image-86.jpg
image-448.jpg
image-575.jpg
image-347.jpg
image-880.jpg
image-973.jpg
image-191.jpg
image-811.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1167 9 years ago
Quoted from Majesticman:

Why don't you speculators and armchair pinball conspiracists go down to Logan's and play it and then as usual and predictable rate it bad and find stupid little things that don't matter about it!

Speaking of ratings, I think you made a typo in your 2.88/10.0 rating of MM.

1 week later
#1291 9 years ago

Well, *I* am a potential customer, and I was actively enquiring about an MMR just a few weeks ago, but I will *not* purchase from a company with closed communication policies (e.g., PPS, Skit-B).

#1353 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

where do people come up with this stuff ...

The Law of Information Flow

"Information, like electricity, WILL flow, and it will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance."

If you don't communicate with stakeholders, the grapevine will thrive. If you communicate with stakeholders, you can keep the grapevine in check.

1 week later
#1625 9 years ago

Wow, mirror paste! Lloyd's whipping out the big guns!

#1662 9 years ago

Does Stern only operate with a single shift per day, or do they also have the capability and manpower to run double or triple shifts? Multiple shifts could put a serious dent into the production target, while keeping labor costs controlled.

In a contract manufacturing scenario, I doubt either party (buyer or manufacturer) would be willing to eat overtime costs. Normal OT (time & a half) chews up profits quickly. Holiday OT (double time) is practically unthinkable outside of hard deadlines with liquidated damages attached.

Also, what is Stern's normal practice for physical inventories? Even if they have a perpetual inventory system in place, their audit &/or lender requirements may also dictate that a year-end physical inventory take place.

For manufacturing companies with a fiscal and calendar year in sync (i.e., both ending on 12/31), many choose to conduct physical inventories in December because the manufacturing schedule during the Christmas holidays is often slow anyway, and physical inventories require that manufacturing shut down for a period of time to ensure accurate item counts for all Stock Keeping Units (SKUs). Obviously, if they have to halt manufacturing for a period of time to complete a physical inventory, that would lower the amount of finished goods that could be produced in the period.

2 weeks later
#2015 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

it might say Centerflank on the apron...
that's $300 extra right there.

Maybe if it said labnip, they'd give you a discount?

1 week later
#2191 9 years ago

We all know that "making pinball machines is hard." (Thanks, Nate!)

But let's be realistic here. It's not exactly rocket science.

Oh wait!

Quoted from PPS:

Exactly ... very much like a launching a rocket ship, most of the production control has shifted to mission control Chicago (CGC/Stern) ...

#2206 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think we are seeing delays now because Stern has their production model perfected ... and WON'T start until all the ducks are lined up.

Which is probably appropriate in this situation, assuming the manufacturing was contracted on a lump sum basis (fixed $ per machine). If it was contracted on a time & materials basis, and Stern's labor gets paid whether they are actively manufacturing machines or waiting for parts, then Stern could be more lax about supply disruptions.

Stern obviously doesn't want to eat unnecessary costs for re-scheduling/overtime due to poor supply management upstream of their plant. Hopefully, they have terms in the contract regarding change orders to cover deviations from plan, and those change orders would be priced on a T&M basis. Hopefully, they also have a liquidated damages clause to cover opportunity costs due to a significant business interruption. Those terms would give them more manufacturing flexibility in light of scheduling uncertainties.

Regardless, an unexpected just-in-time inventory supply scenario is not going to work for a contract manufacturer with relatively few economies of scale compared to some other huge manufacturing plants. This isn't a world-class automotive manufacturing plant churning out 500,000 units per year.

Post edited by Razorbak86: Changed 500,000 units a month to 500,000 units "per year."

#2232 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Let us know where there is a "world-class" automotive manufacturing plant that churs out 500,000 cars or light-duty trucks a month. And no, Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars don't count.

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant 500,000 units a year, and I was thinking of Nissan's plant in Smyrna, TN, because I had referenced that plant about a month ago on another thread.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/cars/2014/06/04/nissans-smyrna-plant-become-worlds-largest/9955033/

Prior post has been corrected.

#2238 9 years ago

I wasn't knocking Stern's plant. It's the best in the pinball manufacturing industry, and it has proven itself over many decades. Nevertheless, compared to other huge manufacturing plants which are highly automated, Stern's plant is much lower volume (i.e., ~20,000 units/year +/-?, or 4% of Smyrna's annual output) and still fairly labor intensive. Therefore, production delays due to inventory shortages have a disproportionate impact on total manufacturing costs because of the higher labor content.

1 week later
#2561 9 years ago

Merry Christmas, Lloyd. The pinball hobby is lucky to have you!

#2577 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Then he goes on to say all the problems will get fixed got next time. How is that going to happen if PPS doesn't have overall respinsibility for the game?

It could be fixed pretty easily, if it's mainly a contractual problem due to weak contracts between PPS acting as the Licensor and General Contractor and CGC and Stern acting as Sub-contractor and Manufacturer. If the existing contracts for Game #1 are weak, write a stronger contract with real teeth for Game #2. For example, you can include progress billings tied to rigid milestones (i.e., 10% at prototype complete, 10% for participation in Expo, 10% for sample games on location, 20% at final testing complete w/ inspection sign-off, 25% at production start, and 25% at production complete). You can also include penalty clauses for schedule slippage, project management reporting requirements, onsite inspection requirements during production and testing, and liquidated damages for non-performance.

But if the contracts are pretty tight already, and the GC is just frustrated because of non-performance by the sub, then that's a lot harder to fix going forward, because it probably requires going with a different sub altogether.

#2600 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The main thing is electricity and air for the hand tools. So, a few big ass air compressors and pipe to route to the work stations. Same for electricity, conduit and wire is more forgiving than threaded steel pipe.

Unfortunately, the manufacturing floor space isn't the real problem. I doubt anyone would purchase equipment (new or used), install it, test it, and then go out and recruit, hire, and train a labor force required to run it for just for one spec game (e.g., Game #2), much less just to build/finish the current game (MMr). The return on investment just isn't there.

Besides, I doubt the problem here is with the manufacturer (Stern). It sounds like its predominantly with the sub (CGC).

Time will tell, eventually, and the information WILL flow, taking the path of least resistance (i.e., either through official dissemination, or through the grapevine), as it always does.

#2627 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's hard to say. I do know that we don't need any more updates. It sounds like nobody has any idea how long it's going to be, which is crazy at this point, but it could be days or it could be months.

Yeah, who needs official updates, when we'll eventually find out through the grapevine anyway, with all of its accompanying noise and drama.

#2676 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Kind of hard to explain.
I help Rick. That's the easiest way to put it.
LTG : )™

So you don't have an actual written contract to provide support for either party?

#2712 9 years ago

This is an example of screen tearing... image.jpgimage.jpg

#2891 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

It is fixable, and i'm happy to help

Yes, you've been consistent in saying that, and you clearly have the skill set to provide assistance. I'm shocked that Rick has not yet contacted you for help.

#2893 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I was really close to adding an offer to go with labnip's, but after seeing some other PPS posts, I'll just sit and watch them try to work it out, and I would encourage labnip to do the same.

Well, the good news is that Rick has been on Pinside a LOT in the last 24 hours, posting information, interacting with customers, answering questions, doing all the right things that people who excel in customer service are known for.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-playfield-overlays-using-original-wms-art-cleared-by-wms-for-pps?tq&tu=PPS

So I would encourage you to engage in conversation with him, since he has available time and is, as always, focused on exceeding his customers expectations.

#2920 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What *do* they know about?

Clearly licensing.

#2955 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Jesus Christ! I just checked into this thread for the first time in a year. WTF is everybody talking about? I feel like I was redirected to a Microsoft FAQ page. Beagle Bones and Beagle Boards and emulators and Rasberry pies, and MAME's? I do think it's good that they are fast and that people like them, and I think it's probably bad when screens tear. But I'm not really sure.
Damn, I think the world has passed me by while I was playing Kings and Queens.

You should probably visit the PPS forum, 'cause that's where all the REAL information is flowing.

2 weeks later
#3324 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Why does Noone get to go first?

Because he ordered the gold trim. Duh!

#3381 9 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

I don't get why you seem upset for me doing exactly what you asked people to do. I know that's been done before on the PPS website when it was a positive update and you didn't seem to have an issue.

He's not upset. That's his happy face.

#3537 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

where do people come up with this stuff ...

Quoted from PPS:

I knew when I answered that question it would be on pinside in minutes.

Quoted from HOOKED:

I spoke with Rick a few days ago, he sounds wiped out.

Quoted from dkazz1:

So is this a MMR update thread or an episode of "the young and the restless"?

Quoted from westofrome:

I know, right? Who's called Rick for the "Monday" update? It's time for my stories, people.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

The Law of Information Flow
"Information, like electricity, WILL flow, and it will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance."
If you don't communicate with stakeholders, the grapevine will thrive. If you communicate with stakeholders, you can keep the grapevine in check.

#3546 9 years ago

More like Cassandra.

#3554 9 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

This seems like the norm for most companies these days not just pinball manufacturers. The internet is a sea of insanity, I don't blame them for carving out a spot to minimize that noise. This thread is a great example of the amount of crap you have to sift through in order to find a nugget of valuable news or information. When I have a question about a product I email or call that company. I don't need to debate about it in a public space unless I'm after user reviews and I see little value in a company being involved in that conversation.

No kidding. You should check out the dedicated forum on the Spooky Pinball website.

http://www.spookypinball.com/dedicated_forum

Without that dedicated forum to channel the sea of insanity, there would be Spooky Pinball "drama" all over Pinside.

#3568 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

There really is an art to communicating online with customers.

Absolutely, and the way you handle "service recoveries" can build fierce loyalty amongst your customer base.

1 week later
#4064 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern can box them up and freight them to CGC in bulk.. and then let CGC distribute. That's probably the cleanest for everyone from a liability point of view. Stern delivers and can get a clean handoff to invoice for... and they don't get involved at all with who is buying what. Which is a bit proprietary.
CGC sends a build list to Stern.. they get a truck load of boxed games back.. along with a Stern invoice. CGC then does distribution to their distributors.. either drop ship to customers or to the distributors however they worked their deals.

I agree with you regarding liability management, clean handoff for invoicing, and maintaining proprietary customer lists.

Having said that, it makes no sense to do final QC/inspection at anyplace other than Stern. Either Stern needs to be contractually responsible for final inspection, or CGC needs to have onsite personnel at Stern's plant performing final inspection before the machines are shipped anywhere. Waiting to do final inspection at CGC is just a nightmare waiting to happen.

#4094 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And it's easier to put bodies at Stern's site to do so as part of the QA done after they've come off the line.

Most importantly, if you find problems that need to be corrected, the machines are already at the factory and within feet of the production line, tooling, fixtures, and skilled labor who are best able to correct any deficiencies immediately.

#4130 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Freudenschade
This is about as close as I can come, it's some inadequacy in *some* people to see other people doing things, so all they can do is try to find fault so as to draw attention to themselves, so kind of low-self esteem thing, so the more they do it, the more it's a cry for help ... lol
Maybe we can kickstart a social study for these pinball people and start a foundation to help them with their issues ...
rick

Wow! I'm not surprised that you think that, but I'm surprised that you actually wrote it on a public forum. You really don't have an internal filter when it comes to public relations, do you?

#4217 9 years ago
Quoted from RavellevaR:

What other "head of a prominent company" responds to questions via online forum?

Gabe Newell at Valve. Goes by the userID "gaben". He's just a billionaire, though, so perhaps he doesn't meet your criteria?

#4235 9 years ago
Quoted from RavellevaR:

I had to google what valve is as I'm sure most would... So I doubt many would consider it a "prominent company" either.

ROFLMAO! Thanks. That made my day.

#4326 9 years ago

There were at one one time, at least.

3 weeks later
#4885 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

what happened to the "tilt" button ?

It's been moved to the "!" symbol in the bottom right hand corner of attached photos. Looks like you can no longer "tilt" entire posts, but you can still "tilt" photos.

1 week later
#4922 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Complainers have nothing to complain about

So why do you keep complaining about the complainers?

#4953 9 years ago
Quoted from lynn32839:

As Pinside is my only source of the "latest news"...has anyone received their MMr or is there any updates on deliveries?

All the REAL information gets posted on the private PPS forum. PLENTY of info over there. Or you could just call Rick.

#4997 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

They should just cancel their orders altogether...then they wouldn't have to waste time on the internet complaining.

Maybe you should cancel your order... Then you wouldn't have to waste time on the Internet complaining about the complainers.

#5004 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i bet boeing had the right boxes before ordering
airplane-box-1.png (Click image to enlarge)

Nice PhotoShop. Everyone knows there is no prop on the 787!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-update-on-mmr-production?tu=razorbak86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.