image-919.jpg
image-790.jpg
Ski Jump play field.jpg
Ski Jump back glass 005.jpg
Aerobatics play field.jpg
Aerobatics back glass.jpg
zaccaria 007.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I came across a 1977 Zaccaria Combat about a year ago and finally got it fully operational. This is by far the fastest, most challenging, EM machine I've owned. This put me on a mission to acquire the other 2 1977 Zaccaria 4 player machines. I'm proud to say I now have all 3. I got the Circus minus the back glass, which was a challenge to find. I think I got the only original Circus back glass available on the planet from a guy who bought it at an art store. I'm almost finished with the last one, the Universe, which was by far the biggest challenge yet. Everything in it looks like new but pretty much everything in it that moves needed some sort of work. There's not much info out there on these great machines, but pretty much everything there is I now know about. Interested to know if anyone else out there has any of these machines and what they think.

#2 9 years ago

Here are some pictures, the one between the Combat and the Circus is my 1st pin, 1973 Bally Champ. zaccaria 002.jpgzaccaria 002.jpgzaccaria 003.jpgzaccaria 003.jpgzaccaria 007.jpgzaccaria 007.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Congrats!
I am more into SS Generation 2 zaccarias, but I heard lots of positive comments on these EM. Combat and circus are relatively common here, but Universe is not! No indication of production numbers in IPDB. No one has a clue?

#4 9 years ago

I would LOVE to own all the gen2 machines. I have been searching for a zac Time Machine longer than any other machine. I watch youtube vids of it all the time, it's hypnotic with the sounds.

They are such a vivid splash from that era.

#5 9 years ago

Nice! I just bought a Time Machine back to life. I still have work to do but its a hard yet fun pin. ~SpOoKy

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Nice! I just bought a Time Machine back to life. I still have work to do but its a hard yet fun pin. ~Spooky

You sound like someone that wants to sell a pin to me

#7 9 years ago

Haha! Yeah but it isn't right yet. I love Zaccaria pins. Looking to add Farfalla or Robot next.~SpOoKy

#8 9 years ago

I wish...

#9 9 years ago

Had a few of the single players over the years. Very bright & colorful play fields which last very well. Some nice themes and well designed games. Some weird ones as well. Some decent cabinet art, which was unusual on EM pins, Very popular over here in the UK, at the time. Basically the EM games are Williams inside, all the coils, steppers, score units, relays, score motor, most things are Williams. The first couple of games actually had Williams on the apron, changing to the triple Z apron a bit later. The three Z's were for the three Zaccaria brothers, who owned the company. The pops are the same design as late Gottlieb EM which will fit, though the art differs on the Z capped ones, others have designs that are close enough to allow Gottlieb ones to be substituted, unless it has to be totally original. Early games had a chime box which was the same design as a Gottlieb one. The electronic sound cards on later games, which also make the Biri Biri at 4 million, are very difficult to find. The one on Combat has an extra board to produce the explosions as the game is played. The later games also had an electronic card to make the pop bumpers and some other lighting flash, to give higher scores.There is a lot of info' on www.zaccariapinball.com, including many schematics, plastic scans and wiring diagrams for the sound card.
Some of the art was by Lorenzo Rimondini and he signed some back glasses, on the tail of Concorde on the Supersonic back glass, for example. It was common for two different back glasses to be used during production. I know there were two versions of Supersonic and Moon Shot, and probably others.
All in all, they're not at all bad games to own and play. As well built as US games, with better play field protection, better clear coat is the reason for that.

#10 9 years ago

I bought a Soccer Kings years ago broken but in pristine cond. All it needed was a cap on the power supply. It still works great to this day. Fun machine but not as cool as time machine.

Rob

#11 9 years ago

Just got these. They'll come up real nice with a bit of effort. Play fields are excellent, hardly a mark. Perfect inserts and key lines. Aerobatics back glass is perfect, Ski Jump needs a few touch ups, only minor. Cabinets are very nice. The Aerobatics is RAF Red Arrows themed, great for the UK. I wish they'd have put the bird on the Ski Jump p/f instead of the bloke. Bad choice in my opinion.
Aerobatics back glass.jpgAerobatics back glass.jpgAerobatics play field.jpgAerobatics play field.jpgSki Jump back glass 005.jpgSki Jump back glass 005.jpgSki Jump play field.jpgSki Jump play field.jpg

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Fun machine but not as cool as Time Machine.

I need this machine, seriously.

#13 9 years ago

I have an Earth Wind Fire.

image-79.jpgimage-79.jpgimage-919.jpgimage-919.jpgimage-790.jpgimage-790.jpg

#14 9 years ago

I've got a MINT Combat, other than a missing lock on the back box door it's flawless.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-newest-addition-combat-zaccaria-1977

Love the EM plus the SS sound combo, really interesting.

#15 9 years ago

That Combat is in superb condition, as you say, MINT. Does it have the Biri Biri at 400,000?

#16 9 years ago

Played a Circus at a UK expo last yr. Missus adored it and I was also a fan. Really nice collection!
Took me a while to realise, (as it was very noisy there!) that the electronic sounds were coming from it. Very cool.

#17 9 years ago

Those are some cool games. A refreshing departure from the usual stuff. Played that "Ski Jump" a few years ago at the Allentown show. It's got great artwork and is a snappy player as well. Love the curves on that ski bunny babe!

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I need this machine, seriously.

I may be looking to trade Time Machine once I get it right. Regardless..... All artwork on Zaccaria pins, both Em's and Solid state are wonderful. Its sad that this family owned company didn't stay in business longer;~SpOoKy

#19 9 years ago

Time Machine.

2014-05-23 16.15.38.jpg2014-05-23 16.15.38.jpg

#20 9 years ago

me too,- picked up a segasa butterfly unit some time back and really enjoy it- and im looking to try some zaccaria stuff.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I would LOVE to own all the gen2 machines. I have been searching for a zac Time Machine longer than any other machine. I watch youtube vids of it all the time, it's hypnotic with the sounds.
They are such a vivid splash from that era.

I have a nice time machine for sale in north nj.

#22 9 years ago

Moon Flight here...

001.jpg001.jpg
005.jpg005.jpg
012.jpg012.jpg
013.jpg013.jpg
014.jpg014.jpg

#23 9 years ago

Here's the green window bar version.
Moon Flight 0044 008.jpgMoon Flight 0044 008.jpg

#24 9 years ago

I picked up a four player woods queens about a month ago and is a work in progress. Having a hard time finding pop bumper caps. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-zaccaria-woods-queen-1

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Time Machine.

2014-05-23 16.15.38.jpg 262 KB

Nice! Something about this machine, the look the sounds, I love it.

#26 9 years ago

I would get Moon Flight just for the backglass. Guess they like small B cups over there.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

I picked up a four player woods queens about a month ago and is a work in progress. Having a hard time finding pop bumper caps. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-zaccaria-woods-queen-1

Mate,
You can get pop bumper caps from PBR. They're slightly domed instead of flat, the red lettering reads 1000 points when lit and is a bit darker but they fine and look great fitted.
http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

Here's the green window bar version.

That's cool, never seen it.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

That Combat is in superb condition, as you say, MINT. Does it have the Biri Biri at 400,000?

yep, love hearing that.

#30 9 years ago

Still working on my Farfalla

#31 9 years ago

I had a chance to play a time machine last year at the mgc it is one of the coolest looking machines i've seen.

#32 9 years ago

Got a few Zaccaria myself
Fantastic games; just got a time machine last week
Added to the collection
So far ; spooky, hot wheels, Farfalla , locomotion
And Clown
Trying to find a nice Zankor next
Anybody ??

#33 9 years ago

Zankor might be the hardest Zac to find. I had mine shipped in from France. Great weird game with disco and bluegrass music alternating with early Gary Neuman electronica. Also the pre-Avatar blue men who on the standup targets look like 1930's racist depictions of Africans with big lips. I heard that they may have only made 50 of them?

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Zankor might be the hardest Zac to find. I had mine shipped in from France. Great weird game with disco and bluegrass music alternating with early Gary Neuman electronica. Also the pre-Avatar blue men who on the standup targets look like 1930's racist depictions of Africans with big lips. I heard that they may have only made 50 of them?

Did you get the Zankor from Michael ?

#35 9 years ago

Just got a Big Z Supersonic to keep Circus company. Really need some Z branded pop bumper caps minus the lamp burn spots and holes of course!

#36 9 years ago

I'd love to see some Zankor gameplay on YouTube. There's nothing out there for vids.

#37 9 years ago

I'll 2nd that. I'd like to hear this bluegrass in a Zac pin.

#38 9 years ago

Kind of. I have a mr game mac attack. It's been a hassle getting it fixed.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Kind of. I have a mr game Mac Attack. It's been a hassle getting it fixed.

Does it have that funky Lambo-like cab? If so, pics please. If not, pics please anyway.

#40 9 years ago

I have only got a Farfalla playfield ,plan on getting a whole game sometime .

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Does it have that funky Lambo-like cab? If so, pics please. If not, pics please anyway.

It's currently with a tech so pics are impossibilio(see what I did there?). Cab is kind of funky and legs are unremoveable in the conventional way at least. Has a small arcade screen in the tea slight where you play an arcade game after completing a certain criteria on the play field. Kinda pin2k but not really. Pioneering in thought if not execution for sure.

#42 9 years ago

Does anyone have a farfalla Green Lady (euro) backglass insert thats in excellent condition to sell?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Kind of. I have a mr game Mac Attack. It's been a hassle getting it fixed.

I have the mr game motor show and tecnoplay space team.... they were both a royal pain to get up and running

Someday i'd like to get my hands on mac attack, dakar, and world cup

#44 9 years ago

Would anyone happen to were I can get a chime coil for my woods queen?

#45 9 years ago

I have 7 zacs currently and trying to get a full collection of Gen 2's.

Currently I have

Farfalla
Magic Castle
Time machine
Devil riders
Locomotion
Strikes
Robot

Current projects relating to zacs are
Repoing the Time machine ramp with improved design and durability
Rescreening Robot cabinets
Possible flat packs of new robot cabinets
Repoing the coin slot bezel (preferably in metal like williams did)

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

Would anyone happen to were I can get a chime coil for my woods queen?

What is the coil part number. It should be on the others, it'll be a Z with some numbers. It is a Williams coil really, so PBR will most probably have it. Just find the W coil with the same numbers and it will be identical.

#47 9 years ago

The number of the coil is 22-550-FL.

20140601_204552.jpg20140601_204552.jpg
#48 9 years ago

Mate,
PBR list a Williams G22-550. I recently bought a chime box from a Lucky Fruit and that was a copy of a Gottlieb chime box, the chime coils Gottlieb used in a 1970 game are A12092. I reckon one or the other should work. Try mailing PBR with your coil dimensions to have them compare with the two and see if one is the same. Probably only the length of the coil matters, the plunger should be the same diameter, worth double checking. A standard chime/bell plunger should fit, I would think.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I'd love to see some Zankor gameplay on YouTube. There's nothing out there for vids.

I'm going to do this over the weekend if I get a chance.

#50 9 years ago

We're looking for a few Zaccaria machines for the Ann Arbor pinball museum. Right now we have:
Devil rider
Pinball champ
Farfalla

looking for:
time machine
robots
magic castle
Spooky

if anyone has those please email me [email protected]
thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-zaccaria-owners-out-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.