3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cfh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

My new WOZ has a pretty bad glass scratch. Looks like the coin door got it...

Anyone know a good place to get glass inexpensively. Seems like we pay a premium for "pinball glass".

Anyone ever get it sourced from a regular glass shop?

I'd love a sheet of invisiglass but know my 2 year old is going to drive his hot wheels on my pin whenever he can...

#2 3 years ago

I've seen people say their local glass shops can make glass for <$35, around me it's double that so I stick to "pinball glass". You can just call a few places for quotes to see what it's like around you.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Regularly.

Sometimes I remember to ask and sometimes he remembers to ask and sometimes if asked the outfit that tempers the glass will remember to leave the etched "bug" off.

He usually needs some small repair on his pickup and I end up getting a couple sheets as payment. Works out pretty well.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

My new WOZ has a pretty bad glass scratch. Looks like the coin door got it....

bummer. my WOZ's coin door has a huge sticker on its top edge screaming at me to close the coin door when removing the glass.

#5 3 years ago

It helps to know someone at the glass shop. As balz mentioned, order it with "no stamp".

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

My new WOZ has a pretty bad glass scratch. Looks like the coin door got it...
    Anyone know a good place to get glass inexpensively. Seems like we pay a premium for "pinball glass".
    I'd love a sheet of invisiglass but know my 2 year old is going to drive his hot wheels on my pin whenever he can...

Call around as prices vary wildly. I got a one made for my Twilight Zone for under $40. Make sure you give them the proper dimensions including thickness.

#7 3 years ago

Good mention about the stamp, never thought about that...

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

bummer. my WOZ's coin door has a huge sticker on its top edge screaming at me to close the coin door when removing the glass.

Funny, so does mine.
    #facepalm

#9 3 years ago

Cheapest way to get glass is at Terrys pinball explosion during expo, i but a bunch every year there. Otherwise, just order from pinballlife and pay the shipping......unless you want invisiglass

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Cheapest way to get glass is at Terrys pinball explosion during expo, i but a bunch every year there. Otherwise, just order from pinballlife and pay the shipping......unless you want invisiglass

Looking at their webpage, doesn't look like they do international shipping. Looks like a really good deal for anyone local though.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Good mention about the stamp, never thought about that...

Yeah I purchased two pieces of tempered glass from a glass shop years ago. They had to be special ordered so I left them an old one as a sample. I specifically told them no stamp on the glass. I had to pay in advance since it was a custom-order. When they came in I went to pick them up and they had safety glass stamps on them. Pretty-big ones too that would have been over the playfield. I told them I wanted my money back and they refused. They said that the glass had to have the stamp by law. I told them that was BS and called my credit card company. It has the "buyers protection" on it and eventually I got my money back.

Since then, I have purchased all of my glass at pinball shows. I usually pay around $25 each and stock up.

#12 3 years ago

Lots of good info, as usual. Thanks everyone.

#13 3 years ago

If I buy it close to work (industrial area) I pay $25-$30 a sheet, depending on who's working the counter That's for standard size,(21" x 43" x 3/16" tempered, no bug (stamp) and with swiped edges. If I ask close to my house (residential area) the price jumps to $55 a sheet.
    I thought I was getting a deal by going to my local pinball distributor and bought 5 sheets at $26 a sheet but every one had a scratch from improper shipping from manufacturer to them. Good enough for location games, they said...

#14 3 years ago

I bought 6 sheets at the Allentown show this year. I think it was around $25 each if I recall. It would cost me 3x that to buy it at the local glass shop. I bought a glass for my baby pac at the local shop and it was around $60! They wanted additional $$ to get it without the etching so I chose to leave it on. Luckily its rather small and out of sight.

#15 3 years ago

Why would you want no ( logo)?? Which was the term asked by my glass guy? I replied logo please but upon pickup I saw nothing but did not really think it would matter one way or another except that in commercial use device it may be mandatory.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Try to find the place that actually does the tempering.
    Your local glass shop only takes the order and then sends it to a larger shop that cuts the glass and puts it in the the oven.
    Cut out the middleman.
    Always spec "no bug". 50% of the time they will forget and etch the bug in anyway. When you see the bug, refuse the order (there is no law requiring the bug, don't let them bullshit you). Because tempered glass can't be cut again, they will offer the glass to you at 1/2 price rather than throw it in the dumpster.

Quoted from vid1900:

If you live near a large city, find the place that tempers the glass.
    If you are buying from the local "glass shop" you are paying 3x too much.
    Gene at IPB sold playfield glass @ $15 - and he was not doing it out of the kindness of his heart, he was banking.

Quoted from rcarlson:

You can always order tempered glass with out the "bug" on it. When placing your order ask to have "no bug" on the tempered glass (the bug is the making stating it is tempered)
    If you have tempered glass installed installed in a commercial setting such as a glass door or window the bug must be on the glass. Since most tempered glass is installed in commercial settings it is assumed you want the bug on the glass.

Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, always ask for no bug.
    Bathroom windows in/above tubs or showers, skylights and doors need the bug so the building inspector can give CoO.
    You don't need the bug for pinball, aquariums, cold frames......

#17 3 years ago

I used to get great deals on glass, but the price has gone up recently.
    I can still get it cheap enough to sell for $35/sheet, if you're under that you're doing good.
    specify no logo" and it shouldn't be a problem

#18 3 years ago

Places I have tried either don't sell to public, charge too much, or have no idea what I am wanting to order. I just get mine from pinball life!

#19 3 years ago

there's better pricing in volume, but then there's the shipping issue. I'm quite spoiled living so close to pinball life.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

there's better pricing in volume, but then there's the shipping issue. I'm quite spoiled living so close to pinball life.

How much do they charge?

#21 3 years ago

I get mine for $30 from my pin tech and he even delivers them too. Anyone ever lay a glass on the floor with a 2x4 under each end and stand on the middle of the glass? I did a couple times, it was cool to bounce up and down on it and not have it break.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

How much do they charge?

I believe it's tiered pricing depending on how many you buy. Starts at $25/sheet for standard size glass and goes to $20/sheet if you buy 5 or more. Like Toyotaboy, I just go pick it up when I need more glass and buy at least 5 sheets at a time to get the discount pricing. Given that you're in Chicago, this is probably your best bet.

Dave

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

vid1900 said:

Try to find the place that actually does the tempering.
    Your local glass shop only takes the order and then sends it to a larger shop that cuts the glass and puts it in the the oven.
    Cut out the middleman.
    Always spec "no bug". 50% of the time they will forget and etch the bug in anyway. When you see the bug, refuse the order (there is no law requiring the bug, don't let them bullshit you). Because tempered glass can't be cut again, they will offer the glass to you at 1/2 price rather than throw it in the dumpster.

vid1900 said:

If you live near a large city, find the place that tempers the glass.
    If you are buying from the local "glass shop" you are paying 3x too much.
    Gene at IPB sold playfield glass @ $15 - and he was not doing it out of the kindness of his heart, he was banking.

rcarlson said:

You can always order tempered glass with out the "bug" on it. When placing your order ask to have "no bug" on the tempered glass (the bug is the making stating it is tempered)
    If you have tempered glass installed installed in a commercial setting such as a glass door or window the bug must be on the glass. Since most tempered glass is installed in commercial settings it is assumed you want the bug on the glass.

vid1900 said:

Yep, always ask for no bug.
    Bathroom windows in/above tubs or showers, skylights and doors need the bug so the building inspector can give CoO.
    You don't need the bug for pinball, aquariums, cold frames....

I work for a glass company and this is all very true! I would also add that I have seen some pinball machines with 1/4" plate glass with polished edges, which is what you have before you temper it. It will be cheaper! And yes we throw away a lot of glass!

4 weeks later
    #24 3 years ago

Does anyone know the guy who sells the playfield glass at the Allentown show? I know I got a few sheets from him for $30 at the last show. I've been calling around the glass places around here and they want double that.

#25 3 years ago

Glass should be 3/16" thick tempered. We pay $20 a sheet in low quantities. Personally I always get the tempered logo on my glass. That way when someone comes in and they want a piece of glass there's no arguments as to whether it was tempered or not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 21.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside