(Topic ID: 110000)

Any Way to Customize Audio on a System 11?

By herbertbsharp

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by herbertbsharp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Does anyone know of a way to customize the audio on a System 11? Ideally I would just want to edit the roms and burn them to a chip. Hoping for something like pinball browser but I have a feeling there isn't something like that available.

#2 5 years ago

Even if there were a way, I doubt you'd get any extra speech on there than it originally had because of lack of memory banks. Having to extract the code, inserting the exact format, then recompiling. You may as well PROC it for $350 which will allow you to run original and new code. Just look at what denasi did with earthshaker:

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Even if there were a way, I doubt you'd get any extra speech on there than it originally had because of lack of memory banks. Having to extract the code, inserting the exact format, then recompiling. You may as well PROC it for $350 which will allow you to run original and new code. Just look at what denasi did with earthshaker:

Thanks for the info. The video is pretty cool too. I really just want to replace some call outs... I want to put the machine on location so I'm not sure I'd want PROC but I'll into it. Thank you

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I want to put the machine on location so I'm not sure I'd want PROC

Why? pretty sure PROC can do non-freeplay. After all, the big lebowski runs it and it has coin slots (capable of being put on location)

#5 5 years ago

I guess because I thought you had to have it hooked up to a PC to work. I know I could put a small one inside the cabinet but I was hoping to avoid that I guess. I t would give me a lot more freedom though, so it might be worth it.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I guess because I thought you had to have it hooked up to a PC to work. I know I could put a small one inside the cabinet but I was hoping to avoid that I guess

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/p3roc/index.html

"The computer therefore has very little to do and can thus be very small. In fact, most games can run fine using a small single board computer like a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone, and they can run stock operating system images without low level kernel hacks"

raspberry pi A plus is now $20 and runs on only 5v @ 1 watt of power.

#7 5 years ago

Pinsound makes a board that fits some system 11 games. You can use what ever sounds you want. There are some other posts about on pinside.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbt:

Pinsound makes a board that fits some system 11 games. You can use what ever sounds you want. There are some other posts about on pinside.

WOW! Pinsound is exactly what I would want, but unfortunately the game I want to use it on has a system 11 sound board but it isn't compatible. I want to use it on a Bally Atlantis. Really bad.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

"The computer therefore has very little to do and can thus be very small. In fact, most games can run fine using a small single board computer like a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone, and they can run stock operating system images without low level kernel hacks"

That is really good to know, I appreciate that a lot. I wish it would work with Atlantis. I also really want to leave the rules in tact and just change the sounds. Looks like I would have to re-write all the rules?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Quoted from mbt:

So you guys helped me out a lot. Your comments helped point me in the direction I think I'm going to go. I think I'm going to tap into the switch matrix and hook it up to a beaglebone or raspberry pi. I'll write the code to play the sounds I want. I'm not sure if I can do multichannel audio with them yet, but if not I'll just hook 2 up (one for BG music & one for SFX) through a mixer. This is going to be a really fun (and probably frustrating at times) winter project. I'm pretty happy because this option will give me the creative freedom I want with audio and I'll be able to keep the rules in tact. Thanks!

EDIT: LOL looks like tapping into the switch matrix isnt as simple as I thought... UGGGG need to figure out how to do this....

#10 5 years ago

If all you really want is to re-do sounds, I think you're much better off just buying an mp3 trigger:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-sounds

Keep in mind you'll have to turn off the existing sounds, and you'll have to create a separate switch from the existing pinball's switches to trigger them (switches have a constant 6vac running through them).

it's cheap, and it's simple (if you just use the switches, not running serial commands). If you want REAL control, just buy a raspberry pi and wire it up:
    https://learn.adafruit.com/playing-sounds-and-using-buttons-with-raspberry-pi/overview

#11 5 years ago

Raspberry pi it is! Got one ordered. Programming the sound stuff will be easy, if any one has insight on how to read data going to the sound board I would appreciate it. I'll probably just run a double set of switches though

1 week later
    #12 5 years ago

OK, I have a raspberry pi up and running using pygame within python to play audio based on switch inputs. It gives me a lot more control and flexibility than the mp3 trigger was going to. I think it will really help give it a more polished feel. Minus some fine tuning (and expanding the GPIO to 30~ inputs) the audio framework is pretty well set up. I *just* need to figure out how to scan the switch matrix. I'm guessing I need to be able to determine when the the CPU pulses the columns and simultaneously check the rows - seems simple lol . There has got to be a way to do it but I'm certainly no EE. Any pointers are very welcome!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 208.87
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    € 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside