(Topic ID: 3931)

Any tips to make the Fish Tales topper a bit quieter?

By BonisEnr

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by marcs5
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo 1.JPG
2012-01-21_13-28-19_499.jpg
2012-01-21_12-12-37_707.jpg
fish.JPG
shooting-fish-in-a-barrel.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I must say, I love the fish topper on this game and how it goes absolutely mental when you hit some shots, but my neighbours, not so much I have temporarily unplugged it, but has anyone found a good material to put on the mechanism behind the fish, to reduce the noise when it flaps? Maybe a sponge, foam pad, polystyrene... Has anyone succeeded at this with some home-made solution?

#2 8 years ago

I think either you leave it plugged in or you don't. Mine had the wire cut when I got. I soldered it back on. That's why I don't live in an apartment/condo/townhome!

#3 8 years ago

I cut wires to solenoid on mine. Not only is it noisy, but it will tear the fish.

#4 8 years ago

I unplugged mine as well, it is cool to hear it clacking like crazy when your doing good, but IMO it's just to loud and annoying for home use...

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from twizz63:

I cut wires to solenoid on mine.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

I unplugged mine as well, it is cool to hear it clacking like crazy when your doing good, but IMO it's just to loud and annoying for home use...

Blasphemy!!!

#6 8 years ago

Blasphemy indeed! I love hearing Fish Tales' topper and the monster fish roar from the rest of the house when friends are over! But then again I have no neighbors on that side of the house

#7 8 years ago

I love it too, but the wife and 4 month old baby DO NOT....I need a bigger house with seperate game room, then I will plug it back in

#8 8 years ago

Got mine plugged in.......would only turn it off if neighbours could hear. I like it!

7 months later
#9 7 years ago

last week i did a noise reduction MOD on my congo. LOL
it worked. will put a thread on it soon

#10 7 years ago

Try this

shooting-fish-in-a-barrel.jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from BonisEnr:

I must say, I love the fish topper on this game and how it goes absolutely mental when you hit some shots, but my neighbours, not so much I have temporarily unplugged it, but has anyone found a good material to put on the mechanism behind the fish, to reduce the noise when it flaps? Maybe a sponge, foam pad, polystyrene... Has anyone succeeded at this with some home-made solution?

I bought some ball dead foam from pinbits and cut out a donuts shaped piece to attach to the bracket that the back of the plunger hit.The plunger passes through the mentioned bracket.It makes a much quieter non metal clanking sound.

#12 7 years ago

Try turning up the volume on the machine, it will make the flapping less noticeable.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I bought some ball dead foam from pinbits and cut out a donuts shaped piece to attach to the bracket that the back of the plunger hit.

I did the above, and also attached a big plastic washer like you would put under a slingshot for ball strike protection to the fish where the plunger strikes it. I covered the plastic washer with fabric and filled it with a small amount of ployfill. Very quiet... you just basically feel the vibration through the machine and don't hear much of the fish. A non-pinhead friend thought the machine had a shaker in it and never noticed the fish until I pointed it out. The fish moves just as much as it used to, with very little noise, so I was happy.

#14 7 years ago

Shane, do you happen to have a picture of that? I guess I could get off my lazy ass and take a look at the assembly myself.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Shane, do you happen to have a picture of that? I guess I could get off my lazy ass and take a look at the assembly myself.

yeah please

i unplugged mine it echoed too damn bad in basement when wife trying to watch tv LOL

#16 7 years ago

Here is a well illustrated instruction on where to place the dead ball foam.
Remove the bracket holding the coil also remove the plunger.Cut out a piece that will fit and allow the plunger to pass freely.

fish.JPG

#17 7 years ago

I played on a FT in Houston at the HAAG show that I thought had a shaker motor installed because when the topper went off, instead of the clacking, it shook and actually felt a bit like a fish on the line and was really cool. When I talked to the owner, he said he didn't do anything special to the game, so I'm wondering if there is a certain configuration that the original game designers had that wasn't really "clack-based" but instead relied more on vibration? Anyone know?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I played on a FT in Houston at the HAAG show that I thought had a shaker motor installed because when the topper went off, instead of the clacking, it shook and actually felt a bit like a fish on the line and was really cool. When I talked to the owner, he said he didn't do anything special to the game, so I'm wondering if there is a certain configuration that the original game designers had that wasn't really "clack-based" but instead relied more on vibration? Anyone know?

wow that would be sweet!

#19 7 years ago

Here is a pic of the padding on the fish...

2012-01-21_12-12-37_707.jpg

#20 7 years ago

While I had the topper cover off to take that pic, I added some leds to the fish to make it look closer to the monster fish. Check it out!!!

2012-01-21_13-28-19_499.jpg

#21 7 years ago

I Un-Pluged mine @ 1 Tyme , Got annoying.. Till i read where you can adjust the Coil , i also put a Blue habitrail Rubber ball stop where the Rod smack's the Tail.. It worked !!!

1 year later
#22 6 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Un-Pluged mine @ 1 Tyme , Got annoying.. Till i read where you can adjust the Coil , i also put a Blue habitrail Rubber ball stop where the Rod smack's the Tail.. It worked !!!

How can you adjust the coil?

Is there an option in the settings somewhere to turn off the topper there without the need to disconnect the wires?

#23 6 years ago

Dead stop foam @ the back of the plunger worked for me

2 months later
#24 6 years ago

put a shooter (plunger) tip on the coil armeture

#25 6 years ago

Gone Fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 6 years ago

mine is quiet somebody disconnected it .where does it connect to?thanks joe

#27 6 years ago

Remove the armature and roll a star post rubber or 2 down to the base and reinstall.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Remove the armature and roll a star post rubber or 2 down to the base and reinstall.

I just did this and I can vouch for it. Used one star post rubber and put on a shooter tip and it's super quiet but still shakes. Took 4 minutes at most. MUCH BETTER! Actually more realistic, as stated above it is now like having a fish on the line...

#29 6 years ago

Take the whole assembly off, and sell it to me , that will make it quieter !

9 months later
#30 5 years ago

I'm having trouble with this mod. I tried up to 4 star post rubbers and the topper is just as loud as it ever was. Am I putting the rubbers in the wrong spot?photo 1.JPG

#31 5 years ago

You have them in the right spot, three should be quieting it down quite a bit.

#32 5 years ago

All I did on mine was add a single 5/16" post rubber down on the armature base where you have yours located--but I also added a piece of Pinbits Drop Dead Foam behind the Fish's Tail.

That did the trick nicely: I now get a nice "thump" kind of resembling a shaker effect (no more metal clanking).

Good luck.

#33 5 years ago

I got it working now. I switched the rubbers to white (maybe a little more give?) and only used 2. The fish sounds like a nice thud now. Thanks for the help tracelifter!

2 weeks later
#34 5 years ago

Update: I ordered a plunger tip and use one star post rubber. It is PERFECT now! Its loud enough and gives a nice pull feeling that was missing before the plunger tip. Thanks guys!

Quoted from freddy:

put a shooter (plunger) tip on the coil armeture

Quoted from tracelifter:

1 month later
#35 5 years ago

Is there any way that i can buy a kit or the correct parts to build a replica of this for my machine? I'm missing the topper

1 year later
#36 4 years ago

Yeah I'm looking for a whole assembly too. Anyone who hates the sound of it clacking can do what Freezie suggested and take the whole thing off and sell it to me . Easy fix for the noise is a shooter tip rubber on the plunger tip as suggested by Freddie..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Chatham, MA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Lafayette, IN

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside