in with very short ball plays no matter who is playing them.

Is that why I suck at pinball? I have to much diversity in my collection?

#98 7 years ago

I like pinball. This topic is boring though

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

I guess that's why I led with "unless I missed something".

and that's why I posted "ur way off" because you did miss something

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

I like them all...Including data East, Sega and gottlieb

This guy gets it. The longer you are in this hobby the more you understand there is no perfect machine/era/label.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-else-bored-of-bw-dmds-pins/page/2?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.