(Topic ID: 276216)

Any Vintage TV collectors out there? (online auction Aug 30 details)

By pinwiztom

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

Those were the days. I remember my folks had one that you had to take your fist to the top of it to get it to stop rolling. Oh the days of vacuum tubes. Always wanted a Philco Predicta, at least that what I think it is called. Had the tube mounted atop the guts in its own enclosure. Pretty neat for its day. These things go for some serious coin now a days. Wish I could collect them but I am way out of room with my other afflictions besides pinball. Used to repair these old guys when I was in high school. I’d go to the local tv store and take what they were tossing, sometimes bringing them home strapped to my moped. Yeppir, a moped. I was more interested in money than girls. Actually had repeat customers. Neat stuff indeed

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Philco Predicta,

They have several of these type, opening bids are $20.
    The auction house is about 30 miles from my home in Salem.

#4 3 years ago

looks like a much more affordable hobby than Pinball collecting, and doesn't take up as much space
    No where near as fun though...

#5 3 years ago

The landfill has quite a collection.

#6 3 years ago

I like how 21" used to be considered a Big Screen.
    And those 7" and 10" screens from the 40s,
    did cause a lot of eye strain i am sure.

#7 3 years ago

The Japanese-made monitors for the PBS Stations control room went like hotcakes from the UNC Surplus store. Something like they had the most accurate (resolution?) and cost a fortune when new.
    Seems hard core gamers were buying them, out of 100 of the things we found around half that worked.
    Some had dual-voltage capability, I envisioned an ultimate 12Volt fishing monitor but alas, it didn't pan out.

#8 3 years ago

I was the remote control for my dad back in the day...”hey, kid. Let’s see what else is on.” So I would have to get up and turn the channel knob until he saw something he wanted to watch. I also was the remote for volume control.

#9 3 years ago

I'm a TV collector/restorer. Limiting them to 1940's sets and have about a dozen.
    Mostly 7JP4 and 10BP4 types but a Predicta barber pole too. I've been watching this
    auction. A bit too far to drive but many sets I'd like to have. That guy had quite
    a collection, hope they find homes.

Watching baseball games on a 7" B&W TV thats over 70 years old is a blast!
    Steve

#10 3 years ago

My mother still has a console television from the 70’s (same one we used to watch “The Brady Bunch” on) and a console radio/ record player from the 50’s. It’s furniture, still in the house.

#11 3 years ago

Only hours left before the online auction starts.
    I may take a stab at a couple, just for the home decor aspect
    of some of the models.
    Fortunately I can pick up if i win since the auction house is only 30 min drive away.

#12 3 years ago

I have mostly newer crts, and yes im always on the look out for pvms. Nothing like a good tube.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I was the remote control for my dad back in the day...”hey, kid. Let’s see what else is on.” So I would have to get up and turn the channel knob until he saw something he wanted to watch. I also was the remote for volume control.

Me too! Not that bad, since there were only 3 channels!

#14 3 years ago

Auction is over.
    About 25% of items were passed over.
    Another 25% went for minimum bid of $20.
    A few classic rarer items went for $600 or $1100 or $1800,
    But vast majority went for between $25 to $150

#15 3 years ago

Damn! I was really into this auction, but we are in the middle of too much going on right now, not good timing. I’d have bought 10 of those
    Tvs. Too bad it’s across the country !

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

About 25% of items were passed over.
    Another 25% went for minimum bid of $20.

The upfront cost of collecting tv's seems pretty damn affordable - but I think I read somewhere that CRT parts for most of these are almost unobtainium? Don't know what the reproduction parts market is (if it even exists) for this ...

#17 3 years ago

I assumed that 95% of the TV sets were non working.
    Even if they worked they only have wired ANT inputs
    and no digital tuners for today's TV broadcast networks.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I assumed that 95% of the TV sets were non working.
    Even if they worked they only have wired ANT inputs
    and no digital tuners for today's TV broadcast networks.

Adapters are pretty cheap though. The oldest sets would also need a voltage conversion

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-vintage-tv-collectors-out-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.