(Topic ID: 254481)

Any way to carry a WPC pin VERTICALLY up/down a staircase?

By wrd1972_PinDoc

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140808_225137.jpg
    IMG_20140808_225227 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Im repairing pins and I recently picked once up, and getting it up the basement staircase was a nightmare. The issue is s tight dog-leg at the bottom of the stairs, so using a fridge dolly wont work. It also very tight in that bend so re-maneuvering the pin, is very difficult. We ended up laying it down and lifting it a step at a time, which was awkward.

So is there any way to carry it in a vertical position, up/down the stairs? Anyone ever used a heavy strap under the pin, to serve as a lifting handle on the up-side? Any other ideas for doing this?

Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Take the head completely off.

#3 4 years ago

Straps for lifting/moving refrigerators.

And a couple human fork lift type friends to help.

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago

I've had to use 2 hand carts.
    I place one lined up with the stairs
    the other I lift game from the right side, go in sideways
    and line it up with the stair cart.

#5 4 years ago

home-brew basement stairs helperhome-brew basement stairs helper

If I understand your situation correctly, then you may be in a similar situation as I was at my last house. The landing where the dog-leg begins is big enough for people to get around the corner but not a pin strapped to an appliance dolly.

Here's what I did to solve that problem. I used wood and built a platform that raised the landing up by one stair-height. For me, the addition of one more stair's worth of width was sufficient to allow me to get the pin down the stairs to the place where it had to turn 90 degrees while still strapped to the dolly.

There was NOT enough extra space for me to be able to spin the dolly plus the pin 90 degrees, and then keep going down the final few steps. But with the mod I devised there was enough space to un-strap the machine from the dolly, get the dolly out of the way, and then spin the pin 90 degrees. I then scooted the pin forward towards the edge of the landing, towards the next step down. It was rather precarious so I had my son help spot for me. Once I did that there was enough room to get the appliance dolly back into position and re-strap the pin to it. From there, we could tilt it back onto the dolly and make it down the last few steps and into the basement.

When we moved, I bought an Escalera and with that I also added the extended lower steps you see that are partially painted in black. I wish I'd done that sooner because extending those two lower steps made it all work easily (same process, just going up the stars instead of down.)

Good luck.

IMG_20140808_225137.jpgIMG_20140808_225137.jpg

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

I used wood and built a platform that raised the landing up by one stair-height. For me, the addition of one more stair's worth of width was sufficient to allow me to get the pin down the stairs to the place where it had to turn 90 degrees while still strapped to the dolly.

That is absolute genius! Engineering background?

#7 4 years ago

If it is carpet'ed stairs, with a 90 degree turn, you can slide it down, stand it up and turn it, then slide it down again. With a helper of course.

#8 4 years ago

Escalera will get the job done but it ain't easy still

#9 4 years ago

Wow that pic is showing EXACTLY what I am speaking to. Nice solution there too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its very much appreciated.

#10 4 years ago

Here's Rensh's idea. Saw it on the thread "what machine did you bring home today..."

https://images.pinside.com/8/44/844788bc49e9a3b08076d0b64b4bedac93d6cc74/resized/large/844788bc49e9a3b08076d0b64b4bedac93d6cc74.jpeg

Looks like its custom, but its also a good idea.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Here's Rensh's idea. Saw it on the thread "what machine did you bring home today..."
    https://images.pinside.com/8/44/844788bc49e9a3b08076d0b64b4bedac93d6cc74/resized/large/844788bc49e9a3b08076d0b64b4bedac93d6cc74.jpeg
    Looks like its custom, but its also a good idea.

I had this same idea years ago. Giving you something to hold on to makes it much easier.

#12 4 years ago

Lived in a similar house to mrbillishere but the staircase didn't have that beam at the bottom. Me and 1-2 buddies were able to swing it around that bend and make it work.
    Otherwise, we would use an appliance dolly to bring it to the bottom landing, slide the dolly off to the side, rotate the pin 90 degrees, then bring it down the last step.
    I've never used those refrigerator straps but have heard nothing but good things.

Current house I HAVE to remove the head completely. A pain but I've gotten pretty good at rewiring the connectors.
    Since the head is already off, I often remove the playfield also just to make it lighter and more manageable.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Lived in a similar house to mrbillishere but the staircase didn't have that beam at the bottom. Me and 1-2 buddies were able to swing it around that bend and make it work.
    Otherwise, we would use an appliance dolly to bring it to the bottom landing, slide the dolly off to the side, rotate the pin 90 degrees, then bring it down the last step.
    I've never used those refrigerator straps but have heard nothing but good things.
    Current house I HAVE to remove the head completely. A pain but I've gotten pretty good at rewiring the connectors.
    Since the head is already off, I often remove the playfield also just to make it lighter and more manageable.

Pretty much my story here. For newer pins I don’t mind removing the head, but the older ones I have to figure out a way to get them out. My problem isn’t a dog-leg, it’s that we need to get the game out of our side basement door and right up the concrete steps outside. I have a big appliance dolly but may be going for an Escalera eventually! I too built the extra step up, and have a ramp which gets us out the door. It’s not quite as easy as a small set of extra stairs, but the overhead clearance doesn’t allow a full step up until you’re outside. My friends hate my basement.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

[quoted image]
    If I understand your situation correctly, then you may be in a similar situation as I was at my last house. The landing where the dog-leg begins is big enough for people to get around the corner but not a pin strapped to an appliance dolly.
    Here's what I did to solve that problem. I used wood and built a platform that raised the landing up by one stair-height. For me, the addition of one more stair's worth of width was sufficient to allow me to get the pin down the stairs to the place where it had to turn 90 degrees while still strapped to the dolly.
    There was NOT enough extra space for me to be able to spin the dolly plus the pin 90 degrees, and then keep going down the final few steps. But with the mod I devised there was enough space to un-strap the machine from the dolly, get the dolly out of the way, and then spin the pin 90 degrees. I then scooted the pin forward towards the edge of the landing, towards the next step down. It was rather precarious so I had my son help spot for me. Once I did that there was enough room to get the appliance dolly back into position and re-strap the pin to it. From there, we could tilt it back onto the dolly and make it down the last few steps and into the basement.
    When we moved, I bought an Escalera and with that I also added the extended lower steps you see that are partially painted in black. I wish I'd done that sooner because extending those two lower steps made it all work easily (same process, just going up the stars instead of down.)
    Good luck.
    [quoted image]

That's pretty frickin' smart... Great idea.

#15 4 years ago

I use 'forearm forklift' straps for lifting pins and arcade machines and they work great. I cannot fit a game on a dolley down my basement stairs due to the two 90 degree turns and small landings. The straps make it feel as though I'm lifting half the weight and keeps my hands free to steady the pin as we're maneuvering it. Two guys lifting a Hobbit is a breeze. Best money I ever spent.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Take the head completely off.

I agree with. Since everything disconnected, taking the playing field out is a breeze while yer at it. Don't try to be a hero. All it takes is one person to loose they're footing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-way-to-carry-a-wpc-pin-vertically-up-down-a-staircase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.