View topic image gallery

IMG_3007_(resized).JPG
IMG_3037_(resized).JPG
IMG_3044_(resized).JPG
before_and_after_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_3035a_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I would like to polish up the 3 coin return buttons that are very rusty on my Bally Campus Queen, but they are held in place with a ring clip - anyone got a trick on how to remove?
IMG_3035a_(resized).jpgIMG_3035a_(resized).jpg
I removed one before on another game, but it was easier to get to (I just mangled it with plies, then replaced with one of those more normal E clips).

I'd prefer not to have to take the mechanism apart to repeat the "mangle with pliers" approach - so wondering if someone has a secret trick?

thanks

#2 8 years ago

At $8 for 300 who has time for finesse

http://www.harborfreight.com/300-piece-e-clip-assortment-67653.html

Screwdriver, needle nose . . .

#3 8 years ago

take two med flat screw drivers, put the tips together in the gap, and squeeze the handles together

#4 8 years ago

Snap Ring Pliers or needle nose pliers. Put the 'point' of the needle nose in the opening and separate handles...carefully.

#5 8 years ago

Doh! Ok so the coin stuff just in clips and lifts out, leaving two small screws. Once they are out the button can slide out and I can easily get clip off with mole grips.
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Thought I would post this in case anyone else is ever as dumb as me and needed a hint

#6 8 years ago

Don't knock yourself
You asked a question and you learned something

#7 8 years ago

Just did this exact same thing on a Bally game I was recently tidying up. I got them out with the clip intact as you did above, but I like to chuck them in a lathe and polish them with emery cloth, so I had to remove the ring. I used regular pliers on either side and gently spread it enough to remove it. Just crush it back round with the pliers to reinstall it. As long as you don't spread it too much, it won't break and it can be reused.

#8 8 years ago

Before and after photos.

before_and_after_(resized).JPGbefore_and_after_(resized).JPG

#9 8 years ago

your fooling us ! that's not the same door ! lol it looks awesome

#10 8 years ago

Thanks. I like shiny!

#11 8 years ago

Completed the door.

Started like this:
IMG_3007_(resized).JPGIMG_3007_(resized).JPG
First had to strip all that horrible green paint off:
IMG_3037_(resized).JPGIMG_3037_(resized).JPG
Primed, finished with Hammered Silver, buttons and larger bolts polished by placing in drill and pressed into Scotch brite heavy duty pads, then steel wool, then my favorite metal polish; Maas.*
Set of smaller bolts from Jeff Warwick, the gent that sells the back-glass lift channels.
New lock from PBR.
IMG_3044_(resized).JPGIMG_3044_(resized).JPG
*Disclaimer - all these things learnt from others on Pinside over the past 2 years

#12 8 years ago

Looks very nice.

#13 8 years ago

Very nice indeed!! You gonna paint that cab next?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Very nice indeed!! You gonna paint that cab next?

I've ummed and ahhed about that, but I don't think so this time. Its faded, but original. Always tricky decision. I painted a K&Q as it had been burnt, no brainer for me, but I always struggle with removing that original paint. Anyway, plan is to clean up playfield as best I can, (touch up pop caps as pbr do not make the replacements), plus, and this may seem at odds to my statement about the cab, I've ordered a new glass from BGResto as the original was super flaky. Will post pics when all done.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-trick-to-remove-these-coin-return-button-clips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.