image-86.jpg
image-448.jpg
image-575.jpg
image-347.jpg
image-880.jpg
image-973.jpg
image-191.jpg
image-811.jpg

There are 5,504 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 111.
#1451 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

It'd be funny if he did only sell 1000 overall like when he first wasn't sure he could. The price was too high for what he was offering. If I bring $8k to the magical pinball store, I have so many options for $8k-8500. I don't think I'd leave with a MM.

But perhaps you would ....
Still a GREAT pin

#1452 9 years ago

Now that they are actually shipping soon, I bet some orders fill up.

#1453 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

It'd be funny if he did only sell 1000 overall like when he first wasn't sure he could. The price was too high for what he was offering. If I bring $8k to the magical pinball store, I have so many options for $8k-8500. I don't think I'd leave with a MM.

The price was perfect at the time given how quickly 1000 deposits were taken. If the machine could have been produced/shipped on the original time table, I suspect far more games would have been sold than what seems to be sold now. It is only in the last few months that the magical pinball store has had so many other options. MMR will be the first and last PPS remake at $8k unless they only want to be a bit player in the new machine market moving forward.

#1454 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I spoke with a distributor that is paying over retail to fill request he has for MMr from customers that now want in.

Yes I also talked to a retailer and he's selling the 2 he has for $9,500 sold them both yesterday! That's great news if they are only making 600 games makes it even more rare and collectible thanks WHYSNOW for your wealth of information

#1455 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think he got that number from the same place he got PPS's BOM for MMRLE. (i.e. see below)

Slow down now, Whysnow's BOM numbers were based on irrefutable logic but this is a mere guesstimate, so he could be off by as much as 5%.

#1456 9 years ago
Quoted from Teddybeer:

That's great news if they are only making 600 games makes it even more rare and collectible .....

Errrhmmm, until they run them again.

Buy it as a playing-device you love to play, not as rare collectible because it's not

#1457 9 years ago
Quoted from Teddybeer:

Yes I also talked to a retailer and he's selling the 2 he has for $9,500 sold them both yesterday! That's great news if they are only making 600 games makes it even more rare and collectible thanks WHYSNOW for your wealth of information

Seriously?? You must be a shell for said dealer. They will make the 1000 if sales are there and anybody can buy one right without an issue.

#1458 9 years ago

"playing-device"

#1459 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

"playing-device"

is it not ?

#1460 9 years ago
Quoted from Teddybeer:

Yes I also talked to a retailer and he's selling the 2 he has for $9,500 sold them both yesterday! T

of course you did...

Bullshit_Amplifier_Detector.gifBullshit_Amplifier_Detector.gif
#1461 9 years ago

Just to satisfy curiosity ...

- we have orders for xxx (3-digit, you can guess) MMR standards at this point
- due to the delay of MMR standards beyond the LE, we have not even solicited many of the major arcade game dealers around the world, and when we do we expect to have a large jump in standing orders for MMR Stds
- I'm sure there are resellers who ordered MMR LE's (which all 1000 have been sold to resellers btw) who hold on and meter some out for various reasons - happens on most every new game for every brand, so there is nothing new about this.
- Now that the masses see this as really real, there is an large uptick in those wanting the game, which is good as it will be a good game.

Also, totally unrelated to the above topic, the MMR on location in Chicago has reported no issues in the 3 weeks that they have had it there, so this is good news, as the only issue they have reported is the long line that was there when we first got it there of people who wanted to play it.

thanks,
[email protected]

#1462 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

- due to the delay of MMR standards beyond the LE, we have not even solicited many of the major arcade game dealers around the world, and when we do we expect to have a large jump in standing orders for MMR Stds
- I'm sure there are resellers who ordered MMR LE's (which all 1000 have been sold to resellers btw) who hold on and meter some out for various reasons - happens on most every new game for every brand, so there is nothing new about this.
- Now that the masses see this as really real, there is an large uptick in those wanting the game, which is good as it will be a good game.

Thanks, Rick. it is refreshing to hear first-hand data, rather than the wishful thinking of MMR's biggest haters presented as fact.

#1463 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Thanks, Rick. it is refreshing to hear first-hand data, rather than the wishful thinking of MMR's biggest haters presented as fact.

Not sure I would consider 'xxx' orders as "data".

#1464 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Not sure I would consider 'xxx' orders as "data".

More than 99, less than 1,000. It's data, just fewer significant digits than you were hoping to see.

Also, indirect confirmation that PPS/CGC has sold all 1,000 LEs, regardless of how many have been resold by distributors.

#1465 9 years ago

Also, those tossing out BOM numbers (as had been done for WOZ were a joke), to even attempt this without being part of the inner circle is not very credible - what the 'real' question would be is the 'cost', the cost is comprised of:

- Parts costs - which can vary based on quantities and blanket order negotiations or not ...
- Amortization of tooling - how on earth would anyone know that as I doubt anyone know what tooling had to be made and how much it costs and how it is being applied
- Royalty costs - I doubt anyone has this information ...
- Infrastructure costs - various costs to startup the entire intiative
- NRE (non-recurring engineering) - I don't even know exactly how much Chicago Gaming spend on this, but I think it was alot, as there is alot of engineering design, and software design, etc. Even if you knew you would then need to figure out how to amortize it against how many units, and for what period of time.
- Contract Mfg Cost - how much is Stern charging to build the game per unit
- There are other costs that go into the game - pre-pro units, testing, other inputs, video production, etc etc etc.

SO, nobody really has the industry insight as well as the specific knowledge of this situation to pull this estimate together as there are way to many variables that no one is in a position to know other than perhaps 2-3 people. You can probably guestimate, but when you have so many guestimates then it's not really a credible exercise. When it's not really a credible exercise, you have to ask why people need the attention to throw these things out ... I don't know why certain people are obsessed with this.

rick

#1466 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Also, totally unrelated to the above topic, the MMR on location in Chicago has reported no issues in the 3 weeks that they have had it there, so this is good news, as the only issue they have reported is the long line that was there when we first got it there of people who wanted to play it.
thanks,
[email protected]

So Rick when will game XXXr be announced?

#1467 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

nobody really has the industry insight as well as the specific knowledge of this situation to pull this estimate together as there are way to many variables that no one is in a position to know other than perhaps 2-3 people. You can probably guestimate, but when you have so many guestimates then it's not really a credible exercise. When it's not really a credible exercise, you have to ask why people need the attention to throw these things out ... I don't know why certain people are obsessed with this.
rick

Obsession isn't the right word - people are interested in the costs to get an understanding of WHY the costs of new games are as high as they are. Clearly the cost of a game is more than the sum of its's parts.

If we all understood the cost side of things better there probably wouldn't be as much complaining on the price side.

#1468 9 years ago

It is actually pretty easy to get a rough estimate of BOM for building a pinball machine if you are even remotely in any circle and paying attention. This is a pinball forum where actual pinheads like to discuss fun things like "how much do you think it costs to build a game?" I know you like to think it is all about you and that we are all obsessed with PPS, but trust me we are just obsessed with pinball in general

I don't even need to come up with a BOM to know that you are making bank on MMr.

It really comes down to you are a savvy and by many accounts, cutthroat, businessman.

If Stern can develop and build a completely new machine every 4 months from ground up and charge less than 5k (while paying artists and designer and... that comes with actually making a completely new game), then I sure hope you are able to remake a game that is 20 years old and already had the vast majority of parts already engineered/designed for even less than they can.

If Spooky can develop and build a new company and new machines on a small scale from the ground up and change less than 6k...

Basically, if you are not making at least 3k profit per MMr then I am going to have to second guess how savvy of a businessman you really are.

Nothing wrong with making an honest buck, but seems silly to try and come on a hobby forum and attempt to down play your profits to the people buying the games while essentially not even providing any real info.

Glad you are finally getting games out the door soon and making lots of people happy that want them.

When do you expect to have the last LE delivered?
When will the first LE be delivered?
What games are being made first/delivered first?

#1469 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It is actually pretty easy to get a rough estimate of BOM for building a pinball machine if you are even remotely in any circle and paying attention. This is a pinball forum where actual pinheads like to discuss fun things like "how much do you think it costs to build a game?" I know you like to think it is all about you and that we are all obsessed with PPS, but trust me we are just obsessed with pinball in general
I don't even need to come up with a BOM to know that you are making bank on MMr.
It really comes down to you are a savvy and by many accounts, cutthroat, businessman.
If Stern can develop and build a completely new machine every 4 months from ground up and charge less than 5k (while paying artists and designer and... that comes with actually making a completely new game), then I sure hope you are able to remake a game that is 20 years old and already had the vast majority of parts already engineered/designed for even less than they can.
If Spooky can develop and build a new company and new machines on a small scale from the ground up and change less than 6k...
Basically, if you are not making at least 3k profit per MMr then I am going to have to second guess how savvy of a businessman you really are.
Nothing wrong with making an honest buck, but seems silly to try and come on a hobby forum and attempt to down play your profits to the people buying the games while essentially not even providing any real info.
Glad you are finally getting games out the door soon and making lots of people happy that want them.

If he is making 4k per game, who cares? YOU should have sacked up and bought the rights yourself if you think it's so easy. A year and a couple months ago a MM would have cost you 15-20k, now they're $8k. Do you want him to sell at cost to be a nice guy? It's a business. Go back to pumping up WOOLY (which does look cool).

#1470 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

So Rick when will game XXX be announced?

will not be announced until it's nearly done, which is a different timeframe from when people will know what it will likely be ... maybe we will be requesting quotes for multiple titles or things like that to keep people guessing ...

rick

#1471 9 years ago

Finally got to play one today (at Australian Pinball Expo)...

* Overall looks exactly like the original except the Williams logo....and no warnings on the back of the back box.
* Flippers were very strong, and they were set on 5 (out of 10).
* IMO felt and played way better than one of the original ones that I played also at Expo.
* The play field clear coat looked a little bumpy and uneven, and not really thick. Not sure if that is a Prototype issue and will change in production. Are these Prototypes supposed to have the "double Clearcoat" promised?
* The LED blink was not very strong...for example on the Lock 1/2/3 green inserts, it was hard to tell which ones were solid and which were blinking. Not sure what the issue is here (i.e. a setting or a nature of the LED board configuration.
* A couple of Multiballs I started went into multi ball mode, but did not release any more balls.
* Some of the play field printing didn't line up properly with the holes etc.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

Other than that it is still MM, and regardless of who is making it, MM is a great game.

#1472 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

* Some of the play field printing didn't line up properly with the holes etc.

That needs fixed! I'm sure it will be...I hope.

#1473 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

will not be announced until it's nearly done, which is a different timeframe from when people will know what it will likely be ... maybe we will be requesting quotes for multiple titles or things like that to keep people guessing ...
rick

Hmmm CCr, MBr & AFMr seem to be a given (not sure in what order) the bigger question is could a BBBr, KPr or maybe a TAFr ever happen?

#1474 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Hmmm CCr, MBr & AFMr seem to be a given (not sure in what order) the bigger question is could a BBBr, KPr or maybe a TAFr ever happen?

hmmm... a TAFr might be a tough one.
they're always available and over last many years, seem to range in sales price from $3500-$6500.
don't know if PPS could make much on them if MMr prices represent a baseline in margins.
a TAFr might need to be around $5000? to balance profit & volume? That price assumes the bulk of engineering investments on MMr can be reused for other pins, reducing their r&d, manufacturing & qa costs to allow for lower MSRP while maintaining a healthy enough margin.

just noodling...

#1475 9 years ago

Everyone here knows you have some sort of axe to grind with PPS. Can you take it somewhere else? Just because your friends moms cat was at expo and overheard someone pass a note about something doesn't make it remotely accurate.

You keep asking these ridiculous questions that no businessman in their right mind would answer, and see it as some sort of victory when they don't answer. Besides your questions, your statements are insanely incorrect. Stern building games from the ground up? Like every Stern game doesn't use the same boards? The same ball trough? The same transformer? The same cab? The same same lighting system?

Thanks for pointing out there is nothing wrong with making an honest buck LOL

Quoted from Whysnow:

#1476 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Everyone here knows you have some sort of axe to grind with PPS. Can you take it somewhere else? Just because your friends moms cat was at expo and overheard someone pass a note about something doesn't make it remotely accurate.

You keep asking these ridiculous questions that no businessman in their right mind would answer, and see it as some sort of victory. Besides your questions, your statement are insanely incorrect. Stern building games from the ground up? Like every game doesn't use the same boards? The same ball trough? The same transformer? The same cab? The same same lighting system?

images.jpgimages.jpg
#1477 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

A conglomerate of information that all arrives at somewhere around that number. It is a best guesstimate based on this:
The # of pinheads I knew that were originally in but ended up getting refunds or bailing. I knew ~16 people that paid a deposit in on day 1, and now only 7 of those people are still in. This is a small direct sample size but likely similar results in other groups from what has been said by others
Then I saw threads like the poll taken here which indicated that 49% of all preorders ended up bailing. This adds to an idea that ~50% of the original 1000 orders have jumped out. I can only assume that some other have jumped in to fill some of those vacated spots.
Since then, I have talked with a few distributors I know and called a few others to see if any were giving price breaks. They have all indicated they have many MMrLE available, but no price breaks at this time.
At expo I overheard someone directly involved in the project whom was talking too loudly and they were discussing numbers of LEs available.
I recently hung out with a friend that hangs out with some employees directly involved in the project and we talked about MMr. This verified my estimates with what I was guessing.
Some other things go into the guesstimate but they all arrive on there same conclusion for me which is that there are lots of MMrLE available. I assume that the speed of Stern building will be a BIG advantage for PPS as there will be some new excitement once games are coming off the line and others can opt to purchase an already built game. This will likely result in a short term increase in sales to help get more LEs accounted for.
Biggest thing is that I am super stoked for those of you that are in on the game and look forward to you all getting what YOU want!

So, your butt, basically.

#1478 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You keep asking these ridiculous questions that no businessman in their right mind would answer, and see it as some sort of victory when they don't answer. Besides your questions, your statement are insanely incorrect. Stern building games from the ground up? Like every Stern game doesn't use the same boards? The same ball trough? The same transformer? The same cab? The same same lighting system?
Please stop trolling this thread. Thanks in advance.

Jalpert, if you want to have an actual conversation, I am happy to engage. If you just want to attack then feel free to put me on ignore and leave it be.

You seem to have misunderstood or not actually read the majority of what I read as your reply is not even in context of a conversation. You neither address the points I made or even make any sense with your attacks. Please at least attempt to discuss rather than always attacking.

I really don't think any of the questions I posed are ridiculous... Don't you as an owner want to here a new quote on when games are being built, when the last ones will be delivered (I think you are the one that has been promising all LEs would be to owners in 2014?), which trim options are running down the line first? These are important question for both current owners and potential new owners (heck, I may actually buy a standard or resold LE at somepoint to put on route so sure would be nice to know when and how quickly these are running off the line).

We all know you have a very vested interest in MMr but please don't let you ownership cloud your judgement on what are completely normal questions for anyone to ask.

To address your widely erroneous conjecture that Stern is not building a new game because they use the same boardset and ball trough...
Stern does in fact develop a completely new game from the ground up every 4 months. They use the same boards and core parts but they actually make all new game specific mechs, all new art, all new programming, all new design, all new ruleset, all new ...you get the point The amount of effort that goes into making a new Stern game (which is sold for nearly 50% of MMr) is likely more, but at least equivalent to what has gone into MMr.

Keep in mind that MMr had almost all the major mechs previously reproduced, ramp molds were already done, playfields were previously made, plastics already done, original coding all done, all artwork done, etc... A large chunk of the remake work for the physical components had been done years ago. MM remake is less total work than what goes into making a new game from scratch.

You neglect to address the comment on other startup manufacturers which are making entire games from the ground up and starting new businesses from the ground up but are able to build and now even deliver games for substantially less $$$.

Again, I am very happy for all MMr owners which appear to be getting their games very soon! MM is a fun game and I hope all of you enjoy it greatly. I owned an original a few years ago and enjoyed it for the year I owned it. I may even buy a remake a few years from now when the technology is more proven and they are likely reselling for much less than current NIB prices (like all non-limited games do).

#1480 9 years ago

Stern does not build games from the ground up. They are not completely new as they re-use a lot of the same parts. It's just not true, I can't debate you on this, it's fact.

from the ground up
phrase of ground
informal
completely or complete.
"they needed to learn the business from the ground up"

Spooky is $6K? It's apples and oranges. You have no idea how much PPS has paid Williams for the rights to make the game. How much in licensing has spooky paid compared to PPS? You have no idea, but it could easily be the difference and then some.

MMR had almost all the mechs previously reproduced? Not true. There were tons of things that had to be done parts wise. You don't know and I don't know what was available from the original run. Not EVERY part has been produced, you have no idea what expenses they incurred to get these parts made.

Respond, don't respond, it's all good, but I'm not going to continue this.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Jalpert, if you want to have an actual conversation, I am happy to engage. If you just want to attack then feel free to put me on ignore and leave it be.

You seem to have misunderstood or not actually read the majority of what I read as your reply is not even in context of a conversation. You neither address the points I made or even make any sense with your attacks. Please at least attempt to discuss rather than always attacking.

I really don't think any of the questions I posed are ridiculous... Don't you as an owner want to here a new quote on when games are being built, when the last ones will be delivered (I think you are the one that has been promising all LEs would be to owners in 2014?), which trim options are running down the line first? These are important question for both current owners and potential new owners (heck, I may actually buy a standard or resold LE at somepoint to put on route so sure would be nice to know when and how quickly these are running off the line).

We all know you have a very vested interest in MMr but please don't let you ownership cloud your judgement on what are completely normal questions for anyone to ask.

To address your widely erroneous conjecture that Stern is not building a new game because they use the same boardset and ball trough...
Stern does in fact develop a completely new game from the ground up every 4 months. They use the same boards and core parts but they actually make all new game specific mechs, all new art, all new programming, all new design, all new ruleset, all new ...you get the point The amount of effort that goes into making a new Stern game (which is sold for nearly 50% of MMr) is likely more, but at least equivalent to what has gone into MMr.

Keep in mind that MMr had almost all the major mechs previously reproduced, ramp molds were already done, playfields were previously made, plastics already done, original coding all done, all artwork done, etc... A large chunk of the remake work for the physical components had been done years ago. MM remake is less total work than what goes into making a new game from scratch.

You neglect to address the comment on other startup manufacturers which are making entire games from the ground up and starting new businesses from the ground up but are able to build and now even deliver games for substantially less $$$.

Again, I am very happy for all MMr owners which appear to be getting their games very soon! MM is a fun game and I hope all of you enjoy it greatly. I owned an original a few years ago and enjoyed it for the year I owned it. I may even buy a remake a few years from now when the technology is more proven and they are likely reselling for much less than current NIB prices (like all non-limited games do).

#1482 9 years ago

What company is shipping the game if you bought directly from PPS and what's that going to cost. ?

#1483 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what is running down the line first is not an important question at all. Most of your questions have been silly.
Dropping existing licensed art on a playfield and cabinet like confetti is not exactly all new art and difficult. They do not in any way build out a game in 4 months. they roll a new one out 2 maybe 3 times a year. While one is running the next 2 (at least) are on the drawing boards. Most mechs are recycled, as has always been the case with pins. There are few game specific mechs. The part above the PF that is seen is changed out, but the driving mechs are often reused from other games. They do new programs for each game, they develop that for a year in house, release it barely playable then take another year after release to finish the code.
MMR is coded but a new boardset was developed and that old code needed to be emulated on the new hardware.

#1485 9 years ago

Some of you people have way too much free time.

Either you are willing to pay the price for the game NIB or you're not. The company can decide whatever price they like. If you don't like, it don't buy it. They do not owe any of you answers about pricing or costs of builds. If you preorder a pinball from anyone other than stern you should expect some delays. If you didn't then you were not being realistic based on the current market trends.

I have no clue why so many people that are not buying MMr are so obsessed with it.

#1486 9 years ago

I don't think it is unreasonable for people to be interested or guessing as to how many MMR standards are built or ordered. Although the machines are not "investments", it was originally presented as a "limited edition" of 1,000. People may have ordered speculating that their $8000 "investment" would be sound if they wanted to resell it or trade it later. If all of a sudden there are 5,000 standard machines made, then that is a totally different story and the $8000 price tag doesn't look so good.

#1487 9 years ago

This is an article I read Saturday n a 2006 Game room magazine. Hmmmm

20141115_124756.jpg20141115_124756.jpg 20141115_124747.jpg20141115_124747.jpg 20141115_130019.jpg20141115_130019.jpg
#1488 9 years ago

What are the small triangles on the ramps that they're talking about?

#1489 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

What are the small triangles on the ramps that they're talking about?

That's for Wayno's remake, not PPS. It's the "split" in each ramp to direct the ball to the flipper instead of SDTM. The PPS remakes will have these.

#1490 9 years ago
Quoted from Garbonzo:

it was originally presented as a "limited edition" of 1,000.

no, the *LE* was presented as a limited edition of 1000, but they were clear literally from day one that standards would be made if demand warranted it.

#1491 9 years ago

I thought PPS got clearance to use the original "triangle" ramps? It is a cool design and I would imagine you would get a lot of SDTM drains with out them on any partial ramp shot.

#1492 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's for Wayno's remake, not PPS. It's the "split" in each ramp to direct the ball to the flipper instead of SDTM. The PPS remakes will have these.

Thanks for clearing that up

#1493 9 years ago

OT: so is Wayno sitting on a mountain of MM parts or was his attempt to build MM a complete bust?

#1494 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

rick

If you make the XXXr LE with Red trim - I'm in if not will wait for standard.
Stainless or black might be alright but red would set it off - its my wifes favorite game so its a sure buy for me.
When you get around to MB Lollipop purple would be my LE choice.

#1495 9 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

I would be interested in how you came up with that number. Have you asked all the resellers how many allocated games they have left to sell?

Quoted from Whysnow:

A conglomerate of information that all arrives at somewhere around that number.

ass.jpgass.jpg

BTW,

based on this scientific calculation you have, how many Predators do you think are currently still sold... (ie pre-paid - minus those refunded and/or waiting on refunds)? 100? 125?

#1496 9 years ago
#1497 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

If you make the XXXr LE with Red trim - I'm in if not will wait for standard.
Stainless or black might be alright but red would set it off - its my wifes favorite game so its a sure buy for me.
When you get around to MB Lollipop purple would be my LE choice.

I always cringe when a pin gets all dolled up with every color of the rainbow. Most of the time you just end up making your pin look gaudy.

#1498 9 years ago

What's the cheapest anyone is getting std. For?

#1499 9 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

What's the cheapest anyone is getting std. For?

probably $10 from a cheaphooker

#1500 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I always cringe when a pin gets all dolled up with every color of the rainbow. Most of the time you just end up making your pin look gaudy.

You my friend have an open invitation to come see the gaudiness here in my arcade
I agree on color choice being everything if you going to do it.
Metallica - lollipop purple.
GNR - Gloss black
Mustang pro- Gloss black
Tron- Dark blue
Iron Man - Candy apple red
Avengers pro - now gone- Hulk Green.

Gaudy - none

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
There are 5,504 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 111.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-update-on-mmr-production/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.