Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RWH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside3 (resized).jpg
    2Pinside (resized).jpg
    1pinside (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bostonmark.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I just made a small contribution to this forum because you guys have helped me in the past.

I have wrenched on cars in my life (Classic VW Bugs and kit cars) and also firearms. I have enjoyed the pinball experience in life and acquired 7 machines over the last 15 years. When I first got the machines I employed a "local guy" to repair them but when I saw how easy it was to just solder a loose wire I started to work on the machines myself.

All my machines have "mint" play fields but I am digging deeper to restore all my machines. I was in Las Vegas last year at the pinball museum and had a conversation with the tech "gal" she said to replace all of the coil sleeves on a restoration so I got all the coil sleeves for my 7 machines and also all new rubber bumper parts, also kits to rebuild all the flippers with the correct gaping tool and new bushings.

That black coil dust is AMAZING!

I've been using break cleaner on the coil dust for the metal brackets and it works GREAT!

I had been using HOPPES 9 but the brake cleaner is superb!

Anyone use brake cleaner on these parts? Can't see a downside?

Best thing about taking all the coil's out is to clean the brackets and replace/lube the parts!

Some of my diverters in ATM and ST TNG needed much love for some lube.

I've posted some pics ... ATM had a much work needed, it worked fine but new coil sleeves make it work better!

I also replaced the coil bracket from ATM which was oblong from use and "bubba" but in non standard screws for the flipper bushing which I replaced.

Mark

1pinside (resized).jpg1pinside (resized).jpg2Pinside (resized).jpg2Pinside (resized).jpgPinside3 (resized).jpgPinside3 (resized).jpg
    #9 5 years ago

I was just using it for the metal brackets to get the crud off.

I've been replacing all the grommets with brand new ones when I take the coils out, just a good clean with brake cleaner on the metal parts.

Some of the posts that support the green guys from ATM were completely black as were the coil sleeves that I replaced. A small bronze type tooth brush I use for gun cleaning made them look brand new!

Took a cotton cleaning patch in the hole on the play field with a cleaning rod and a little Hoppes #9 an everything cleaned up nice. Hoppes #9 does not damage wood and nothing got on the play field.

After all the coil sleeves are replaced and parts under the play field looked at I remove all the plastic and rubber on top, wax with Carnuba, replace the parts and the game runs sharp and VERY FAST

Mark

P.S. Amazing what a flipper rebuild in proper alignment changes the play of the game for the better ... no flying balls

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bostonmark.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-use-brake-cleaner?tu=bostonmark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.